Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,890 members, 7,879,726 topics. Date: Thursday, 04 July 2024 at 05:24 AM

Hnd Program In Nigeria Is A Scam! - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Hnd Program In Nigeria Is A Scam! (12248 Views)

Uni Port Post Hnd Program / Give Your Career A Kickstart With BTEC HND Program / First Degree/hnd Program (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hnd Program In Nigeria Is A Scam! by Nobody: 2:50pm On Feb 09, 2012
The continued issuing of admission to innocent Nigerian youths into the HND program in various Nigerian universities, is a national scam that federal government must look into now! Haven't you observed that 99.9% of job, scholarship & career opportunities that is always advertised in Nigerian dailies, job search forums, forums, media, etc, hardly include HND holders? Its only very few opportunities that they are always included. Chevron recruits, HND holders are not eligible to apply, Mobil, Schulumberger, Agip, Flour Mills, NIgerian Breweries, Arik Air Graduate T, CAP, NDDC, Total (both their scholarships), CAT, Consolidated Breweries, DPR, Guiness Diageo, etc, etc, etc, just go through the jobs advertised from last year through this year and see for yourself how these HND holders are brutally discriminated, and yet, the federal govt. & ministry of education allow polytechnics to be running this program and be churning out millions of graduates from there, what's their hope?

Are we not breeding another set of POLY HARAM??Since their services are no longer as regards to the reasons for which they were formed in the past, isn't it high time FG call this program to an abrupt halt and let polytechnics be running only OND programs, and after that, the person can seek for direct entry or go get a university degree or stop with OND and know that he or she didn't waste so much years on this so-called HND program.

I know some folks would say, they had the choices of going for direct entry after their OND, but thats not the real truth, FG should stop the program immediately or do something about it (employment wise), than allowing polytechnics to be extorting money from these innocent Nigerian youths. Painfully, the polytechnic students spend more than university students (compulsory handouts, frequent term papers, and other bogus reoccurrent expenses they do incur, and their tuition are always too high compared to universities).We need to address this issue now, FG and all concerned individuals and parastatals, should please do something very quick, its becoming so disheartening. These HND holders will just sit at home and be watching job vacancy adverts and scholarship opportunities being advertised and they are not allowed to even try and fail, or at least throw it open to both B.Sc & HND holders for them to compete and the employers get the best. because, most HND holders are better off B.Sc holders, with due respect, and some ended up their out of one misfortune or the other which doesn't necessarily meant they were naive or poor scholars.

Moderators, please bring this to the front page, members, please share this on your facebook walls and twitter status, and let the authority act soon please, its a serious issue to worry. even if you are a B.Sc holder, you have cousins, siblings, friends, who are HND Holders, so would you be happy you succeed and they didn't, and yet they possess a certificate they toiled for years and also served their fatherland like the B.Sc holers. Think wise before you respond to this. Thank you nd God bless us all.

2 Likes

Re: Hnd Program In Nigeria Is A Scam! by Nobody: 12:21pm On Feb 13, 2012
Everything in nigeria is all about bizness
Re: Hnd Program In Nigeria Is A Scam! by SamMilla1(m): 12:22pm On Feb 13, 2012
You are right. Most things in this country are legal scam.
Re: Hnd Program In Nigeria Is A Scam! by yoboone(m): 12:40pm On Feb 13, 2012
But the most importantly, HND holders are uncomparable with so called BSC holders. Two persons were interview for an industrial trainee(IT), after the interview, the girl from the university(3rd yr) said "if she had known, she wouldve gone and borrow some practical books and read cos they do more of theory in her school, whilst the other guy(ND year 2) was choosen over her. I wonder while Nigerian govt should be so dumb.
Re: Hnd Program In Nigeria Is A Scam! by highland(m): 12:41pm On Feb 13, 2012
The Polytechnic degrees are aimed towards technical education  in a way to raise technical professionals, but due to the greediness of some schools to have high population of student been admitted in order to make money money destroy the credibility of the HND certificate. What they did, was that started admitting Social sciences courses like accounting, business etc which are not technical at all lead  to disrespect to the certificate in preference to University graduates who study the same courses.

1 Like

Re: Hnd Program In Nigeria Is A Scam! by Waleyem(m): 12:43pm On Feb 13, 2012
Honestly,The discrimination between the HND and BSC is jst too much.even in govt parastatal.so what are we talkin abt.d best thing is to scrap it or allow polytechnic to award BTECH and place university and polytechnic on d same salary scale, govt is not helping matter at all.all what they knw is to enrich dia pocket. HND holder should go for PGD then Masters.
Re: Hnd Program In Nigeria Is A Scam! by olajide8(m): 12:54pm On Feb 13, 2012
i think years ago i placed this issue o the front burner somewhere and i just did not get any plausible response well i happen to have thought along your line before entering into the labour market and i would'nt lie to you i still regret not leaving that system at least it would have made a lot of us work on equal terms and our potentials would have been better assessed against our counter parts but all that said what is the solution rambling about this issue or looking at the issue at stake WELL i beg to be challenged by this statement i am going to make but i want to tell you it is a true reflection of whats happening in our environment universities produce managers polytechnics produce entrepreneurs people may not believe or accept this statement but its is the truth after creating we employ the managers whom are still not good enough to manage the system and they all make a mess of it but that's how i see it though i may be wrong but like i said i still need more enlightenment UNIVERSITIES PRODUCE -MANAGERS POLYTECHNIC PRODUCE - ENTREPRENEURS
Re: Hnd Program In Nigeria Is A Scam! by Businesstools(m): 1:04pm On Feb 13, 2012
I do not buy the opinion that Degree holders cannot measure up to their HND counterparts.Their responsibilities in an organisation are different.Besides,we are all presented with equal opportunities to attend poly,Uni,Colleges of Edu or others.The choice is for individuals to make.If a person is not satisfied with his educational qualification,the room for advancement is not exhausted.
Re: Hnd Program In Nigeria Is A Scam! by upengineer: 1:14pm On Feb 13, 2012
@ Poster,
whats your course and qualification to start with? As for me, am a proud HND holder. You are what you think about yourself, how many recent university graduates work in the companies you listed? Your thinking is a lazy man thinking that want to work in blue chip by force! Wake up to reality man
Re: Hnd Program In Nigeria Is A Scam! by Agimor(m): 1:18pm On Feb 13, 2012
[color=#990000][/color]I seconded that.truly speaking most polytechnic student are better of than Bsc holder,cause they are taught the practical aspect onlike the Bsc holders of which has notting to show.government should look into this matter cause polytechnic student are highly discreminated.
Re: Hnd Program In Nigeria Is A Scam! by zignor(m): 1:18pm On Feb 13, 2012
UNIVERSITIES PRODUCE -MANAGERS while POLYTECHNIC PRODUCE - ENTREPRENEURS

and the entrepreneuer after becoming business mogul will still employ university graduate as manager of his firm. . . . .lol grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin who is deceiving who?
Re: Hnd Program In Nigeria Is A Scam! by Ninapha(f): 1:26pm On Feb 13, 2012
You are right on point.  Most times you dont get to know this discrimination untill  u are out of the system, and unfortunately both the govt and the employers  are bent on frustrating them.  I hv often asked, if the system is not functional and the standard not acceptable by most institutions, why not scrap it or look into the curriculum.  Even in  Govt parastatal  they can only get to a certain level.  I can never forget Diamond Bank Experience.  

The truth be told going thru the polytechnic and going thru the university, one would not fail to notice why this discrimination is always alive.  the rigours in the uni are more demanding even though in some same courses, polytechnic graduates spend more years.  Now what is the crime of Polytechnic graduates? Why has the govt not bring out a clear view of their reason for establishing polytechnics and their future career chances?that way people would know before hand if they actually want to be at that level.

I attest that most polytechnic students are not there because they are dull but because of the Nigerian factor, Post UME and all the "ojoros"and sometimes the nature of the system which allows one to do OND and later HND. The other hand most lecturers in the polytechnic are average with mostly Msc. few PHDs and are often not interested in breaking records.

In the labour market, i have worked with both products, each institution has its own beauty i appreciate.  I must say that in engineering our university graduates do better while in Accounting and management, our polytechnic products are far better then i ask? why cant the authorities look into this problem and fix things that needed fixing than subjecting people 5 years of emptiness after graduation.

I am a product of both  but for me untill this madness is cured, no one from my linage wd go to the polytechnics.

1 Like

Re: Hnd Program In Nigeria Is A Scam! by playboy19(m): 1:31pm On Feb 13, 2012
@op, Instead of sitting around wallowing in self-pity for years like you said, how many years does it take to advance from being an HND holder to a BSc  holder?
Go out there, make things happen for yourself. Don't wait till the government create a leveled ground, level it up from your own side. Make up your mind and remove the barrier. Get yourself a BSc., it's just a year i guess, so, go out there and get it down.
Re: Hnd Program In Nigeria Is A Scam! by olajide8(m): 1:33pm On Feb 13, 2012
yes this your view may be true but that still does'nt give room for equal opportunity
Businesstools:

I do not buy the opinion that Degree holders cannot measure up to their HND counterparts.Their responsibilities in an organisation are different.Besides,we are all presented with equal opportunities to attend poly,Uni,Colleges of Edu or others.The choice is for individuals to make.If a person is not satisfied with his educational qualification,the room for advancement is not exhausted.
believe it or not Dangote was a university graduate before he became the richest man bill gates dropped out of university but employed the best brains to manage his business the list is endless but i guess we always want to defend our constituency
zignor:

and the entrepreneuer after becoming business mogul will still employ university graduate as manager of his firm. . . . .lol grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin who is deceiving who?
coming to this like they say desperation brings out innovation and that is where the enterprise comes into play
Ninapha:

You are right on point.  Most times you dont get to know this discrimination untill  u are out of the system, and unfortunately both the govt and the employers  are bent on frustrating them.  I hv often asked, if the system is not functional and the standard not acceptable by most institutions, why not scrap it or look into the curriculum.  Even in  Govt parastatal  they can only get to a certain level.  I can never forget Diamond Bank Experience.  

The truth be told going thru the polytechnic and going thru the university, one would not fail to notice why this discrimination is always alive.  the rigours in the uni are more demanding even though in some same courses, polytechnic graduates spend more years.  Now what is the crime of Polytechnic graduates? Why has the govt not bring out a clear view of their reason for establishing polytechnics and their future career chances?that way people would know before hand if they actually want to be at that level.

I attest that most polytechnic students are not there because they are dull but because of the Nigerian factor, Post UME and all the "ojoros"and sometimes the nature of the system which allows one to do OND and later HND. The other hand most lecturers in the polytechnic are average with mostly Msc. few PHDs and are often not interested in breaking records.

In the labour market, i have worked with both products, each institution has its own beauty i appreciate.  I must say that in engineering our university graduates do better while in Accounting and management, our polytechnic products are far better then i ask? why cant the authorities look into this problem and fix things that needed fixing than subjecting people 5 years of emptiness after graduation.

I am a product of both  but for me untill this madness is cured, no one from my linage wd go to the polytechnics.
Re: Hnd Program In Nigeria Is A Scam! by Businesstools(m): 1:46pm On Feb 13, 2012
What practicals are you guys taking about?I have experienced the both sides so I'm expected not to be biased in my judgement.I hold an HND in Electrical Engineering( Power & Machine Option).Subsequently,I proceeded to the University to study Accounting.I took this decision not out of frustration but love for Accounting.
Re: Hnd Program In Nigeria Is A Scam! by Businesstools(m): 1:58pm On Feb 13, 2012
The fact that you possess HND or BSc has absolutely no influence on your intellectual capability.A Bachelors Degree will only equip you better than an HND.A typical instance in Engineering,Advanced Calculus which comprises of Fourier Series,LaPlace Transforms and others which is offered in 200L in the Uni,is an HND course in the Poly.They don't even go into details.

1 Like

Re: Hnd Program In Nigeria Is A Scam! by olajide8(m): 2:14pm On Feb 13, 2012
Businesstools:

The fact that you possess HND or BSc has absolutely no influence on your intellectual capability.A Bachelors Degree will only equip you better than an HND.A typical instance in Engineering,Advanced Calculus which comprises of Fourier Series,LaPlace Transforms and others which is offered in 200L in the Uni,is an HND course in the Poly.They don't even go into details.
Would that tell you how to bridge a transformer or identify the issues or of power challenges when looking for a bridge on a generating set issue, is it just paper work qualification the mathematics of power, managing a system that has already been developed, rather then creating a transformer, look beyond the course ( beyond the flesh and see the meat) how many professional examinations have you found that polytechnic students find challenging when compared to their university mates i happen to be doing a masters and without over rating the course they a re a walk in the park, i remember ev en being used as a machinery then to do exams for some of my friends ( in those days of ignorance) so whats are you trying to get at

1 Like

Re: Hnd Program In Nigeria Is A Scam! by Konnektions146(m): 2:41pm On Feb 13, 2012
generally, thee is a problem with our academics, I am a HND holder but i can do more than a whole lot of the BSC guys.
i have some job i do and i have so many that graduatd before me and without a job,
yes!, they can be dicriminated upon but yu have tell yurself the truth abt wat yu want in yur life and pursue it.

1 Like

Re: Hnd Program In Nigeria Is A Scam! by Sike(m): 2:46pm On Feb 13, 2012
A Scam!! #Period
Re: Hnd Program In Nigeria Is A Scam! by Dereformer(m): 2:48pm On Feb 13, 2012
Educational qualification whether HND or BSC does not matter any more in the Nigerian Labour market. What matters is Professional qualification.

For me It is HND(Accounting), ACA, CISA(very soon).

Please go for professional qualification.

1 Like

Re: Hnd Program In Nigeria Is A Scam! by ikooko(m): 3:18pm On Feb 13, 2012
Let not misinterpret the intention of the poster. attending university does not guarantee sucess or failure in life rather the individual thirst for sucess.
However, from every aspect of our economy, government has demonstated the superiority of bsc grads over hnd grads which is not proper. I do not blame the private sector because there are few job oppurtunities with several applicants.
For instance, HND grad cannot apply for national scholarship in a country where your parent pay tax even if you have distinction. Job advert in federal establishments clearly emphasis bsc applcants.
we are not here to criticise schools but i have seen several uni grads who can not construct simple sentenses not to talk of intelligent discussions and i have seen similar trend in poly grads also. even our leaders, how many of them merit the university certs they are displaying.
summarily, the whole issue boil down to leadership decay, we cant get it right unless we go back to basics, basics in this instance refer to sovereign national conference.
Re: Hnd Program In Nigeria Is A Scam! by Mucokey(m): 3:21pm On Feb 13, 2012
As an-in-between person abt dis discrimination( been 2 both poly n uni), both settings re differ a bit cos i can attest 2 dis zeal in whic an average uni guy goes abt his academic activities while dat of his poly mate jus allows himself 2 wallow in self pity of 'complex'.
Though de poly try 2 align its on de course they at intensively, dat uni try not only directing u on dis course bt as well try 2 expose de student 2 oda areas of endeavours. De govt shud as well luk into dis issue cos jus like dat of college of education which re at least being considered as teachers they shud be provided wit sort of reserved area mainly 4 de poly guys
Re: Hnd Program In Nigeria Is A Scam! by Okijajuju1(m): 3:54pm On Feb 13, 2012
Konnektions146:

generally, thee is a problem with our academics, I am a HND holder but i can do more than a whole lot of the BSC guys.
i have some job i do and i have so many that graduatd before me and without a job,
yes!, they can be dicriminated upon but yu have tell yurself the truth abt wat yu want in yur life and pursue it.

Your English is truly that of a HND holder. Any BSc holder who writes such a post filled with such scandalous grammatical errors must have graduated from a polytechnic with a BSc. angry

Agimor:

[color=#990000][/color]I seconded that.truly speaking most polytechnic student are better of than Bsc holder,cause they are taught the practical aspect onlike the Bsc holders of which has notting to show.government should look into this matter cause polytechnic student are highly discreminated.

Another self-deluded zombie.

So because you are thought how to screw a light buld in makes you better than the man who designed, manufactured and would improve on the light bulb abi?! angry

My friend go to a university and learn how things are made and not how to install ready-made things. angry

olajide_07:

i think years ago i placed this issue o the front burner somewhere and i just did not get any plausible response well i happen to have thought along your line before entering into the labour market and i would'nt lie to you i still regret not leaving that system at least it would have made a lot of us work on equal terms and our potentials would have been better assessed against our counter parts but all that said what is the solution rambling about this issue or looking at the issue at stake WELL i beg to be challenged by this statement i am going to make but i want to tell you it is a true reflection of whats happening in our environment universities produce managers polytechnics produce entrepreneurs people may not believe or accept this statement but its is the truth after creating we employ the managers whom are still not good enough to manage the system and they all make a mess of it but that's how i see it though i may be wrong but like i said i still need more enlightenment UNIVERSITIES PRODUCE -MANAGERS POLYTECHNIC PRODUCE - ENTREPRENEURS

Hmmm!!

Indeed you need enlightenment.

Polytechnic produces enterprenuers, but University produces CEOs of multinational and fortune 500 companies.

wink

And its a lie that companies do not employ HND holders cos I know for a fact that they do.
Re: Hnd Program In Nigeria Is A Scam! by otokx(m): 4:03pm On Feb 13, 2012
HND progam in Nigeria is not a scam; people should know what they are getting into before going there.
Re: Hnd Program In Nigeria Is A Scam! by Ninapha(f): 4:28pm On Feb 13, 2012
Okija_juju:

Your English is truly that of a HND holder. Any BSc holder who writes such a post filled with such scandalous grammatical errors must have graduated from a polytechnic with a BSc. angry

You are very wrong. Fluency in English language depends mainly on ones background: primary/secondary , home-front ,personal effort and exposure. I can count 100 uni graduates that murder the language like boko haram members murder policemen. Dont even show off on that one, I cant vouch for all Uni graduates.
Re: Hnd Program In Nigeria Is A Scam! by isleman(m): 4:29pm On Feb 13, 2012
BSC or HND does not decide your height in life. what decides your height in life is your degree of commitment, hard work, dedication and strong desire to survive and succeed.

qualifications such as BSC, HND etc will matter to does who want remain an employee for the whole of their life and expect to get paid from what somebody or government established. if your goal is to be a job creator or entrepreneur, qualification wont matter to you. business minded people usually gun for business survival ideas and not paper qualification.

1 Like

Re: Hnd Program In Nigeria Is A Scam! by Nobody: 4:51pm On Feb 13, 2012
I want to stick with the school of thought who believes that an individual is not a by product of the school he attends.
People from time past have broken grounds and made discoveries not because they attended the worlds best schools,
The bill gates of this world didn't succeed because he went to havard. Rather he succeeded because he was good at something,
Question we should ask ourselves is what am I good at. That's why u see that 2.1 graduates these days ends up failing tests because the school system is nothing to write home about.
while it might be okay to say that HND certificates are targeted at practical oriented people it doesn't mean that they cannot be better than university graduates, And vice versa.
Please the most important thing u should understand is that there is always room for improvement. And u can b anything u wanna b if u set ür mind to it. Although it might take some time but anything is possible,
take time to do research and find ways to develop urself further. Am not saying its gonna be easy, all am saying is that it can only get better. HND or BSc

1 Like

Re: Hnd Program In Nigeria Is A Scam! by ebecode(m): 5:27pm On Feb 13, 2012
Kingsleyinfo:

I want to stick with the school of thought who believes that an individual is not a by product of the school he attends.
People from time past have broken grounds and made discoveries not because they attended the worlds best schools,
The bill gates of this world didn't succeed because he went to havard. Rather he succeeded because he was good at something,
Question we should ask ourselves is what am I good at. That's why u see that 2.1 graduates these days ends up failing tests because the school system is nothing to write home about.
while it might be okay to say that HND certificates are targeted at practical oriented people it doesn't mean that they cannot be better than university graduates, And vice versa.
Please the most important thing u should understand is that there is always room for improvement. And u can b anything u wanna b if u set ür mind to it. Although it might take some time but anything is possible,
take time to do research and find ways to develop urself further. Am not saying its gonna be easy, all am saying is that it can only get better. HND or BSc
Best post so far.God bless u.
Re: Hnd Program In Nigeria Is A Scam! by WaltherPPK: 5:28pm On Feb 13, 2012
Okija_juju:

Your English is truly that of a HND holder. Any BSc holder who writes such a post filled with such scandalous grammatical errors must have graduated from a polytechnic with a BSc.  angry

Another self-deluded zombie.

So because you are thought how to screw a light buld in makes you better than the man who designed, manufactured and would improve on the light bulb abi?!  angry

My friend go to a university and learn how things are made and not how to install ready-made things.  angry

Hmmm!!

Indeed you need enlightenment.

Polytechnic produces enterprenuers, but University produces CEOs of multinational and fortune 500 companies.

wink

And its a lie that companies do not employ HND holders cos I know for a fact that they do.

You seem to forget that enterprenuers established and own these multinationals and fortune 500 companies and employ the CEOs.So would you rather be employer or employee.What I have observed here is that poly graduates wallow in self defeating inferiority complex while the uni graduates bask in false sense of superiority.Going to Uni or poly does not guaranttee anything, more than any thing else self development can take a person to any height.Most times you will find out that what obtains in the field is a different ball game from what was taught in the uni or poly.However, poly graduates have the right to speak out against the obvious discrimination in the system especially by the same government that established the polytechnics and this for those who are most interested in paid employment.
Re: Hnd Program In Nigeria Is A Scam! by beewhyfocs(m): 5:57pm On Feb 13, 2012
The truth be said, an average university graduate is different from an average HND holder. By this difference, I mean in terms of interaction, reasoning and outlook to things. This I think is partly due to the kind of training received respectively in addition to the sustained mentality while in school.

While a university student feels he has several opportunities waiting for him in the outside world, his counterpart in the polytechnic always have to deal with the mentality of discrimination in the offing.
The sad truth is this, both have their places and should not be compared to each other. The comparison is similar to comparing Mango with Orange.
Re: Hnd Program In Nigeria Is A Scam! by Kitomania(m): 6:33pm On Feb 13, 2012
I heard there is even a federal Government that recruit this last January, 2012 throught the Federal Civil Service Commission of One hundred 100 graduates but no single is HND holder is included, what a pity
Re: Hnd Program In Nigeria Is A Scam! by Bright2(m): 8:50pm On Feb 13, 2012
This shouldn't cause alarm, i merited both qualification( HND & BSC ) as i stated few years ago on this same forum, but in my own case HND cirtificate was used for my employment instead of BSC. I appreciate my BSC but HND made my day,the work load in poly is very high in such that when i was in poly i don't have to time party but in uni i think i did party well. How ever both are good but i vote for poly students cause many poly graduate don't wait for Government recruitment as they can be self employed but a university graduate have to wait for such! If you like field work like rig worker then go to the poly but if you like office aircondition,then go to the university.Nigeria need those that can make things work & not those that can design & hands up without making it work. If you believe poly students don't do much of theory i sugest you go there your self or try them. undecided

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Solve This Maths Now And Win Instant N10,000 / Can A 2.2 Graduate Be Accepted For Masters?? / My Jamb And Waec Results Bears Different Name Combinations

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.