Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,607 members, 7,979,045 topics. Date: Friday, 18 October 2024 at 07:03 PM

How Much Is The Transportation Cost Since The Removal Of Fuel Subsidy? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Much Is The Transportation Cost Since The Removal Of Fuel Subsidy? (2489 Views)

Fuel Subsidy To Go Next Year. FG To Sell Petrol At 97 / Rivers ACN Calls For The Removal Of Amaechi / GEJ To Use Executive Order For The Removal Of Fuel Subsidy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Much Is The Transportation Cost Since The Removal Of Fuel Subsidy? by Nobody: 7:09am On Jan 03, 2012
I saw this on a friend's FB wall

'FUEL PRICE HIKE; The exploitation has began, even diesel powered vehicles have jacked up bus fares, do they run on PMS too? Haba naija commercial drivers; doing it the Jonathan style, Hasbunallaahu wa-ni' molwakeel(amin )'

since goodluck decided to 'kill' the mases, i havent boarded commercial bus.

Those that have, pls share ur experience by letting us know how much u paid for a route and how much it was before the removal of subsidy
Re: How Much Is The Transportation Cost Since The Removal Of Fuel Subsidy? by OmoTier1(m): 7:56am On Jan 03, 2012
@OP, How about this to 'wet' your mouth abit:

Fares within, to and from different parts of Kano have soared to a disturbing level.
It was also learnt that many families who had traveled to the East for the Christmas might be stranded due to the new fare as they had provided for their return fare based on the old rates.
Daily Sun noted that movement from Kano to Lagos which as at Sunday was N5, 550 is now N8, 500, from Kano to Ibadan which was N4, 450 is now N7, 550, from Kano to Bayelsa which used to be N8, 000 is now N17, 000, while from Kano to any part of the Eastern states is now N13, 000 from the rate of[b] N3, 500[/b]. Madness, right 

Different filling stations in the city also showed different in the pump prices. For instance, at the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) mega station, the product sells for N138 per litre, while major marketers sell theirs for N141 per litre.
At the various posts of black market sellers in the state, a jerry can of fuel was selling for as far as N1000 from its previous rate, even as some of the roadside sellers maintained that the prices are yet to stabilize.

Source:http://sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2012/jan/03/national-03-01-2012-0012.html
Re: How Much Is The Transportation Cost Since The Removal Of Fuel Subsidy? by Jeel: 9:06am On Jan 03, 2012
Open ur eye,this is an opportunity
Re: How Much Is The Transportation Cost Since The Removal Of Fuel Subsidy? by Nobody: 10:25am On Jan 03, 2012
from punch

January 3, 2012 by Simon Utebor, Kunle Falayi, Eniola Akinkuotu and Temitayo Famutimi Leave a Comment
filling stations

Residents of Lagos State have continued to express their disappointment over the hike in transport fares following the removal of fuel subsidy and the increase of fuel price on Sunday.

Our correspondents learnt at different bus terminuses that some commercial drivers had hiked their fares to as much as 200 per cent.

For instance, a short journey from Ogba in Ikeja to Berger Bus Stop, which used to be N50 now goes for N100.

A passenger, Seyi Olatuga, who boarded a bus on Monday from Eleko (which is about 30 kilometres from Lagos Island) to CMS on the Lagos Island, said she was shocked when told that the fare had doubled.

The fare used to be N200 but I had no choice but to board the bus for N400. Only few buses were even plying the road. So, passengers didn’t have any choice than to take what is available. How can we survive if we continue this way?” she asked.

It was learnt that commercial drivers plying the Ajah to CMS route, which hitherto charged between N100 and N150 now charge between N250 and N300.

PUNCH METRO

observed that the bus fare from Berger Bus terminus to Ojota, which used to be N50, had jumped to between N100 and N150.

From Ikoyi to Obalende, the fare also shot up, as okada riders charged exorbitant fares.

One of our correspondents noticed that from Awolowo Road in Ikoyi, okada riders were charging N200 to Tafawa Balewa Square, a journey which used to cost N80.

Our correspondent reports that passengers were shocked on[b] Monday when they had to pay N400 against the N150 they used to pay between Ikeja and Yaba.[/b]

A passenger, Mr. Loveday Okeagwu, who spoke to PUNCH METRO, said he was disappointed at the government.

He said, “It is very simple, we will continue to be poor with this step the government has taken, but the masses who will be mostly affected by this step will not keep quite too. Don’t be surprised when robberies increase. Then government will have more than Boko Haram to deal with.”

A resident of Ketu, Jonathan Alewi, who boarded a bus from the Ketu Motor Park to Yaba on Monday, said he paid N300 against the usual N150.

He said, “Only a callous government will do what the Federal Government has done. I know they will say they have genuine reasons for removing the subsidy on fuel, but the truth is that they did not consider the masses who will be most affected by the fuel price hike.

“What we are experiencing now is just the increase in transport fare; in a few days’ time, increase in prices of all other household goods will follow. How will someone who earns about N40,000 monthly salary survive?

A businessman, Mr. Femi Ogun, said the timing was wrong.

He said, “I don’t know why our government is so insensitive to the plight of the people.

“Just about a week ago, numerous Nigerians were killed in bombings after which Christmas was tagged ‘black’. Now, Jonathan has decided to darken our New Year celebration. I don’t think it’s fair to us at all. It is very wrong.”

One of our correspondents who visited filling stations in Lagos reported that as early as 5am on Monday, hundreds of vehicles had formed long queues in front of filling stations, while few commercial buses operated in the morning.

A commuter, Peter Augustine, told one of our correspondents that when he could not get a bus from Yaba to Anthony Village he had to trek the distance to meet up with an appointment.

“I couldn’t get a bus this morning when I got to the bus stop. I later learnt that the majority of the bus operators had gone to queue up for fuel. I had no choice other than to trek as I had an appointment.

“I wonder why the Federal Government will be this insensitive. We were not even informed that the subsidy removal would take effect from January. The government is simply insensitive to the plight of Nigerians.”

Although some filling stations maintained the government’s[b] price limit by selling at N141 per litre, many motorists complained that some filling stations sold at higher prices, some as much as N200.
[/b]
Commercial bus drivers who spoke to our correspondents said the suffering they had to pass through before getting fuel and the price at which they got it justified the increment in fares.

The increment in fares is, however, not limited to commercial buses.

One of our correspondents who visited the Ikeja area of the metropolis reported that a distance, which cost N100, now costs N300 on okada.

However, the Bus Rapid Transit system seems to be the hope of commuters in areas where it is operational for now, because the fares of its buses remain unchanged.

Some commuters who spoke to one of our correspondents said they would prefer to endure the long queues and endless waiting at the BRT terminals than pay exorbitant fares demanded by commercial drivers.

In most parts of the state, the fuel subsidy was the subject as people gathered to discuss. In a bus boarded by one of our correspondents, some commuters vowed that they would not allow the situation to continue.

One of the stranded passengers, who identified himself simply as Wale, said, “I knew President Goodluck Jonathan was going to disappoint Nigerians. When he was campaigning, he promised to make life simple for Nigerians but see what is happening now.

“In fact, this man has become[b] Mr. ‘Badluck’. I pray he reverses this, else there will be a revolution like that experienced in the Arab world. We cannot continue to suffer in the midst of plenty. Increasing fuel price by 150 per cent is horrible.”[/b]

Another passenger, Mr. Kayode Kizito, said Nigerians had been pushed to the wall.

“There’s nothing to say again. We had better start a fight. This government will not listen to anybody,” he said.

At Iyana Ipaja, many passengers were stranded at the bus stop as they were not ready to pay the new fares.

A passenger, Mrs. Ngozi Obioma, told one of our correspondents, “I knew there would be increase in fares but I did not know it would be more than I envisaged. What will it be like when the holiday ends?”

Meanwhile, two people were injured on Monday when a fracas broke out at a Total filling station, at the Fadeyi end of Ikorodu Road.

It was learnt that hoodlums seized the opportunity of the fuel price hike to extort money from motorists who queued to buy fuel at the filling station.

The situation later degenerated into a free-for-all.

According to an eyewitness who craved anonymity, the hoodlums were from Ogunjobi Street, Mushin.

The eyewitness said, “Total was selling at N140 per litre and a long queue was formed by motorists who saw the price as cheaper than other stations.

“The hoodlums from Ogunjobi Street, however, seized the opportunity to extort money from commercial motorcyclists as well as motorists who were in the queue.

“A tailor named Wasiu who lives on Lawani Street came to buy fuel in a jerrycan. The hoodlums demanded some money from him but he refused, saying that he was a resident of the area and would not give them,”

The eyewitness said Wasiu sustained injuries when the fight broke out but some youths later dispersed the hoodlums.

this shouldnt be acceptable at at all
Re: How Much Is The Transportation Cost Since The Removal Of Fuel Subsidy? by Nobody: 10:36am On Jan 03, 2012
i live in port-harcourt. Mgbouba- rumuokwuta, a less than 4km drive, which used 2 be 30 naira is now 100 naira. A walkable distance. This is just madness. Port-harcourt - benin, which used 2 be 1,350 naira is now 3,550.
Re: How Much Is The Transportation Cost Since The Removal Of Fuel Subsidy? by OmoTier1(m): 12:07pm On Jan 03, 2012
Henry120:

i live in port-harcourt. Mgbouba- rumuokwuta, a less than 4km drive, which used 2 be 30 naira is now 100 naira. A walkable distance. This is just madness. Port-harcourt - benin, which used 2 be 1,350 naira is now 3,550.
This is madness, pure MADNESS , It is obvious the hypothetical terrain and relm of assumption of SLS and IW are as far from reality as the Stars are from the Earth!

(1) (Reply)

PHOTONEWS: Kalakuta Museum Opens In Lagos . / Is Adams Oshiomole Over-hyped?? / Catalonians Take To The Street To Ask For Total Independence From Spain. Pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.