Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,678 members, 7,878,981 topics. Date: Wednesday, 03 July 2024 at 10:43 AM

Does Driving In Neutral Gear Save Fuel ? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Does Driving In Neutral Gear Save Fuel ? (10729 Views)

10 Safety Tips When Driving In The Rain / Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? / Q & A On Coasting In Neutral For Automatic Gear (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Driving In Neutral Gear Save Fuel ? by onyxo76(m): 10:37am On Jan 04, 2012
i have observed that a lot of drivers particularly commercial bus drivers often "free wheel" their vehicles especially on slopes and hills. does this method actually conserve petrol?
Re: Does Driving In Neutral Gear Save Fuel ? by erico2k2(m): 10:03am On Sep 13, 2012
its dangerus when done for too long as you dont have Engine braking.
Re: Does Driving In Neutral Gear Save Fuel ? by Nobody: 12:06pm On Sep 15, 2012
I do it a lot with a MKII Jetta when I was at uni in times if fuel scarcity. I even go a step further by switching off the engine and leaving the ignition on so that the steering doesn't lock and for proper functioning of brakes. It requires good driving skills and it's not really worth the wahala if you wanna save fuel.
Re: Does Driving In Neutral Gear Save Fuel ? by ZIMDRILL(m): 12:25pm On Sep 15, 2012
erico2k2: its dangerus when done for too long as you dont have Engine braking.

nothing dangerous about it, is the car will be just in neutral, you only have to engage the right gear based with speed the vehicle is moving

1 Like

Re: Does Driving In Neutral Gear Save Fuel ? by sultaan(m): 3:34pm On Sep 15, 2012
how are you saving fuel when your engine is still running.
Neutral takes load off engine, coasting downhill at right gear will do same
Re: Does Driving In Neutral Gear Save Fuel ? by erico2k2(m): 9:29pm On Sep 15, 2012
ZIM DRILL:

nothing dangerous about it, is the car will be just in neutral, you only have to engage the right gear based with speed the vehicle is moving
Hope you realize the car is in motion not idled or motionless,when you do you driving test, in teh Uk you will be advised not to do this(drive in the nutral position) cos what happens is that you dont have full control of your car there is such thing as Engine breaking, so driving withouth the engine being ebgaged put full stress on the break system.
Re: Does Driving In Neutral Gear Save Fuel ? by erico2k2(m): 9:30pm On Sep 15, 2012
saxywale: I do it a lot with a MKII Jetta when I was at uni in times if fuel scarcity. I even go a step further by switching off the engine and leaving the ignition on so that the steering doesn't lock and for proper functioning of brakes. It requires good driving skills and it's not really worth the wahala if you wanna save fuel.

Exactly and aint that dangerous?Imagine if you accidental turn off ignition when you switch car off and wanna break in an Emergency
Re: Does Driving In Neutral Gear Save Fuel ? by ZIMDRILL(m): 10:58pm On Sep 15, 2012
erico2k2:
Hope you realize the car is in motion not idled or motionless,when you do you driving test, in teh Uk you will be advised not to do this(drive in the nutral position) cos what happens is that you dont have full control of your car there is such thing as Engine breaking, so driving withouth the engine being ebgaged put full stress on the break system.

you dont know the difference between the car in neutral and a car that has been switched off

a car that has been switched off is hard to control becoz the steering would be back into manual and so are the brakes

but a car in neutral all the things will be working expect that the gears are not engaged
Re: Does Driving In Neutral Gear Save Fuel ? by ba7man(m): 11:00am On Sep 19, 2012
onyxo76: i have observed that a lot of drivers particularly commercial bus drivers often "free wheel" their vehicles especially on slopes and hills. does this method actually conserve petrol?
During the recent fuel price hike, I became an xpert in that mode of driving. Its best done by accelerating to an adequate speed(Mostly uphill)then putting the gear in neutral(likely downhill) with the clutch pedal depressed to disconnect the clutch from the engine. Study the road ahead nd ur speed to determine the best gear to slot it in on re-engagement. If done right, your progression remains smooth.
Re: Does Driving In Neutral Gear Save Fuel ? by ba7man(m): 11:06am On Sep 19, 2012
erico2k2:

New cars now include a system that allows the clutch plate disconnect from the engine when u lift off the accelerator to avoid engine breaking which slows the car down. This allows you coast in the car which is the "Freeing" that's bin done for so long over here.
Re: Does Driving In Neutral Gear Save Fuel ? by cretin: 3:13pm On Sep 20, 2012
saves fuel if u shut the engine off..but then u will looose power steering...and also if ur car is 4 wheel drive...it damages the transmission.......coasting in neutral with the engine on...doesnt save fuel..its same as if its in drive n ur foot is off the accelerator
Re: Does Driving In Neutral Gear Save Fuel ? by ba7man(m): 11:43am On Sep 21, 2012
cretin: saves fuel if u shut the engine off..but then u will looose power steering...and also if ur car is 4 wheel drive...it damages the transmission.......coasting in neutral with the engine on...doesnt save fuel..its same as if its in drive n ur foot is off the accelerator
how much fuel does a car burn when its in idle? By studying your rev counter you know how much fuel u'r using i.e the higher d needle the the more fuel you consume. till you accelerate in a coasting car, you are moving on gathered momentum with your engine in idle. you should neva switch off your engine while in motion....pls, so no one comes back and posts a thread saying "ba7man told us to coast with engines off nd i crashed".
Re: Does Driving In Neutral Gear Save Fuel ? by Wallie(m): 8:29pm On Sep 21, 2012
onyxo76: i have observed that a lot of drivers particularly commercial bus drivers often "free wheel" their vehicles especially on slopes and hills. does this method actually conserve petrol?

Yes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_economy-maximizing_behaviors#Coasting_in_neutral

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_economy-maximizing_behaviors
Re: Does Driving In Neutral Gear Save Fuel ? by xtivin(m): 3:16pm On Sep 25, 2012
it save lots of fuel if u r an expert in d field,last week,i used 10litre from outskirts of lokoja to abuja with my toyota camry97...its fun wen done wisely
Re: Does Driving In Neutral Gear Save Fuel ? by DrummaBoy(m): 3:23pm On Sep 25, 2012
Well your contributions have not helped me bc I drive an automatic and was told to save fuel and relieve the engine I should put my car gear in Neutral(N) when in hold up, especially if the hold up is elongated.
Is this good practice?
Re: Does Driving In Neutral Gear Save Fuel ? by xtivin(m): 3:33pm On Sep 25, 2012
my T.C97,is automatic,whyl on motion take it to neutral,switch ur engine off,to re-engage-startd d vehicle in d same neautral and shift to drive...it makes it more easier dan the manual gear system....it saves fuel alot but done wit care,coz wit tym ur brake will be hard nd sterrin too,just be prepared to adjust weneva u do it.......in hold up,switch ur car off dats if u av confidence in ur vehicle
Re: Does Driving In Neutral Gear Save Fuel ? by ba7man(m): 6:29pm On Sep 27, 2012
DrummaBoy: Well your contributions have not helped me bc I drive an automatic and was told to save fuel and relieve the engine I should put my car gear in Neutral(N) when in hold up, especially if the hold up is elongated.
Is this good practice?
I'v only tried it in manual cars but never in autos.
Re: Does Driving In Neutral Gear Save Fuel ? by cretin: 10:14am On Sep 29, 2012
dont try switching off ur engine in a 4wd car, while coasting
Re: Does Driving In Neutral Gear Save Fuel ? by erico2k2(m): 2:28pm On Nov 27, 2012
ZIM DRILL:

you dont know the difference between the car in neutral and a car that has been switched off

a car that has been switched off is hard to control becoz the steering would be back into manual and so are the brakes

but a car in neutral all the things will be working expect that the gears are not engaged
guy stop spewing ur ignorance online,U aint got a clue how machines work then, check what Engine breaking means then come back on here.You dont realise proff drivers value this .
Re: Does Driving In Neutral Gear Save Fuel ? by erico2k2(m): 2:33pm On Nov 27, 2012
ba7man: New cars now include a system that allows the clutch plate disconnect from the engine when u lift off the accelerator to avoid engine breaking which slows the car down. This allows you coast in the car which is the "Freeing" that's bin done for so long over here.
I get that but when you say over here where are you talking about and moreso are we talking manual or Auto cars here?
Re: Does Driving In Neutral Gear Save Fuel ? by erico2k2(m): 2:35pm On Nov 27, 2012
xtivin: my T.C97,is automatic,whyl on motion take it to neutral,switch ur engine off,to re-engage-startd d vehicle in d same neautral and shift to drive...it makes it more easier dan the manual gear system....it saves fuel alot but done wit care,coz wit tym ur brake will be hard nd sterrin too,just be prepared to adjust weneva u do it.......in hold up,switch ur car off dats if u av confidence in ur vehicle
So guy you mean say you Atomatic car would start in teh N-position and not the P ??
Re: Does Driving In Neutral Gear Save Fuel ? by vitality22(m): 7:15pm On Nov 27, 2012
erico2k2:
So guy you mean say you Atomatic car would start in teh N-position and not the P ??
Yea, automatic gears starts in N~position
Re: Does Driving In Neutral Gear Save Fuel ? by erico2k2(m): 9:34pm On Nov 27, 2012
vitality22:
Yea, automatic gears starts in N~position
Guy U sure ? anyway, I will check it at work 2morrow, I drove Auto ages ago and I cant remember clearly, I will B back grin grin

(1) (Reply)

Singapore To Stop Adding Cars To City From February 2018 / 11 Steps To File A Complaint Against A LASTMA Official / Are These VIO Guys Doing Us More Harm Than Good?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.