Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,192,304 members, 7,947,455 topics. Date: Thursday, 12 September 2024 at 08:08 PM

A Career With International Charities? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / A Career With International Charities? (904 Views)

How Lucrative Is Pharmacy As A Career? / Can I Get A Job With International Certification From USA In MLT / Adance Your Career With ICAN Easily Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Career With International Charities? by durobraham(f): 10:34pm On Jan 17, 2012
Just wondering-is there anyone here who's making a career of charity work and can give advice on how to begin.
Most job ads relating to charities are seeking experienced people or people with advanced degrees.
I would like to know what opportunities are open to people with first degrees in this field and how to get the required experience?
Help! somebody?anybody?
Re: A Career With International Charities? by violent(m): 11:57pm On Jan 17, 2012
What skills/qualifications do you have?
Re: A Career With International Charities? by durobraham(f): 4:55am On Jan 19, 2012
Thanks for replying violent
Re: A Career With International Charities? by violent(m): 9:11pm On Jan 19, 2012
I believe given your educational background, it's probably a good idea to consider building experience by joining a local human rights group with international links.  This way, you can build on your network and experience that will eventually prove relevant to future career.

On the other hand, if your main interest is in the line of development, then you may need to gain exposure to this field through a postgraduate degree/diploma in international development courses or social science courses.  A course in Agric development or economics will be mostly favoured,  Learning a foreign language will also be quite useful as well as demonstrating love for travel.

I know companies like prosperity initiative (http://prosperityinitiative.org/) love to hire people with Agric development/social sciences background for development roles.
Re: A Career With International Charities? by durobraham(f): 1:04am On Jan 20, 2012
Thanks a lot violent.God bless
Re: A Career With International Charities? by dantesco: 1:41pm On Mar 18, 2013
durobraham: Just wondering-is there anyone here who's making a career of charity work and can give advice on how to begin.
Most job ads relating to charities are seeking experienced people or people with advanced degrees.
I would like to know what opportunities are open to people with first degrees in this field and how to get the required experience?
Help! somebody?anybody?

Hi,
Entering in the development work is not easy but also not impossible.
I recommend you to read the articles in this blog:
http://www.aidboard.com/category/blog/

They are very useful and the website has many jobs in the field.

Kind regards

(1) (Reply)

GIST AND CASH / Project Management Certification In Nigeria / Stanbic Ibtc 2013 Recruitment Online Registration Process

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.