Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,176,124 members, 7,896,808 topics. Date: Sunday, 21 July 2024 at 10:11 PM

Fuel Subsidy Scam: Is The NLC and TUC already Compromised? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fuel Subsidy Scam: Is The NLC and TUC already Compromised? (5728 Views)

Buhari's Speech At The Delegates Conference Of The NLC, Abuja / NLC And Trade Unions To Embark On strike On Tuesday. / NLC And TUC REPLIES President Goodluck Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fuel Subsidy Scam: Is The NLC and TUC already Compromised? by OmoTier1(m): 7:45am On Jan 04, 2012
In the last of the two Town Hall meetings/debate held in Lagos in December 2011 in which the NLC and the TUC participated, The Federal Government made it clear that though Her intention to remove Fuel Subsidy was firm, however she was still open to consultation and discussion with several groups. The Federal Government gave hints through the Minister of Finance that the removal of subsidy on Premium Motor Spirit, (PMS) was most likely going to take effect from the 1st of April 2012, which coincidentally is when the Fuel subsidy as appropriated for in the 2011 Budget would would have been exhausted.

Lo, and behold on  the 1st of January 2012, The Federal Government under the 'Rulership' of President Goodluck Jonathan in a style reminiscence of the actions of a dictator, cleverly ambushed the Nigerian masses and declared the withdrawal of subsidy on Premium Motor Spirit, (PMS) commonly called 'Petrol', which sent chaos round the entire nation!

Going by the manner in which the Federal Government went about the withdrawal of the Fuel Subsidy; with unending lies, manipulation of facts by her various agents/agency, and the enormous untold hardship the Nigerian masses now face with grim reality, a lot of Nigerians have taken their destiny into their hands by going on the street to protest against this cruel policy of the Federal Government led by President Goodluck Jonathan, with the death of an innocent Nigerian cruelly murdered by a yet to be identified officer of the Nigerian Police under the direct control of President Goodluck Jonathan.

Today it will be day-3 since the Nigerian masses took to the streets all over the country to protest the untold hardship the Goodluck Jonathan led Federal Government have visited on them in this new year, however to many keen observers, unusually, there appears to be foot dragging by the two biggest Unions in Nigeria: The Nigeria Labour Congress, (NLC), and the Trade Union Congress, (TUC) on a definite course of action to take despite their several initial threats to have the Economy of Nigeria brought to a stand still should the Federal Government proceed with Policy.

The seemingly inaction of the the NLC and TUC, so far has left many asking; has the current leadership of the NLC and the TUC sold out to the highest bidder, (The FG) as was witness more recently during the struggle for the implementation of the National Minimum Wage Act prior to the 2011 General Elections? Why is it taking the current leadership of both Union 3 days to coordinate and respond effectively, sending a strong message of protest to the Federal Government using several of the 'tools' at her disposals including 'civil protest' and 'strikes'?

Fellow forumites, what do you think? Has the Federal Government with Her financial might finally succeeded in making NLC and TUC her puppet? We are all aware of how the present crop of 'rulership' during the PDP primaries and subsequently during the 2011 electioneering campaign 'bribed' Journalist with cash sums in Dollars ($4000) and  pre-package MTN samsung Galaxy Tabs in the lavished reception at the Transcorp Hilton Hotel in Abuja, which in effect was to keep the lid sealed on several issues bothering on the past records of then aspirant and now President, Goodluck Jonathan, hence it would not be uncommon for them to engage the present leadership of NLC and TUC in like manner 
Re: Fuel Subsidy Scam: Is The NLC and TUC already Compromised? by efisher(m): 7:55am On Jan 04, 2012
NLC and TUC have long bought into the idea of subsidy removal. grin
Re: Fuel Subsidy Scam: Is The NLC and TUC already Compromised? by OmoTier1(m): 7:58am On Jan 04, 2012
efisher:

NLC and TUC have long bought into the idea of subsidy removal. grin
Where lies your proof, the NLC President yesterday debunked that same insinuation which coincidentally, the now infamous Reuben Abati alluded to in his inglorious Press release on behalf of the Ruler: Goodluck Jonathan
Re: Fuel Subsidy Scam: Is The NLC and TUC already Compromised? by efisher(m): 8:03am On Jan 04, 2012
Do you expect them to admit it? If they do, they'll lose public confidence.
Why have they not taken any decisive step as you have noted also?
Re: Fuel Subsidy Scam: Is The NLC and TUC already Compromised? by OmoTier1(m): 8:25am On Jan 04, 2012
efisher:

Do you expect them to admit it? If they do, they'll lose public confidence.
Why have they not taken any decisive step as you have noted also?
Much like it, beyond the issue of subsidy removal, should the NLC and TUC loose their credibility, then we have a great great challenge on our hands. The case of Airtel staff layed off last year comes to mind!
Re: Fuel Subsidy Scam: Is The NLC and TUC already Compromised? by gregg2: 9:15am On Jan 04, 2012
Removal of subsidy is one of the best things to happen to this country.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Scam: Is The NLC and TUC already Compromised? by OmoTier1(m): 9:27am On Jan 04, 2012
gregg2:

Removal of subsidy is one of the best things to happen to this country.
We have had this debate already, and the Nigerian Masses disagree, hence the reason there is spotenous protest in much larger part of Nigeria!
Re: Fuel Subsidy Scam: Is The NLC and TUC already Compromised? by karlmax2: 9:31am On Jan 04, 2012
Occupynigeria where are Ʊ people occupying today?

If Ʊ can't afford petrol for ur car go and buy bicycle
Re: Fuel Subsidy Scam: Is The NLC and TUC already Compromised? by OmoTier1(m): 9:40am On Jan 04, 2012
karl max:

Occupynigeria where are Ʊ people occupying today?

If Ʊ can't afford petrol for your car go and buy bicycle
Will you also use bicycle to power your shops? Will you also use bicycle to power your house?, or will riding a bicycle bring down the astronomical prices of good and services that have now enveloped the Nigerian nation? Has it dawn on you that even Kerosine and disel have also gone up?

Oh by the way, your post is off topic,
Re: Fuel Subsidy Scam: Is The NLC and TUC already Compromised? by Nobody: 9:50am On Jan 04, 2012
No ! They are not compromised. They know subsidy removal is long overdue. Stop this bullshit question.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Scam: Is The NLC and TUC already Compromised? by OmoTier1(m): 10:03am On Jan 04, 2012
LeoMax:

No ! They are not compromised. They know subsidy removal is long overdue. Stop this bullshit question.
Maybe my post was a little bit early on arrival, but hey, haven't you heard? Strike to commence on the 11th of January 2012, so much for your agreement, ight
Re: Fuel Subsidy Scam: Is The NLC and TUC already Compromised? by maclatunji: 10:04am On Jan 04, 2012
NLC wants to go to court over the legality of the Justice Kolade whatamacallit. TUC so far have said they will not negotiate with the government on this issue. You have to realise that organising people without State resources is very difficult.

Labour and Civil Society have to be strategic in their plans  to achieve any tangible results. I read they have declared Jan 11 as the date the nationwide strike will commence. I suspect that the script of this 'movie' would have changed before then.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Scam: Is The NLC and TUC already Compromised? by honeric01(m): 10:07am On Jan 04, 2012
11th is the D day, no going back, i can't afford to pay 1,800 to classes everyday!
Re: Fuel Subsidy Scam: Is The NLC and TUC already Compromised? by Demdem(m): 10:22am On Jan 04, 2012
Next week isnt too bad even though would love it to be earlier. Their excuses were it takes time to organise strikes of such magnitude. they also wanted Nigerians to be prepared very well by stocking themselves with enough consumables because the wont end the strike until the govt rescinds his decision.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Scam: Is The NLC and TUC already Compromised? by OmoTier1(m): 10:24am On Jan 04, 2012
maclatunji:

NLC wants to go to court over the legality of the Justice Kolade whatamacallit. TUC so far have said they will not negotiate with the government on this issue. You have to realise that organising people without State resources is very difficult.

Labour and Civil Society have to be strategic in their plans  to achieve any tangible results. I read they have declared Jan 11 as the date the nationwide strike will commence. I suspect that the script of this 'movie' would have changed before then.
It is now confirmed, strike date is 11th of January 2011. 7days to stack up your barns! Oh, FG is now begging Labour not to go on strike?, such a COWARD He is GEJ,
Re: Fuel Subsidy Scam: Is The NLC and TUC already Compromised? by montelik(m): 10:31am On Jan 04, 2012
11th is too soon. While I can understand d need to take action quickly before d new prices take further hold, we all know how notoriously long-suffering d 9ja populace are. Even at good times with plenty of preparation time, pple are already crying for strike to end by day 3-4. Considering this is not a strike aimed at bringing d govt to negotiating table, but for an absolute reversal of policy. It will most likely be longer and requiring more a crippling nature to be successful. Coming after an Xmas & new year season where most have expended resources and no one expected d sudden action of govt, I doubt majority d masses are prepared.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Scam: Is The NLC and TUC already Compromised? by Emilo(m): 10:47am On Jan 04, 2012
The question is would the strike solve anything? Over the years i have come to realise that strike does not solve anything but prolong issues. The answer is REVOLUTION!!!!
Re: Fuel Subsidy Scam: Is The NLC and TUC already Compromised? by Nobody: 10:53am On Jan 04, 2012
11th is too far off
they should start as soon as possible .
every one should stock up food .
Re: Fuel Subsidy Scam: Is The NLC and TUC already Compromised? by Nobody: 10:53am On Jan 04, 2012
Omo_Tier1:

We have had this debate already, and the Nigerian Masses disagree, hence the reason there is spotenous protest in much larger part of Nigeria!

Nigerian masses? pls speak for yourself. where I am, we are smart guys - we cant be part of a senseless protest sponsored by corrupt fuel importers who are mad that the game is up! Nigerians are so used to foul air that they cant even recognize a fresh one when they see it. Go ahead burn tyres, kill urselves, block the roads - it is your undeniable right to be stup!d. It is called democracy
Re: Fuel Subsidy Scam: Is The NLC and TUC already Compromised? by OmoTier1(m): 11:13am On Jan 04, 2012
oxford:

Nigerian masses? pls speak for yourself. where I am, we are smart guys - we cant be part of a senseless protest sponsored by corrupt fuel importers who are mad that the game is up! Nigerians are so used to foul air that they cant even recognize a fresh one when they see it. Go ahead burn tyres, kill urselves, block the roads - it is your undeniable right to be stup!d. It is called democracy
Duno where you are , maybe hiding in a cyber cafe with yahoo yahoo identity! I know your puppet NTA decided to deceive most of you that there was no protest held and that SS/SE youths support subsidy scam!

Hey, wake up, it's 2012, the world is much much bigger than NTA now, and as I speak, we are co ordinating real time feeds from various parts of Nigeria to the whole world.

You might be a lone shark in the yahoo yahoo world! And sorry, Nigerians are fed up 'fresh air' of deceit , lies, manipulation of facts, and dictatorial rulership! Mind you, in democracy, when the vast majority (88% in most polls) say No, even when you the leader think otherwise, you RESPECT the people's wish! Get it?, i feel sorry for your generation. lipsrsealed
Re: Fuel Subsidy Scam: Is The NLC and TUC already Compromised? by shagaman: 11:22am On Jan 04, 2012
There is no way NLC and TUC wont know about the increase, Nigerians , some people don collect bribe
This guy called Gridlock Jolanthern just wants to kill us.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Scam: Is The NLC and TUC already Compromised? by Abayomin70(m): 11:34am On Jan 04, 2012
shagaman:

There is no way NLC and TUC wont know about the increase, Nigerians , some people don collect bribe
This guy called Gridlock Jolanthern just wants to kill us.
u talk sense
Re: Fuel Subsidy Scam: Is The NLC and TUC already Compromised? by Calebsky(m): 12:13pm On Jan 04, 2012
Nigeria is still working with the 2011 budget which has subsidy as a component, 2012 budget which has no subsidy has not been approved, yet the federal govt has gone ahead to implement the removal of fuel subsidy, .Nigeria is a lawless society.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Scam: Is The NLC and TUC already Compromised? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 12:20pm On Jan 04, 2012
Talk as much as we must - it will still remain talk all for the purpose of self-education not Political Awareness nor Democratic Freedom. Until we get off our seats and take ACTION on the Corrupt Public Officials of this Corrupt Nation (North/South, Hausa, Yoruba, Igbo, CHristian/Muslim) nothing will happen - we will continue to descend into this great pit where our present and future generations will rot into history while the past generations enjoy the loot.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Scam: Is The NLC and TUC already Compromised? by Nobody: 12:38pm On Jan 04, 2012
D issue @ hand 4 me is dtthey've always bn corrupt. So these promises of channeling resources right will continue being what they r- promises. Jonny needs 2 show a good hand by reducing senators' allowances, get our refineries in order and/or prosecute corrupt officials effectively.
The protests hv erupted because d ppl don't trust their government. I tell u if Gridlock does these things, nobody go shout. Till then, however, his generation will feel d wrath of d populace
Re: Fuel Subsidy Scam: Is The NLC and TUC already Compromised? by coppershun(m): 12:47pm On Jan 04, 2012
I'm not in the habit of responding to such issues but i strongly feel the need to speak up this time.

@Omo_Tier1, I cant say for a fact that NLC or TUC has been compromised but the signs are definitely pointing in that direction. The lack of firmness and decisiveness on their part is not encouraging at all. It is therefore relieving to find that the nigerian masses are not leaving their fate in the hands of the big unions but are doing their little. I want to believe that whatever little protests have started now will only gain momentum and grow bigger and stronger until the government is forced to back down.

@Oxford, Sigh! bruv,i wont attack your person but your post. I totally agree with you that the subsidy should go because it is benefitting only a few,but the way and manner in which the government went about it is the problem. How can a government openly admit that there is a cabal fraudulently benefitting from the subsidy and thus the subsidy must go. That is tantamount to admitting that the cabal is stronger than them hence we have to be punished for its(the government's) inadequacies. Also, shouldn't the government consider all alternatives,(such as making sure the local refineries are working at 70% of capaity to enable them meet local consumption), before removing the subsidy?

I am totally against this lying,thieving,decietful,unintelligent and cowardly government.OccupyNigeria!!!Lets go!!!
Re: Fuel Subsidy Scam: Is The NLC and TUC already Compromised? by overkillR(f): 1:48pm On Jan 04, 2012
Omo-tier you asked a question if NLC and TUC has been compromised, right? People are giving their opinions and you are attacking it. So must everyone support your anti fuel subsidy removal idea? From the pictures I've been seeing I'm yet to see an organised protest, All I see are a bunch of hunger- stricken people. Who's going to take them seriously? The president or foreign media? I don't think so!
Back to your question, No, I don't think they have been compromised. I think they are giving d govt time to rethink their policy.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Scam: Is The NLC and TUC already Compromised? by Demdem(m): 1:54pm On Jan 04, 2012
overkill®:

Omo-tier you asked a question if NLC and TUC has been compromised, right? People are giving their opinions and you are attacking it. So must everyone support your anti fuel subsidy removal idea? From the pictures I've been seeing I'm yet to see an organised protest, All I see are a bunch of hunger- stricken people. Who's going to take them seriously? The president or foreign media? I don't think so!
Back to your question, No, I don't think they have been compromised. I think they are giving d govt time to rethink their policy.

So the lagos protest pictures u saw yesterday was an unorganised protest? Falana, fawehinmi, dipo Fashina etc that u also saw are bunch of hunger stricken peeps right? what about the students protesting? they are also useless fellows right?
Honestly, i think u are insane. No offense.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Scam: Is The NLC and TUC already Compromised? by overkillR(f): 2:11pm On Jan 04, 2012
So much for organised protest! @ Demdem pls did you physically participate in the protest? Or you are one of those online users who comment in anonymity? Until you all calling for a revolution take yourselves seriously no one would!

Re: Fuel Subsidy Scam: Is The NLC and TUC already Compromised? by Demdem(m): 2:14pm On Jan 04, 2012
My friend keep your mouth shut and learn more. situated in PH and hopefully ours av been scheduled for 9th. i asked u questions answer them and dont try and dodge it. do those people took like nonentities to you?
Demdem:

So the lagos protest pictures u saw yesterday was an unorganised protest? Falana, fawehinmi, dipo Fashina etc that u also saw are bunch of hunger stricken peeps right? what about the students protesting? they are also useless fellows right?
Honestly, i think u are insane. No offense.

Re: Fuel Subsidy Scam: Is The NLC and TUC already Compromised? by overkillR(f): 2:19pm On Jan 04, 2012
Any difference?
Re: Fuel Subsidy Scam: Is The NLC and TUC already Compromised? by Demdem(m): 2:21pm On Jan 04, 2012
^^^

You are irredeemably stupid. I rest my case.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Igbo's Plans To Align With The Northerners To Revenge On Yorubas / Breaking: Niger Delta Avengers, The Real Issue Is Buhari – Says Asari Dokubo / Breaking:buhari 's unconfirmed Speech

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.