Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,733 members, 7,882,510 topics. Date: Sunday, 07 July 2024 at 07:28 AM

What Is The Point Of NLC/TUC Protest? Just Fun Day Off Work? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Is The Point Of NLC/TUC Protest? Just Fun Day Off Work? (13575 Views)

Photo Of NLC Chairman's Landcruiser, Same Man Condemning Senators Lol / Remove Fuel Subsidy, Face Our Wrath - NLC, TUC Warn Buhari / PDP Calls For Overthrow Of NLC, TUC Leadership! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Point Of NLC/TUC Protest? Just Fun Day Off Work? by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 11:37am On Jan 08, 2012
I don't see what the protest is about. The scraping of the fuel subsidies is affecting all Nigerians not just one particular ethnicity. Why are people now tribalising the subsidies and making it a tribal protest?

This madness has gone long enough and its time to move on to other more pressing issues. I don't feel Niger Deltans should have their oil subsidized indefinitely at expense of any substantial development, likewise Nigeria.

The subsidies system is flawed and corrupt and deserves to be scraped.
Re: What Is The Point Of NLC/TUC Protest? Just Fun Day Off Work? by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 11:57am On Jan 08, 2012
TUC/NLC as an organisation is a joke. Protest over more pay for workers is reasonable. Protest over gratuity is reasonable. Protest over pension is reasonable.

Protest over arrears is reasonable, but protest for credit or subsidies is pure madness and beyond their jurisdiction.
Re: What Is The Point Of NLC/TUC Protest? Just Fun Day Off Work? by jmaine: 12:12pm On Jan 08, 2012
Fine, i don't subscribe to the current NLC industrial strike[b] ritual [/b]. .  that would even heap more pain on the masses . . . and i don't see it getting sustained as people ignore them . .but i failed to see how the subsidy protest is a tribal one . . cos even the inaction of the non protesting zones can also be read along tribal lines . . .

Look at the politics here . .The Niger delta and the South East gave GEJ near 100% . . .and protesting would just energize the flames of region perceived as being hostile to GEJ just to oust him from power  . . .They are feeling the bite but they are just being tacitly calm to maintain their strong support for someone they plunged their whole faith into . .

If you call it a tribal protest . .then those not protesting are equally tribalistic in their silence . .

I did rather classify the protest as being myopic and misplaced . ,  . we have a whole lot of issues to protest, so why protest only subsidy removal . . The current subsidy removal only protest signifies that if eventually the subsidy is replaced . .everyone goes home feeling happy and fulfilled as if all problems are solved

I personally don't give a shyte about the NLC proposed strike . .
Re: What Is The Point Of NLC/TUC Protest? Just Fun Day Off Work? by Abagworo(m): 12:27pm On Jan 08, 2012
Stop this madness! You PDP puppets. There is no subsidy and the Government wants to rip us off you guys are here saying we should keep quiet and return to work.

If there was subsidy, every sane person will support its removal but there is none. They just created the subsidy fiction and it has to end.
Re: What Is The Point Of NLC/TUC Protest? Just Fun Day Off Work? by jmaine: 12:32pm On Jan 08, 2012
Abagworo:

Stop this madness! You PDP puppets. There is no subsidy and the Government wants to rip us off you guys are here saying we should keep quiet and return to work.

If there was subsidy, every sane person will support its removal but there is none. They just created the subsidy fiction and it has to end.

If you say there was no subsidy . .then stroll out with your stench emission
Re: What Is The Point Of NLC/TUC Protest? Just Fun Day Off Work? by karlmax2: 12:34pm On Jan 08, 2012
Abagworo:

THEN WHY ARE U PROTESTING IF THERE WAS NO SUBSIDY .
IS THE FG THE MARKETERS OF PETROLEUM PRODUCT? DIRECT UR PROTEST TO THE FUEL MARKETERS THEN IF THERE IS NO SUBSIDY,
Re: What Is The Point Of NLC/TUC Protest? Just Fun Day Off Work? by muami(m): 12:46pm On Jan 08, 2012
jmaine:

Fine, i don't subscribe to the current NLC industrial strike[b] ritual [/b]. .  that would even heap more pain on the masses . . . and i don't see it getting sustained as people ignore them . .but i failed to see how the subsidy protest is a tribal one . . cos even the inaction of the non protesting zones can also be read along tribal lines . . .

Look at the politics here . .The Niger delta and the South East gave GEJ near 100% . . .and protesting would just energize the flames of region perceived as being hostile to GEJ just to oust him from power  . . .They are feeling the bite but they are just being tacitly calm to maintain their strong support for someone they plunged their whole faith into . .

If you call it a tribal protest . .then those not protesting are equally tribalistic in their silence . .

I did rather classify the protest as being myopic and misplaced . ,  . we have a whole lot of issues to protest, so why protest only subsidy removal . . The current subsidy removal only protest signifies that if eventually the subsidy is replaced . .everyone goes home feeling happy and fulfilled as if all problems are solved

I personally don't give a shyte about the NLC proposed strike . .

One of the most objective view I have seen so far on NL.
Re: What Is The Point Of NLC/TUC Protest? Just Fun Day Off Work? by baslone: 12:49pm On Jan 08, 2012
I agree with you. The NLC/TUC protest is simply pointless. I'll rather recommend us to pick up arms-kidnap and kill them and all their babies!

It's been tested, peaceful protest achieves no good result.

Your paymasters have realized how silly and gullible Nigerians are, now they are bringing it to our face-they want us to continue to fund their corruption!

It's a slap, an act of disrespect. We need to erase their generation.

It might not mean anything to you, at least you are getting paid from the ill gotten loots!
Re: What Is The Point Of NLC/TUC Protest? Just Fun Day Off Work? by Abagworo(m): 12:50pm On Jan 08, 2012
I can construct a 50 barrels per day refinery in my village with less than 3million Naira. Government should supply me 50 barrels everyday. With that, I will produce enough for our(my small village) consumption.
Re: What Is The Point Of NLC/TUC Protest? Just Fun Day Off Work? by jmaine: 12:51pm On Jan 08, 2012
muami:

One of the most objective view I have seen so far on NL.

Bros mi, you just hibernate like that, wetin dey pa for ya side  grin . . .
Re: What Is The Point Of NLC/TUC Protest? Just Fun Day Off Work? by Rad1cal: 12:58pm On Jan 08, 2012
Abagworo:

I can construct a 50 barrels per day refinery in my village with less than 3million Naira. Government should supply me 50 barrels everyday. With that, I will produce enough for our(my small village) consumption.

So what are you waiting for. don't you know the regulatory authority offices to put forward your proposal and apply for a license
Re: What Is The Point Of NLC/TUC Protest? Just Fun Day Off Work? by muami(m): 1:31pm On Jan 08, 2012
jmaine:

Bros mi, you just hibernate like that, wetin dey pa for ya side  grin . . .

I dey my bros. Just took a break.
Meanwhile, I just heard that crude oil export would not be affected by the strike. so whats the point of suffering the poor masses while the FG makes more money?
Re: What Is The Point Of NLC/TUC Protest? Just Fun Day Off Work? by Rad1cal: 5:59pm On Jan 08, 2012
edited
Re: What Is The Point Of NLC/TUC Protest? Just Fun Day Off Work? by Beaf: 6:19pm On Jan 08, 2012
The protest is just a jamboree that will acheive nothing but more suffering at the end of the day. It is shocking that although there are thousands of deeper issues, shortsighted people choose to protest one that invests in the future. It shows why corruption is so rampant in Nigeria, because as they say, every man has a price, Unfortunately, the price Nigerians will sell their kids for, is a mere N65 per litre.
Re: What Is The Point Of NLC/TUC Protest? Just Fun Day Off Work? by PointB: 6:32pm On Jan 08, 2012
Perhaps some indolent Nigerians wanted another three day holidays. Otherwise it really a pointless protest. Were I to be the president, i will not bulge!
Re: What Is The Point Of NLC/TUC Protest? Just Fun Day Off Work? by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 8:53pm On Jan 08, 2012
The politicians have made a tough decision in the interest of future generations but the NLC/TUC wants to exercise their shadow dictatorship gov powers, as they have no mandate. Guess who suffers? Yes that's right, Nigerians.
Re: What Is The Point Of NLC/TUC Protest? Just Fun Day Off Work? by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 5:26am On Jan 09, 2012
embarassed

Re: What Is The Point Of NLC/TUC Protest? Just Fun Day Off Work? by birdman(m): 5:57am On Jan 09, 2012
luckily, the protest is not occurring in nairaland. feel free to start as many threads as you want. you are wasting your time
Re: What Is The Point Of NLC/TUC Protest? Just Fun Day Off Work? by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 9:14am On Jan 09, 2012
birdman:

luckily, the protest is not occurring in nairaland. feel free to start as many threads as you want. you are wasting your time

Have a fun day off work, it might even be indefinate since this strike is illegal. wink
Re: What Is The Point Of NLC/TUC Protest? Just Fun Day Off Work? by seunlayi(m): 9:25am On Jan 09, 2012
how many of these people are really commited to their work? Some of them are the ones aiding these polythiefian to loot our money. I think the ideal of no work no pay should be applied to this.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Point Of NLC/TUC Protest? Just Fun Day Off Work? by Nobody: 10:00am On Jan 09, 2012
Only a stu-pid and insensitive person like poster will ask this question.Why not go out to the street and ask the poor suffering Nigerians why they are angry with jonathan instead of giving him a standing ovation for his unpopular policy if they wont lynch you ? Mschew
Re: What Is The Point Of NLC/TUC Protest? Just Fun Day Off Work? by Nobody: 10:04am On Jan 09, 2012
[img]http://c0014124.r32.cf1.rackcdn.com/x2_a4f3766[/img]

for then agips and dunces who have no idea what this is about. . .
Re: What Is The Point Of NLC/TUC Protest? Just Fun Day Off Work? by MuNeme(m): 10:05am On Jan 09, 2012
The only reason why this strike will go on is because govt hasn't rolled out big evelops to NLC/TUC leadership!
Re: What Is The Point Of NLC/TUC Protest? Just Fun Day Off Work? by Koikoi(m): 10:06am On Jan 09, 2012
To me, the NLC/TUC have no business at spearheading the protests because there's no trade dispute. This should've been handled by civil organizations as well as the people themselves. LET THE PEOPLE SPEAK FOR THEMSELVES. Do not force me to close down my business. At the end of the day, NLC/TUC members will still get their salaries even for the number of days the system was shut down. Nigerians shine ur eyes
Re: What Is The Point Of NLC/TUC Protest? Just Fun Day Off Work? by Nobody: 10:10am On Jan 09, 2012
SEE WHY I MUST DENY MY NIGER-DELTA BROTHER (GEJ) THIS
SEASON.
>Subject:FUEL
SUBSIDY EQUATION

This economic puzzle is simple enough for anyone to solve.

* Fuel subsidy itself is a scam
* Removal of self subsidy is a scam
* Turn around maintenance of refineries is a scam
* Non development of new refineries is a scam
* Insincerity of government is a scam

Fuel Subsidy Equation
------------------------
1) One barrel of Crude oil = 42gallons or 159 litres

2) Our Refineries (i.e 4) Installed (combined) capacity = 445,000 barrels per day

3) Actual refineries capacity due to ageing equipment = 30% i.e. 133,500 barrels per day

4) . . 133,500 barrels = 21.2 million litres

5) Local required consumption (F.O.S) = 12millions litres

6) It means that even our MORIBOND refineries can actually meet our local consumption need of petroleum.

7) The cost structure of crude oil (i.e. Qua Iboe Crude Oil) production;
- Findings / development - $3.5
- Production cost - $1.5 - Refining Cost - $12.6
- Pipeline/transportation - $1.5
- Distr/bridging fund Margin -$15.69

cool True cost of one litre of petroleum anywhere in Nigeria ;
- Total sum cost = $34.8
- 1ltr cost = $34.8/159 litres = $0.219
- Naira equiv. 0.219xN160= N35.02k
- Add Tax N5 + N35.02 = N40.02

9) Let FGN refute the above composition above.
Re: What Is The Point Of NLC/TUC Protest? Just Fun Day Off Work? by Nobody: 10:10am On Jan 09, 2012
Am here in my room with my TV and beautiful girl and we are protesting on bed  grin
Re: What Is The Point Of NLC/TUC Protest? Just Fun Day Off Work? by Nobody: 10:11am On Jan 09, 2012
MuNeme:

The only reason why this strike will go on is because govt hasn't rolled out big evelops to NLC/TUC leadership!

That is the big issue.Eliminate corruption in the system.why should government bribe the labour unions ?
Re: What Is The Point Of NLC/TUC Protest? Just Fun Day Off Work? by Wilywily11: 10:15am On Jan 09, 2012
Please every one ignore any Strike called by Fraudulent Yorubas and Dirty Stinking Hausa/Fulanis.
Oil is not theirs, Soooooo if they want free petrol let them kill some of their kinsmen and refine their blood to petrol. Silly Stuuupiid people.
Re: What Is The Point Of NLC/TUC Protest? Just Fun Day Off Work? by maasoap(m): 10:19am On Jan 09, 2012
@OP, I thought you asked question and I wanted to provide answer but I just realised that it wasn't a question but a statement based on tribalistic sentiment. But if you're indeed confused, I think mum and dad should be able to help. Rubbish.
Re: What Is The Point Of NLC/TUC Protest? Just Fun Day Off Work? by aljharem(m): 10:21am On Jan 09, 2012
The OP is a well know tribal bigot

Not only that, she sees Jonathan as an Igbo president rather than Nigerian

smh
Re: What Is The Point Of NLC/TUC Protest? Just Fun Day Off Work? by Nobody: 10:26am On Jan 09, 2012
@bliss4life and co. You simply don't understand the significance of this strike action, or maybe you choose to close your eyes to the inefficiencies and corruption in our government system. THIS STRIKE SIGNIFIES THAT NIGERIANS ARE TIRED OF BEING RIPPED OFF BY THE GOV'T and have been pushed to the limits by the i competence of our governmeny. It is people like you and your ilk that will always try to discourage people against revolution and the fight for a new Nigeria. We have chosen to protest and fight for the welfare of Nigerians, we have chosen and fight against the incompetence and irresponsibility of our govt headed by the clueless Jonathan. I have really tried to refrain myself from calling you names, but one thing I know is that there will always be traitors amongst us who never see anything good in LEGITIMATELY fighting for our rights and instead the traitors stoop so low to a level of idi.ocy to discourage people from doing so. Please don't be one of them. A word is enough for the wise
Re: What Is The Point Of NLC/TUC Protest? Just Fun Day Off Work? by aljharem(m): 10:27am On Jan 09, 2012
Stop acting stu.pid and stop thinking like a fish because of tribalism.

It seems after all the talk, shouting, teaching, lecture, protest, educating, directing, etc people are doing, some people still don't know why people are angry

1. Yes the system/ government is corrupt. In fact the country is teeming in corruption

2. Yes subsidy has to go and everyone supports the FG for that

3. Before the removal of subsidy, build our refinery so we would not have this same issue in the future. If we have our refineries working, we would not be paying subsidy to anyone and we can control the prices of our crude oil as a Nation.

4. Before removal of subsidy , CUT THE COST OF GOVERANCE not just by 25% because the bulk of the money made in government is not through salaries but be over PRICED projects. An average senator in Nigeria collects more than Obama the american president.

5. Now remove subsidy.

Other things people are protesting for because it was a build up of anger since 1970 and this was the opportunity for a revolution are

1. protest against corruption and the arrest of these people

2. protest against boko haram and killing of Christians/igbos

3. protest against the NEGLIGENT of the Niger-delta

4. Building of the Niger Bridge. Must the bridge collapse before we maintain and build the next ? Since we can save lives, why not do it now.

Now what is the point of thinking ahead when there is still corruption and non-accountability in the government ?

What is the point of thinking ahead when the next administration would tell us about removal of subsidy again ?

IS THINKING AHEAD NOT BUILDING OF REFINERIES ?

Is thinking ahead not protesting against corruption ?

In Nigeria today, we have No light, No security, No shelter, No good roads, No good water, No refinery even though we are oil producing, Total neglect of infrastructure, Total neglect of the Niger-delta, Total neglect of the Niger bridge, Total neglect of people dying in the North, Lack of accountability, Lack of credibility, Lack of industrial growth apart from Oil which the entire country is dependant on, Lack of economic growth apart from the telecommunication sector by OBJ.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would also what to use this medium to address people thinking it is an ethnic thing.

I have heard various people saying the protest is against "GEJ" "minority" and other sentimental words to describe the protest.

I would like to educate the people about the politics behind what is happening according to my understanding and I would really appreciate if I can also learn more from other posters home and abroad.

In 2010, Sanusi made speech to the House of reps (HOR) that they were thieves and they are the ones sucking Nigeria dry due to the huge sum of money paid to them monthly. The HOR shut him down and called him all sort of names.

In 2011, Sanusi during the channels debate said 1.6 trillion naira is paid to this people out of 1.8 trillion naira thus 200 billion Naira is left for development of the country.

This people are the senator, governors, HOR, HOA, chairmen and the business men that were labelled as oil benefit thieves.

Now people Imagine 200 billion left for 150 million people in 36 states out of total of 1.8 trillion Naira. Yes I am sure people would agree with me that subsidy has to go !!!!

All am doing here is to make people political aware of the situation right now and lets not forget the Iweala and the IMF factor.

Now people are NOT and I repeat NOT angry at the removal of the subsidy I mean at such rate the paying of subsidy is not sustainable. It has to go at one point or the other, either through GEJ or the next administration. Yes I respect GEJ and Sanusi for thinking ahead of time. That is very commendable but the Issues that cause the subsidy corruption are not yet addressed.

In the future the issue would come up again so what is the point ?.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Forbes Names Nairaland As Techs Startups To Watch In 2013 / FG Plans Housing Scheme For Nigerians Abroad / NPDP Sets-up Committee To Receive Five New Governors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.