Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,593 members, 7,878,707 topics. Date: Wednesday, 03 July 2024 at 03:24 AM

When South West Cocoa Was Developing Nigeria In The 40s And 50s . Nobody Called - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / When South West Cocoa Was Developing Nigeria In The 40s And 50s . Nobody Called (5494 Views)

Purposeful Leadership Is The Key To Developing Nigeria / See How Ahmadu Bello Greeted Queen Elizabeth On Her Visit 2 Nigeria In 1956(pic / Why The Celebration of speaker position When South Has Gained (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

When South West Cocoa Was Developing Nigeria In The 40s And 50s . Nobody Called by oduasolja: 5:59pm On Feb 02, 2012
us parasites. And you never called yourselves parasites.

even till today cocoa earns this country up to a billion dollars a year.

and yet some fools want to call us parasites.

well Bleep u.

1 Like

Re: When South West Cocoa Was Developing Nigeria In The 40s And 50s . Nobody Called by Beaf: 6:02pm On Feb 02, 2012
At that time, rubber and oil palm were also developing Nigeria; along with cotton and groundnuts.
And guess what? Then the derivation was 50%, not 13% as it is today. So, who is getting cheated?

The simple solution to the problem is to call for true federalism.
Under true federalism, the disgraceful monthly trips to Abuja will cease in place of real productivity. I am quite sure the oil producing states would not mind bankrolling a fixed calendar and its modalities for fiscal Independence for all federating units.
Re: When South West Cocoa Was Developing Nigeria In The 40s And 50s . Nobody Called by Nigerd(m): 6:06pm On Feb 02, 2012
When Money from Cocoa and Rubber from Mid-western State, BENDEL (EDO-DELTA) was used to Develop Lagos and Oyo State, Tell POSTER, What were u thinking then and NOW OIL, What will u b thinking,
Re: When South West Cocoa Was Developing Nigeria In The 40s And 50s . Nobody Called by aljharem(m): 6:12pm On Feb 02, 2012
Niger_d:

When Money from Cocoa and Rubber from Mid-western State, BENDEL (EDO-DELTA) was used to Develop Lagos and Oyo State, Tell POSTER, What were u thinking then and NOW OIL, What will u b thinking,

1. Mid-west was the western Nigeria and people did not view it as mid-west yoruba back then untill Nnamdi split the west

2. Rubber and cocoa were grown in Ondo and some in bendel

3. Welfare program was in the western Nigeria beck then which was used to educate everyone regardless of of ethnicity ask any sensible mid-westerner.

4. the progress of the western Nigeria back then is still felt in Nigeria today from you first television station your first skyscraper in africa

get your facts right
Re: When South West Cocoa Was Developing Nigeria In The 40s And 50s . Nobody Called by aljharem(m): 6:22pm On Feb 02, 2012
mr niger d

do you want me to show Noticable Ijaw leaders today that praise awolowo for the free education or not ?
Re: When South West Cocoa Was Developing Nigeria In The 40s And 50s . Nobody Called by Beaf: 6:25pm On Feb 02, 2012
alj harem:

1. Mid-west was the western Nigeria and people did not view it as mid-west yoruba back then untill Nnamdi split the west

2. Rubber and cocoa were grown in Ondo and some in bendel

3. Welfare program was in the western Nigeria beck then which was used to educate everyone regardless of of ethnicity ask any sensible mid-westerner.

4. the progress of the western Nigeria back then is still felt in Nigeria today from you first television station your first skyscraper in africa

get your facts right

With all this "loveliness," why do you think the old Bendel is tilting more to the SE as natural allies?
Re: When South West Cocoa Was Developing Nigeria In The 40s And 50s . Nobody Called by sheyguy: 6:40pm On Feb 02, 2012
Beaf:

With all this "loveliness," why do you think the old Bendel is tilting more to the SE as natural allies?
the above önly happens in Nl and in the heads of Igbo politicians who want to impress Gej for favour. The new massob leader can bear me witness.
Re: When South West Cocoa Was Developing Nigeria In The 40s And 50s . Nobody Called by aljharem(m): 6:55pm On Feb 02, 2012
Beaf:

good !!!!, it makes things a lot better.

You forgot to add middle belt to it as well. MB/SS/SE
Re: When South West Cocoa Was Developing Nigeria In The 40s And 50s . Nobody Called by aljharem(m): 6:56pm On Feb 02, 2012
sheyguy:

the above önly happens in Nl and in the heads of Igbo politicians who want to impress Gej for favour. The new massob leader can bear me witness.

whether it happens real life or NL, All I just want now is for him to tell GEJ to split the country
Re: When South West Cocoa Was Developing Nigeria In The 40s And 50s . Nobody Called by Beaf: 6:58pm On Feb 02, 2012
sheyguy:

No history abot tin this time? shocked

Really? So what if I am not Igbo? And that is the same as maybe 80-90% of Delta state peeps that post here.
Maybe to you Oshiomole too is Igbo, even though he effortlessly swings into the SE/SS common position (eg fuel subsidy) when called upon.

There is a level of arrogance we find offputting; anyway, you wen de take [b]tin [/b]soak garri no go understand, na coded talk be dat.
Re: When South West Cocoa Was Developing Nigeria In The 40s And 50s . Nobody Called by oduasolja: 7:01pm On Feb 02, 2012
Beaf:

look at this dummy. last time i checked ACN was governor in edo state and oshiomole was tilting to west.

what the Bleep are u talkin about. i dont recall apga having any strong hold outside the south east.
Re: When South West Cocoa Was Developing Nigeria In The 40s And 50s . Nobody Called by aljharem(m): 7:03pm On Feb 02, 2012
oduasolja:

look at this dummy. last time i checked ACN was governor in edo state and oshiomole was tilting to west.

what the bleep are u talkin about. i dont recall apga having any strong hold outside the south east.

don't start this mid-west fight with this igbo people. the best you can do is agree with them
Re: When South West Cocoa Was Developing Nigeria In The 40s And 50s . Nobody Called by igbo2011(m): 7:16pm On Feb 02, 2012
We need to turn the cocoa into chocolate, we need to turn rubber into tires. We cannot be a raw material supplier forever. We need to create finished goods nad export them.
Re: When South West Cocoa Was Developing Nigeria In The 40s And 50s . Nobody Called by sheyguy: 7:21pm On Feb 02, 2012
Beaf:

No history abot tin this time? shocked

Really? So what if I am not Igbo? And that is the same as maybe 80-90% of Delta state peeps that post here.
Maybe to you Oshiomole too is Igbo, even though he effortlessly swings into the SE/SS common position (eg fuel subsidy) when called upon.

There is a level of arrogance we find offputting; anyway, you wen de take [b]tin [/b]soak garri no go understand, na coded talk be dat.
Oga beaf we are talking SW cocoa here and not tin even though the tin was real. Oga beaf, by calling others 'parasites' dont u realize u r call ur forefathers and past heroes the same?
Re: When South West Cocoa Was Developing Nigeria In The 40s And 50s . Nobody Called by emmke(m): 7:32pm On Feb 02, 2012
once upon a time as well, tin from my state was one of the major source of income in this country.
Re: When South West Cocoa Was Developing Nigeria In The 40s And 50s . Nobody Called by sheyguy: 7:41pm On Feb 02, 2012
emmke:

once upon a time as well, tin from my state was one of the major source of income in this country.
pls tell Oga Beaf oh, the guy has been trying to rewrite history by claiming that tin was never a major source of income for Nigeria.
I have never heard any Berom or plateau person complain about marginalisation or resort to millitancy or extort foreign companies or even demand employment from companies that minned the tin.
Re: When South West Cocoa Was Developing Nigeria In The 40s And 50s . Nobody Called by aljharem(m): 7:50pm On Feb 02, 2012
emmke:

O'boy yi hakuri na, Beaf and his other bigots has told us to occupy our resource but we have finished our resources to send him to school undecided
Re: When South West Cocoa Was Developing Nigeria In The 40s And 50s . Nobody Called by biachwest: 7:52pm On Feb 02, 2012
All this Northerner's are all in defence.The judgement should be from Independence.(Nothing more nothing less) The colonial masters was in charge before independence,more ever there was evidence that the then dividend was above 50% percent in favour of the north.
True federalism will guarantee  economic growth throughout the nation.why are the nother states too worried about true federalism?.They have been in charge for yrs and when ever anyone proposes for this system he/she ended up in prison.
The world is hungry, theycan supply foods to the rest of Nigerians and the world in general.
Re: When South West Cocoa Was Developing Nigeria In The 40s And 50s . Nobody Called by aljharem(m): 7:56pm On Feb 02, 2012
biachwest:

All this Northerner's are all in defence.The judgement should be from Independence.(Nothing more nothing less) The colonial masters was in charge before independence,more ever there was evidence that the then dividend was above 50% percent in favour of the north.
True federalism will guarantee  economic growth throughout the nation.why are the nother states too worried about true federalism?.They have been in charge for yrs and when ever anyone proposes for this system he/she ended up in prison.
The world is hungry, theycan supply foods to the rest of Nigerians and the world in general.

1. North never wanted to be part of this union

2. Pleeeeeaaassseee beg Beaf to tell GEJ to do true federalism. You are right it is the way forward

No part of the country has ever begged anyone and we do not intend to start today

Thank you, we want true federalism where everyone occupy their resources. angry
Re: When South West Cocoa Was Developing Nigeria In The 40s And 50s . Nobody Called by emmke(m): 8:25pm On Feb 02, 2012
@biachwest, who is defending what? Personally, am in support of true federalism or even disintegration. Wallahi i no fear. Yeah, we might not be as rich as the niger deltans, but am pretty sure we'd just be fine. Contrary to popular views in the south, non southerners, at least the MB, arent scared of disintegration.
Re: When South West Cocoa Was Developing Nigeria In The 40s And 50s . Nobody Called by ektbear: 8:30pm On Feb 02, 2012
Given that Ondo State is the largest oil-producing state outside of the SS, on what basis can the SW zone be called parasitic?

Not to mention by far the 2nd largest economy in Nigeria.

I have no problems splitting the country apart. Yorubaland can stand on its own.
Re: When South West Cocoa Was Developing Nigeria In The 40s And 50s . Nobody Called by nduchucks: 8:32pm On Feb 02, 2012
Beaf:

At that time, rubber and oil palm were also developing Nigeria; along with cotton and groundnuts.
And guess what? Then the derivation was 50%, not 13% as it is today. So, who is getting cheated?

Under true federalism, the disgraceful monthly trips to Abuja will cease in place of real productivity. I am quite sure the oil producing states would not mind bankrolling a fixed calendar and its modalities for fiscal Independence for all federating units.

Please provide some evidence that your 50% derivation is accurate otherwise we'll have to assume that you made the number up, if so, that would be dishonest.

BTW, I support 100% resource control relative to all inland resources including oil. Offshore is a different story.
Re: When South West Cocoa Was Developing Nigeria In The 40s And 50s . Nobody Called by seenoevil1: 8:35pm On Feb 02, 2012
emmke:

As far as i know MAYBE tin was one of the major source of income in your region back then but tin was NEVER a major source of income for Nigeria as a country  . You can do you research online to find out more . Before Crude oil was found Nigeria's economy was an agrarian one , Exportation of Cotton while the Old eastern region exported Palm oil , and rubber . Cocoa was from the west and Ground nut and back then the revenue was shared 50% .

However it must be said that cocoa NEVER kept Nigeria's economy up alone and can NEVER be compared to products such as Palm Oil and Rubber not to talk of Crude oil . In the world right now Malaysia and Indonesia have better economies than that of most western countries and the major source of income of both nations are rubber and palm oil . Cocoa alone CANNOT sustain one quarter of Nigeria .
Re: When South West Cocoa Was Developing Nigeria In The 40s And 50s . Nobody Called by ektbear: 8:37pm On Feb 02, 2012
see*noevil:

However it must be said that cocoa NEVER kept Nigeria's economy up alone and can NEVER be compared to products such as Palm Oil and Rubber not to talk of Crude oil .

Cocoa was far more economically relevant than palm oil and rubber.
Re: When South West Cocoa Was Developing Nigeria In The 40s And 50s . Nobody Called by seenoevil1: 8:38pm On Feb 02, 2012
COCOA was NEVER far more relevant than and it STILL isn't relevant than palm oil and rubber TODAY .
Re: When South West Cocoa Was Developing Nigeria In The 40s And 50s . Nobody Called by ektbear: 8:43pm On Feb 02, 2012
Even today, cocoa likely has a higher share of GDP than palm oil and rubber.

Certainly it did back in the 50s and 60s.

Perhaps I'll need to go back to the library and grab this book of economic data from the 60s, scan and post its pages.

In terms of economic value, cocoa was by far king.

See this thread: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-688547.32.html
Re: When South West Cocoa Was Developing Nigeria In The 40s And 50s . Nobody Called by NegroNtns(m): 8:50pm On Feb 02, 2012

. . .who is the mumu that posted this roundabout talk. . . cyclic grammar about theories that has no root on the ground! shyyt!!
Re: When South West Cocoa Was Developing Nigeria In The 40s And 50s . Nobody Called by emmke(m): 8:53pm On Feb 02, 2012
see*noevil:

As far as i know MAYBE tin was one of the major source of income in your region back then but tin was NEVER a major source of income for Nigeria as a country  . You can do you research online to find out more . Before Crude oil was found Nigeria's economy was an agrarian one , Exportation of Cotton while the Old eastern region exported Palm oil , and rubber . Cocoa was from the west and Ground nut and back then the revenue was shared 50% .

However it must be said that cocoa NEVER kept Nigeria's economy up alone and can NEVER be compared to products such as Palm Oil and Rubber not to talk of Crude oil . In the world right now Malaysia and Indonesia have better economies than that of most western countries and the major source of income of both nations are rubber and palm oil . Cocoa alone CANNOT sustain one quarter of Nigeria .

no time, no strength to argue. when are you gonna divide the country so that you can keep all the oil for yourself. I'd personally help you.
Re: When South West Cocoa Was Developing Nigeria In The 40s And 50s . Nobody Called by ektbear: 8:55pm On Feb 02, 2012
There are two books I expect anyone who is commenting about Nigeria's economy from the 50s and 60s to have read or glanced at.

The first is Economic survey of Nigeria 1959 and the second is Economic Survey of Nigeria, 1960-1975.

Tons and tons of tables about how much each region actually contributed economically.

When I see people implying that the various agricultural products of Nigeria were all somehow equally important, that Nigeria's early money came "equally" or approximately equally from cocoa, grountnut, and palm oil, it tells me that they are speculating rather than speaking from known facts.

One of these crops contributed far more to revenue than the other two.

One region in Nigeria (Western) was literally +50% as wealthy (in a per capita sense) than the other two (https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-699581.64.html#msg8641378).

Even today, the SW is the second wealthiest zone in the country.

So like I said, I have absolutely no opposition to splitting the country apart. We can stand on our own, and have done so before.
Re: When South West Cocoa Was Developing Nigeria In The 40s And 50s . Nobody Called by seenoevil1: 8:58pm On Feb 02, 2012
emmke:

no time, no strength to argue. when are you gonna divide the country so that you can keep all the oil for yourself. I'd personally help you.

when the aboki's are done annihilating you jos folks in a genocide , then we would have drawn the sympathy of the UN and then we would divide Nigeria .
Re: When South West Cocoa Was Developing Nigeria In The 40s And 50s . Nobody Called by jason123: 8:59pm On Feb 02, 2012
Beaf:

This is only in your imagination except from probably anioma . . . .
Re: When South West Cocoa Was Developing Nigeria In The 40s And 50s . Nobody Called by emmke(m): 9:02pm On Feb 02, 2012
see*noevil:

when the aboki's are done annihilating you jos folks in a genocide , then we would have drawn the sympathy of the UN and then we would divide Nigeria .
ignoramus. That means u will never keep your oil. grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Russia Set To Send 10,000 Troops To Nigeria (BREAKING) / Leaked!! Buhari’s To Undergo Six Months Chemotherapy Treatment In Uk? / Why Do US Soldiers Draw Tattoos But Nigerian Soldiers Don't

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.