Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,665 members, 7,882,225 topics. Date: Saturday, 06 July 2024 at 07:23 PM

Mathematics Or Engineering - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Mathematics Or Engineering (7160 Views)

B.sc Mathematics Or B.sc Industrial Chemistry.reali Confused!!!!!!!! / Aviation Or Engineering / Computer Science Or Engineering! Help (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mathematics Or Engineering by kariolality: 12:21pm On Jan 11, 2012
I'm new here nd i've been looking for a site like this and now i gt it, I'm a boy of 16yrs of age nd wil be 17 in three months time, I nid someone that wil not mislead me, I'm good in Mathematics,Physics,Geography,Technical drawing and also not too bad in chemistry and i'm in d final year in d secondary school, i'm in a confused situation on what to study in d university whether to study MATHEMATICS or ENGINEERING, I want to study maths because tends to be my best subject nd i score A's in school,on the other hand i want to study Engineering because i like solving problem and meeting peoples need, nd if u think its engineering which field suit me most, enlighten me, thnks, it's what u say i wil take to,
Re: Mathematics Or Engineering by yamakuza: 12:37pm On Jan 11, 2012
My brother, secondary school maths is not the same as university mathematics.

I'll advise that you go for engineering so that you can easily make stellar grades. There are many areas in BSc Mathematics that can dent your GPA.

Chemical Engineering has the most maths of the engineering disciplines. If chemistry will be a problem, you can settle for Elect, Computer or Mech Engineering in that order.
Re: Mathematics Or Engineering by kariolality: 5:10pm On Jan 11, 2012
Thanksss, but why did u say chemical engineering is more of maths dan other engnr field.?
Re: Mathematics Or Engineering by kariolality: 5:20pm On Jan 11, 2012
I think Maths depends on ones foundation and IQ, plus understanding,
Re: Mathematics Or Engineering by yamakuza: 7:05pm On Jan 11, 2012
kariolality:

Thanksss, but why did u say chemical engineering HAS MORE maths dan other engnr fields?

thats what Chem Engrs say, and its true.

kariolality:

I think Maths depends on ones foundation and IQ, plus understanding,

trust me, there are fields of Mathematics you dont want to go near.

Totally not worth the trouble/headache.
Re: Mathematics Or Engineering by Nobody: 9:12pm On Jan 11, 2012
Yamakuza is completely right. There is a BIG difference between secondary school maths (or even further maths) and university maths. I made A1 effortlessly in both mathematics and further maths in my WAEC and GCE, but it was a different ball game in the university. You meet some difficult, complex and abstract mathematics. I also studied chemical engrg. True, chem eng has a lot of maths. chem engrg, as a course of study is very mathematical and abstract. But if you love maths, I assure you that you will meet a lots of Maths (more than you probably bargained for) in any engineering discipline, and you will also be more exposed. I advise you to go for engineering, probably mech or elect because of versatility and deep mathematical applications. On a lighter note, Yamakuza, are you an engineer?
Re: Mathematics Or Engineering by yamakuza: 9:34pm On Jan 11, 2012
^
In theory.

I'm still finding x.
Re: Mathematics Or Engineering by Nobody: 6:55am On Jan 13, 2012
The likes of Jacobian and tree theory. . .
Re: Mathematics Or Engineering by yamakuza: 9:31am On Jan 13, 2012
rx steve:

The likes of Jacobian and tree theory. . .

those ones are still palatable.

I was implying something along the lines of Complex Analysis, featuring Cauchy, Weierstrass and their Function Theorems.

Probability Distributions or Stochastic Processes is another one.

Lets not talk about Tensors or Elasticity.

As you can see, they all have enticing names.

1 Like

Re: Mathematics Or Engineering by tanimola22: 6:03pm On Jan 13, 2012
------And measure theory, functional analysis, number theory, ring theory and group theory. These specifically nailed all those engineering guys who ran to our department in those days to make the best grades. They painfully wished they never took such a decision. As I said the last time, the best of them managed to make an oriyomi 2.2. He try sha.

If you like computational kind of mathematics, then mathematics, as done at mathematics departments, is really not for you. Engineering should be more fulfilling.

Follow the advice that awon egbon have given you. I am very convinced that you will make an excellent engineering student because of your strong foundation in Math, TD and Physics. My friends who are fine engineers today had the kind of strong foundation you have now. Please don't waste it.

Finally, because your knowledge of Chemistry is not that strong, I would advise that you go for either systems engineering, electrical engineering or even mechanical engineering. Met and Mat engineering, petroleum engineering and chemical engineering all require a sound knowledge of specific areas of Chemistry. If you study any one of these courses, you will take classes with chemistry and industrial chemistry students. You will therefore need a sound knowledge of Chemistry to cope in these classes.

So, my brother/sister, continue to score those A's and continue to study very hard. In fact, aim to be the best in JAMB when you take it. If you have not taken WAEC, then start planning on how you will become the best WAEC student, not only in your secondary school, but also in the whole of West Africa. My brother, it is possible. Bosun started like you many years ago and he achieved all these things. You too can do it, if only you could set your mind to it and start planning from now. A day is coming when you will be celebrated for what you know, don't worry. Your mates might say eni to mo way lo mo we, but don't mind them. Many people said so in our time, but where are they today?

Look at my profile for my email address and then send me an email. It is always a pleasure to be around smart kids who genuinely need help. 

Take care and keep working hard.

Truly yours,
T22.
Re: Mathematics Or Engineering by yamakuza: 6:21pm On Jan 13, 2012
tanimola22:

------And measure theory, functional analysis, number theory, ring theory and group theory. [/b]These specifically nailed all those engineering guys who ran to our department in those days to make the best grades. They painfully wished they never took such a decision. As I said the last time, the best of them managed to make an oriyomi 2.2. He try sha.

If you like computational kind of mathematics, then mathematics, as done at mathematics departments, is really not for you. Engineering should be more fulfilling.

i wanted to add those too, but remembered that whilst i had problems with them, those who sucked at applied maths aced real analysis, number theory and groups & rings.

Those of us who hated real analysis and group theory loved calculus and applied maths.

Maybe its a left brain/right brain kind of thing?

Thats why i found [b]bookface
queer the last time.

We all generally hated Probability Distributions though. The options were too many.

Complex Analysis? Why bother! The name says it all.
Re: Mathematics Or Engineering by tanimola22: 6:49pm On Jan 13, 2012
I think it partly depends on the lecturers who give these courses. Some lecturers are able to stimulate students' interests, even in the most abstract of courses. For instance, probability and measure theory are naturally tough, no doubt about that. However, in my time, we had highly motivated lecturers who made these courses look very doable. With their systematic way of teaching, we developed the right intuition needed to get a clearer and better understanding of these courses. You know, measure theory and probability theory work hand in hand. In fact, modern probability theory is, in a way, an extension of measure theory. A good understanding of measure theory paves the way for a solid understading of probability theory.

Only 15% of the students who took Complex Analysis in my time passed. That was Complex Analysis 1. For Complex Analysis II, only 7 of us were eligible to take it and we took the course in our HOD's office. The HOD was the lecturer at the time. By the way, the way Complex Analysis is taught at engineering departments is quite different from the way math professors teach it O. It is more computational when taught by an engineering prof, but very crazily more theoretical when taught by a math prof, especially a frustrated and wicked math prof. In this case, it is usually more of theorems and proofs. It can get really abstract and difficult, something that engineering students are not used to.

T22

1 Like

Re: Mathematics Or Engineering by yamakuza: 7:26pm On Jan 13, 2012
tanimola22:

I think it partly depends on the lecturers who give these courses. Some lecturers are able to stimulate students' interests, even in the most abstract of courses. For instance, probability and measure theory are naturally tough, no doubt about that. However, in my time, we had highly motivated lecturers who made these courses look very doable. With their systematic way of teaching, we developed the right intuition needed to get a clearer and better understanding of these courses. You know, measure theory and probability theory work hand in hand. In fact, modern probability theory is, in a way, an extension of measure theory. A good understanding of measure theory paves the way for a solid understading of probability theory.

they both have practical applications, so we could still grope our way in the dark when blind.

But i agree with the lecturer part too. No wonder sadist lecturers record high failure rates.

Only 15% of the students who took Complex Analysis in my time passed. That was Complex Analysis 1. For Complex Analysis II, only 7 of us were eligible to take it and we took the course in our HOD's office. The HOD was the lecturer at the time. By the way, the way Complex Analysis is taught at engineering departments is quite different from the way math professors teach it O. It is more computational when taught by an engineering prof, but very crazily more theoretical when taught by a math prof, especially a frustrated and wicked math prof. In this case, it is usually more of theorems and proofs. It can get really abstract and difficult, something that engineering students are not used to.

T22

ur class must have been large?

Only 10 made it to part II in my time.

It was fun though. We got to fix our lecture and exam timetables.

Had a lot of time to explore interests outside Mathematics.

It was fun. I think i'd do it again. No regrets.
Re: Mathematics Or Engineering by tanimola22: 9:19pm On Jan 13, 2012
yamakuza:

they both have practical applications, so we could still grope our way in the dark when blind.

But i agree with the lecturer part too. No wonder sadist lecturers record high failure rates.

your class must have been large?

Only 10 made it to part II in my time.

It was fun though. We got to fix our lecture and exam timetables.

Had a lot of time to explore interests outside Mathematics.

It was fun. I think i'd do it again. No regrets.

Yes, my class was large. Extra year students and students who transferred from engineering contributed to this large size. In my opinion, those students would have been better off if they had stayed in engineering and made their third class there jeje. At least, today, people would have referred to them as engineers grin Having a third class in mathematics in worse than having a third class in engineering. Again, my opinion.

T22.
Re: Mathematics Or Engineering by yamakuza: 9:34pm On Jan 13, 2012
tanimola22:

Yes, my class was large. Extra year students and students who transferred from engineering contributed to this large size. In my opinion, those students would have been better off if they had stayed in engineering and made their third class there jeje. At least, today, people would have referred to them as engineers grin Having a third class in mathematics in worse than having a third class in engineering. Again, my opinion.

T22.

grin grin grin grin grin grin

Thats strange. Transfers from Engr to Maths?

Of the 65 given admission in my time, about 35 enrolled, 10 transfered and 15 did JAMB again leaving 10 to continue the journey.

Transfer to Maths? What were they thinking?

Lolz.
Re: Mathematics Or Engineering by tanimola22: 11:30pm On Jan 13, 2012
^^^^

Actually they had bad grades while in engineering and so they believed maths was where they could make those great grades which they had always wanted. Unfortunately, many of them left disappointingly.
Re: Mathematics Or Engineering by yamakuza: 11:38pm On Jan 13, 2012
Pity. How some people underestimate maths. And sometimes, Mathematicians!
Re: Mathematics Or Engineering by kariolality: 9:33pm On Jan 15, 2012
Bro.tanimola22 nd others thnk u, i really appreciate, i'll take to your advice , i nid more advice nd info from u all, i luv dis site,
Re: Mathematics Or Engineering by kariolality: 4:59pm On Jan 16, 2012
Now,i've put my mind off studying maths in d uni.
Re: Mathematics Or Engineering by yamakuza: 5:23pm On Jan 16, 2012
kariolality:

Now,i've put my mind off studying maths in d uni.

Very very very good decision!

Thank us in 5yrs time or thereabouts!
Re: Mathematics Or Engineering by Nobody: 9:35pm On Jan 18, 2012
yamakuza:

I'll advise that you go for engineering so that you can easily make stellar grades. There are many areas in BSc Mathematics that can dent your GPA.

Chemical Engineering has the most maths of the engineering disciplines. If chemistry will be a problem, you can settle for Elect, Computer or Mech Engineering in that order.

You couldn't have said it better. I studied Engineering physics and Physics on it's own is crazy. In part one, my class numbered over 80 i.e Physics and Engr Physics, 4 years after, we were less than 20. Don't ask me what happened to the others grin

And then, we borrowed some maths course from the mathematics department. They were so happy to dent our GP's, I sometimes wonder how students survive in Maths depts. We have our own abstract courses in Physics like Quantum mechanics and Nuclear Engineering but I was told every course module in maths dept is Abstract.

yamakuza:

grin grin grin grin grin grin

Thats strange. Transfers from Engr to Maths?

Of the 65 given admission in my time, about 35 enrolled, 10 transfered and 15 did JAMB again leaving 10 to continue the journey.

Transfer to Maths? What were they thinking?

Lolz.

I actually know someone who transferred in my set from Computer science/Engineering with Maths to core Math dept. But the boy na winch sha. He said computer with Maths was too easy and wanted something more challenging. He is now a lecturer in maths dept.
Re: Mathematics Or Engineering by yamakuza: 11:23pm On Jan 18, 2012
^ OAU?

Engr Phy/Comp. Maths reference

To each his own sha.
Re: Mathematics Or Engineering by kariolality: 3:10pm On Jan 19, 2012
, Hmmmm,
Re: Mathematics Or Engineering by Nobody: 3:48pm On Jan 22, 2012
Never knew maths was this complex. No wonder my Further Maths teacher acts crazily, he had a 1st class in Maths. . I respect Mathematicians esp. females
Re: Mathematics Or Engineering by Shock(m): 4:00pm On Jan 22, 2012
rx steve:

Never knew maths was this complex. No wonder my Further Maths teacher acts crazily, he had a 1st class in Maths. . I respect Mathematicians esp. females

I don't think it's actually as complex as it sounds.  Most people just like to make themselves feel good and appear bright simply because they had a degree in Maths. Many topics in Mathematics can be self studied, you can't achieve the same with Physics or chemical engineering.
Re: Mathematics Or Engineering by eDontey1(m): 2:34pm On Jan 25, 2012
Generally any engineering course is not easy and no maths course is easy either.
it's a 2-way thing: if u re sure u really knw d maths and nt dat ur schools math standard is low and u re getting high marks with ease, u now think u knw maths guy,any engineering course will corrode you and maths will frustrate ur lyf in the university
but if u re sure not just know but u really knw it: go 4 maths course
if u re sure you knw it and u can apply what u knw in real lyf situations: go 4 engineering courses
Re: Mathematics Or Engineering by Nobody: 9:33pm On Jan 26, 2012
yamakuza:

^ OAU?

Engr Phy/Comp. Maths reference

To each his own sha.

Yes, OAU
Re: Mathematics Or Engineering by Wemmy6284(m): 12:34pm On Apr 24, 2012
Thanks @ all ..Now i've chosen Electrical/Electronic Engineering to study @ OAU..
Re: Mathematics Or Engineering by yamakuza: 12:40pm On Apr 24, 2012
Congrats! You can still change to Chem or Maths department in your 2nd year if you discover Elect isnt for you.
[s]
In fact, you stand a better chance of graduating with the highest CGPA in OAU if you are in Chem Engr vs other Tech depts.
[/s]
Re: Mathematics Or Engineering by jaybee3(m): 12:47pm On Apr 24, 2012
yamakuza:

[s]Chemical Engineering has the most maths of the engineering disciplines[/s]. If chemistry will be a problem, you can settle for Elect, Computer or Mech Engineering in that order.
Wrong assertion, Electrical/Electronics Engineering has that honour.
I should know this simply because my wife has a BEng in Chem Eng and i on the other hand have a MSc in E/E Eng
Re: Mathematics Or Engineering by yamakuza: 1:08pm On Apr 24, 2012
jay bee:
Wrong assertion, Electrical/Electronics Engineering has that honour.
I should know this simply because my wife has a BEng in Chem Eng and i on the other hand have a MSc in E/E Eng

ngbo, x-fire, na true?

Maybe EE has more maths at MSc level but while in school, my Chem Engr friends did the most Maths and my other tech friends agreed they did.
Re: Mathematics Or Engineering by jaybee3(m): 1:20pm On Apr 24, 2012
yamakuza:

ngbo, x-fire, na true?

Maybe EE has more maths at MSc level but while in school, my Chem Engr friends did the most Maths and my other tech friends agreed they did.
They simply aren't telling you the truth.
Just compare the modules an average chemical engineering student would take throughout their undergraduate course and compare that with the EE counterpart.

http://www.edt.brad.ac.uk/Program-Teams/Study-Modules/Chemical-Engineering-Study-Modules/

http://www.glyndwr.ac.uk/en/Undergraduatecourses/ElectricalandElectronicEngineering/BEngHonsElectricalandElectronicEngineeringmodules/

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Verify Your Alipay Account For Non Chinese / What Is The Differnce Betwwen Regular Combatants And Short Service Commission In / How Much Does Fedex Pay For Entry Level.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.