Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,960 members, 7,876,652 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 11:22 PM

Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? - Travel (167) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (819254 Views)

Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (164) (165) (166) (167) (168) (169) (170) ... (213) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 1:55pm On Sep 22, 2016
dustydee:

Rates have reduced since they had issues with CBN.
try dttcl.com or ping-express.com

Thanks very much, i've modified the OP to include those.
Can you please do the mini survey. Would greatly appreciate grin
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 1:56pm On Sep 22, 2016
dustydee:

Rates have reduced since they had issues with CBN.
try dttcl.com or ping-express.com

That is true, they are more like western union now
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 2:00pm On Sep 22, 2016
spikesC:
Hello everyone, please I need your help with some information.

1. How do you and most people you know send money to Nigeria (if online, what's the website)
2. What is the rate at this time or last time you sent money
3. Considering below data, what rate do you think should be ideal

--official rate: 409
--black market rate: 550
--western union: 430
--worldremit, azimo: 437
--ping-express: 444
--dttcl: 441

The last time I sent was 4 days ago through a friend and I was given 530.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 2:18pm On Sep 22, 2016
justwise:

The last time I sent was 4 days ago through a friend and I was given 530.

I heard local shops have very high rates. Somewhere around your figure

Will look into it. Thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 2:25pm On Sep 22, 2016
spikesC:

I heard local shops have very high rates. Somewhere around your figure

Will look into it. Thanks

Yes that is right, a friend in London uses local shop and got 550.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by pato231(m): 5:51am On Sep 23, 2016
spikesC:

Thanks very much, i've modified the OP to include those.
Can you please do the mini survey. Would greatly appreciate grin
@spikesC, how are you doing. Go to the African shop on the high street, (4 continent), her rate is usually Nigerian black market rate or just a tiny fraction less.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by mrcodebreaker: 11:15am On Sep 25, 2016
Please how can I send Pounds from UK account to fund my Nigerian Dollar Dorm Account?

Who converts it to dollars? The Bank, wire transfers etc?

how can I go about this? Please advise
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 4:32pm On Sep 25, 2016
mrcodebreaker:
Please how can I send Pounds from UK account to fund my Nigerian Dollar Dorm Account?

Who converts it to dollars? The Bank, wire transfers etc?

how can I go about this? Please advise

If you use lloyds bank (the one am sure of), you can actually chose the sent currency and the bank will automatically convert your pounds to dollar

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 4:34pm On Sep 25, 2016
pato231:

@spikesC, how are you doing. Go to the African shop on the high street, (4 continent), her rate is usually Nigerian black market rate or just a tiny fraction less.

Been good. Thanks very much Pato.
Nevertheless, I wasn't asking because I wanted to send, but rather doing a small market survey for a business. We're looking at integrating money transfer services in an epayment system we're developing
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by lilreese: 3:50am On Sep 26, 2016
justwise:

Ok cool you can try Amazon job, they will be opening a brand new processing centre in Manchester next month and will be doing mass recruitment. Amazon job is pretty easy to get but staying is harder because the job is target oriented but you can do it if you are determined.

Their night shift pays about 8.35- £9.50 per hour for a start and £10 after 3 months. Day shift starts from £7.35 to £8.35 after 3 months.

Recruitment agencies like PMP and Transline are the only two agencies that recruit for them, you may also apply directly through Amazon

Amazing
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by lilreese: 3:50am On Sep 26, 2016
chilez:
Try Royal mail, Orridge, G4S for events stewards, Securigroup. These are veru flexible paet time jobs u can work with alongside ur studies easily.

Would apply.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by swaggprofessor(m): 9:19am On Sep 26, 2016
pls can I get admission into uk universities using my certificate alone cos I have applied for transcript twice in my school and they refused to send it or even give it to me. I don't know what to do now I am confused.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by worry359(m): 8:23am On Sep 27, 2016
swaggprofessor:
pls can I get admission into uk universities using my certificate alone cos I have applied for transcript twice in my school and they refused to send it or even[b] give it to me.[/b] I don't know what to do now I am confused.

Transcript is usually sent direct to the school that you are applying to, not given to you.
This is so that transcript is not altered.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by KayMagnum(m): 11:14am On Sep 27, 2016
Hi guys. Please i need your advice on this one. I was refused a tier 4 visa on the 1st September and the refusal reasons were ridiculous. I applied for an administrative review and I'm yet to hear anything. I got an email after enquiring about my case and i was told to wait for 28 working days.
This wait has been nothing but frustrating for me as school has resumed and i have a extension deadline of 7th October. That's before the 28 working days limit lapses.
I am hoping by sharing my case on here i can get advice as to what to do next. I'd appreciate all input.

I'm going to attach some documents for you to understand the case better.

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Bourne007(m): 11:54am On Sep 27, 2016
How many days now? Your Uni can also chase the Home Office for you but only after 28 days. So check with ur Uni.

To get more answers, best you post on https://www.nairaland.com/2575449/uk-student-visa-tier-4

[quote author=KayMagnum post=49711062]
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 3:17pm On Sep 27, 2016
KayMagnum:
Hi guys. Please i need your advice on this one. I was refused a tier 4 visa on the 1st September and the refusal reasons were ridiculous. I applied for an administrative review and I'm yet to hear anything. I got an email after enquiring about my case and i was told to wait for 28 working days.
This wait has been nothing but frustrating for me as school has resumed and i have a extension deadline of 7th October. That's before the 28 working days limit lapses.
I am hoping by sharing my case on here i can get advice as to what to do next. I'd appreciate all input.

I'm going to attach some documents for you to understand the case better.

When you applied, did you use priority?
Someone here got an admin review done within 2 weeks but i believe he initially used priority
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by KayMagnum(m): 5:55pm On Sep 29, 2016
@spikesC & bourne007 thank you for your contribution.

I got a reply from the home office today and the refusal decision has been overturned. I've submitted my passport at the ikeja vac and I'm hoping to get it back sometimes next week.

I'd just like to add that i have just confirmed from a document released by the office of the Independent Chief Inspector of Borders and Immigration that the limit to get a response for administrative reviews is actually 28 calendar days and not 28 working days like that man in the previous screen shot claimed.

The title of the document is :An inspection of the Administrative Review processes introduced following the 2014 Immigration Act, and it is available online.

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Bourne007(m): 8:55pm On Sep 29, 2016
Congrats mate .. How many days did it take?

It's 28 calendar days. These guys ehnn sometimes just do whatever they feel like. We even sabi the guidance pass them grin

KayMagnum:

I got a reply from the home office today and the refusal decision has been overturned. I've submitted my passport at the ikeja vac and I'm hoping to get it back sometimes next week.

I'd just like to add that i have just confirmed from a document released by the office of the Independent Chief Inspector of Borders and Immigration that the limit to get a response for administrative reviews is actually 28 calendar days and not 28 working days like that man in the previous screen shot claimed.

The title of the document is :An inspection of the Administrative Review processes introduced following the 2014 Immigration Act, and it is available online.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 6:19am On Sep 30, 2016
KayMagnum:

Congrats. Hope it will be out before your latest start date.

Bourne007:
It's 28 calendar days. These guys ehnn sometimes just do whatever they feel like. We even sabi the guidance pass them grin

This is so true. Even university international offices tell students not to ask for immigration advice directly from UKVI
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by KayMagnum(m): 7:19am On Oct 02, 2016
Bourne007:

It took 27 days.
Lol we sabi o. The ECO that refused me switched the amount i already paid for tuition with my outstanding balance in his calculations. He also used the exchange rate from his village in calculating my maintenance funds.
I mean, who does that!?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by folafabz: 9:01am On Oct 09, 2016
@KayMagnum, Have you collected your passport from Ikeja VAC. If yes. How many days did it take? I am hoping to submit tomorrow morning. School has given me till 14th October to enrol. Any tips for submitting tomorrow?
PS- my decision was overturned too.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by illusory: 8:11am On Oct 16, 2016
Please o, how are people sending money to and fro the uk right now. All the babas in the house, una help is needed o...
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by CallmeLucy(m): 6:17pm On Oct 16, 2016
I need to receive some funds from Nigeria but the rate is like #580/£ which is too expensive
illusory:
Please o, how are people sending money to and fro the uk right now. All the babas in the house, una help is needed o...
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nitta08(f): 1:20pm On Oct 20, 2016
Hi everyone. Please who knows anything about FutureFinance UK. I'm thinking of using them for my masters studies since the scholarships are not coming. I have an admission to study Pet & Env Tech at Coventry University.
Please I'll appreciate your advice and ideas on it...
Thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 2:05pm On Oct 20, 2016
Nitta08:
Hi everyone. Please who knows anything about FutureFinance UK. I'm thinking of using them for my masters studies since the scholarships are not coming. I have an admission to study Pet & Env Tech at Coventry University.
Thanks

I have a friend who was supposed to use them. He got a loan of £10k from them but couldn't use it because of how the process works.
Future Finance will need a confirmation of enrollment from your university before they will make the payment to your university.
The university will need you to show the full amount, as expected, with a bank statement before they will issue you a CAS.

Now, even if you got the CAS through another source of fund and applied for VISA. You have not enrolled.
Enrollment is when you register fully on the course. This university in question requires £3k for CAS and then a further £3.5k to enroll/register and start your studies. Therefore, he needs to make a full payment, from his pocket, of £6.5k before future finance will release the loan.
If future finance makes a payment of £10k to the university afterwards, the university will refund future finance the already paid sum and not to the student. Therefore, he could only borrow £3.5k from future finance, which wouldn't be of any benefit to him.

This might seem off point to your actual question, but you have to consider it before going through months of processing with both parties and end up getting disappointed. You need to talk to your university to see if there's a way they can work around the future finance requirement.

Finally, you'll need an OK credit rating and a guarantor (with a UK/EU passport)
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by claremont(m): 11:11pm On Oct 20, 2016
Nitta08:
Thanks

Avoid.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by fred4fred: 4:37pm On Oct 23, 2016
Hello, my ogas at the top. Abeg who knows where/who can convert Naira to Pounds in the UK. Please o it is Naira to Pounds. My naira cards are not working anymore. Abeg shapilly shapilly o Hunger won kill ur broda for here o
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 4:48pm On Oct 23, 2016
fred4fred:
Hello, my ogas at the top. Abeg who knows where/who can convert Naira to Pounds in the UK. Please o it is Naira to Pounds. My naira cards are not working anymore. Abeg shapilly shapilly o Hunger won kill ur broda for here o

Naira to pounds in the U.K.? You funny ooo

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by creamyworkz: 6:54pm On Oct 23, 2016
fred4fred:
Do you have the naira in cash or in your bank account. if its in your account you can always use money changers. bt if its in cash omo e go difficult o

(1) (2) (3) ... (164) (165) (166) (167) (168) (169) (170) ... (213) (Reply)

Securing Visa To France, Applying From Nigeria... / U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening / Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.