Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,177,378 members, 7,901,014 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 July 2024 at 09:27 PM

Everyone Is A Believer! - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Everyone Is A Believer! (616 Views)

How A Believer Can Kill The Flesh Because The Flesh Can Make A Christian Sin. / 10 Proven Ways To Overcome Temptation As A Believer / Can A Believer Lose Salvation? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Everyone Is A Believer! by Hardeihorllah(m): 2:23pm On Jan 08, 2012
It is very wrong for anybody to say he/she/someone is not a believer because everybody BELIEVEs in someone or something or nothing. But some may ask: what about the atheists? And I will request such a person to tell me who an atheist is. Consider the following:

A christian is someone that BELIVEs Jesus Christ died for his/her sins on the cross of calvary.

A muslim is someone who BELIEVEs in Allah and his holy prophet Muhammad(saw).

A pagan is someone who BELIEVEs in legion of gods and godess( polytheistic believe).

A free thinker is someone who BELIEVEs in no particular gods or godess.

An atheist is someone who BELIEVEs in no god at all.

The point of emphasis here is BELIEVE, Every one BELIEVES!
Re: Everyone Is A Believer! by claremont(m): 2:55pm On Jan 08, 2012
Hardeihorllah:

[size=14pt]An atheist is someone who BELIEVEs in no god at all.[/size]

The point of emphasis here is BELIEVE, Every one BELIEVES!
An Atheist does not "believe" in anything, saying that an Atheist believes in something is erroneous. Atheists are simply persons who make a proposition that there is no evidence to support a belief in a God/gods, this is totally different from a belief in no god.
Re: Everyone Is A Believer! by Hardeihorllah(m): 3:26pm On Jan 08, 2012
" An atheist does not believe in anythin", this is your own word and it its can be interpreted as follow:" an atheist belives in nothing". Prove me wrong if the implication( the second statement) is not correct. There is no how we can take BELIEVE out of this statement.

This simply means atheists do BELIEVE, only that they BELIEVE in "NOTHING", according to your own word!
Re: Everyone Is A Believer! by Nobody: 3:49pm On Jan 08, 2012
Hardeihorllah:

" An atheist does not believe in anythin", this is your own word and it its can be interpreted as follow:" an atheist belives in nothing". Prove me wrong if the implication( the second statement) is not correct. There is no how we can take BELIEVE out of this statement.

This simply means atheists do BELIEVE, only that they BELIEVE in "NOTHING", according to your own word!

There is a difference between "belief" and "believe".

Belief is a noun while believe is a verb.
Noun
any member of a class of words that are formally distinguished in many languages, as in English, typically by the plural and possessive endings and that can function as the main or only elements of subjects or objects, as cat, belief, writing, Ohio, darkness.  nouns are often thought of as referring to persons, places, things, states, or qualities.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/noun

Verb
A verb, from the Latin verbum meaning word, is a word (part of speech) that in syntax conveys an action (bring, read, walk, run, learn), or a state of being (be, exist, stand).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verb

A belief is an abstract idea (a noun) that an atheist like myself doesn't possess therefore I don't believe that gods exist. So you can say everyone is a believer but that doesn't mean everyone has beliefs.
Belief implies superstition and those who have it can't prove it while believe is just a verb e.g  I believe if you take the battery out of your laptop without connecting it to a power source, the computer will be turned off. That can be proven. On the hand hand, you have a belief that jesus is the son of a jewish diety and you can never prove it.

I guess you can actively believe that your beliefs are true by following the tenets of your religion but how do you actively believe in "nothing"?
Re: Everyone Is A Believer! by Nobody: 4:07pm On Jan 08, 2012
Hardeihorllah:

On another note, you actually believe in "NOTHING". You just have a belief that your particular brand of superstition is real when it's just one of many. At the end of the day, gods aren't real so in essence you believe in "nothing".
Re: Everyone Is A Believer! by Hardeihorllah(m): 6:23pm On Jan 08, 2012
@martian,
Thank you for that wonderful analysis, it's quite educative but I still mentain my ground.

Like you pointed out in your comment that one who worships God can not prove that God actually exists, so let me also ask you: can you prove that God does not exist? One thing that atheists like you and others have come to forget is that the fact that something can not be seen does not realy prove that thing does not exist! Black hole is one of the discoveries in astronomy. Black holes cannot be seen but thier effects can be felt on other astronomical bodies that are nearby, so also God cannot be seen by humans but His effects can be felt in the cosmos.

Look all around you and you too will not be able to help but echoe the voice of the psalmist who sang:"The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament showeth His handiwork." psm 19:1
Re: Everyone Is A Believer! by Nobody: 6:41pm On Jan 08, 2012
Hardeihorllah:

@martian,
Thank you for that wonderful analysis, it's quite educative but I still mentain my ground.

Like you pointed out in your comment that one who worships God can not prove that God actually exists, so let me also ask you: can you prove that God does not exist? One thing that atheists like you and others have come to forget is that the fact that something can not be seen does not realy prove that thing does not exist! Black hole is one of the discoveries in astronomy. Black holes cannot be seen but thier effects can be felt on other astronomical bodies that are nearby, so also God cannot be seen by humans but His effects can be felt in the cosmos.
Look all around you and you too will not be able to help but echoe the voice of the psalmist who sang:"The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament showeth His handiwork." psm 19:1

God is just a human idea about the entity that "created" the universe. The truth is, no one knows if anything created the universe and if something did create the universe, we simply don't know the nature of that entity. There is an absence of evidence that we can use to form a concrete opinion about "God" but if you're refering to the jewish idea, there is evidence of absence that he doesn't exist. Same as every other god.
Olodumare, Yahweh,Zeus,Quetzacoatl, and "God" all have the same amount of evidence for their existence. Zilch.

Don't equate black holes with god because knowledge of black holes came aboout as a result of scientific observation and the use of telescopes. Also a lot of calculations are involved when Astrophysics make these findings. On the other hand, I can make a God up right now if I wish.

(1) (Reply)

Angry Mob Razes Church Where Members Worship Founder’s Skeleton / TB Joshua's Video Of An Old African President's Death / Eternal Security? Free Grace??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.