Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,197,735 members, 7,965,763 topics. Date: Thursday, 03 October 2024 at 08:29 PM

I Urgently Need To Buy The Euro - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / I Urgently Need To Buy The Euro (3768 Views)

Naira Exchange Rate Against Dollar, Pound And Euro. / How Much Did You Exchange The Euro For Today? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Urgently Need To Buy The Euro by nanidee(f): 10:42am On Dec 30, 2011
I need to buy a substantial amount of the euro, please I would appreciate if nairalanders can help with the exact exchange rate. These abokis are trying to rip ♍e off.

Help please, anyone?
Re: I Urgently Need To Buy The Euro by nanidee(f): 1:39pm On Dec 30, 2011
No one here can help
Re: I Urgently Need To Buy The Euro by stagger: 5:35pm On Dec 30, 2011
Why not go and apply officially at the bank?
Re: I Urgently Need To Buy The Euro by nanidee(f): 5:52pm On Dec 30, 2011
Thanks for replying.

I have actually been to a couple of banks, and the story has either been that tĦey don't have euros, or that tĦey don't sell to people. So, I'm left with these abokis who I don't trust one bit.
Re: I Urgently Need To Buy The Euro by arbitrage: 6:46pm On Dec 30, 2011
Check up to be sure you really want the euro in cash. May be you just need it to pay for something outside the country, which you can actually use your card or bank transfer to pay for without needing aboki. First confirm the kind of usage you need it for here within country before you decide for euro cash or otherwise.
Re: I Urgently Need To Buy The Euro by nanidee(f): 7:00pm On Dec 30, 2011
With regards to card use, there is a limit to which I can pay out, and the amount of euros I need far exceeds this. The next alternative is for me to use my domicilliary account to transfer directly, in which case I have to make more deposit, and its this deposit I am trying to get.

I need to be certain of the current exchange rate, as all the people I have spoken to, have given ♍e different figures, though within a range.
Re: I Urgently Need To Buy The Euro by arbitrage: 9:31pm On Dec 30, 2011
I know that the bank rate you will get from bank transfer (from DOM) like GTB is around N215 and you can transfer up to $10,000 equivalent per day totaling $50,000 per week. If you log into your gtb internet banking, you will see the current rates. Only that I cannot guarantee good fees/charges from my experience but I got fair rate from euro transfers/payments I made through Union from my Naira & dom accounts. In fact, if not that you need more than card payment limit, I would have advised union because my visa card there has never being charged a dime whenever I spend from my DOM thru the attached card. Let me know how I can help if you cannot do your transfer/payment from your account.
Re: I Urgently Need To Buy The Euro by uzuz(f): 10:35pm On Dec 30, 2011
How much do you need and where are you based?
Re: I Urgently Need To Buy The Euro by nanidee(f): 11:28pm On Dec 30, 2011
@ arbitrage,

Thanks so, so much. But for your dom a/c,  does the bank change your currency for you or you convert iτ̅ on your own first, before lodging in? Because I can't understand why local banks sĦouldn't be able to  do something as basic as this.

Whenever I make use my card in Nigeria, I'm also not charged, even when I'm making payments abroad but its just the stress of buying currencies that gets to ♍e.

A friend of mine at the bank told ♍e iτ̅ 's about 216/217, yet another told me 214/215, but the silly abokis I spoke to said 217, and one mumu said 220.  >shocked and fact remains iτ̅ 'l be more straight forward to just get the euros in cash directly.

The transfer is not quite an issue, its just that I'm looking to get a really good bargain.
Re: I Urgently Need To Buy The Euro by nanidee(f): 11:40pm On Dec 30, 2011
@ Uziz, presently I am in Lagos, Nigeria.
Re: I Urgently Need To Buy The Euro by uzuz(f): 11:42pm On Dec 30, 2011
if you want to use your dom acc, then you have to buy the currency you need yourself and then pay it in there yourself, It depends on where you want to send the money, I maybe of help. I am based in London, United Kingdom
Re: I Urgently Need To Buy The Euro by nanidee(f): 11:48pm On Dec 30, 2011
Yeah thats true, but its actually the exchange rate I want to be certain of, as I have received different rates from different people.

I just don't want to regret buying for a particular amount, when I could have gotten a better bargain, because I have sat down to calculate the difference in the various rates I have been given, and iτ̅ won't be funny if I make the wrong move. Lol.

Thanks for your concern :*
Re: I Urgently Need To Buy The Euro by arbitrage: 12:36pm On Dec 31, 2011
As for good bargain on the rate, I do not think abokis or bureau de change will give you better than bank transfer services. If you use GTB internet banking, you can see their rate anytime you log on. It is usually the official rate rounded to nearest whole number not usually ecxceeding 1 in addition be it $, euro or pounds.

As for my DOM or card use, I never have to buy the euro as your money (dollar or naira) will be converted to the receiver at the prevailing market rate as at when you are making the transfer/payment. For instance, my DOM with Union and GTB are in dollars but with Zenith I have $, euro and pounds. So if I use my union card online or outside Nigeria, the DOM dollar will be charged at the prevailing rate but usually no charge. If it is the naira I spend (bank transfer), naira will be charged plus the usually transfer/charges (usually better than abokis rate overall).

If I use GTB DOM for the transfer, it is charged at higher than usual rates because GTB added another fee/charge that makes it be like twice the normal bank charges/fees. If you use GTB naira mastercard for the transfer/payment (now that means on the recipient website or by withdrawal from ATM outside Nigeria), it will be at the prevailing market rate plus just N1k. This is the best option if you are outside Nigeria (ATM withdrawal) or your recipient has website to receive the money from your card. Your GTB dom visa card can also be used to make the payment or withdrawal (if outside) but at less charge and official rate compared to bank transfer from the GTB DOM.

So for my DOM transfer, the bank does the remittance to my recipient in euro at the prevailing/official rate from my dollar denominated account. The only side to that is that you will have to get the dollar (or euro or pound) first before you put it into your DOM. I prefer doing the bank transfer from my Naira account. The bank will give me offical rate to euro and calculate how much Naira I will pay and the charges/fees for bank transfer, all chraged to my Naira account. In that case I do not worry about getting dollar, euro or pound to fund my DOM first. BUT that option usually requires you to produce a proof of the need to make foreign payment. e.g. school fees addmission letter, invoice from a seller of goods/services you are buying, or travel ticket & visa for a BTA or PTA (this one will only give you the euro by cash and not send it on your behalf to the recipient), etc.

1 Like

Re: I Urgently Need To Buy The Euro by nanidee(f): 12:58pm On Dec 31, 2011
Hmm, I see.
Pls could you drop your email address
Re: I Urgently Need To Buy The Euro by arbitrage: 1:06pm On Dec 31, 2011
ige700@yahoo.com

1 Like

Re: I Urgently Need To Buy The Euro by bigx(m): 3:28pm On Jan 17, 2012
Please I don't really understand this, My Internet Banking Only Puts My DOM account numbers when I try to transfer.
Meanwhile the Official rate is around 206 Euros in the GTBank Interfce & I never get to buy at this rate.
Is there anyway anyone actually gets as low as this rate?

arbitrage:

As for good bargain on the rate, I do not think abokis or bureau de change will give you better than bank transfer services. If you use GTB internet banking, you can see their rate anytime you log on. It is usually the official rate rounded to nearest whole number not usually ecxceeding 1 in addition be it $, euro or pounds.

As for my DOM or card use, I never have to buy the euro as your money (dollar or naira) will be converted to the receiver at the prevailing market rate as at when you are making the transfer/payment. For instance, my DOM with Union and GTB are in dollars but with Zenith I have $, euro and pounds. So if I use my union card online or outside Nigeria, the DOM dollar will be charged at the prevailing rate but usually no charge. If it is the naira I spend (bank transfer), naira will be charged plus the usually transfer/charges (usually better than abokis rate overall).

If I use GTB DOM for the transfer, it is charged at higher than usual rates because GTB added another fee/charge that makes it be like twice the normal bank charges/fees. If you use GTB naira mastercard for the transfer/payment (now that means on the recipient website or by withdrawal from ATM outside Nigeria), it will be at the prevailing market rate plus just N1k. This is the best option if you are outside Nigeria (ATM withdrawal) or your recipient has website to receive the money from your card. Your GTB dom visa card can also be used to make the payment or withdrawal (if outside) but at less charge and official rate compared to bank transfer from the GTB DOM.

So for my DOM transfer, the bank does the remittance to my recipient in euro at the prevailing/official rate from my dollar denominated account. The only side to that is that you will have to get the dollar (or euro or pound) first before you put it into your DOM. I prefer doing the bank transfer from my Naira account. The bank will give me offical rate to euro and calculate how much Naira I will pay and the charges/fees for bank transfer, all chraged to my Naira account. In that case I do not worry about getting dollar, euro or pound to fund my DOM first. BUT that option usually requires you to produce a proof of the need to make foreign payment. e.g. school fees addmission letter, invoice from a seller of goods/services you are buying, or travel ticket & visa for a BTA or PTA (this one will only give you the euro by cash and not send it on your behalf to the recipient), etc.
Re: I Urgently Need To Buy The Euro by dannywest: 12:40pm On Jan 28, 2012

(1) (Reply)

Why Is It So Hard To Make Money Online? / I Sell Dried Cow Skin(kpomo) In Abuja. / How to Decrease Demurrage charges through our efficient freight services

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.