Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,702 members, 7,921,506 topics. Date: Thursday, 15 August 2024 at 07:33 AM

Anne Enright Wins The 2007 Man Booker Prize - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Anne Enright Wins The 2007 Man Booker Prize (1611 Views)

Chigozie Obioma's 'The Fishermen' Listed For 2015 Man Booker Prize / Alice Munro Wins The 2013 Nobel Prize For Literature / My Enright House (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Anne Enright Wins The 2007 Man Booker Prize by Orikinla(m): 1:30pm On Oct 17, 2007
Anne Enright Wins The 2007 Man Booker Prize

"I bring all of myself to a book," Anne Enright said.

Irish novelist, Anne Enright's "The Gathering" has won her the 2007 Man Booker Prize, the most prestigious literary prize for novels and made her fifty thousand pounds richer Tuesday night.

The choice of the winner is not a surprise to those who have read "The Gathering". But surprising to the so-called "bookies", and the "bettors" , who were voting for Ian McEwan's "On Chesil Beach" and Lloyd Jones's "Mister Pip".

I congratulate the worthy winner who is a seasoned novelist.

Anne Enright was born in Dublin in 1962.
She has published a collection of stories, "The Portable Virgin" (Secker and Warburg 1991), which won the Rooney Prize that year.

Her novels are "The Wig My Father Wore", (Jonathan Cape 1995), which was shortlisted for the Irish Times/Aer Lingus Irish Literature Prize; "What Are You Like?" (Jonathan Cape 2000), which won the Royal Society of Authors Encore Prize; "The Pleasure of Eliza Lynch" (Jonathan Cape 2002); and "The Gathering" (Jonathan Cape, 2007)

Uncollected short stories have appeared in The New Yorker, The Paris Review and Granta. She was the inaugural winner of The Davy Byrne Award for her short story "Honey".
Her other work includes a book of essays, "Making Babies: Stumbling into Motherhood" (London, Jonathan Cape, 2004).
She lives in Bray, Co Wicklow.

Re: Anne Enright Wins The 2007 Man Booker Prize by angelempy(f): 2:35pm On Nov 09, 2007
wow dats quite a nice track record.
its nice.
wish i could be better than her.
Re: Anne Enright Wins The 2007 Man Booker Prize by SMC(f): 8:57pm On Nov 09, 2007
angel_empy:

wish i could be better than her.

The important question is what are you doing about it?
Re: Anne Enright Wins The 2007 Man Booker Prize by Orikinla(m): 11:52am On Nov 14, 2007
Welcome back SMC.

Did you spend the vacation in Nigeria?

I want you to read my blog, Kisses & Roses.

Just type the name on Google and search.
It is the first on the list.
Re: Anne Enright Wins The 2007 Man Booker Prize by angelempy(f): 12:19pm On Nov 14, 2007
@SMC
i am a writer though unpublished and i have one of my works posted on a thread here in naiaraland. dats wat i'm doing!
Re: Anne Enright Wins The 2007 Man Booker Prize by SMC(f): 11:27pm On Nov 14, 2007
Orikinla:

Welcome back SMC.

Did you spend the vacation in Nigeria?

I want you to read my blog, Kisses & Roses.

Just type the name on Google and search.
It is the first on the list.

Thank you. No I did not spend my holidays in Nigeria. It was fantastic (thanks for asking).

(1) (Reply)

Benazir Bhutto: Daughter Of The East / The Shortcomings Of The Nigeria Prize For Literature / The Assassin Blade

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.