Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,852 members, 7,872,843 topics. Date: Wednesday, 26 June 2024 at 11:43 PM

Oau Second Yr Comp Engr Vs Yabatech Hnd1 Comp Engr: Plz Help - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Oau Second Yr Comp Engr Vs Yabatech Hnd1 Comp Engr: Plz Help (12868 Views)

Oau Second Semester Resumption Date: November 1 And Lecture Commences November 9 / Oau Second Admission List, Is It Out? / Oau Second List (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oau Second Yr Comp Engr Vs Yabatech Hnd1 Comp Engr: Plz Help by Nobody: 5:01pm On Jan 25, 2012
Abi o
Re: Oau Second Yr Comp Engr Vs Yabatech Hnd1 Comp Engr: Plz Help by kboye: 5:30pm On Jan 25, 2012
Discrimination between HND and first degree can be/is still frustrating especially in the area of limitations for HND Holders in most Multi National Companies. But i will like to point out that it is utterly wrong to focus only on the positive sides of obtaining B.eng and not considering pursuing HND before this young man takes a decision. Am presently working with a Multi National company in Nigeria, my Manager does not posses a university degree but takes home over 6M p/annum, most of my university friends back then can not boast of same salary package that i presently earn over 2M p/annum. Most employers this days are gradualling shifting from what qualifications do you have in interviews rather what can you offer the organization and i guess this is where you have to be careful in making a decision and ask yourself what exactly you want to achieve. i became interested in this topic because i saw that you are computer engineering student and i will like to share my this with you. I graduated with HND in Physics/Electronics in 2006, while waiting for service year and the thought of discrimination for HND graduates i decided to pursue a career in IT where i sat and passed CCNA in 2007, during my suppose service year I linked up with a former Senior back then in school that runs an IT company then,worked there for 14months where i was paid peanuts (15k) but all that i have learned there is what i am today. Where i presently work is the only place out of the 4th company that i have worked for that was really really interested in seeing my certificate before offering me a job as it is a Multi- National company others preferred to ask me what i could offer them, hence i will like to submit that though while running my HND programme i wasn't happy but am glad i took that decision especially venturing into IT after leaving school and i don't have any regret whatsoever. I wish you the very best in your decision and Life
Re: Oau Second Yr Comp Engr Vs Yabatech Hnd1 Comp Engr: Plz Help by Nobody: 5:35pm On Jan 25, 2012
Guy, if your ears are rightly positioned, and they are not dysfunctional, correct people have advised you to go for your OAU stuff 'jeje', don't mess it up o. I have a financial constraints during my time too, and went for HND at the same Yabatech, finished well in 2004,
Now, I have just finished my B.Sc which I started afresh due to employment relegation of the HND.

Besides, you are still young to start counting unnecessary losses due to strike. Make the sacrifice once, and focus on building your life right away. A word is enough for the wise ooo, if you are actually wise. Good luck to you but not Jona,
Re: Oau Second Yr Comp Engr Vs Yabatech Hnd1 Comp Engr: Plz Help by loma(m): 12:54am On Jan 27, 2012
As a graduate of Computer Engineering from OAU (and an OND holder), I strongly advise you take up the Ife admission. No need to waste words on why.
Re: Oau Second Yr Comp Engr Vs Yabatech Hnd1 Comp Engr: Plz Help by maclatunji: 3:47pm On Jan 27, 2012
Kboye understands what I have said here before. It is not as simple as many undergraduates are saying. Do you think Google, Yahoo and Facebook will not employ a Secondary School leaver who can give them what they want ahead of a PhD. holder ? I know what it means for people to employ you without viewing your credentials.
Re: Oau Second Yr Comp Engr Vs Yabatech Hnd1 Comp Engr: Plz Help by Sagamite(m): 4:32pm On Jan 27, 2012
maclatunji:

Kboye understands what I have said here before. It is not as simple as many undergraduates are saying. Do you think Google, Yahoo and Facebook will not employ a Secondary School leaver who can give them what they want ahead of a PhD. holder ? I know what it means for people to employ you without viewing your credentials.

Come on, men. You know it is Naija we are talking about here?

People that will hire him will not have the exposure and the lateral thinking to think like that. In Naija, the person that packs certificate from left, right and centre it the Shampion.
Re: Oau Second Yr Comp Engr Vs Yabatech Hnd1 Comp Engr: Plz Help by maclatunji: 6:06pm On Jan 27, 2012
^ In 4-5 years time he could have an HND+BSC in addition to work against just an OAU degree if he is good.
Re: Oau Second Yr Comp Engr Vs Yabatech Hnd1 Comp Engr: Plz Help by Sagamite(m): 6:17pm On Jan 27, 2012
maclatunji:

^ In 4-5 years time he could have an HND+BSC in addition to work against just an OAU degree if he is good.

If you have a BSc, the HND is redundant, so why bother?
Re: Oau Second Yr Comp Engr Vs Yabatech Hnd1 Comp Engr: Plz Help by maclatunji: 6:37pm On Jan 27, 2012
Knowledge, work experience, parents' blessings. The zeal and ability to solve problems in a dynamic way etc.

I think the guys problem is that his parents want him to start earning income in 2 year's time against them having to finance him for the next 4-5 years. We don"t know their financial state and the number of other siblings they have to cater for.
Re: Oau Second Yr Comp Engr Vs Yabatech Hnd1 Comp Engr: Plz Help by Sagamite(m): 6:41pm On Jan 27, 2012
^^^ You have a point there.
Re: Oau Second Yr Comp Engr Vs Yabatech Hnd1 Comp Engr: Plz Help by RuuDie(m): 5:00am On Jan 28, 2012
lonamy:

Omo, somehow we are in the same shoes. But mine happened in 1998/1999. By the grace of God I am OAU graduate, Computer Engineering. I am well above any job discrimination in this country or any where in the world. Even if you finish your HND and go for MBA, forget it. Your first paper will forever be HND and can not be compared to the one with BSC and MBA.

So please, tell your people, if they are really your people and they are sure they love you, tell them to help bare with the situation you will go thru in Ife for just say 5 years, than to go thru the same situation for the rest of your life. So choose between the two evil, I think one is better. LOL.

Bros, dis na fat lie. . . . when you get a Master's or MBA, nobody gives a hoot about the previous degree again!
So, in other words our OP here can still finish HND, do PGD if necessary and then onto Master's - if you sit through two years of OND in a poly, especially in practical courses like the pure sciences and engineering, I am sure you will understand why I consider year-2 in a Uni as a backward step, discrimination or not!
Re: Oau Second Yr Comp Engr Vs Yabatech Hnd1 Comp Engr: Plz Help by aykay45(m): 2:46am On Jun 17, 2012
philippao: Dear all, I finished my ND @ yaba college of Technology 2010, right now, i am almost done with my one year industrial training. I applied for driect entry to Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-Ife to study computer engineering, Fortunatly, i was giving admission. I equally applied for HND @ yabatech to finish up my computer engineering career there, i was equally giving admission, Right now, i am so much confused on which one to take, looking at ASUU strike and how many years i am going to spend @ OAU IFE, if i am @ yabatech, i will just do more two year buy but OAU will take like four years all things being equall, Most importantly, My people are against oau ife cos of the years and financial aspect of it, I really do not know what to do now, I really need your candid advice, I am 23years of age. waiting anxiously for your comments.
U doubts have bin cleared n from d look of tins u shld already b in OAU, bros abeg na me need ur help nw, I don't even av a plan of buying HND form cos I can't go bck, I applied to computer engineering ds coming admission wt a distinction from fed poly ado, course is accredited in my school, d CGPA mak sense, individual scores in my transcript make sense buh I still dey fear seriously cos I can't afford to loose dis admission, u said u we're 23, me am 24(if I miss dis one na I'm be say I fit mis youth service too), so pls I need to knw hw precisely u followed d admission up, pls also anyone dat can help
I need ur contact badly, u can add me on fb tru search4iyke@yahoo.com, 07062528242,08051089356(jst let me knw say na u, I go dey do all d calling, na me need help)
Tanks for ur concern
Re: Oau Second Yr Comp Engr Vs Yabatech Hnd1 Comp Engr: Plz Help by Default01: 8:41am On Jun 17, 2012
A friend of mine applied 4 adm at PTI and also FUTMINNA bt his course was changed 4rm elect engg to microbiology at FUTMINNA he decided to go to PTI ND and HND nw he is happy bcus dats wot his heart told him just follow ur heart OAU wont b de one 2 get u a good job u will determine ur own faith.my advice to u is just b wise ma guy
Re: Oau Second Yr Comp Engr Vs Yabatech Hnd1 Comp Engr: Plz Help by 2good(m): 9:13am On Jun 17, 2012
Default01: A friend of mine applied 4 adm at PTI and also FUTMINNA bt his course was changed 4rm elect engg to microbiology at FUTMINNA he decided to go to PTI ND and HND nw he is happy bcus dats wot his heart told him just follow ur heart OAU wont b de one 2 get u a good job u will determine ur own faith.my advice to u is just b wise ma guy

Your friend is happy because he's not yet in the labour market. I have seen extremely brilliant people living a life of misery and discrimination just because they have HND. Its an unfortunate situation but that's how Nigeria operates today. The decision you make today determines your progression for your entire working life except you have your own company.
Re: Oau Second Yr Comp Engr Vs Yabatech Hnd1 Comp Engr: Plz Help by PopoolaTaiwo(m): 11:32am On Jun 17, 2012
Guy if am in ya shoe. I wl rada go 4 d 2. Rxt my case
Re: Oau Second Yr Comp Engr Vs Yabatech Hnd1 Comp Engr: Plz Help by youngaly: 10:27pm On Feb 26, 2013
Pls i sincerely need ur opinion... I graduated 4rm poly ibadan, HND mechanical engineering (upper credit). I'm confused if oau will admit me into 300level...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

We Are Not Aware Of Lautech’s Resumption, ASUU, SSANU Say / 2017/18 Nigerian Mathematics and Sciences Olympiads (First Round Results) / Is A Foetus A Parasite?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.