Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,180,400 members, 7,910,991 topics. Date: Sunday, 04 August 2024 at 10:10 PM

He Got A Better Place: - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / He Got A Better Place: (1132 Views)

Poland Or Czech Rep. Which Country Is The Better Place To Go / Houston Vs Corpus Christi, Which Is A Better Place To Live? / Brazil Vs Nigeria: Where Is A Better Place To Live? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

He Got A Better Place: by drnoel: 3:28pm On Feb 04, 2012
Hello guys I just came across this story I would like to share.

A middle aged woman who flew economy class on a TAM Airlines flight going somewhere 2 the west kept on disturbing the cabin crew personal to change her sit for her. AS she was asked for the reason she wanted her sit changed she couldn't give a factual reason. The cabin crew personal tried 2 make the journey more comfortable 4 her by giving her extra blankets, and also extra wine an all but all these did nothing to make the woman change her mind. She kept on insisting her seat be changed. The woman made so much problems that the captain had 2 be involved in the whole thing only 4 them 2 find out the real reason 4 the woman's discomfort was cos the person seating next 2 her was a black guy. The lady also later insisted that the guy smells and she find can't and will not sit there anymore. The captain willing 2 please the middle aged lady asked the cabin crew 2 confirm if there where any empty seats still available. They found out the seats available where only in the first class. The captain knowing it will be a scandal if he asks the woman 2 move over 2 the first class after all the problem she had caused, quietly told the embarrassed black guy. Please let us upgrade u 2 first class, we have found a free sit there 4 u. The black guy, the captain of the flight and the cabin crews all got a standing ovation for that act and the way they comported themselves.

Its just a sad thing that in 2012 racism still exists. Do u guys have any such flight stories please share here.
Re: He Got A Better Place: by Vicjustice: 7:41pm On Feb 04, 2012
drnoel:

Hello guys I just came across this story I would like to share.

A middle aged woman who flew economy class on a TAM Airlines flight going somewhere 2 the west kept on disturbing the cabin crew personal to change her sit for her. AS she was asked for the reason she wanted her sit changed she couldn't give a factual reason. The cabin crew personal tried 2 make the journey more comfortable 4 her by giving her extra blankets, and also extra wine an all but all these did nothing to make the woman change her mind. She kept on insisting her seat be changed. The woman made so much problems that the captain had 2 be involved in the whole thing only 4 them 2 find out the real reason 4 the woman's discomfort was cos the person seating next 2 her was a black guy. The lady also later insisted that the guy smells and she find can't and will not sit there anymore. The captain willing 2 please the middle aged lady asked the cabin crew 2 confirm if there where any empty seats still available. They found out the seats available where only in the first class. The captain knowing it will be a scandal if he asks the woman 2 move over 2 the first class after all the problem she had caused, quietly told the embarrassed black guy. Please let us upgrade u 2 first class, we have found a free sit there 4 u. The black guy, the captain of the flight and the cabin crews all got a standing ovation for that act and the way they comported themselves.

Its just a sad thing that in 2012 racism still exists. Do u guys have any such flight stories please share here.
   Well, no matter the year, racial disgust would never change. I remember witnessing a woman who refused to sit with a black man in an inter-city bus in Greece, and i've seen many others who refused to stay next to black people in regular commuter buses.
   Now, i don't know if all of these white people are really "racists": now, assuming you were a white (non racist) person, and you were in a bus on a journey that took 3 hours, and you sat with a black guy who talked very loud on phone, and yet had body odour, and you managed to endure that for 3 long hours, how would you feel to sit next to another black person next time?
   Well, as regretful as this may seem, let's not ignore the fact that there are lots of black (African) people who never used deodorant before. This is the bitter truth
Re: He Got A Better Place: by drnoel: 12:16am On Feb 05, 2012
Vicjustice:

Well, no matter the year, racial disgust would never change. I remember witnessing a woman who refused to sit with a black man in an inter-city bus in Greece, and i've seen many others who refused to stay next to black people in regular commuter buses.
   Now, i don't know if all of these white people are really "racists": now, assuming you're a white (non racist) person, and you're in a bus on a journey that took 3 hours, and you sat with a black guy who talked very loud on phone, and yet had body odour, and you manage to endure that for 3 long hours, how would you feel to sit next to another black person next time?
   Well, as regretful as this may seem, let's not ignore the fact that there are lots of black (African) people who never used deodorant before. This is the bitter truth

They too smell, if u've gone close 2 one b4 u'll know. Thats why they almost finish a bottle of perfume b4 they leave their house. The main problem is not who smells or who doesn't, the main problem is the generalizing of a whole race. That one kills me
Re: He Got A Better Place: by MRBrownJ: 12:28am On Feb 05, 2012
@OP
as much as this story seem to be real, i have some doubts about it. . . . . . . . .simply because TAM is a Brazilian airline and here in Brasil, racism is against the law and you can go to jail for that (extreme cases). so if that had happened in Brasil, this lady was breaking the LAW, let alone being an [b]a[/b]ss.

@Vicjustice
you are right about that but shouldnt that person FIRST confirm that the guy smells before making such request? i would surely get offended if someone qualifies me as smelly, simply because some black guys have never worn deodorant/anti perspirant in their lives.
Re: He Got A Better Place: by Vicjustice: 9:58am On Feb 05, 2012
MRBrownJ:

@Vicjustice
you are right about that but shouldnt that person FIRST confirm that the guy smells before making such request? i would surely get offended if someone qualifies me as smelly, simply because some black guys have never worn deodorant/anti perspirant in their lives.
That's a point

drnoel:

They too smell, if u've gone close 2 one b4 u'll know.  Thats why they almost finish a bottle of perfume b4 they leave their house. The main problem is not who smells or who doesn't, the main problem is the generalizing of a whole race. That one kills me 
   At least, they make efforts to control the smell by "emptying a bottle of perfume before they leave their house"
Re: He Got A Better Place: by drnoel: 12:40pm On Feb 05, 2012
MRBrownJ:

@OP
as much as this story seem to be real, i have some doubts about it. . . . . . . . .simply because TAM is a Brazilian airline and here in Brasil, racism is against the law and you can go to jail for that (extreme cases). so if that had happened in Brasil, this lady was breaking the LAW, let alone being an a[/b]ss.

@Vicjustice
you are right about that but shouldnt that person FIRST confirm that the guy smells before making such request? [b]i would surely get offended if someone qualifies me as smelly, simply because some black guys have never worn deodorant/anti perspirant in their lives

The story is real ma guy. It happened and I only heard the formatted version.
Yes its just irritating when they generalize.
Re: He Got A Better Place: by drnoel: 11:53am On Feb 11, 2012
^^^^^^

(1) (Reply)

Ten Amazing Things Many Don’t Know About Africa!!! / TB Joshua's Prophecy Cause 600 Foreigners To Cancel Flights / Ghana’s $120 Residency Fee For Nigerians Unacceptable, Says Gaya

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.