Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,869 members, 7,872,885 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 02:13 AM

#occupy Nigeria Sets 10 Point Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / #occupy Nigeria Sets 10 Point Nigeria (1269 Views)

Adams Unaji Is Dead (Occupy Nigeria Activist) / Occupy Nigeria: Updates From Across The Nation / Occupy Nigeria Protests: Locations And Dates (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

#occupy Nigeria Sets 10 Point Nigeria by nku5: 5:14pm On Jan 10, 2012
OCCUPY NIGERIA 10 POINT AGENDA.
Fellow Nigerians,
Nigeria belongs to all of us. Nobody has any greater stake or right to her than you and I.
We must therefore reclaim Nigeria from our tormentors.
The present struggle is not just about the removal of subsidy on petroleum. It is also about good governance and  also about a fight against the unbelievable level of corruption in government.

Our tormentors said we must sacrifice to secure our future. No sermon is as powerful as a good personal example. They must lead by example and we would follow.

Our demand should be the following and we would accept no less.

1. THERE MUST BE IN PLACE A LAW THAT MAKES STEALING PUBLIC FUNDS AN OFFENCE  PUNISHABLE     WITH PUBLIC EXECUTION.

2. THE IMMUNITY CLAUSE MUST GO BOTH AT THE FEDERAL AND STATE LEVELS .

3. THE PRESIDENT MUST SELL OFF ALL THE AIRCRAFT IN THE PRESIDENTIAL FLEET. (The Prime Minister of Britain a much bigger economy does not have one and travels by British Airways.)

4. THE PRESIDENT'S SALARY AND ALLOWANCES MUST NOT EXCEED $200,000. (Our President has no reason, whatsoever , to earn more than the American President.)

5. THE PRESIDENTIAL VILLA MUST BE SOLD OUT AND BE REPLACED WITH NO MORE THAN A 6-BEDROOM HOUSE.
(The British Prime Minister lives in a 3-bedroom apartment.)

6. FEEDING IN THE PRESIDENTIAL AND VP LODGE SHOULD NOT BE MORE THAN 1MILLION NAIRA PER MONTH. (Presently it is 90million Naira per month for both.)

7. NO LEGISLATOR SHALL EARN MORE THAN  A PERMANENT SECRETARY.

8. NO GOVERNMENT OFFICIAL SHALL HAVE MORE THAN ONE OFFICIAL CAR.

9. NO GOVERNMENT OFFICIAL OR APPOINTEE WOULD BE ENTITLLED TO FOREIGN MEDICAL TREATMENT. (Whatever is provided for the citizens should be good enough for our officials.)

10. THERE SHALL BE NO OFFICE OF THE FIRST LADY AT THE FEDERAL, STATE AND LOCAL GOVERNMENT LEVELS.
Re: #occupy Nigeria Sets 10 Point Nigeria by Dyt(f): 5:25pm On Jan 10, 2012
I laugh ooo
jonzin world mehn
we shld atleast face reality smtyms
we v nt achieved d removal of subsidy yet we want all dese accomplished
who cares if dey fly dere jets so long corruption s tackled n d masses v no reason 2 complain
Re: #occupy Nigeria Sets 10 Point Nigeria by Gbawe: 5:29pm On Jan 10, 2012
Very Good !!! Now we are talking !!!

Do Nigerians even realise that the recipient of the biggest amount of subsidy are those connected with governance? Have many of us looked at it that way? What do we think all the freebies and largesse associated with governance is if not 'subsidy'? They won't give up the subsidy they enjoy, even as they are only 0.00000001% of the population yet they want to wickedly remove the subsidy 160 million people benefit from in one way or another. This is why we keep saying GEJ and co should lead by example and remove the government subsidy applicable to their own offices and positions that is greater than the N1.4 trillion they lie claim will be saved through subsidy removal.
Re: #occupy Nigeria Sets 10 Point Nigeria by beafroast: 5:43pm On Jan 10, 2012
i tink sey na the kind 'TRANSFORMATION' wey oga jona promise be dat.
I DOUBT if dey fit gree.
Seriously,if dis kind measure fit happen,na him be sey we don dey dia. Enuf money go dey 'gidigba' to solve our national issues.
Re: #occupy Nigeria Sets 10 Point Nigeria by nku5: 6:13pm On Jan 10, 2012
^^^ Gbam!

We need sanity in our fiscal policy or else we're just a banana republic with oil.

Whether GEJ did not have shoes as a child or not he must ensure that the cost of governance comes down. 25% of basic salary my a.s.s
Re: #occupy Nigeria Sets 10 Point Nigeria by Gbawe: 6:19pm On Jan 10, 2012
nku5:

^^^ Gbam!

We need sanity in our fiscal policy or else we're just a banana republic with oil.

Whether GEJ did not have shoes as a child or not he must ensure that the cost of governance comes down. 25% of basic salary my a.s.s

Indeed. What is the point of those morbidly obese (Government and everyone/everything connected to it) failing to shed weight while hypocritically asking those who are skeletal already (the masses) to lose weight?
Re: #occupy Nigeria Sets 10 Point Nigeria by PapaBrowne(m): 8:37pm On Jan 10, 2012
Gbawe:

Very Good !!! Now we are talking !!!

Do Nigerians even realise that the recipient of the biggest amount of subsidy are those connected with governance? Have many of us looked at it that way? What do we think all the freebies and largesse associated with governance is if not 'subsidy'? They won't give up the subsidy they enjoy, even as they are only 0.00000001% of the population yet they want to wickedly remove the subsidy 160 million people benefit from in one way or another. This is why we keep saying GEJ and co should lead by example and remove the government subsidy applicable to their own offices and positions that is greater than the N1.4 trillion they lie claim will be saved through subsidy removal.
Do you really believe that the unrealistic and planless list written is very good?? If all those on the list are achieved, can't a contract still be given to a crony at over invoiced prices?? Isnt that a better route to milk the country??
My point- Simplistic lists like these would not take us anywhere.

Don't you think its a good idea we start by demanding leaner Governments from those closer to us like say the State Government. Maybe Fashola should be our the first port of call for Lagosians. That way we would be able to prove that these protests are not ethnic related.
Re: #occupy Nigeria Sets 10 Point Nigeria by Beaf: 9:42pm On Jan 10, 2012
It is quite a foolish agenda that only shows how shallow the protest organisers are. Nigeria's problems are much deeper than that shallow list.
No mention any of the following:

True federalism.
Citizen-state contract to give a sense of belonging to every Nigerian.
Functions of LG and state in the country's match to development. Is their sole task to divide money from Abuja?
The abrogation of the anti-people land use decree.
Resource control.
The passing of the PIB.
etc etc

Its like a gathering of directionless people who have unleashed crowds, but don't know what to do with them. They will get swallowed up, in fact it is high time more intellectually inclined people took over the protest movement.
Re: #occupy Nigeria Sets 10 Point Nigeria by Nobody: 9:53pm On Jan 10, 2012
Beaf:

It is quite a foolish agenda that only shows how shallow the protest organisers are. Nigeria's problems are much deeper than that shallow list.
You are the greatest clown in Nairaland. Do you sometimes read your comments before you post them? Please always do. We are burdened with a redundant and parasitic government that is adding no value to the nation, yet refused to make needed sacrificies. Those parasites in power instead ask us to pay for their inefficiency and corruption in the name of subsidy removal. Every reasonable and enlightened Nigerian knows this. I wonder why you have chosen to remain a jester for this clueless government. It's never too late to change your ways, that is, if you have not gone beyond redemption. Cheers
Re: #occupy Nigeria Sets 10 Point Nigeria by Gbawe: 10:03pm On Jan 10, 2012
PapaBrowne:

Do you really believe that the unrealistic and planless list written is very good?? If all those on the list are achieved, can't a contract still be given to a crony at over invoiced prices?? Isnt that a better route to milk the country??
My point- Simplistic lists like these would not take us anywhere.

Don't you think its a good idea we start by demanding leaner Governments from those closer to us like say the State Government. Maybe Fashola should be our the first port of call for Lagosians. That way we would be able to prove that these protests are not ethnic related.

"Very good" in the sense that at least demands are being made that should directs the attention of folks to what really matter instead of the facetious one way traffic approach that leads us to look at subsidy removal in a one dimensional manner. Certainly the concept of leaner Government must apply to all tiers but you and I know that 'Oga' (FG) must provide the lead. The FG, as currently convened, is a major drain on Nigeria's wealth. Far more so than the fuel subsidy. Reformation for greater prudence and tighter fiscal control must begin with the FG.
Re: #occupy Nigeria Sets 10 Point Nigeria by Beaf: 10:13pm On Jan 10, 2012
x-fire:

You are the greatest clown in Nairaland. Do you sometimes read your comments before you post them? Please always do. We are burdened with a redundant and parasitic government that is adding no value to the nation, yet refused to make needed sacrificies. Those parasites in power instead ask us to pay for their inefficiency and corruption in the name of subsidy removal. Every reasonable and enlightened Nigerian knows this. I wonder why you have chosen to remain a jester for this clueless government. It's never too late to change your ways, that is, if you have not gone beyond redemption. Cheers

You are sounding as shallow as the protest organisers. I bet you do not understand the grave importance of the items I listed, and I bet you don't care either; thats the shallowness I'm talking about.

When you have a cancer, the symptoms include various pains and deformations. To treat that cancer, people like you have failed to look deeper and can only see the symptoms like headaches and fevers, so you start taking panadol and drinking agbo. What do you think the end result would be?

The problem with Nigeria is chaos. It is not corruption, it is the whole system. The corrupt only take advantage of our chaotic system, therefore it is the system that needs tackling and anybody risking life and limb in the protests for such a superficial and stup!d 10 points, needs a brain transplant. Until shallow minded people begin to appreciate that the entire Nigerian system is the problem and that it is an emergency that needs attention, you will continue screaming for nothing and hitting the streets like lazy phuckers in search of awuf.

Read what I wrote in my previous post very carefully before you respond. I don't wish to engage in shallow discussion or battles that are only geared to save pockets for today and burn the future of generations tomorrow.

What if Nigeria did not have oil, would you be ready to kill yourself for a stone subsidy rather than tackle the fundamental problems that make our country sick?
The protest organisers are happy with the system, IMHO, it is because they are part of it.

Again:

Beaf:

True federalism.
Functions of LG and state in the country's match to development. Is their sole task to divide money from Abuja?
Resource control.
The passing of the PIB.
etc etc

Its like a gathering of directionless people who have unleashed crowds, but don't know what to do with them. They will get swallowed up, in fact it is high time more intellectually inclined people took over the protest movement.
Re: #occupy Nigeria Sets 10 Point Nigeria by nku5: 10:18pm On Jan 10, 2012
@ Beaf - you call a leaner wage and expense bill a foolish agenda? I dey fear you o! Let me ask u a question - does the lau-lau spending of this regime honestly reflect the state of the nation, economically at least?
Re: #occupy Nigeria Sets 10 Point Nigeria by Beaf: 10:34pm On Jan 10, 2012
nku5:

@ Beaf - you call a leaner wage and expense bill a foolish agenda? I dey fear you o! Let me ask u a question - does the lau-lau spending of this regime honestly reflect the state of the nation, economically at least?

Yes, it is a foolish agenda. If you can call the people out on the streets only to set such a weak tone, then the whole thing begins to stink of ulterior motives.
Nigeria is not phucked up because of a fat wage or expenses bill. If you travel abroad, you will find that LG's finance almost all services, from police to fire brigade and they still have excess to send to the central govt to keep it funded.
We have a lot of Nigerians in the UK and US here, let them tell you what their LG's (or municipalities) provide. I wish you would ask the question why your LG and mine too are mere Abuja alms receivers. That is sure not due to high wage and expense bills, is it?

Is it because of wages and expenses that in Nigeria, our LG's cannot provide jobs and development or is it because of a chaotic system that lacks direction and a constitution handed down by ex-generals that would better suit animals in the zoo? I could go on asking you questions and praying that you get it; I hope you will one day.

This is a golden opportunity for the young and the old to question the workability of the present constitution and how it sets out our system of chaos and entropy that the misguided have termed, federalism. It is a chaotic system that breeds loopholes that feed corruption, high wage and expence bills. It is the system that needs taking down, not mere bandages on the manifestations of the system, not taking panadol for cancer.
Re: #occupy Nigeria Sets 10 Point Nigeria by nku5: 10:42pm On Jan 10, 2012
@ Beaf- first of all, ppl don't need ulterior motives to demand fiscal sanity. You haven't said whether or not the wage and recurrent expense bill should come down but I'm sure u know it should.

I'm happy you are talking about the coma our local govts are in. Since u are passionate about it, u should work on encapsulating your ideas and pushing them through appropriate channels. This is a good time. You can't tell ppl not to demand accountablity and not tell then why they shouldnt
Re: #occupy Nigeria Sets 10 Point Nigeria by igbonla(m): 10:43pm On Jan 10, 2012
Beaf:

True federalism.
Resource control.
The passing of the PIB.
etc etc

And you think GEJ is interested in any of these? It will make more sense to have the SS folks join in the crusade on those issues you listed above, they will be addressed as a matter of urgency if Tom Polo and co would shut down all the crude oil production areas rather than working for their pockets. It was shocking to hear GEJ talked about tenure in office when the issue of Federalism and PIB has been on ground for a while!

Some of us will keep drumming it into your ears that the oil has pulled back the entire country especially the SW. Human brains are not put to good use when everybody is dependent on oil. I am not a fan of Tinubu but he did stood up to OBJ and ran the Lagos LGs without the useless monthly oil handouts. Some of us will give up 50% of our salary as tax if we wont have to run our own local government.
Re: #occupy Nigeria Sets 10 Point Nigeria by Beaf: 10:53pm On Jan 10, 2012
nku5:

@ Beaf- first of all, ppl don't need ulterior motives to demand fiscal sanity. You haven't said whether or not the wage and recurrent expense bill should come down but I'm sure u know it should.

I'm happy you are talking about the coma our local govts are in. Since u are passionate about it, u should work on encapsulating your ideas and pushing them through appropriate channels. This is a good time. You can't tell ppl not to demand accountablity and not tell then why they shouldnt

Dude, when the system has been corrected, wages and expenses will take care of themselves as part of a natural evolution. It is only a sick system that can have the NASS taking more home than Obama. Cure the root of the illness and the symptoms will go away.
Re: #occupy Nigeria Sets 10 Point Nigeria by Beaf: 11:08pm On Jan 10, 2012
igbonla:

And you think GEJ is interested in any of these? It will make more sense to have the SS folks join in the crusade on those issues you listed above, they will be addressed as a matter of urgency if Tom Polo and co would shut down all the crude oil production areas rather than working for their pockets. It was shocking to hear GEJ talked about tenure in office when the issue of Federalism and PIB has been on ground for a while!

Some of us will keep drumming it into your ears that the oil has pulled back the entire country especially the SW. Human brains are not put to good use when everybody is dependent on oil. I am not a fan of Tinubu but he did stood up to OBJ and ran the Lagos LGs without the useless monthly oil handouts. Some of us will give up 50% of our salary as tax if we wont have to run our own local government.

I will tell you very firmly that GEJ is. In fact he pushed the governors very hard the numerous times they came demanding more money from the FG. GEJ told them the only way was to decrease the FG and states share of the money in favour of the LG's. Not only that, he proposed to banish joint state and LG accounts and pay directly to the LG's in furtherance of true federalism. The governors went up in arms and refused. There has been a vigorous back and dorth and the matter is still ungoing.

I also mentioned the anti-people land use decree, well guess what? GEJ has that as part of his constitution review amendments. The man is quiet, but things are happening quietly as well. I believe it is Nigerians unusual need for outward displays of aggression that has driven some to think GEJ is a walkover; that in turn fuelled the unfortunate shallow protests and we are now where we are with many shocked that the end result of their walk in the park protest is far from what they envisaged.

If the protests organisers really mean well for the country, they would be demanding a sovereign national conference. Now, such a protest I would willingly join.

NB: You might find the stuff at the end of this link to be quite informative of some behind the scene events: http://www.economicconfidential.net/new/news/national-news/850-rationality-of-joint-state-and-local-government-accounts
Re: #occupy Nigeria Sets 10 Point Nigeria by Adanora: 11:41pm On Jan 10, 2012
Poster ure a joker. U beta go home and rest ur brain malfunctioning
Re: #occupy Nigeria Sets 10 Point Nigeria by nku5: 11:47pm On Jan 10, 2012
Quote from Adanora-

"Poster ure a joker. U beta go home and rest your brain malfunctioning"

@ Adanora - I don't even know where to start with you. You haven't said anything but blow some air outta ur a.s.s. What's ur point?
Re: #occupy Nigeria Sets 10 Point Nigeria by houvest: 12:25am On Jan 11, 2012
10- Point agenda. No mention of insecurity. No mention of  curbing the BH menace. They are spitting on the dead bodies of those slain by Boko Haram and they expect their relations to join in the protest. They leave out the greatest evil in Nigeria today and show no sympathies to the victims. The innocent blood of the victims will keep crying out at the insincerety and hollowness of the protest.

Listen to Soyinka:
[b]LONDON (AFP) - Nobel laureate Prof Wole Soyinka warned on Tuesday that his country was heading towards a civil war, blaming political leaders who spread religious intolerance.

Asked whether he agreed with President Goodluck Jonathan that the current unrest was worse than the 1960s civil war, he told the BBC World Service: “It’s not an unrealistic comparison — it’s certainly based on many similarities.

Prof Wole Soyinka

“We see the nation heading towards a civil war.”

Soyinka was also asked whether the unrest threatened the state of Nigeria itself, and replied: “It is going that way. We no longer can pretend it’s not.

“When you’ve got a situation where a bunch of people can go into a place of worship and open fire through the windows, you’ve reached a certain dismal watershed in the life of that nation.”

Soyinka said the issues raised by Islamist group Boko Haram, which was blamed for violence targeting Christians in the north of Nigeria and has sparked fears of a wider religious conflict, had been brewing for some time.

“There are people in power in certain parts of the country, leaders, who quite genuinely and authoritatively hate and cannot tolerate any religion outside their own,” he said.

“When you combine that with the ambitions of a number of people who believe they are divinely endowed to rule the country and who… believe that their religion is above whatever else binds the entire nation together, and somehow the power appears to slip from their hands, then they resort to the most extreme measures.

“Youths who have been indoctrinated right from infancy can be used, and who have been used, again and again to create mayhem in the country.”

He added: “Those who have created this faceless army have lost control.”

Soyinka, a dramatist and essayist, became Africa’s first Nobel laureate in literature when he won the prize in 1986.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/01/nigeria-heading-for-civil-war-soyinka/
[/b]
Re: #occupy Nigeria Sets 10 Point Nigeria by Beaf: 7:36am On Jan 12, 2012
This is the right time to resurrect this thread, after a few days of rather aimless protesting and with area boys beginning to take over.
Re: #occupy Nigeria Sets 10 Point Nigeria by jamace(m): 8:40am On Jan 12, 2012
OCCUPY NIGERIA 10 POINT AGENDA.
Fellow Nigerians,
Nigeria belongs to all of us. Nobody has any greater stake or right to her than you and I.
We must therefore reclaim Nigeria from our tormentors.
The present struggle is not just about the removal of subsidy on petroleum. It is also about good governance and also about a fight against the unbelievable level of corruption in government.

Our tormentors said we must sacrifice to secure our future. No sermon is as powerful as a good personal example. They must lead by example and we would follow.

Our demand should be the following and we would accept no less.

1. THERE MUST BE IN PLACE A LAW THAT MAKES STEALING PUBLIC FUNDS AN OFFENCE PUNISHABLE WITH PUBLIC EXECUTION.

2. THE IMMUNITY CLAUSE MUST GO BOTH AT THE FEDERAL AND STATE LEVELS .

3. THE PRESIDENT MUST SELL OFF ALL THE AIRCRAFT IN THE PRESIDENTIAL FLEET. (The Prime Minister of Britain a much bigger economy does not have one and travels by British Airways.)

4. THE PRESIDENT'S SALARY AND ALLOWANCES MUST NOT EXCEED $200,000. (Our President has no reason, whatsoever , to earn more than the American President.)

5. THE PRESIDENTIAL VILLA MUST BE SOLD OUT AND BE REPLACED WITH NO MORE THAN A 6-BEDROOM HOUSE.
(The British Prime Minister lives in a 3-bedroom apartment.)

6. FEEDING IN THE PRESIDENTIAL AND VP LODGE SHOULD NOT BE MORE THAN 1MILLION NAIRA PER MONTH. (Presently it is 90million Naira per month for both.)

7. NO LEGISLATOR SHALL EARN MORE THAN A PERMANENT SECRETARY.

8. NO GOVERNMENT OFFICIAL SHALL HAVE MORE THAN ONE OFFICIAL CAR.

9. NO GOVERNMENT OFFICIAL OR APPOINTEE WOULD BE ENTITLLED TO FOREIGN MEDICAL TREATMENT. (Whatever is provided for the citizens should be good enough for our officials.)

10. THERE SHALL BE NO OFFICE OF THE FIRST LADY AT THE FEDERAL, STATE AND LOCAL GOVERNMENT LEVELS.

I concur! cool cool

(1) (Reply)

7 Reasons Why Gaddafi Had To Die / Occupy Boko-Haram! Northern Nigerian Muslims Start This / Photos Of Edo State Governor Adams Oshiomhole Queueing For Accreditation (pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.