Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,822 members, 7,889,722 topics. Date: Sunday, 14 July 2024 at 06:57 PM

I Need To Ask This (as A Computer Engineer) - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / I Need To Ask This (as A Computer Engineer) (806 Views)

When You Are A Computer Guru And Your Girlfriend Needs Your Assistance / 8 Questions To Ask Yourself Before Commenting Online, So Special / How A Computer Algorithm Predicted Ebola Outbreak Before WHO's Announcement. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Need To Ask This (as A Computer Engineer) by koseepaaro(m): 9:43am On Oct 14, 2007
Please, can anyone in the house make this clear to me: Though, I'm a Computer (Hardware) Engineer but I still don't know whether those that own WEBSITE have a special system (PC) that they use to create their website and they have to leave that their system ON for 24/7 for anyone in the world to be able to access their site. So, anyone with info that can make this clear to me should please reply this my message.

Thanks a lot in advance
Re: I Need To Ask This (as A Computer Engineer) by my2cents(m): 4:12pm On Oct 14, 2007
If I understand your question:
The software used to create sites don't have to be on 24/7 but what hosts the website, as in the server, has to be on 4/7.

If I don't understand:
expound please.
Re: I Need To Ask This (as A Computer Engineer) by koseepaaro(m): 5:59pm On Oct 14, 2007
This is the example of what I mean: Let say I have a system at home and I use that system to create my own website. Most I leave that my system ON 24/7 before anyone can access my website? or it doesn't mean, even if my system is switch OFF for say one or two months, anyboby in the world can still access my website. Is that how it is? Please, explain this to me.

Thanks.
Re: I Need To Ask This (as A Computer Engineer) by my2cents(m): 1:06am On Oct 15, 2007
kose,

u keep saying "system" as though it were some code to get one into heaven grin

If that "system" is not the server which hosts your site, then no, you don't need it on 24/7. Note that you can have a locally-running server which you use as your development environment. In this case, no one but you (or others you grant access to) have access to such a "system". In this case, if you wanted the other party to access your server, then yes, you would need it on 24/7.

Chances are, you are referring to a "www" server, in which case, I say again, yes, you would need that on 24/7 for the world to see your site(s).

I hope this helps.
Re: I Need To Ask This (as A Computer Engineer) by Kobojunkie: 3:34am On Oct 15, 2007
koseepaaro:

This is the example of what I mean: Let say I have a system at home and I use that system to create my own website. Most I leave that my system ON 24/7 before anyone can access my website? or it doesn't mean, even if my system is switch OFF for say one or two months, anyboby in the world can still access my website. Is that how it is? Please, explain this to me.

Thanks.

When you create your website on your home machine, if you want to have people all over the world be able to access your website, you have to upload it to a server. Now, if your home system is a server machine, then you can use it as a server and save your website in the appropriate folder, and make your IP address available. If you use your own machine/system as a server, yes, you have to keep it on 24 hours a day and make sure to maintain it and all. This is not usually advisable cause it is a lot of work and when the power goes off and comes back on, you have to be there to put the machine back on for your site to be available again online.

A better alternative would be for you to register for a host account, which is simple a server account where you can save your website to someone else's server machine and that person will basically keep your site up.

Mostly people get domain names ( www address) so people do not have to memorize Ip address, they can just type in simple www.whateveryourwebsitename.com and go to your website that way.
Re: I Need To Ask This (as A Computer Engineer) by koseepaaro(m): 12:22am On Oct 16, 2007
You are both great my2cents and Kobojunkie. The information really help a lot. But once more kobojunkie, if I get you right, you are telling me that one can use one's personal server (the machine on which one created one's website) to reate a website for oneself and make sure that that server remain ON and also connected to the internet for 24/7 without putting it OFF for anyone in the world to be able to access it, unless the server have problem and need to be shut down only for repair purpose (if the problem require that) and alternatively, one can also partner with somebody or an organization that have his server connected to the net 24/7 by having one's WEB FOLDER uploaded/copied to that partner's server/machine and be paying that person/organization monthly or depend on the reach agreement Or is your idea different from this?
Re: I Need To Ask This (as A Computer Engineer) by Kobojunkie: 4:18am On Oct 16, 2007
Basically yes. What Server Technology do you want to use for your website?? Windows IIS?? Apache?? UNIX
Re: I Need To Ask This (as A Computer Engineer) by lordrayden(m): 12:34am On Oct 22, 2007
the cheapest optin BROS is to consider one of the numerous 9ja hosting services at your disposal .for as low as 4,500
you can get your site uploaded and hosted for 12 months without worry and no hassle. if you like i can recomend a few that work wonders
Re: I Need To Ask This (as A Computer Engineer) by kemiluv(f): 3:36pm On Oct 22, 2007
@lordrayden

ps recommend Nija hosting services. I need a reliable one.

(1) (Reply)

Looking For People To Help Run A Website / Help! Backup A Mysql Database Using Php / Web Design Question

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.