Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,528 members, 7,885,192 topics. Date: Wednesday, 10 July 2024 at 04:28 AM

Why Do People Bleach Their Skin. - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Why Do People Bleach Their Skin. (14741 Views)

Why Do People Bleach Their Skin? / Why Do People Trip In Their Dreams And Wake Up With A Jolt/twitch? Find Out... / Why Do Black People Bleach Their Skins? Effect Of Bleaching Creams (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do People Bleach Their Skin. by waterworks(f): 6:22am On Feb 10, 2012
@ima ima

theres a diff btw bleaching and toning. some pple use toning creams to[b] maintain their complexion and not change it.[/b]

imam ima please come and explain why anyone will need to "maintain"thier colour? does our skin colour start changing? why would u need to be toning what u already have? dont get it twisted, bleaching is bleaching those that are 2toning2 only have to bleach less because they are already sginificantly lighter. then they will say they are maintaining. maintaining my .nyash,
Re: Why Do People Bleach Their Skin. by ThiefOfHearts(f): 7:06am On Feb 10, 2012
waterworks:

@ima ima
imam ima please come and explain why anyone will need to "maintain"thier colour? does our skin colour start changing?

It does actually.
Re: Why Do People Bleach Their Skin. by queensmith: 9:00am On Feb 10, 2012
Nigerians and their bloody assumptions. It really does get annoying.

I dont need to bleach im naturally light but thats besides the point.

Bleaching is as fashionable as anything else and there is no reason to get hypertention over it.

If women can wear weave and men can get tattoos then why can people bleach?

The misconception that bleaching is anything to do with looking caucasion is the main bone of contention here.

People in their racist thought trails have carried something that has been done for thousands of years into a racial sense. Nobody is trying to look white people are simply trying to look rich. Tis well knows those that stay indoors in hot countries tend to be light while those that work on the fields will be dark. The poverty factor.

In the celtish times it was the same. So people used powder and creams to appear whiter. Its even still being done in countries like china.
Not everything is related to slavery. There are alot of issues we have in the black community, turning ourselves against one another for something soo trivial isnt helpful.
Re: Why Do People Bleach Their Skin. by waterworks(f): 10:05am On Feb 10, 2012
It does actually.

yes it does but not so drastically that we hve to bleach.
Re: Why Do People Bleach Their Skin. by waterworks(f): 10:06am On Feb 10, 2012

Bleaching is as fashionable as anything else and there is no reason to get hypertention over it.

The misconception that bleaching is anything to do with looking caucasion is the main bone of contention here.

People in their racist thought trails have carried something that has been done for thousands of years into a racial sense. Nobody is trying to look white people are simply trying to look rich. Tis well knows those that stay indoors in hot countries tend to be light while those that work on the fields will be dark. The poverty factor.In the celtish times it was the same. So people used powder and creams to appear whiter. Its even still being done in countries like china.
Not everything is related to slavery. There are alot of issues we have in the black community, turning ourselves against one another for something soo trivial isnt helpful

exactly. No one is content.
black tryng to be brown
chinese tryng to be white
white trying to be brown sheesh!
Re: Why Do People Bleach Their Skin. by Ideraolu: 10:08am On Feb 10, 2012
queensmith:

People in their racist thought trails have carried something that has been done for thousands of years into a racial sense. Nobody is trying to look white people are simply trying to look rich. Tis well knows those that stay indoors in hot countries tend to be light while those that work on the fields will be dark. The poverty factor.

In the celtish times it was the same. So people used powder and creams to appear whiter. Its even still being done in countries like china.
Not everything is related to slavery. There are alot of issues we have in the black community, turning ourselves against one another for something soo trivial isnt helpful.

@ Queensmith,

I think the best way to get a balance argument is to visit it from both side of the coin, if we refuse to limit our self to only blacks in the topic in question we may be able to get a more open and unbiased rationale.

I have some Pakistanis, India and Spanish friend that does bleach for reasons known to them but they are of the view that skin bleaching isn't ideal.

The body of the topic is not to lay war or criticism on dark complexioned people because i have seen people of the opposite race working on their skin to become whiter.
Re: Why Do People Bleach Their Skin. by ThiefOfHearts(f): 4:56pm On Feb 10, 2012
queensmith, it's self hatred. period.

If anything proves it, its the different ways darker Indians are treated compared to lighter ones.

People see how women who are lighter are treated and they try to get the same. It's depressing as hell.

It has nothing to do with being fashionable IMO. what is fashionable about not wanting to be the color God made you(general you, not you personally)? what's fashionable about not wanting to be dark skinned? Is that something to be proud of? Is that something that SHOULD be fashionable?

I figured just how much colorstruck Nigerians are when I saw the pathetic comments in the Yoruba beauties thread, all the women being praised were other mixed Yorubas or ones that are way lighter than the normal Yoruba woman. You think that's a coincidence? I dont.
Re: Why Do People Bleach Their Skin. by queensmith: 8:40pm On Feb 10, 2012
Idera_olu:

@ Queensmith,

I think the best way to get a balance argument is to visit it from both side of the coin, if we refuse to limit our self to only blacks in the topic in question we may be able to get a more open and unbiased rationale.

I have some Pakistanis, India and Spanish friend that does bleach for reasons known to them but they are of the view that skin bleaching isn't ideal.

The body of the topic is not to lay war or criticism on dark complexioned people because i have seen people of the opposite race working on their skin to become whiter.

they bleach to look rich, its as simple as. Nobody hates darker complexioned people and one will be wise not to pay attention to deluded american women. Always seeking a reason for why most of their sons are in prison! lol
Re: Why Do People Bleach Their Skin. by queensmith: 8:49pm On Feb 10, 2012
ThiefOfHearts:

queensmith, it's self hatred. period.
then so is wearing make up, tattooing, tanning, hair weaves of European nature, wearing every clothing but that derived from your own country eating foreign food, any form of taking plastic surgery, self improvement, going to the gym, even wearing clothes gan sef. We should all parade naked in our God given flesh?
abi?
ThiefOfHearts:

If anything proves it, its the different ways darker Indians are treated compared to lighter ones.
People see how women who are lighter are treated and they try to get the same. It's depressing as hell.

Its about poverty, #thatisall. The poorer class of people were darker, unfortunately india has a class system that is far from civilised, but that doesn't mean people are bleaching to look white.
People dont wear weave because they hate their afro hair? Do they? I must have missed the memo.
Long story short, they don't hate themselves. They do what they feel is in vogue, to fit in, to follow a trend.

ThiefOfHearts:

It has nothing to do with being fashionable IMO. what is fashionable about not wanting to be the color God made you(general you, not you personally)? what's fashionable about not wanting to be dark skinned? Is that something to be proud of? Is that something that SHOULD be fashionable?

I figured just how much colorstruck Nigerians are when I saw the pathetic comments in the Yoruba beauties thread, all the women being praised were other mixed Yorubas or ones that are way lighter than the normal Yoruba woman. You think that's a coincidence? I dont.

We've talked about God haven't we? I'll say it again, If you feel like we should in no way tamper with our God made bodies then you should be a nudist. Humanity is all about evolving. 50years to come we may not even look human any more.

I can't deny, light skinned women are praised more in my culture, but mainly because they look different. Again, its a poverty factor. You are not likely to be very light if you've been slaving in a farm all day. Thats why the women bleach thier bodies and what not.
Re: Why Do People Bleach Their Skin. by ThiefOfHearts(f): 1:30am On Feb 11, 2012
Your comments dont make an iota of sense to me AT ALL.

and how is wearing makeup the same as bleaching? at the end of the day you can wash makeup off, can you UNDO bleaching? Like are you serious with such a comparison 

There's nothing "fashionable" about bleaching. Sorry.

Your comments about poverty and whatnot is obnoxious. So you're saying the only reason a person is dark is because they worked in the farm? should I ask Alex Wek what she did before she became a model? since she's dark, SHE MUST BE POOR, is that what you're implying?
Re: Why Do People Bleach Their Skin. by agiboma(f): 3:40am On Feb 11, 2012
waterworks:

exactly. No one is content.
black tryng to be brown
chinese tryng to be white
white trying to be brown sheesh!

Some whites are even trying to get whiter, so they also use whitening creams, i know of a few that like the vampire look and are trying yo acheive it
Re: Why Do People Bleach Their Skin. by Wallie(m): 6:24pm On May 07, 2012
agiboma:

Some whites are even trying to get whiter, so they also use whitening creams, i know of a few that like the vampire look and are trying yo acheive it

I've never heard of a white person without mixed race trying to become whiter but that does not mean they do not exist. Being snow white, like Nicole Kidman (she can't tan), is not deemed fashionable. Here's an extremely tanned lady that was recently in the news:

http://www.hlntv.com/article/2012/05/04/tan-mom-risks-tanning?hpt=hp_c2

Re: Why Do People Bleach Their Skin. by anonymous6(f): 10:43am On Jun 19, 2012
Idera_olu: Skin bleaching is now a trendy ideology to some. beyond doubt, some men are part of these disgraceful act.

Fellow NL, can we have some discussion on the topic in question and if possible let's have some picture to educate those that may want to switch course.

Please be objective with your rationale.

SKIN BLEACHING OBSESSION AROUND THE WORLD
https://www.nairaland.com/804407/skin-bleaching-obsession-caribbean-us

To me it is because of self hate and wanting to conform, and the stigma's dark skinned women go through; check the link out
Re: Why Do People Bleach Their Skin. by queensmith: 10:52am On Jun 19, 2012
ThiefOfHearts: Your comments dont make an iota of sense to me AT ALL.

and how is wearing makeup the same as bleaching? at the end of the day you can wash makeup off, can you UNDO bleaching? Like are you serious with such a comparison 

There's nothing "fashionable" about bleaching. Sorry.

Your comments about poverty and whatnot is obnoxious. So you're saying the only reason a person is dark is because they worked in the farm? should I ask Alex Wek what she did before she became a model? since she's dark, SHE MUST BE POOR, is that what you're implying?

you can't undo many things it doesnt mean you hate yourself? You can't undo ear piercings, tattoos or even permanent make up. Does that mean you hate yourself?
You might not find it fashionable- those that do find it fashionable. Just because white people don't do it doesnt mean it cant be fashionable. Tanning is fashionable and equally dangerous?
No i am saying it's common belief , being dark is associated with being poor if you were familiar with the hindu class system you will know this.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Should Nigerian Government Regulate Childbirth Like The Chinese? / My Lassa Fever Story By Doctor Chibuike Joseph Chukwudum / Ortom Reacts As Rate Of HIV Drops From 12.9 To 4.7 Percent In Benue

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.