Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,155 members, 7,890,910 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 July 2024 at 12:15 AM

Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? - Travel (67) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (821146 Views)

Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (64) (65) (66) (67) (68) (69) (70) ... (213) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by 3sha4lyf: 4:31pm On Aug 04, 2014
For scholarship "lookers" lol, I thought this might be of interest to you.
Disclaimer!
I'm not affiliated with the sponsors. Just reposting a useful post.

=D
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ShegsA(m): 5:54pm On Aug 05, 2014
[quote author=ShegsA]But why is University of Bedfordshire so cheap? Another scholarship for international students where Masters students will pay £7000...

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Chiichii2010: 6:10pm On Aug 05, 2014
ShegsA: But why is University of Bedfordshire so cheap? Another scholarship for international students where Masters students will pay £7000...
Maybe they ve lost students n re trying to draw them back.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 6:12pm On Aug 05, 2014
ShegsA: But why is University of Bedfordshire so cheap? Another scholarship for international students where Masters students will pay £7000...

They are struggling to go up the ranking, under immigration investigation for visa fraud, suspended at the moment. Not a school i will recommend to anybody at the moment.

Their fees for undergraduate and Msc are still about £9500
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by classyjummy: 6:29pm On Aug 05, 2014
Please how can I get a good accomodation near Warwick university.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by DisGuy: 6:35pm On Aug 05, 2014
You will have to search online

or contact the school for list of approved agents/landlords

or Contact the Student Union for advice

@ my people

I dey hail oo
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ShegsA(m): 6:42pm On Aug 05, 2014
justwise:

They are struggling to go up the ranking, under immigration investigation for visa fraud, suspended at the moment. Not a school i will recommend to anybody at the moment.

Their fees for undergraduate and Msc are still about £9500

They've reduced the MSc fees for 2014/2015 academic session to £7000 if you pay before registration. Check my first post there is a screenshot on the mail I received from the school.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by worry359(m): 6:50pm On Aug 05, 2014
No visa here!
Home Office probes University of Bedfordshire as part of student visa abuse investigation

The University of Bedfordshire has been prevented from sponsoring new foreign students as investigations into the abuse of visas deepens.

Speaking in Parliament on Tuesday, Immigration Minister James Brokenshire confirmed that the Home Office has investigated the European subsidiary of Educational Testing Services– a firm which holds language tests for student visas.

Earlier this year BBC’s Panorama revealed systematic cheating at ETS’ UK test centres– with invigilators seen to be supplying, even reading out, answers to whole exam rooms and gangs of impostors being allowed to step into the exam candidates places to sit the test.

http://www.lutontoday.co.uk/news/politics/home-office-probes-university-of-bedfordshire-as-part-of-student-visa-abuse-investigation-1-6141715
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 6:54pm On Aug 05, 2014
ShegsA:

They've reduced the MSc fees for 2014/2015 academic session to £7000 if you pay before registration. Check my first post there is a screenshot on the mail I received from the school.

That is like admission summer sales!!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by worry359(m): 7:30pm On Aug 05, 2014
justwise:

They can offer admision for free!
If they know that they can't take any international students!
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ShegsA(m): 7:59pm On Aug 05, 2014
justwise:

Lmao! Admission Summer Sales? *rolls inside gutter*
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ShegsA(m): 8:01pm On Aug 05, 2014
worry359:

They can offer admision for free!
If they know that they can't take any international students!
grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Chiichii2010: 9:28pm On Aug 05, 2014
University resumes international student recruitment

Tue 5th August, 2014

The University of Bedfordshire has welcomed today’s decision by UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) to allow the University to resume recruiting international students.

The decision confirms that the University can continue to issue Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) letters to new international students. It follows a detailed audit by UKVI of the University’s procedures for the management and monitoring of international students.

Welcoming the decision Bill Rammell, the University of Bedfordshire’s Vice Chancellor, said:

“I was always confident that our procedures for monitoring international students were robust, and I’m pleased that UKVI’s thorough and detailed audit has confirmed this.

“We take our immigration compliance responsibilities extremely seriously. We cooperated with UKVI throughout the audit and I’m delighted that, following this decision, we can now resume issuing CAS letters to new international students.

“We recruit large numbers of international students because of our excellent student experience and graduate employability success. We can now provide more opportunities such as this.”

The University’s ability to issue CAS letters to international students was paused by the Home Office on 24 June 2014, when the Minister for Immigration and Security made a statement in Parliament regarding student visas. The Minister stated that the University would not sponsor new students pending the outcome of the UKVI investigation.

The University’s licence to recruit international students remained intact and was not suspended, and current international students were not affected in any way by the short pause in the University’s ability to issue new CAS letters.

The University of Bedfordshire was awarded the Queen’s Anniversary Prize for Higher and Further Education in 2013 – the highest form of national recognition for universities in the UK.

Bill Rammell added:

“Our courses are driven by world-leading research and are taught by some of the leading academics in their field. The University provides students of all backgrounds with high quality teaching, outstanding facilities, great support and an excellent experience.

“And 92% of Bedfordshire students find employment or are in further study soon after they gra
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 9:29pm On Aug 05, 2014
I heard that uni bed is quite a dodgy uni lipsrsealed
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Chiichii2010: 9:30pm On Aug 05, 2014
Chiichii2010: University resumes international student recruitment

Tue 5th August, 2014

The University of Bedfordshire has welcomed today’s decision by UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) to allow the University to resume recruiting international students.

The decision confirms that the University can continue to issue Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) letters to new international students. It follows a detailed audit by UKVI of the University’s procedures for the management and monitoring of international students.

Welcoming the decision Bill Rammell, the University of Bedfordshire’s Vice Chancellor, said:

“I was always confident that our procedures for monitoring international students were robust, and I’m pleased that UKVI’s thorough and detailed audit has confirmed this.

“We take our immigration compliance responsibilities extremely seriously. We cooperated with UKVI throughout the audit and I’m delighted that, following this decision, we can now resume issuing CAS letters to new international students.

“We recruit large numbers of international students because of our excellent student experience and graduate employability success. We can now provide more opportunities such as this.”

The University’s ability to issue CAS letters to international students was paused by the Home Office on 24 June 2014, when the Minister for Immigration and Security made a statement in Parliament regarding student visas. The Minister stated that the University would not sponsor new students pending the outcome of the UKVI investigation.

The University’s licence to recruit international students remained intact and was not suspended, and current international students were not affected in any way by the short pause in the University’s ability to issue new CAS letters.

The University of Bedfordshire was awarded the Queen’s Anniversary Prize for Higher and Further Education in 2013 – the highest form of national recognition for universities in the UK.

Bill Rammell added:

“Our courses are driven by world-leading research and are taught by some of the leading academics in their field. The University provides students of all backgrounds with high quality teaching, outstanding facilities, great support and an excellent experience.

“And 92% of Bedfordshire students find employment or are in further study soon after they gra
So 7000 pounds not dat bad at all
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 9:56pm On Aug 05, 2014
Chiichii2010: University resumes international student recruitment

Tue 5th August, 2014

Bill Rammell added:

This news is not in their website.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by tshegs19: 10:29am On Aug 06, 2014
Hello House, Please..i'd like to know if anyone attends University of Hertfordshire in here Or anyone with good Info about the Uni. I want to make few enquires.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ShegsA(m): 10:45am On Aug 06, 2014
adaobi123: I heard that uni bed is quite a dodgy uni lipsrsealed
I was told the same too. Applied to the school but good folks on this forum advised me to drop the school cos the ratings ain't alright + it isn't worth my time for a postgraduate degree. So I stopped in my tracks and reversed. grin
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 11:11am On Aug 06, 2014
adaobi123: I heard that uni bed is quite a dodgy uni lipsrsealed

ShegsA:
I was told the same too. Applied to the school but good folks on this forum advised me to drop the school cos the ratings ain't alright + it isn't worth my time for a postgraduate degree. So I stopped in my tracks and reversed. grin

Bad publicity did not help them and schools with high number of foreign students get looked down upon, More than 90% of students there are foreign students and a large number are Asians and Nigerians

Their facilities are good, building more facilities, 20mins away from London by train and situated at the heart of Luton.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 11:17am On Aug 06, 2014
tshegs19: Hello House, Please..i'd like to know if anyone attends University of Hertfordshire in here Or anyone with good Info about the Uni. I want to make few enquires.

Hertfordshire is a good university but the area is pretty crappy tbh.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 11:22am On Aug 06, 2014
justwise:

Bad publicity did not help them and schools with high number of foreign students get looked down upon, More than 90% of students there are foreign students and a large number are Asians and Nigerians

Their facilities are good, building more facilities, 20mins away from London by train and situated at the heart of Luton.

luton is Pakistani central lol.

But uni bed takes anyone as long as they get the money. The amount of people who got into Bedfordshire via clearing is quite a high number.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 11:29am On Aug 06, 2014
adaobi123:

luton is Pakistani central lol.

But uni bed takes anyone as long as they get the money. The amount of people who got into Bedfordshire via clearing is quite a high number.

lol..you home students use that school to claim student loan quicker. Its not really that they take anybody, the attraction is their low fees.

Luton is like cities like Bradford, Leicester and some part of Birmingham, they all have large number of Asians.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by skies007(f): 2:02pm On Aug 06, 2014
Good day narialanders. Anyone going to university of Glasgow this September.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by lepasharon(f): 3:59pm On Aug 06, 2014
justwise:

London met nko?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 4:02pm On Aug 06, 2014
lepasharon:

London met nko?

Same if not worst.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Olola15(m): 5:07pm On Aug 06, 2014
I just got my visa and am planning to come into Uk on Monday.Somebody mentioned to me that i have to get a return ticket. How thru is this as my plan is to get a one way ticket.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by 3sha4lyf: 5:31pm On Aug 06, 2014
Olola15: I just got my visa and am planning to come into Uk on Monday.Somebody mentioned to me that i have to get a return ticket. How thru is this as my plan is to get a one way ticket.
If going with arikair, get a return ticket or don't bother.

Other airlines may overlook it but sometimes first timers or ppl r usually asked for their return tickets at the point of entry and if you cannot produce it, den u'll return to Naija free of charge immediately, if u see what I mean.

Just for curiosity sake, pls why would u wanna buy a one-way ticket when it's as expensive as, if not more than, buying a return ticket?
You can just get a return ticket for return in, say, 1 year time so that by the next year, of u wanna travel, u use it or if you'll rather change the date to a later date, you pay change-of-date fee and use it.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Olola15(m): 7:39pm On Aug 06, 2014
3sha4lyf:
If going with arikair, get a return ticket or don't bother.
Other airlines may overlook it but sometimes first timers or ppl r usually asked for their return tickets at the point of entry and if you cannot produce it, den u'll return to Naija free of charge immediately, if u see what I mean.
Just for curiosity sake, pls why would u wanna buy a one-way ticket when it's as expensive as, if not more than, buying a return ticket?
You can just get a return ticket for return in, say, 1 year time so that by the next year, of u wanna travel, u use it or if you'll rather change the date to a later date, you pay change-of-date fee and use it.

thanks alot.now i get it.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by FutureDon(m): 7:32am On Aug 07, 2014
Olola15: I just got my visa and am planning to come into Uk on Monday.Somebody mentioned to me that i have to get a return ticket. How thru is this as my plan is to get a one way ticket.

If you are going on a student visa for a program with a duration of 12months and above, YOU DO NOT NEED A RETURN TICKET. I was fed the same bs during my time.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Olola15(m): 9:50am On Aug 07, 2014
FutureDon:
If you are going on a student visa for a program with a duration of 12months and above, YOU DO NOT NEED A RETURN TICKET. I was fed the same bs during my time.

thanks future don, my program duration is 11months.
With your explanation. I fully understand how it works now.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by 3sha4lyf: 10:41am On Aug 07, 2014
FutureDon:

The return ticket saga is one of cost vs necessity. Like I said, a return ticket in most cases is same price, if not cheaper than a one-way intercontinental ticket.

So if this is true, why buy a one way for 10 quids when you can get a return for approx. same and even if you don't return on the outbound date, you simply pay a very meagre fee (compared to the cost of a new ticket when ur ready to travel), revalidate the ticket when ur ready, and you're off. Most return tickets like that are flexible.
It's c/sense, it's not bs baby.

@ poster, what would you rather do? cheesy
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by FutureDon(m): 12:16pm On Aug 07, 2014
^^^^ Ok mate!

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (64) (65) (66) (67) (68) (69) (70) ... (213) (Reply)

U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening / Canadian Federal Skilled Worker Program-timelines Here / Securing Visa To France, Applying From Nigeria...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.