Stats: 3,198,467 members, 7,968,299 topics. Date: Monday, 07 October 2024 at 12:30 AM

Why Do Candidate Still Fail Jamb? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Do Candidate Still Fail Jamb? (8371 Views)

6 Reasons Why Some Students Study Very Hard But Still Fail Exams / I Know 98% Will Still Fail This Simple Mathematics [see Question] / Why Do Nigerian Students Fail Jamb Exams? (2) (3) (4)

Re: Why Do Candidate Still Fail Jamb? by ladg: 7:37pm On Feb 10, 2012
Re: Why Do Candidate Still Fail Jamb? by uniqueren(f): 7:41pm On Feb 10, 2012
Number 1 , ,,,,,,,,----
success4:

The reason includes but not limited to:
*Facebook
*Twitter
*Nairaland most especially the romance section
*African Magic
*Blackberry
*ELP
*UCL
*Labe Orun lol  etc----

to be continued!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

y u no come include 2go, whatsapp, mozat, nimbuzz, those are the ones they can really afford in general

i set some questions for a grp of 30 SS3 grls and its wasn't a suprise as none of them wrote you but ''u'' , no to bt ''2'', so social networking sites are really a problem

number 2, ,,,,,----
Arosa:

Jamb is useless they should ban it. Every university should set their own exams.  undecided

that the mindset of alot of them, finding the easy way out!!
mpmp:

I once interviewed a University graduate for a Job. He had a degree in Electrical / Electronics engineering, very impressive resume, etc. Physically, he looked sharp.

I asked this guy to define what electricity is.

The guy went dumb for like 3-mins, looked at me blankly and then re-echoed: electricity?

I said "Yes".

He said, "em, em, Nepa".

the guy couldnt explain beyond the above.

I believe that such a guy passed Jamb sometime ago!

i dey laf cheesycheesycheesycheesycheesy:/
Re: Why Do Candidate Still Fail Jamb? by ladg: 7:43pm On Feb 10, 2012
Re: Why Do Candidate Still Fail Jamb? by ladg: 7:44pm On Feb 10, 2012
1.Prejudice
2. Inadequate preparation
3. Non use of the syllabus
4. Reliance on runz
5. Over hypernes in the exam hall
5. Not speedy(time wise), e.t.c
Re: Why Do Candidate Still Fail Jamb? by kinglato(m): 8:47pm On Feb 10, 2012
tongue they thought they can excape it. Poor candidate they did not like passing through fire and they want to shine like gold.
Re: Why Do Candidate Still Fail Jamb? by ariyebaba(m): 9:04pm On Feb 10, 2012
because of FACE BOOK, TWITTER , FREE NIGHT CALLS,NAIRALAND, ETC

smiley wink cheesy grin angry
smiley wink wink wink grin grin
Re: Why Do Candidate Still Fail Jamb? by Thespecialone(m): 9:28pm On Feb 10, 2012
| Poor Preparation| | Lack of retentive memory | | Failure to obey simple instructions during the exam |
Re: Why Do Candidate Still Fail Jamb? by lifestyle1(m): 9:31pm On Feb 10, 2012
mpmp:

I once interviewed a University graduate for a Job. He had a degree in Electrical / Electronics engineering, very impressive resume, etc. Physically, he looked sharp.

The guy went dumb for like 3-mins, looked at me blankly and then re-echoed: electricity?

I said "Yes".

He said, "em, em, Nepa".

When you won't invite does that can do the job simply because they don't have 2.1/First class or because they are polytechnic graduate.

so what is electricity ?  undecided

Re: Why Do Candidate Still Fail Jamb? by Nobody: 9:51pm On Feb 10, 2012
life_style:

When you won't invite does that can do the job simply because they don't have 2.1/First class or because they are polytechnic graduate.

so what is electricity ?  undecided
true talk.some years back, during a lecture class in my final year, the lecturer told us about his friend's experience during an interview session:
one of the applicants had a 2:1 so they asked her a simple question, what is 10% of X. lo and behold, our 2:1 graduate could not give the correct answer.
Re: Why Do Candidate Still Fail Jamb? by poweredcom(m): 10:07pm On Feb 10, 2012
See Jamb question @poster

Na wa oo, dem must fail weller to be prepared to do Runz in the next year to pass na
Re: Why Do Candidate Still Fail Jamb? by bulksms247(m): 10:13pm On Feb 10, 2012
1. Na Because of 2go.

2. Na because of social media metworks, like facebook, twitter and co.

3. Some get plans what they will do and how they fill Bleep in skul once they pass jamb and gain admission
Re: Why Do Candidate Still Fail Jamb? by Akiika: 10:17pm On Feb 10, 2012
Did their teachers pass it?
Re: Why Do Candidate Still Fail Jamb? by Wexelion(m): 10:24pm On Feb 10, 2012
And this thread reach front page.
Re: Why Do Candidate Still Fail Jamb? by violent(m): 10:38pm On Feb 10, 2012

I said "Yes".

He said, "em, em, Nepa".

You must think we are all 3 year olds.

Someone silly enough to ask a graduate what electricity is at an interview has no right whatsoever to demand an intelligent response.
Re: Why Do Candidate Still Fail Jamb? by erico2k2(m): 10:43pm On Feb 10, 2012
Nah its cos its a stupid system which does not serve any purpose, testing students on a level and standard that thier own teaching can never attain in 20 years.
Re: Why Do Candidate Still Fail Jamb? by uniqueren(f): 11:01pm On Feb 10, 2012
violent:

Someone silly enough to ask a graduate what electricity is at an interview has no right whatsoever to demand an intelligent response.
you actually talked like a two year old. If i ask a graduate of elect elect wat electricity is, its definitely nt out of point-----or do u think interview question are from compiliers huh?? ;>
Re: Why Do Candidate Still Fail Jamb? by Emmzalon: 11:40pm On Feb 10, 2012
JEZ ONE TIN

#lack of faith,confidence and dependence in christ and d holy spirit.
Re: Why Do Candidate Still Fail Jamb? by Tthemanna: 11:55pm On Feb 10, 2012
Last year I did my first JAMB(finishd high sch in '10). I got to the exam hall met my partner, who already had a small paper with obj ans to a type on him. 5mins later while verifying thumb prints, his sister sent in a wrapped #100(paper inside) for his transport. . . About 1.35mins to the exam now I was doing maths, he was done wantd to give me expo answer to math question which I was gonna change my type to it(I thought everything was programmed very well, since our type was on the paper then their database should note that, so a change in the type of one's paper will bring about catastrophic ramifications). I laughed and said I was already on number 37(the math questions was simple), and try to advice him so he wasn't gonna get his exam cancelled by changing his paper type, he said there was no problem(of course there was no problem, the foul play wasn't detected).

2hrs later I was done, without cheating at all.
6days later checkd my result I got 271(note I studied for only 3wks), my pumes was also a success.

Do u know that right now am in my parents' house, and have just set my alarm to 2.30am to read for another JAMB coming up next month.

SO I WANT ALL U CLUELESS B.I.T.C.H.ES And M.U.T.H.A .Zap.A.S, who are supposed to stuff a big pie of STFU in their mouth to tell me why I wasn't admitted into any college?
Note: every1 who said jamb is useless is not among.
Re: Why Do Candidate Still Fail Jamb? by Chinyxboy(m): 12:18am On Feb 11, 2012
Many candidates fail to gain University Admission through the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) due to a lack of understanding of government policies on admission and lack of adherence to test instructions, the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) has said.

There are so many reasons that will make a student to fail JAMB. Most of these reasons are caused by the students themselves. The JAMB registrer made it crystal clear on 'why candidates fail JAMB'. Visit- http://www.nigeriascholar.com/2011/12/jamb-why-candidates-fail-to-gain.html for full details on this. Believe me, you will like it.
Re: Why Do Candidate Still Fail Jamb? by violent(m): 12:32am On Feb 11, 2012
uniqueren:

you actually talked like a two year old. If i ask a graduate of elect elect wat electricity is, its definitely nt out of point-----or do u think interview question are from compiliers huh?? ;>

There are questions you will only expect to come from underachievers, this is without doubt, one of such!. . .

For fck's sake, i could answer "what is electricity" before i turned 5, asking a BSc elect elect holder the same questions at an interview describes you the interviewer as a lazy, cognitively challenged under achieving fellow who's only interested in wasting everybody's time.  

You don't recruit talents by asking such dumb questions.  If an HR asks me such, i'd respond with a dirty slap!
Re: Why Do Candidate Still Fail Jamb? by uniqueren(f): 4:46am On Feb 11, 2012
violent:

There are questions you will only expect to come from underachievers, this is without doubt, one of such!. . .

For fck's sake, i could answer "what is electricity" before i turned 5, asking a BSc elect elect holder the same questions at an interview describes you the interviewer as a lazy, cognitively challenged under achieving fellow who's only interested in wasting everybody's time.  

You don't recruit talents by asking such dumb questions.  If an HR asks me such, i'd respond with a dirty slap!

oh yeah great achiever indeed, if u cld ansa the question @ five years, wat stops u from ansering it as a graduate ---WTF anoda escape from i dnt knw where

Tthemanna
i wld say u were qte unlucky cos i wrote my own jamb just once maths inclusive, bt unlike u i studied for lyk a year, and i'll tell u wat the fu*ck jamb is----anoda miserable test u have to undergo to prove ur worth--- no hard feelings dts just d way it is
Re: Why Do Candidate Still Fail Jamb? by hannahmay(f): 9:37am On Feb 11, 2012
Tthemanna:

Last year I did my first JAMB(finishd high sch in '10). I got to the exam hall met my partner, who already had a small paper with obj ans to a type on him. 5mins later while verifying thumb prints, his sister sent in a wrapped #100(paper inside) for his transport. . . About 1.35mins to the exam now I was doing maths, he was done wantd to give me expo answer to math question which I was gonna change my type to it(I thought everything was programmed very well, since our type was on the paper then their database should note that, so a change in the type of one's paper will bring about catastrophic ramifications). I laughed and said I was already on number 37(the math questions was simple), and try to advice him so he wasn't gonna get his exam cancelled by changing his paper type, he said there was no problem(of course there was no problem, the foul play wasn't detected).

2hrs later I was done, without cheating at all.
6days later checkd my result I got 271(note I studied for only 3wks), my pumes was also a success.

Do u know that right now am in my parents' house, and have just set my alarm to 2.30am to read for another JAMB coming up next month.

SO I WANT ALL U CLUELESS B.I.T.C.H.ES And M.U.T.H.A .Zap.A.S, who are supposed to stuff a big pie of STFU in their mouth to tell me why I wasn't admitted into any college?
Note: every1 who said jamb is useless is not among.
themanna, ur story touchd me. I was smiling wit ur courage wen I waz readn thru bt frown @the sight of nt yet admittd. Bt dnt relent, there's a reasn for dat nt yet admittd. U'l make it dis yr. Jxt wait for ur time n av faith in God,
Re: Why Do Candidate Still Fail Jamb? by Vansnickers: 10:02am On Feb 11, 2012
Premiership, I am sure even the British don't watch EPL as much as Nigerians.
Re: Why Do Candidate Still Fail Jamb? by Sike(m): 10:23am On Feb 11, 2012
Van snickers:

Premiership, I am sure even the British don't watch EPL as much as Nigerians.

Re: Why Do Candidate Still Fail Jamb? by Mynd44: 11:20am On Feb 11, 2012
The reason they fail is the same reason why a final year student of Mechanical Engineering can't solve a simultaneous equation (only two unknown variables ooooo)
Re: Why Do Candidate Still Fail Jamb? by uzoexcel(m): 1:11pm On Feb 11, 2012
uniqueren:

ismhab

Re: Why Do Candidate Still Fail Jamb?
« #10 on: Yesterday at 05:43:16 PM »

because igbos can no longer buy exam sheets and sell it to candidates.
That s a very daft reply Isham, try and behave ur age
Re: Why Do Candidate Still Fail Jamb? by Tthemanna: 4:19pm On Feb 11, 2012
uniqueren
Unlucky indeed. Technically speaking I studied more than 6months, is just that I picked up from where I left off(<->2010), but IMHO jamb is useless. There is nothing prove worthy in an exam that more than 70% cheat.

hannah may
Thanks for the encouragement.
Re: Why Do Candidate Still Fail Jamb? by Nobody: 6:22pm On Feb 11, 2012
Na wa o.
Thank GOD somehow I survived jamb despite partying all night a day before w/out expo(did it @ cantonment, Maryland with Soldiers all over the place).
Re: Why Do Candidate Still Fail Jamb? by mpmp: 8:47pm On Feb 11, 2012

Arosa (m)
UK

Grin Grin Grin ; @Dmpmp, that was a joke, right?

No sir, it isnt a joke. I kept the guy's CV for keeps. He had a 2.1 according to his CV. I remember I was so stunned to think that the word NEPA came across the guy's mind when asked about the definition of electricity.

In fact, after the interview, I had to go ask some of my other colleagues what a 2.1 meant in the Nigerian University system.
Re: Why Do Candidate Still Fail Jamb? by mpmp: 9:44pm On Feb 11, 2012
violent:

No, I dont think anyone here is a 3-year olds, I was just trying to say that the real problem isnt why some candidates fail Jamb, the real problem is why some people are given a University graduate certificate in the first place. But maybe we shouldnt blame the students, we should blame their lecturers, the deans, the whole educational system.

So you dont believe that a so-called University graduate, this guy wrote 2.1 as his graduating mark/whatever on his CV, has a B.Sc in Electrical / Electronics Engineering, etc. - wouldnt be able to reasonably define "electricity" beyond NEPA?

Or perhaps, you think I'm just trying to make fun. No. But if there is one thing I have learnt in my place of work, it is in the area of interviewing new job applicants. No, I am not into human resources. Before, I use to blame my boss(a foreigner) that he was too choosy, his standards were too high, etc., when he would interview new applicants (engineering graduates) and out of 20-people refuse to pick just-1. So the guy called me to come sit in on one of the interviews.

After my sit-in, I began to get angry with the entire educational system in Nigeria. I never knew things were so bad. Over time when I began conducting the interviews myself, I realized that most times, CVs/Resumes do not really reflect know what / how, especially for fresh graduates. In fact, I wrote an article on my observations and sent it to the guardian - using fictitous characters. Over time, i realized that newly Univ-grad employeds were just being informed about somethings which I was informed about way back in High school - for example: General Science / Physics. I decided not to blame them, but the system that produces such.

1) I have a copy of a final examination paper(not with me presently) of the FUTA in Akure, an exam for computer science students for the subject: Computer Architecture - subject taken by 3rd/4th yr students(I dont remember which exactly). Can you really believe that question#1 is: DRAW AND LABEL A COMPLETE COMPUTER KEYBOARD? This wasnt a 197? exam. The paper was about 5years ago.

Now, I believe, some students might have scored a perfect mark on question#1 to pass their computer architecture examination - but the real question is: is the ability to draw and label a complete computer keyboard the definition of knowledge in the 21st century? Wouldnt it have been better to ask students to draw a block diagram of an ideal computer CPU? and describe the how-does-it-function of a complete computer.Or perhaps, they were only taught about the keyboard in the first semester and the CPU is meant for the second?

If we just taught our computer architecture students how to draw a computer keyboard in their 3rd/4th year, question: what did we teach them during : "Intro to Computing" class, wayback first year? or even in secondary school?

As I write this, I remember that when I did my NYSC. I and a couple of corpers usually went to assist a computer teacher in a secondary school in Abuja. I remember feeling so stunned out of my mind, the first day when I got to the secondary school(one of the GSSs) - and I saw this man teaching MS EXCEL with a chalk and a blackboard. I couldnt believe my eyes, in my wildest, most extreme and funniest imaginations. Both shock and surprise took hold of me at the same time.

The guy really drew horizontal and vertical lines all over the blackboard and was using his chalk to explain cell1, cell2, etc. Then he was writing numbers inside the boxes. On the lower left hand corner of the board, he drew the 4-arrow keys(up, down, left, and right); and was explaining how to use Excel. I couldnt imagine that a teacher would teach a student how to click using a chalk and a blackboard. At the upper part of the board, he drew the menus (File menu, Edit, etc).

I really didnt know when tears started rolling from my eyes; whether I so much felt pain for the teacher who was doing his best, or perhaps that he was wasting his gaddem time / wasting the time of the computer-class students / whether or not the teacher had recommended to his bosses the need for a physical computer / or for the students who showed so much interest but lacked resources, or for the principal of the school who I felt wasnt doing enough / perhaps he didnt know better; or for the entire system itself.

I assumed that somewhere, somehow, there would be an annual report about the school, and somewhere somehow, it would be stated that they had a computer class. I wondered why / if anyone had ever asked if there was anything that looked like a computer in the computer class. My colleagues, who were not surprised about the sight noticed me crying, told me about my tears, asked me why, but I couldnt just control myself, even when I tried to smile.

Continue: I championed the idea of donating 3-computers to the school. I donated my personal desktop. We gathered funds, and some of my colleagues donated theirs. The computer teacher showed some resistance coz he felt we were taking his job away from him. We brought the stuffs to the school about 2-weeks later. The principal was very happy. Before we arrived, they had changed the door of the computer class and added a new padlock.

The day we arrived with the computers, we couldnt power then on because there was no electricity. So for 1-year of NYSC, I and my colleagues rotated on who(pairs) to pay for renting a generator to take to the sec.school for computer class. 1-year after NYSC, I found myself in the area where the school was. Went there to greet the peeps. Unfortunately, our computer project had stopped after we stopped coming: because there was no electricity.

Now, can you see why some students fail Jamb?
Re: Why Do Candidate Still Fail Jamb? by mpmp: 2:14pm On Feb 12, 2012
dear Education Mod,

I was banned yesterday after commenting. The message said something like: antispam bot,

Now, today I can post but the reply I made which I can still see in my profile/posts is hidden.

pls help

Check Out, How Exam Is Taken In Saudi Arabia (pic) / FIDEI Poly Crisis: 20 Students Arrested For Overpowering Policemen / NUC Will Effect UNILAG/MAU Name Change

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86