Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,893 members, 7,876,397 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 04:18 PM

Why Have South-East Leaders Remained Silent About Boko Haram? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Have South-East Leaders Remained Silent About Boko Haram? (8543 Views)

South East Leaders & Stakeholders' Meeting: Live Update (pics) / I Want To Unite South East Leaders With Buhari – Okorocha / South-East Leaders Endorse Jonathan For Second Term (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Have South-East Leaders Remained Silent About Boko Haram? by EzeUche(m): 5:14pm On Dec 29, 2011
Why have South-East leaders remained silent about Boko Haram?

I think only one South-East governor, has mentioned anything concerning this group and that was T.A. Orji, but the rest have been silent on such issues.

For all of T.A. Orji's faults, when it comes to defending Igbos, he does not guard his words. Just remember what he said about Igbos being targeted in the North, during the election violence. Sometimes we need people like him.
Re: Why Have South-East Leaders Remained Silent About Boko Haram? by omniexprex: 5:54pm On Dec 29, 2011
Golden silence. SE is wiser now than before.
Re: Why Have South-East Leaders Remained Silent About Boko Haram? by dayokanu(m): 5:58pm On Dec 29, 2011
Golden silence you say?

You know Ibos are the majority killed in that Catholic church bombing?

Yet the leaders keep quiet?

Maybe because they supported Jonathan with 98% votes they are scared to say anything against his govt and would rather the Ibo populace in the North be sacrificed while they keep their golden silence
Re: Why Have South-East Leaders Remained Silent About Boko Haram? by Nobody: 6:05pm On Dec 29, 2011
Boko Haram and the North are already doing enough destroying Nigeria, nothing unites the rest of the country than the voice of the Igbo man. Let us take the back seat and let the wickedness of these people be obvious to the rest of the world.

If anything all I will expect from South East Governors is to encourage Igbos in the North to come back home and start a new life. Thats about it.

We are doing just fine. They are already digging a hole for themselves. There is no need engaging a drowning man in a fight!!!
Re: Why Have South-East Leaders Remained Silent About Boko Haram? by Nobody: 6:14pm On Dec 29, 2011
Why would they talk when money is not involved ?
Re: Why Have South-East Leaders Remained Silent About Boko Haram? by EzeUche(m): 6:16pm On Dec 29, 2011
mikeansy:

Boko Haram and the North are already doing enough destroying Nigeria, nothing unites the rest of the country than the voice of the Igbo man. Let us take the back seat and let the wickedness of these people be obvious to the rest of the world.

If anything all I will expect from South East Governors is to encourage Igbos in the North to come back home and start a new life. Thats about it.

We are doing just fine. They are already digging a hole for themselves. There is no need engaging a drowning man in a fight!!!

Your post makes sense. Good point.
Re: Why Have South-East Leaders Remained Silent About Boko Haram? by Chyz2: 7:10pm On Dec 29, 2011
mikeansy:

WORD. cool
Re: Why Have South-East Leaders Remained Silent About Boko Haram? by sheyguy: 8:14pm On Dec 29, 2011
mikeansy:

when it was Westerners taking the heat most u guys said all sort of things, now it is the Easterners and it has suddenly become a tactical move to shuttle between silence and proverbs . . . . . wonda no go end oh . . . . . .the number one tribe in Africa . . . . . . hmmm
Re: Why Have South-East Leaders Remained Silent About Boko Haram? by sheyguy: 8:15pm On Dec 29, 2011
mikeansy:

when it was Westerners taking the heat most u guys said all sort of things, now it is the Easterners and it has suddenly become a tactical move to shuttle between silence and proverbs . . . . . wonda no go end oh . . . . . .the number one tribe in Africa . . . . . . hmmm
Re: Why Have South-East Leaders Remained Silent About Boko Haram? by nedu210(m): 8:21pm On Dec 29, 2011
mikeansy:

Great talk bro.  
Re: Why Have South-East Leaders Remained Silent About Boko Haram? by Onlytruth(m): 8:24pm On Dec 29, 2011
omniexprex:

Golden silence. SE is wiser now than before.

cool cool cool

mikeansy:

Excellent post! cool
Re: Why Have South-East Leaders Remained Silent About Boko Haram? by EzeUche(m): 8:32pm On Dec 29, 2011
We must admit that we have learned this tactic from a certain group. grin
Re: Why Have South-East Leaders Remained Silent About Boko Haram? by Onlytruth(m): 8:36pm On Dec 29, 2011
EzeUche:

We must admit that we have learned this tactic from a certain group.  grin

Nwanne we have no choice!  cry
Re: Why Have South-East Leaders Remained Silent About Boko Haram? by ezeagu(m): 8:44pm On Dec 29, 2011
What are they supposed to say?
Re: Why Have South-East Leaders Remained Silent About Boko Haram? by EzeUche(m): 8:48pm On Dec 29, 2011
Onlytruth:

Nwanne we have no choice!  cry

Lets see who blink first. . .
Re: Why Have South-East Leaders Remained Silent About Boko Haram? by kettykin: 8:55pm On Dec 29, 2011
The SE should not only keep quiet , The SE should start preparing for a long and gruesome war. The SE for instance through their state universities fund researches into advanced food processing and storage, conversion and manufacturing of artificial proteins , very reliable long distance microwave communication , advanced air defence system (modernising the ogbunigwes) e.t.c

What is heppening in Nigeria now is similar in cntext to what happened before the secong coup in 1966. silence should be the watch word but there should behing the scene preparations.
Re: Why Have South-East Leaders Remained Silent About Boko Haram? by mensdept: 9:03pm On Dec 29, 2011
EzeUche:

Why have South-East leaders remained silent about Boko Haram?

I think only one South-East governor, has mentioned anything concerning this group and that was T.A. Orji, but the rest have been silent on such issues.

For all of T.A. Orji's faults, when it comes to defending Igbos, he does not guard his words. Just remember what he said about Igbos being targeted in the North, during the election violence. Sometimes we need people like him.

I commend you for starting this topic which is good, but once again, you've proven why the average Igbo of today is politically irrelavant. Do you know that T.A. Orji has brought more misery to the very state he has been selected to rule than all the Boko Harams bombings?

DO you know that all the so called selected leaders of Abia state were returned back for another four wasteful years and you guys have not decided to Bokorize them?

So no, we dont need people like him.

Nonsense
Re: Why Have South-East Leaders Remained Silent About Boko Haram? by Onlytruth(m): 9:06pm On Dec 29, 2011
kettykin:

The SE should not only keep quiet , The SE should start preparing for a long and gruesome war. [/b]The SE for instance through their state universities fund researches into advanced food processing and storage, conversion and manufacturing of artificial proteins , very reliable long distance microwave communication , advanced air defence system (modernising the ogbunigwes) e.t.c

What is heppening in Nigeria now is similar in cntext to what happened before the secong coup in 1966. [b]silence should be the watch word but there should behing the scene preparations.

Both bolded supported strongly.
I do not support depending on LOCAL weapons research and development for any future conflict. That is one bitter lesson from the civil war we must not repeat. We need INTERNATIONAL allies and suppliers of modern weapons.
My eyes are still on Israel.
Re: Why Have South-East Leaders Remained Silent About Boko Haram? by EzeUche(m): 9:10pm On Dec 29, 2011
mens dept:

I commend you for starting this topic which is good, but once again, you've proven why the average Igbo of today is politically irrelavant. Do you know that T.A. Orji has brought more misery to the very state he has been selected to rule than all the Boko Harams bombings?

DO you know that all the so called selected leaders of Abia state were returned back for another four wasteful years and you guys have not decided to Bokorize them?

So no, we dont need people like him.

Nonsense

My brother I have agreed with Mikeansy response. It makes sense now.  cool

But you do need Igbos like him, especially during war. I believe T.A. Orji and many like him including myself would fight fire with fire. People who will protect the Ndigbo at all cost.
Re: Why Have South-East Leaders Remained Silent About Boko Haram? by kettykin: 9:17pm On Dec 29, 2011
@ poster TA orji's threads should be opened,

if the igbos dont do there home work now, what happens if the big countries in their usual antics decide not back any side or to make the matters worse throw their weight behind BH backed Government (with the feeble excuse that they dont want a divided Nigeria)

The best is to start early preparations and hope to get external Collaborations
Re: Why Have South-East Leaders Remained Silent About Boko Haram? by Onlytruth(m): 9:23pm On Dec 29, 2011
kettykin:

@ poster TA orji's threads should be opened,

if the igbos dont do there home work now, what happens if the big countries in their usual antics decide not back any side or to make the matters worse throw their weight behind BH backed Government (with the feeble excuse that they dont want a divided Nigeria)

The best is to start early preparations and hope to get external Collaborations

Note that I have a key word in my post, which is "depend". We must not depend on local production of arms because it failed us woefully in the past. There is no evidence that it would fair any better today.

Of course you are right that we must do some local work, and there is A LOT of such local work.
What I would NEVER support is another war by us without any SOLID BIG POWER supporting us.
I would NEVER support that.
Re: Why Have South-East Leaders Remained Silent About Boko Haram? by mensdept: 9:29pm On Dec 29, 2011
EzeUche:

My brother I have agreed with Mikeansy response. It makes sense now.  cool

But you do need Igbos like him, especially during war. I believe T.A. Orji and many like him including myself would fight fire with fire. People who will protect the Ndigbo at all cost.

I see you have modified this post, although for the worse. If Igbo have T.A. Orji on their side during a war with Lesotho, guess what, Lesotho wins.

Is this the same Orji who has destroyed a part of Igboland for 5 years and running, who went to APGA for a day and cowardly decamped to PDP?

Is this the leader you want to fight against known conquerors (Fulani) ?

If so, then my advice is to prepare a letter to the Red Cross
Re: Why Have South-East Leaders Remained Silent About Boko Haram? by EzeUche(m): 9:55pm On Dec 29, 2011
mens dept:

I see you have modified this post, although for the worse. If Igbo have T.A. Orji on their side during a war with Lesotho, guess what, Lesotho wins.

Is this the same Orji who has destroyed a part of Igboland for 5 years and running, who went to APGA for a day and cowardly decamped to PDP?

Is this the leader you want to fight against known conquerors (Fulani) ?

If so, then my advice is to prepare a letter to the Red Cross

For all of T.A. Orji's faults and there are many, this man was the only person who told the North that they should not push the Ndigbo into a corner during the election violence.

And the way you people exagerate about T.A. Orji and Abia state is sickening. I was in Abia 2 months ago and seen everything with my own eyes. You cannot believe everything you read on the internet.

When was the last time you have been to Abia if ever? Diaspora Nigerians like to talk trash about my state when they never been there.
Re: Why Have South-East Leaders Remained Silent About Boko Haram? by Onlytruth(m): 10:00pm On Dec 29, 2011
This thread is about to descend into local stuff. I would hate that.
Please back to topic @ all
Re: Why Have South-East Leaders Remained Silent About Boko Haram? by Nobody: 11:29pm On Dec 29, 2011
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/personal-view/8980000/Does-Nigerias-Taliban-have-the-West-in-its-sights.html

Does Nigeria's Taliban have the West in its sights?
The Christmas Day bombings could be a worrying sign of things to come, says David Blair.
By David Blair
8:18AM GMT 28 Dec 2011
320 Comments
The warning signs are familiar. An armed group begins by imposing the strictures of Islamic sharia on a Muslim population, using first moral persuasion and then actual violence. Having secured its hold over a region where central government has little control, it broadens its aims and resolves to take on “enemies of Islam” wherever they may be found. What had been a local security problem explodes into an international threat.

So it was with the Taliban in the borderlands of Afghanistan and Pakistan – and so it may be with the radical Islamists of Nigeria. For the second Christmas Day in a row, a group known as “Boko Haram” has carried out bomb attacks on Christian churches, claiming dozens of lives in a country where religious strife poses a genuine threat to the survival of the state.

Boko Haram was born in northern Nigeria, a vast region bordering the approaches to the Sahara where Islamic radicalism has been gaining ground for generations. Since 1999, nine northern states have adopted sharia as the basis of their criminal and civil law, as well as parts of three more.

In practice, this has made less difference than might be thought. With typical Nigerian pragmatism, the authorities have generally chosen to tread carefully when enforcing the full rigour of sharia: the kind of executions that were commonplace in Taliban-ruled Afghanistan – and still are in Saudi Arabia – have been rare. As elsewhere in the Muslim world, faith has been subtly moulded to fit local traditions.

None the less, critics always warned that opening the way for sharia, which offends the secular spirit of Nigeria’s constitution, would simply encourage more radical demands. So it has proved. Boko Haram emerged in 2002 with the aim of imposing the strictest interpretation of sharia first in the north, and then the entire country. Its initial targets were Nigerian Christians, along with moderate Muslims. Moving from its heartland in Borno state, in the far north-east, it joined the underworld of armed groups and criminal gangs spreading across the most populous country in Africa. In the process, it trod the familiar path of becoming steadily more extreme, soon labelling the Nigerian state an “enemy of Islam” and broadening its list of targets accordingly. In June, it bombed the federal police headquarters in the capital, Abuja.

Related Articles
Boko Haram claims responsible for Nigeria attacks
25 Dec 2011
Boko Haram: the group behind the Nigerian attacks
25 Dec 2011
Church in Nigerian capital Abuja hit by explosion
25 Dec 2011
Clashes in Nigeria leaves more than 60 dead
24 Dec 2011
Nigeria al Qaeda group bomb attack on banks kills three
04 Dec 2011
Nigeria attacks kill 40
25 Dec 2011
The next big attack provided the clearest possible warning that Boko Haram had evolved into a genuinely international threat. In August, it dispatched a suicide bomber to the United Nations offices in Abuja, killing at least 21 people. A spokesman sought to justify the bloodshed in terms that could have been used by al-Qaeda itself: he denounced the UN as a tool of Western influence and warned that it would be “one of our prime targets”.

This episode had striking parallels with an earlier event on the other side of the Sahara. In 2006, Algerian Islamists, having lost the country’s civil war, allied with Osama bin Laden to become “al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb” (AQIM), warning that they would strike against Western interests wherever they were found. They made their new purpose abundantly clear by launching a suicide attack on the UN headquarters in Algiers in December 2007.

Key figures in Boko Haram are understood to have met AQIM, which has a presence in neighbouring Niger. The danger, therefore, is that it has become the latest – if unannounced – member of the al-Qaeda franchise, focusing on Western targets not only in Africa, but further afield. If so, Britain would almost certainly feature on its hit list. At least 150,000 Nigerians are thought to live here, raising the possibility that cells loyal to Boko Haram could be infiltrated into the country. A group that began operating in the remote city of Maiduguri, near the border between Nigeria and Chad, could evolve into a threat to British security, too.

There is nothing inevitable about this. While al-Qaeda did manage to extend its reach from the north-west frontier of Pakistan to the streets of London, it had key advantages that Boko Haram lacks. First, the British population of Pakistani origin is perhaps 10 times greater. Second, the determination of the Pakistani state to combat al-Qaeda’s brand of pitiless nihilism was always open to question – to put it mildly.

Nigeria’s government, by contrast, knows full well that religious extremism could tear the country apart. Christians and Muslims take a roughly equal share of the 170 million population, and attacks by one religion against the other have a history of triggering bloody cycles of retaliation and revenge. While security agencies may need to improve their ability to tackle Boko Haram, they do not lack the resolve. Already, the group’s founding leader and hundreds of its followers have been killed in clashes with security forces.

The danger is that Boko Haram will continue to draw strength from all the factors that combine to cripple Nigeria: astonishing levels of corruption, the constant misuse of the country’s oil wealth and an ever-widening gap between a venal elite and the impoverished majority. Just as the largely Christian youth of southern Nigeria join militias who kidnap oil workers, supposedly to win a fairer share of their country’s natural wealth, so northern Muslims will be tempted by an armed group that claims to be fighting a corrupt and predatory government. And in this interdependent world, Nigeria’s domestic problems could soon be ours as well.
Re: Why Have South-East Leaders Remained Silent About Boko Haram? by Nobody: 11:38pm On Dec 29, 2011
just thought I share the above with you guys

there are many dimensions to the terrorism that has befallen Nigeria
it is clear there are different factions of BokoHaram with different interests. Some local, some foreign, some about local nigerian politics, some about jihad in Nigeria. But the trouble is all of these interests are somewhat intertwined. e.g. it will be easier to achieve full scale sharia rule in Nigeria if the President is a hardline Muslim!

But I think the truth is from 2012 going forward will be very difficult for Nigeria, the Almajiri issue makes it very easy to find willing terrorists up North and the North has refused to address this problem. The arrogance of Muslims will mean we will never have a willing partner in this fight.

As BokoHaram attempts to send their message old hatreds will come to the fore and Igbos/christains up North will be the initial target.

Please please if you know anybody up North advice them to plan a careful long term relocation. Nigeria is in for a very tough ride going forward.
Re: Why Have South-East Leaders Remained Silent About Boko Haram? by manny4life(m): 5:42am On Dec 30, 2011
Onlytruth:

Both bolded supported strongly.
I do not support depending on LOCAL weapons research and development for any future conflict. That is one bitter lesson from the civil war we must not repeat. We need INTERNATIONAL allies and suppliers of modern weapons.
My eyes are still on Israel.

While I do not support total use of LOCAL weapons, however, I don't think that option should be ruled out either. I mean, I support modernizing local weaponry to add to your MODERN stockpile inventory will go a long way. Have you ever considered a "What If" scenario; if there are no international allies willing to stand by us? I mean, there are suppliers of modern weaponry, but is that really enough? Me personally, there's more preparation to weapons and allies. Remember, wars are not fought by weapons ONLY, but by STRATEGY.
Re: Why Have South-East Leaders Remained Silent About Boko Haram? by dayokanu(m): 5:53am On Dec 30, 2011
Given the info on this thread, Do you still think silence is the best tactic?

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-835133.0.html
Re: Why Have South-East Leaders Remained Silent About Boko Haram? by Onlytruth(m): 6:05am On Dec 30, 2011
manny4life:

While I do not support total use of LOCAL weapons, however, I don't think that option should be ruled out either. I mean, I support modernizing local weaponry to add to your MODERN stockpile inventory will go a long way. Have you ever considered a "What If" scenario; if there are no international allies willing to stand by us? I mean, there are suppliers of modern weaponry, but is that really enough? Me personally, there's more preparation to weapons and allies. Remember, wars are not fought by weapons ONLY, but by STRATEGY.

If we don't get a SOLID INTERNATIONAL support, we mustn't ever go to war. Simple.
That lesson is very clear from the last civil war; infact in my own book, that was the ONLY reason Biafra failed.
Our local production can never be enough to win a fast war. While we were busy researching and developing, Aboki and their allies were busy gaining grounds at the battle field.
One account almost brought tears to my eyes; the Biafran army had a Nigerian army battalion under Col Etuk surrounded in Owerri. For a long time, the Biafrans couldn't finish them off because they lacked the HEAVY WEAPONS to do so: tanks and armed personnel carriers, aircrafts, long range artillery pieces, missiles. The Nigerians escaped, though badly bruised. They later came back to recapture Owerri again.
Riffles, and guns can't win wars. Heavy weapons do.
Ndigbo MUST NEVER attempt another war without ensuring a limitless supply of those weapons. QED.
Re: Why Have South-East Leaders Remained Silent About Boko Haram? by Obiagu1(m): 6:11am On Dec 30, 2011
Onlytruth:

If we don't get a SOLID INTERNATIONAL support, we mustn't ever go to war. Simple.
That lesson is very clear from the last civil war; infact in my own book, that was the ONLY reason Biafra failed.
Our local production can never be enough to win a fast war. While we were busy researching and developing, Aboki and their allies were busy gaining grounds at the battle field.
One account almost brought tears to my eyes; the Biafran army had a Nigerian army battalion under Col Etuk surrounded in Owerri. For a long time, the Biafrans couldn't finish them off because they lacked the HEAVY WEAPONS to do so: tanks and armed personnel carriers, aircrafts, long range artillery pieces, missiles. The Nigerians escaped, though badly bruised. They later came back to recapture Owerri again.
Riffles, and guns can't win wars. Heavy weapons do.
Ndigbo MUST NEVER attempt another war without ensuring a limitless supply of those weapons. QED.

Agreed.
Re: Why Have South-East Leaders Remained Silent About Boko Haram? by dayokanu(m): 6:18am On Dec 30, 2011
Given the info on this thread, Do you still think silence is the best tactic?

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-835133.0.html
Re: Why Have South-East Leaders Remained Silent About Boko Haram? by warrior01: 6:34am On Dec 30, 2011
@dayokanu, can't your blocked head get it you are being ignored? i know it pains to be an outcast but bro vamoose

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Breaking News: President Buhari Makes New Appointment / NBS Report: Lawan Says Nigeria Is Not Doing Badly / North-East Governors Pass Verdict On FG's Effort In Sub-Region’s Security

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.