Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,581 members, 7,888,871 topics. Date: Saturday, 13 July 2024 at 05:15 PM

Biafra And Scientific Development - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Biafra And Scientific Development (16984 Views)

Deadly Encounter Between Pro-biafra And JTF In Onitsha (graphic Photo) / What Cleric Rev. Fr. Ejike Mbaka Said About Biafra And Nigeria (Old Video) / Why The Igbos Want Biafra And Yoruba/hausa Don't.. Personal Observation. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Biafra And Scientific Development by Nobody: 5:38am On Feb 13, 2012
In the past fifty years Africa, just like other parts of the world has experienced many social and political upheavals of earth-shaking magnitude.  Of all the wars that have happened within this period both in Africa and elsewhere none has had so much devastating and of a far-reaching effect in terms of human death tolls and collateral property damage like the Biafra War. Yet in spite of this fact it is about the least remembered and talked of wars of recent history.  Why?
Re: Biafra And Scientific Development by Nobody: 5:50am On Feb 13, 2012
chukwuawka:

It is even clear how 42 years after the war, there are strong calls for the re-instatement of the Republic of Biafra by MASSOB and even most of you out there. We are aware that change does not come so suddenly; it takes time and some meticulous planning. Today I can authoritatively say that that change is taking place as you are reading this article. But very slowly and steadily. When HE shall be revealed, the world will be flabbergasted how the rejected tribe has turned out to be the chosen one.
@ Chukwuawka,
Nwanne udo dirigi, biko achorom idere gi na email gi, we need people like you, and all u said is the pure and gospel truth,
Re: Biafra And Scientific Development by Nobody: 5:55am On Feb 13, 2012
THERE is a "Kingdom of Biafra" on some old maps which were made by early white explorers of the west coast of Africa. Nobody is now sure what that kingdom was, what its laws and arts and tools were like. No tales survive of the kings and queens.

As for the "Republic of Biafra" we know a great deal. It was a nation with more citizens than Ireland and Norway combined. It proclaimed itself an independent republic on May 30, 1967. On January 17 of 1970, it surrendered unconditionally to Nigeria, the nation from which it had tried to secede. It had few friends in this world, and among its active enemies were Russia and Great Britain. Its enemies were pleased to call it a "tribe."
Re: Biafra And Scientific Development by Nobody: 5:58am On Feb 13, 2012
Biafra: A People Betrayed

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
by Kurt Vonnegut
From "Wampeters, Foma and Granfalloons", 1979
The Biafrans were mainly Christians and they spoke English melodiously, and their economy was this one: small-town free enterprise. The worthless Biafran currency was gravely honored to the end.

The tune of Biafra's national anthem was Finlandia, by Jan Sibelius. The equatorial Biafrans admired the arctic Finns because the Finns won and kept their freedom in spite of ghastly odds.

Biafra lost its freedom, of course, and I was in the middle of it as all its fronts were collapsing. I flew in from Gabon on the night of January 3, with bags of corn, beans, and powdered milk, aboard a blacked out DC6 chartered by Caritas, the Roman Catholic relief organization. I flew out six nights later on an empty DC4 chartered by the French Red Cross. It was the last plane to leave Biafra that was not fired upon.

While in Biafra, I saw a play which expressed the spiritual condition of the Biafrans at the end. It was set in ancient times, in the home of a medicine man. The moon had not been seen for many months, and the crops had failed. There was nothing to eat anymore. A sacrifice was made to a goddess of fertility, and the sacrifice was refused. The goddess gave the reason: The people were not sufficiently unselfish and brave.

Before the drama began, the national anthem was played on an ancient marimba. It seems likely that similar marimbas were heard in the court of the Kingdom of Biafra. The black man who played the marimba was naked to the waist. He squatted on the stage. He was a composer. He also held a doctor's degree from the London School of Economics.
Re: Biafra And Scientific Development by Nobody: 6:01am On Feb 13, 2012
Word according to a white man who witness it all,
Re: Biafra And Scientific Development by GAR3TH(m): 6:03am On Feb 13, 2012
obuekwe:

In the past fifty years Africa, just like other parts of the world has experienced many social and political upheavals of earth-shaking magnitude.  Of all the wars that have happened within this period both in Africa and elsewhere none has had so much devastating and of a far-reaching effect in terms of human death tolls and collateral property damage like the Biafra War. Yet in spite of this fact it is about the least remembered and talked of wars of recent history.  Why?

Because. . . .

1 - Its wasn't the most nor was it near as devastating and far-reaching effect in terms of human death tolls and collateral property damage as other wars in the last 50 years. There were more important and meaningful wars that were fought in the same time period.

2 - After 40 years people have moved on, unfortunately there are still a few chess beaters out there.

3 - The war was basically a joke, Both side were at fault and in the end you got a pointless war. Biafra could had easily got a UN sponsored referendum back in 1967, they could have got a UN sponsored referendum through out those 40 years and they could get a UN sponsored referendum today. So why didn't they? Mid west region got a referendum as did many other countries/places, so why not biafra? why war?

4 - Biafra was an Igbo movement and not an eastern region nor a southern movement, this is why you ONLY see some igbos screaming biafra and NOT Ijaws, ibibo, Efik or edos. The igbo movement that was biafra started claiming other people's land who didn't even want to be part of biafra, Hence why the war started. Like point number 3, if biafra was serious, they should have got a referendum first, like many other places in that time period got., instead of starting a war and claiming land. In summary, it was a pointless war hence why no one talks about it.

1 Like

Re: Biafra And Scientific Development by BlackPikiN(m): 6:21am On Feb 13, 2012
GAR3TH:

Because. . . .

1 - Its wasn't the most nor was it near as devastating and far-reaching effect in terms of human death tolls and collateral property damage as other wars in the last 50 years. There were more important and meaningful wars that were fought in the same time period.

2 - After 40 years people have moved on, unfortunately there are still a few chess beaters out there.

3 - The war was basically a joke, Both side were at fault and in the end you got a pointless war. Biafra could had easily got a UN sponsored referendum back in 1967, they could have got a UN sponsored referendum through out those 40 years and they could get a UN sponsored referendum today. So why didn't they? Mid west region got a referendum as did many other countries/places, so why not biafra? why war?

4 - Biafra was an Igbo movement and not an eastern region nor a southern movement, this is why you ONLY see some igbos screaming biafra and NOT Ijaws, ibibo, Efik or edos[b]. The igbo movement that was biafra started claiming other people's land who didn't even want to be part of biafra, Hence why the war started.[/b] Like point number 3, if biafra was serious, they should have got a referendum first, like many other places in that time period got., instead of starting a war and claiming land. In summary, it was a pointless war hence why no one talks about it.

I hate reading this!

In only one sentence,

You are a damned liar!

2 Likes

Re: Biafra And Scientific Development by GAR3TH(m): 6:27am On Feb 13, 2012
Like I said if biafra was serious they would have called for a referendum like many other places did and have done over the past 42 years. Did Ijaws, Ibibos, Efik, edo etc say they wanted to be in biafra? Today Do you see those groups asking for biafra, holding meetings and protest in the name of biafra, are those groups even part of MASSOB, Like I said and as everyone knows Biafra is an Igbo thing, You cant really deny that. None of those group said they wanted to be in biafra but yet Biafra claimed those land. Like the White kids in my global history class back in High School said, why wasn't there a referendum held if biafra was serious. To see what groups wanted to leave nigeria or be part of biafra, Instead biafra just did what the british did and claimed land with out the people's consent. The war was basically a big joke, If there was a UN sponsored referendum, Biafra might even be here today.

1 Like

Re: Biafra And Scientific Development by Valon4ego(m): 6:40am On Feb 13, 2012
GAR3TH:

Because. . . .

4 - Biafra was an Igbo movement and not an eastern region nor a southern movement, this is why you ONLY see some igbos screaming biafra and NOT Ijaws, ibibo, Efik or edos. The igbo movement that was biafra started claiming other people's land who didn't even want to be part of biafra, Hence why the war started. Like point number 3, if biafra was serious, they should have got a referendum first, like many other places in that time period got., instead of starting a war and claiming land. In summary, it was a pointless war hence why no one talks about it.

rubish talk! Wonder where you derive your theory from
Re: Biafra And Scientific Development by GAR3TH(m): 6:44am On Feb 13, 2012
Valon4ego:

rubish talk! Wonder where you derive your theory from

What theory, You can look up any NON-BIAS History book

@thread, I'm not going to reply following this post because I know I'm going to get swarmed by the pro briafra community just like the other threads. They are entitled to their views and opinions and they are free to reply, but I'm not going to tolerate any sort of negative responses. I wont respond if I see anything negativity.

1 Like

Re: Biafra And Scientific Development by DuduNegro: 7:19am On Feb 13, 2012
THERE is a "Kingdom of Biafra" on some old maps which were made by early white explorers of the west coast of Africa. Nobody is now sure what that kingdom was, what its laws and arts and tools were like. No tales survive of the kings and queens.

As for the "Republic of Biafra" we know a great deal. It was a nation with more citizens than Ireland and Norway combined. It proclaimed itself an independent republic on May 30, 1967. On January 17 of 1970, it surrendered unconditionally to Nigeria, the nation from which it had tried to secede. It had few friends in this world, and among its active enemies were Russia and Great Britain. Its enemies were pleased to call it a "tribe."

. . . .Kingdom of Biafra Kings and Queens, are you kidding me? grin The white man was high on opium when he wrote that.
Re: Biafra And Scientific Development by DuduNegro: 7:38am On Feb 13, 2012
. . .wooo, hold on, who is the fabricator that has been dreaming up a new glorious past and composing lies to contradict and dribble away from the sordid performance and politics of Biafra?

what the heck!! Really, Africa cannot survive without Biafra. . . you are the savior of the continent? How about save yourself from boko haram first before saving Africa! Take that technology to the dude in Imo ihenoffe or whats his name and tell him to start manufacture ogbunike instead of assemblying buses. You dont need bus, you need ogbunnike to counter terrorize boko. What da lipsrsealed . . .ooops, almost earned myself another ban. .
Re: Biafra And Scientific Development by zumbigbo(m): 10:59am On Feb 13, 2012
Welsh mercenary

Williams found his Biafran troops to be completely different from those who he commanded in Katanga. "I've seen a lot of Africans at war" he was quoted as saying. "But there's nobody to touch these people. Give me 10,000 Biafrans for six months, and we'll build an army that would be invincible on this continent. I've seen men die in this war who would have won the Victoria Cross in another context".[2]

Williams was assigned one hundred Biafran commandos in early 1968, and managed to keep two battalions of black mercenaries from Chad serving with the Federal Army at bay for twelve weeks using only the crudest of weapons.

Chad = Boko Haram outpost No.1
Re: Biafra And Scientific Development by DuduNegro: 11:22am On Feb 13, 2012
Williams found his Biafran troops to be completely different from those who he commanded in Katanga.

Katanga, where is that and which war? grin
Re: Biafra And Scientific Development by houvest: 11:33am On Feb 13, 2012
chukwuawka:

Ndiigbo can develop their homeland. Whatever else they have denied us, we still retain full control of the five south Eastern states. The five Igbo state governments could integrate the economies of these five states into a kind of Economic Union of Eastern Nigeria, with one central Planning/Management committee. Without Federal assistance, we can still turn this zone into the South Korea of Africa, in terms of economic and technological developments. We can do it. As individual states, we can not achieve much, but if we integrate the economies of our five states, we will be bigger and stronger than many wealthy nations of Europe and the far East. Most of those wealthy nations don't have oil so let's not bring oil into it. What they needed for their economic take off, and got, were great leaders. The combined resources of our five states, human and material, could take us to wherever we want to go. If only we know where we want to go. IF only we had leaders who know what to do with what we have. Our major problem, therefore is not maginalisation, but a failure of leadership. We need men who can take a leap of the imagination and initiate positive actions and programs that would bring Ndiigbo out of our present predicament. Right now Igbo are wandering, un-led and unguided, through the vast dangerous expanse of Nigeria wilderness. IF not so, how can we talk of 50 million hardworking, highly intelligent people being marginalised in a third world country like Nigeria. Ndiigbo are bigger than marginalisation.

I know that At the World Igbo Congress(WIC) of 2009 or 2008, such an economic plan was mapped out for the SE states. I do noy know how far they went to pursue its implementation. But it is the Biafra of the mind that Ikemba was talking about. If we cannot use the Biafra of the mind to develop the SE to an enviable level how can we demonstrate a future Biafra of territory? Thanks for your ideas. Please keep more coming. Different creative and constructive ideas are welcome for the survival and greatness of our people. We would analyse and synthesize all these and choose what is best for us.
Re: Biafra And Scientific Development by 9jaIhail(m): 11:39am On Feb 13, 2012
Onlytruth:

There is a little piece of "Ikemba" in every responsible Eastern Nigerian. All you need is to scracth the surface a little and there it is!

Well, I personally believe that we Ndigbo must FIRST acknowledge that we have deviated seriously CULTURALLY. How did we do that?
We copied the cultures of the groups that defeated us in the war. The war dealt us a SEVERE blow, and has led to a situation where our people started adopting strange ways of life.
Before the war, a rich Igbo man was HARDLY known. That is why no one really knew how rich Sir Lious Odumegwu Ojukwu (Ikemba's father) was. Yes they knew he had money, but they never really knew how much. The Igbo of those days never worshipped anyone with money. The men we respected (not worshipped!) were HONEST and DECENT men.
We ran thieves and dubious men out of town! ALL OF THEM.  angry cool

One of my uncles become the leader of one very important Igbo organization (won't mention name) even though he was virtually a poor man without a secondary school level education. In that organization, there were all types of rich men and Ph.ds and other professionals; but guess what, they all chose an HONEST man. Today that would be almost impossible!

Today, we praise men and call it "iti mkpu" or "Oti mkpu" (praise singer). We never had that in Igboland. Please you all should bear with me and follow me here, because I'm going somewhere with this "preaching".

Now, before, an average Igboman knew that the ONLY way to greatness are HONESTY and HARDWORK. That is how we produced the Achebes and all the great men of Eastern Nigeria. Today, most of us believe in short cuts. Do you know the type of hardwork that produce masterpieces, be they works of art or scientific invention?
I lament, because we the youths of Igboland have abandoned the ways which our fathers followed, which made them great. That is why we have MASSOB, but they cannot do anything other than allowing themselves to be killed willy nilly by trigger happy Nigerian policemen and army. Do you all think that our fathers of the 50s and 60s would tolerate a permanent police seige of Igboland without doing something about it? How do you all think our fathers were able to withstand the civil war for almost 3 years? Is it by "iti mkpu"? I'm laughing!  angry angry undecided

So, here me loud and clear:

NDIGBO MUST REJECT SELF AGGRANDIZEMENT ASAP!  angry cool

Today, our problem in Igboland are the Chiefs, Ph.ds, Doctors, Engineers, Lawyers and all types of titles which shield men from showing their individual achievements or prove their integrity before they are given positions of responsibility and leadership. This has to end before anyone takes us serious in Nigeria.

Recalling our achievement during the war is important, but what is more important is for us to honestly drop everything that would make it impossible for us to answer the call of defending ourselves and our children if need be. Self aggrandizement is a cancer that must be cut out of our land. TODAY!

Eze only truth your point is noted but i am impressed with the way our beloved brother chukwuawka is analyzing history and advices.Eze onlytruth may you live long
Re: Biafra And Scientific Development by 9jaIhail(m): 11:42am On Feb 13, 2012
houvest:

I know that At the World Igbo Congress(WIC) of 2009 or 2008, such an economic plan was mapped out for the SE states. I do noy know how far they went to pursue its implementation. But it is the Biafra of the mind that Ikemba was talking about. If we cannot use the Biafra of the mind to develop the SE to an enviable level how can we demonstrate a future Biafra of territory? Thanks for your ideas. Please keep more coming. Different creative and constructive ideas are welcome for the survival and greatness of our people. We would analyse and synthesize all these and choose what is best for us.

Thank God that you also find this analyzes sensible and a creative ideas that we can borrow from.bro keep the good job going.
Re: Biafra And Scientific Development by chukwuawka(m): 1:06pm On Feb 13, 2012
Land of the rising sun, we love and cherish,
Beloved homeland of our brave heroes;
We must defend our lives or we shall perish,
We shall protect our hearts from all our foes;
But if the price is death for all we hold dear,
Then let us die without a shred of fear.

Hail to Biafra, consecrated nation,
Oh fatherland, this be our solemn pledge:
Defending thee shall be a dedication,
Spilling our blood we’ll count a privilege;
The waving standard which emboldens the free
Shall always be our flag of liberty.

We shall emerge triumphant from this ordeal,
And through the crucible unscathed we’ll pass;
When we are poised the wounds of battle to heal,
We shall remember those who died in mass;
Then shall our trumpets peal the glorious song
Of victory we scored o’er might and wrong.

Oh God, protect us from the hidden pitfall,
Guide all our movements lest we go astray;
Give us the strength to heed the humanist call:
‘To give and not to count the cost" each day;
Bless those who rule to serve with resoluteness,
To make this clime a land of righteousness
Re: Biafra And Scientific Development by chukwuawka(m): 1:08pm On Feb 13, 2012
BIAFRAN NATIONAL ANTHEM,
Land of the rising sun, we love and cherish,
Beloved homeland of our brave heroes;
We must defend our lives or we shall perish,
We shall protect our hearts from all our foes;
But if the price is death for all we hold dear,
Then let us die without a shred of fear.

Hail to Biafra, consecrated nation,
Oh fatherland, this be our solemn pledge:
Defending thee shall be a dedication,
Spilling our blood we’ll count a privilege;
The waving standard which emboldens the free
Shall always be our flag of liberty.

We shall emerge triumphant from this ordeal,
And through the crucible unscathed we’ll pass;
When we are poised the wounds of battle to heal,
We shall remember those who died in mass;
Then shall our trumpets peal the glorious song
Of victory we scored o’er might and wrong.

Oh God, protect us from the hidden pitfall,
Guide all our movements lest we go astray;
Give us the strength to heed the humanist call:
‘To give and not to count the cost" each day;
Bless those who rule to serve with resoluteness,
To make this clime a land of righteousness
Re: Biafra And Scientific Development by chukwuawka(m): 1:18pm On Feb 13, 2012
Ndigbo, apart from their demographic weight are exceptionally resourceful as evidenced by their outstanding achievements in various fields of human endeavour both at home and abroad. Now is the time to put these impressive attributes to work and make the desired political impact at the national level, where team work is crucial for our collective success. Hence Ohanaeze Ndigbo, is putting great emphasis on uniting our people and guiding them towards a common political and economic agenda. The attainment of South-East presidency demands all hands on deck as it will not be handed over to Ndigbo on a platter of gold
Re: Biafra And Scientific Development by chukwuawka(m): 1:18pm On Feb 13, 2012
The increasing display of unity by South East Governors and other well-meaning Igbo sons and daughters in pursuit of a common political and economic agenda is a welcome step in this direction. The virtually unanimous Igbo support for President Jonathan at the elections of last April is an instructive evidence that our people are coming seriously together and can use their collective demographic weight to influence national affairs significantly. This is a healthy departure from the hitherto individualistic, rapacious and opportunistic approach prevalent amongst those struggling for political office in total disregard for collective legitimate Igbo interest at the national level.
Re: Biafra And Scientific Development by PROUDIGBO(m): 3:33pm On Feb 13, 2012
houvest:

^^^The economic intergration and centralized management of the South East economy is what i strongly believe in and i mentioned something similar when responding on a thread last year about a project going on in Imo State:

I feel that until we find some way to coordinate our individual private efforts at developing the south east, the numerous projects scattered all over the place would not make much of an impact. As a people, we need to see the bigger picture of pooling our resources together for the good of Ndigbo as a whole, and not just be concerned with sighting every and any project in our 'backyard' just to say that my village has this and that. Areas with comparative advantage with regards to different types of projects should be explored and the projects sited there as far as the place in question is in the south east.

Aba and Nnewi should be made the industrial hubs of the south east; Onitsha- the commercial hub; Enugu- should be the capital of Alaigbo with the sighting of entertainment, tourist and conferencing projects/facilities; Owerri and Oguta- also should be a tourist and entertainment centres.

Igbo sons and daughters with the financial means need to come together and carry out projects for better results. We need to think big and stop wanting to be the 'lord and oga' of it all. They could then source for extra funds from the stock market and also find ways of utilising the resources (human and financial) of Ndigbo in diaspora.

Opportunities abound for business, like for instance: coal and gas fired power plants; a world class Int'l Airport hotel in Enugu; Lakeside resorts in Oguta; Intergrated mass transportation for the south east, linking Port harcourt, Calabar and Asaba; fashion/textile industries in Aba; world class (kick-a*ss) shopping mall in Onitsha; rice farming in Ebonyi; etc. With all this, criminality will be vastly reduced and the gravitational pull to the south east would be irresitable for investors and those looking for work. All we need is someone with clout (like Soludo for instance) to coordinate and sell SOUTH EAST PLC to the rest of the world.

We need to put Alaigbo on the world map.

I hope we can soon move to the point of actually doing something, instead of talking about solutions all the time.
Re: Biafra And Scientific Development by houvest: 11:29pm On Feb 13, 2012
PROUD-IGBO:

^^^The economic intergration and centralized management of the South East economy is what i strongly believe in and i mentioned something similar when responding on a thread last year about a project going on in Imo State:

I hope we can soon move to the point of actually doing something, instead of talking about solutions all the time.

Thanks. Well people must continue talking untill thec ideas are actualised.
Re: Biafra And Scientific Development by Onlytruth(m): 11:42pm On Feb 13, 2012
9ja_I_hail:

Eze only truth your point is noted but i am impressed with the way our beloved brother chukwuawka is analyzing history and advices.Eze onlytruth may you live long

My brother, we all want what is best for Igboland. We have all been talking here, and we should continue talking, BUT that is all we've been doing in all the forums online.
We can still talk, but let us talk things that would lead to results on the ground, not just reharshing things we already know about ourselves. What about things we don't know about ourselves that may undermine all these dreams?

My main concern at this stage is that we should ask ourselves some honest questions; example, why are UNARMED MASSOB members being gunned down in Igboland without any consequences? Our people and politicians are going about their business as if our sons are not being killed unlawfully in our own land. This may seem little but if you think more carefully, you will see that it indicates something very debilitating and dangerous for Ndigbo. It indicates that we may have lost the courage that is necessary to fight for our survival as a people. So, my concern is that our people today are markedly different from our people described by Williams below:

zumbigbo:

Welsh mercenary

Williams found his Biafran troops to be completely different from those who he commanded in Katanga. "I've seen a lot of Africans at war" he was quoted as saying. "But there's nobody to touch these people. Give me 10,000 Biafrans for six months, and we'll build an army that would be invincible on this continent. I've seen men die in this war who would have won the Victoria Cross in another context".[2]

Williams was assigned one hundred Biafran commandos in early 1968, and managed to keep two battalions of black mercenaries from Chad serving with the Federal Army at bay for twelve weeks using only the crudest of weapons.

Chad = Boko Haram outpost No.1

The Biafrans that Williams describe is the only type that can get us what we want, whether inside Nigeria or in a Biafran nation. Maybe these types still exist, but the MASSOB type is damaging their psyche by allowing themselves to be killed carelessly in Igboland.

So, all the talks are good, but I stand with this my brother here:

PROUD-IGBO:

Here I stand!  cool cool cool
Re: Biafra And Scientific Development by Onlytruth(m): 11:48pm On Feb 13, 2012
Ojukwu's burial is around the corner, and MASSOB is gearing up to give him his final honor and respect. I won't be suprised if Nigerian security operatives choose this time again to shoot a few more MASSOB members, and our leaders will keep quiet again as usual.
I wonder whether our leaders understand the psychological impacts of these MASSOB member killings in Igboland on our youths. Soon our youths will start to think like cowards.
I will say it again, if MASSOB cannot protect its members and keep the Nigerian security at bay, it should disband immediately and allow another group take over the agitation for Biafra.

Everybody should warn his ward to stay away from MASSOB until they fix this nonsense of allowing their members to be killed without repercusions.

Nnunu isi akagh aka adighi aga ogu otukpokpo - a bird with a weak skull must never engage the woodpecker in a fight.  cool

MASSOB should shape up or ship out! hoha.  cool

1 Like

Re: Biafra And Scientific Development by DuduNegro: 3:32am On Feb 14, 2012
Welsh mercenary

Here is info on Taffy Williams. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taffy_Williams. You are quoting a man who lost two wars back to back. . . Katanga and Biafra. It does not matter how many men you provide Taffy, this was a looser! His job is to earn money, not to die for you, even though your own men are dying around him. Your Biafran men are more credible and trustworthy than this Williams you quoted. He was part of Apartheid South Africa, why didn't he build an invincible army in South Africa? Read his profile and notice the lie about standing upright in a open jeep and driven round under the barrage of firepower from Federal Troops to prove his body's immunity to bullets. Why is wikipage devoted to telling the story and bravery of a mercenary but silent on Biafran bravery? Where is the story of your brave men riding around in open jeep and brushing off bullets?
Re: Biafra And Scientific Development by Onlytruth(m): 3:46am On Feb 14, 2012
Dudu_Negro:

Here is info on Taffy Williams.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taffy_Williams.  You are quoting a man who lost two wars back to back. . . Katanga and Biafra.  It does not matter how many men you provide Taffy, this was a looser!  His job is to earn money, not to die for you, even though your own men are dying around him.  Your Biafran men are more credible and trustworthy than this Williams you quoted.  He was part of Apartheid South Africa, why didn't he build an invincible army in South Africa?  Read his profile and notice the lie about standing upright in a open jeep and driven round under the barrage of firepower from Federal Troops to prove his body's immunity to bullets.  Why is wikipage devoted to telling the story and bravery of a mercenary but silent on Biafran bravery?  Where is the story of your brave men riding around in open jeep and brushing off bullets? 

Mr man which of the statements about Biafran bravery are you disputing?
Are you disputing that mere 100 Biafran commandos were able to stand their grounds against two batallions of "gwodo gwodo" (Chadian) Nigerians?

This is another quote saying exactly the same thing:

[b]At this point he had 1000 soldiers under his command which [size=14pt]threw themselves head first [/size]against two Federal Battalions which had crossed the Imo River Bridge with Soviet advisers. For three days their light machine guns and repeater rifles did not stop. [/b]When Williams returned to Aba for additional ammunition to continue the fight, he was told that there was simply none to be had.

That was the mettle of the Biafrans, who were only slowed down by poor supply of weapons.

I am very proud of my fathers.  cool They were REAL men. Learn to live with it!  undecided

I'm only worrying about Igbo youths of today.  sad

1 Like

Re: Biafra And Scientific Development by DuduNegro: 5:16am On Feb 14, 2012
So you admit then that this looser that was paid to command Biafran army was less skilled in warfare than the people he led to their death while he himself escaped with his life? If he was that immuned to bullets why did he run when he was cornered?
Re: Biafra And Scientific Development by Onlytruth(m): 5:25am On Feb 14, 2012
Dudu_Negro:

So you admit then that this looser that was paid to command Biafran army was less skilled in warfare than the people he led to their death while he himself escaped with his life? If he was that immuned to bullets why did he run when he was cornered?

The man was a MECENARY. He was paid to fight. The war was not his, so why MUST he die when the war was already lost?
You are mixing issues again trying to obsfucate the main point which is that Biafrans were very brave in the war.
The man's bravery was never under discourse here, but I would guess that a man who LED mere 100 men against two batallions must be a very brave man. cool
Your attempts to destroy his "legacy" is invidious.
Re: Biafra And Scientific Development by DuduNegro: 6:29am On Feb 14, 2012
what legacy is that, loosing two wars back to back? or fleeing from Katanga to Biafra and then fleeing Biafra back to South Africa?

Loosers and AWOLs are not qualified to tell us about bravery, their words land narrative of war lack credibility.
Re: Biafra And Scientific Development by Onlytruth(m): 6:55am On Feb 14, 2012
Dudu_Negro:

what legacy is that, loosing two wars back to back? or fleeing from Katanga to Biafra and then fleeing Biafra back to South Africa?

Loosers and AWOLs are not qualified to tell us about bravery, their words land narrative of war lack credibility.

So, you honestly expect a mecenary to win YOUR war for you? lol
Keep hoping!
The man's point is well taken. Everything else is irrelevant. cool
Re: Biafra And Scientific Development by DuduNegro: 7:14am On Feb 14, 2012
So, you honestly expect a mecenary to win YOUR war for you? lol

. . . A man of integrity does not earn a living by becoming soldier of fortune. If his spirit is driven purely for the profits and spoils of war, then his accounts of that war is equally driven by ambitions for earning an illicit living. In absence of supporting corroborations submitted by men of integrity, all his narratives must be thoroughly audited and taken through a process of credibility test.

Williams's account of the Katanga and Biafran fronts, despite its endearing sentiment, lack credibility.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Smoked Fish Factory In Adazi-Nnukwu, Anambra / TCN Locks Out Workers In Abuja / N50m Disbursed To 24 Youths In Anambra (pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 119
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.