Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,223 members, 7,880,843 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 07:57 AM

Does Vw Passat Comes With Only 1 Key? - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Does Vw Passat Comes With Only 1 Key? (3054 Views)

Fhemmmy-Daddy's BIG DAY - 2007 Toyota Camry **Hybrid & Leather**Only 1.99M SOLDD / **Mom's Birthday**Deal Of The DAY - 2003 Toyota Highlander MINT*ONLY 1.7M SOLLDD / Pre-ordered From Fhemmmy 1999 VW Passat LEATHER By Jites Of NL -**DELIVEREDDD** (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Vw Passat Comes With Only 1 Key? by Tman007: 7:59pm On Feb 04, 2012
Hi Forumites,

Can someone kindly confirm if its true that VW passat only comes with one key.

I went to check one of d cars and d dealer showed me d key (its like a small box different from normal keys) which was inserted into a small compartment on d dash board.
Re: Does Vw Passat Comes With Only 1 Key? by wezo01(m): 8:08pm On Feb 04, 2012
@Tman007,
Of course[b] PASSAT DON'T ONLY COME WITH ONE KEY[/b] . Well, i don't know what year of Passat you talking about but i presently have a thread here for sale of a 2006 VW PASSAT 2.0T with 2 keys. See the link : https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-790254.0.html See the pix below, i'm sure this is the key you are describing. Cheers

Re: Does Vw Passat Comes With Only 1 Key? by Middleman: 8:31pm On Feb 04, 2012
Tman007:

Hi Forumites,

I went to check one of d cars and d dealer showed me d key (its like a small box different from normal keys) which was inserted into a small compartment on d dash board.

No car comes with only one key. One key on a tokunbo car usually entails the car was stolen from abroad, especially since the dealer had to lie.

Get the vin and check it out
Re: Does Vw Passat Comes With Only 1 Key? by Tman007: 8:33pm On Feb 04, 2012
Thanks to you Wezo01
Re: Does Vw Passat Comes With Only 1 Key? by Tman007: 8:41pm On Feb 04, 2012
Thanks middleman.
Re: Does Vw Passat Comes With Only 1 Key? by KunleA2(m): 10:43pm On Feb 04, 2012
Middleman:

No car comes with only one key. One key on a tokunbo car usually entails the car was stolen from abroad, especially since the dealer had to lie.

With all due respect, you are very misinformed and misguided. I will hate to say what is really on my mind. Its obvious that you have no clue what you are talking about. How many cars have you bought from abroad? How long have you lived there or even visit?

Tman007:

Hi Forumites,

I went to check one of d cars and d dealer showed me d key (its like a small box different from normal keys)  which was inserted into a small compartment on d dash board.

[b]Can a Tokunbo car have 1 key? Yes and No.

Actually when you buy a car brand new, it has 2 keys. sometimes 3 (2 master and 1 valet key). Here in the US, about 70% of cars are either LEASED or bought with Bank loan or Hire purchase like you call it in Nigeria.

What the bank usually do is that they will require the person taking the loan or leasing the car to deposit 1 key with the bank. in case the person did not pay as agreed, they have 1 key to go and drive the car back. it is called REPOSSESSION.

Especially with newer key types that has computer chip inside. They are impossible to duplicate without physically having the car present.

Typical car loan/lease in the US is about 4 years average. If the person successfully pay the loan off, the bank will send the documents and key to him/her.

However, in case of a lease, the person will return the car to a dealer (already agreed by the bank) and he go on his way. The car will the be taken to auction for sale. What usually happen in most cases is that it takes a long time for the other original key to be retrieved.

Remember, its about 4 years ago. The key is already at headquarters (or wherever they keep it). Most cars will have been sold at the auction or to another dealer before they can find the other key. That is how most cars end up with 1 key. Especially newer ones. Very small fraction of these vehicles have their duplicate keys re-uniting with them.

What the importer should have done is make another key. Or you can get another one made. Newer programmable keys might cost about N15k -N25k depending on the make/model.

You can buy the car if you like it but just make another key or negotiate it with the deal.

Good luck

[/b]
Re: Does Vw Passat Comes With Only 1 Key? by Nobody: 12:13am On Feb 05, 2012
The Volkswagen Passat from 1996 onwards are supplied with three keys - two master keys, and one service / valet key.
Re: Does Vw Passat Comes With Only 1 Key? by Fhemmmy: 1:46am On Feb 05, 2012
Middleman:

Why do people always come up with this kinda stuff with frank face?
And you mean a stolen ride dont come with even more than 2 keys?

Anyhow, a used ride from America or anywhere else in the world was once used by someone and what happened if the original owner already lost one of even 2 of the keys and only have left?
What if the ride was a repo and sold at an auction, or do you think an owner of a repo ride will go and give back the extra keys to the repo man?

Dont let us be quick to arrive at such a conclusion.

@ The OP . . . Yes, The ride could come with only one key but it is either the extra keys were lost or due to some other reasons, but no ride originally comes with only one key
Re: Does Vw Passat Comes With Only 1 Key? by Middleman: 6:48am On Feb 05, 2012
Thanks for enlightening us, we learn here each day. I found it weird that a dealer will tell a potential customer that a particular car comes with only one key which means that, that was how it came from factory not that is how he bought it. Do you see the difference in the statement? And I responded accordingly. Also I used the word "usually entails" since the dealer lied, not "it's definitely stolen" so pls next time lets hear ur opinion you don't need to include side comments. Thanks
Re: Does Vw Passat Comes With Only 1 Key? by Nobody: 6:48am On Feb 05, 2012
I have shipped cars many times to Nigeria with just one key. I currently have four cars on the way to Lagos, 2005 Volkswagen Passat, 2004 Volkswagen Passat, 2001 Toyota Avalon XLS, and 2003 Toyota Prius (Navigation System). All of them come with one key each and the 2005 Passt comes with three keys. I did not steal any of them as the first respondent said. I bought them from auction and three of the cars happen to have one key each.

People need to desist from saying what they don't know at all. Someone who has not been out of Nigeria saying when cars comes with one key, that means the car was stolen, then I regard that as irresponsible.

1 Like

Re: Does Vw Passat Comes With Only 1 Key? by Middleman: 6:58am On Feb 05, 2012
Not sure if my english is clear enough

did u see where the dealer said VW Passat comes with only one key?

I responded to that statement because it raises a red flag, i said what I felt might be a reason why the dealer lied and suggested that the buyer gets a VIN check. We are all entitled to our opinions.
Re: Does Vw Passat Comes With Only 1 Key? by Nobody: 7:06am On Feb 05, 2012
I was not there, but I think the dealer was trying to say the car came with just one key when he purchased the vehicle from the auction. No dealer will tell a prospective buyer cars come with one key. The dealer was trying to say the car came with just a key at the time of the purchase.
Re: Does Vw Passat Comes With Only 1 Key? by Middleman: 7:14am On Feb 05, 2012
Well, the op's question was "can someone kindly confirm if its true that the vw passat only comes with one key"

My response was based on that. Not what I felt the dealer meant, (I think that was a pretty straight forward and clear statement/ question)

Thank you all for contributing, the op will be much more enlightened, me too I know more now.
Re: Does Vw Passat Comes With Only 1 Key? by Nobody: 7:17am On Feb 05, 2012
We are all here to learn something.
Re: Does Vw Passat Comes With Only 1 Key? by sheu01: 3:43pm On Mar 20, 2020
I need experience on this issue, the 2006 Toyota corolla I just bought from USA have single key and two remote but I don't know if d key is Master or Valet key, my reason is that the key couldn't open d door from driver side, could not open d trunk but can open d door from passenger side. If I used d key from passenger side alarm will blow continuously which I used one of d remote to stop it. Out of d two remote, one can start d car from far.
I'm presently using remote to open d door from driver side and if remote spoil what do u think will b solution or any advise on this. Pls gurus in the house over to u.

(1) (Reply)

2004 Toyota Highlander For Sale At 2.5 Million Call 08142794828, 08142794785 / 2014 Mercedes Benz E350 / ############### CLEAN SHARP 2011 LEXUS RX 350...PRICE CALL

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.