Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,184,744 members, 7,924,398 topics. Date: Sunday, 18 August 2024 at 12:10 PM

Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (4977) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion (9063793 Views)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 / Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 / Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (4974) (4975) (4976) (4977) (4978) (4979) (4980) ... (14305) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by SIRcumalot: 7:12am On Dec 30, 2017
I think Ukaku should put on a few weight maybe it will help him hold up play.
I already think his abnormally fastmfor someone that size so if he shaved off small speed to gain strength just as long as it result in better hold up play. That na fair trade to Me.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by diggz: 7:31am On Dec 30, 2017
Nihilist:

I personally believe that Mourinho might have lost his touch. I suspect that this job might be his penultimate big job in club football.

I used to disagree a lot with nateevs when he used to disparage the man, because when you look at his history, you will find record breaking attacking football in his catalogue.

Jose wouls usually play expansive football up to a point, bookended by games of mors pragmatic football.

Today as i was driving, i heard on radio that mourinho was worried that Lukaku has been working out too much in the gym and has put on a fair bit of muscle...which may have led to him losing some pace.

Sometime during the last decade, the pace of the game has changed a lot. The big bruisers of the yesteryear are gone. You cant see anybody with roberto carlos type of thighs anymore. You cant see defenders that look like micah richards or oguchi onyewu anymore.

The players have shed that muscle and become lighter, faster...even shorter.

.The physique has changed greatly and many of these footballers could very easily be long distance runners. Kante and Firmino easily come to mind. If you look at Leroy sane's body shape too, the guy literally moves like a ballet dancer. I remember watching him doing his stretches and warm up at Wembley last season ahead of the FA cup semifinal and the guy literally moved like a cat.

Mourinho traditionally has always trusted in big strong burly lads. From Drogba to Essien to Matic and Lukaku, powerful men have always been central to his game plan.

This season alone, i read somewhere that Jose already has the tallest squad in the league.

Well what if, a game plan that is so dependent on height, mass and power cannot compete with opponents who are smaller, faster, more agile and boast more stamina?

What if the same bus tactics that used to work so well is failing because top level opponebts can simply run rings around Mourinhos giants?

What if the likes of Lukaku are really piling on the muscle and now struggling to cover distance quickly?

I dont know the answers to these questions...plus im high as fück!

Kawa....! cheesy cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by PietroRico(m): 7:32am On Dec 30, 2017
Nihilist:

I personally believe that Mourinho might have lost his touch. I suspect that this job might be his penultimate big job in club football.

I used to disagree a lot with nateevs when he used to disparage the man, because when you look at his history, you will find record breaking attacking football in his catalogue.

Jose wouls usually play expansive football up to a point, bookended by games of mors pragmatic football.

Today as i was driving, i heard on radio that mourinho was worried that Lukaku has been working out too much in the gym and has put on a fair bit of muscle...which may have led to him losing some pace.

Sometime during the last decade, the pace of the game has changed a lot. The big bruisers of the yesteryear are gone. You cant see anybody with roberto carlos type of thighs anymore. You cant see defenders that look like micah richards or oguchi onyewu anymore.

.The physique has changed greatly and many of these footballers could very easily be long distance runners. Kante and Firmino easily come to mind. If you look at Leroy sane's body shape too, the guy literally moves like a ballet dancer. I remember watching him doing his stretches and warm up at Wembley last season ahead of the FA cup semifinal and the guy literally moved like a cat.

Mourinho traditionally has always trusted in big strong burly lads. From Drogba to Essien to Matic and Lukaku, powerful men have always been central to his game plan.

This season alone, i read somewhere that Jose already has the tallest squad in the league.

Well what if, a game plan that is so dependent on height, mass and power cannot compete with opponents who are smaller, faster, more agile and boast more stamina?

What if the same bus tactics that used to work so well is failing because top level opponebts can simply run rings around Mourinhos giants?

What if the likes of Lukaku are really piling on the muscle and now struggling to cover distance quickly?

if na well thought out essay like this person dey see here, discussions for dey more interesting.

Not the agenda fueled generic nonsense that everyone spews at the slightest opportunity.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by PietroRico(m): 7:39am On Dec 30, 2017
I'm beginning to see more and more Mourinho quotes where he is hinting that he doesn't have as much free hand to chop and change as he wishes because money is limited.

I just want to hope he is taking this position so when he goes for players they don't tax us like the way boli women do to men that park g wagon to make purchase.
This has been an annoying feature of our last few transfer negotiations.

Wenger once said there is now 2 transfer markets, one for big clubs and the other for others, but United have been operating in an even more difficult third market largely because of our 'you know say money no be problem' body positioning.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by odizeey(m): 7:41am On Dec 30, 2017
PietroRico:
if na well thought out essay like this person dey see here, discussions for dey more interesting.

Not the agenda fueled generic nonsense that everyone spews at the slightest opportunity.
go to your dictionary and look for the word opinion.

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by PietroRico(m): 7:41am On Dec 30, 2017
Either that or the man is growing tired and setting himself up against the board with his unending moans.
I don't see this ending well for him.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by PietroRico(m): 7:45am On Dec 30, 2017
odizeey:
go to your dictionary and look for the word opinion.
opinions can be smart or dumb.
They can be right or wrong.
I could be of the opinion right now that you don't have sense, if I begin to quote you everyday just to tell you without any logical reason.. At the very least you go tire for me and it will get to a point where you will try to get me to shut up eventually.

4 Likes

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by odizeey(m): 8:05am On Dec 30, 2017
PietroRico:
opinions can be smart or dumb.
They can be right or wrong.
I could be of the opinion right now that you don't have sense, if I begin to quote you everyday just to tell you without any logical reason.. At the very least you go tire for me and it will get to a point where you will try to get me to shut up eventually.
so who here has said someone does not have sense. All I see here are 3 different opinions : Mourinho out, Mourinho stay and the neutrals.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by PietroRico(m): 8:05am On Dec 30, 2017
odizeey:
so who here has said someone does not have sense. All I see here are 3 different opinions : Mourinho out, Mourinho stay and the neutrals.
facepalm
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by dubylhover(m): 8:24am On Dec 30, 2017
PietroRico:
facepalm
grin grin grin
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 8:47am On Dec 30, 2017
raumdeuter:

The Sterling after he met Pep or the one before Pep?

Apart from goals, Sterling was this good while at Liverpool. When he played with Suarez and Sturridge.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 8:48am On Dec 30, 2017
hardeycute:
Sterling is benefitting from a good team set up like the one he enjoyed with Suarez,Sturridge and Coutinho under Brendan Rodgers before his transfer to City.
Player tendency to improve is related to Coach's tactics and the player desire to justify his selection in the team.Increase in his numbers is due to a system that has favoured him.

Wow!

I didn't know you already responded with same answer.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by PietroRico(m): 9:01am On Dec 30, 2017
Martial trained, I hope he starts. The same back line minus Rojo should do. Rojo since his return from injury has been at his spastic worst
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 9:07am On Dec 30, 2017
Nihilist:

Good article here.

But football change. There are a times a team with small players dominate, some other time it just shift. If it were possible to bring back Mourinho's Chelsea team of 2005/2006, they would still dominate today and give no single room for opposition to threaten. There are big players with quality. Lukaku doesn’t have Drogba's match winning quality. Lukaku is not even as strong and balance as Drogba.

Michael Essien at his peak would qualify for an Olympic sprinter, unlike Matic who plays in the speed of a snail. Essien was very agile too and could go into a quick sliding tackle. He could also play a center defence like it was its natural position. Remember when Ghana beat Nigeria with their centre defender sent off, and Essien had to fill in and became MOTM. Lampard had goal scoring sense from outside the box,unlike Mata, Lingard and Mkhitaryan. He won some matches with late goals from long range shots. Ballack was a tough guy. Terry was one of the best the world. Same with Cole.

The weakly in the that team were Joe Cole who if around today may be like Lingard.

I think sometimes, a coach just assembles a winning team able to play his style. That was what happened when Senegal were solid in 2002, very tall, strong and quick players. In 1992-1993, Ivory Coast had these small players with quick movement, but our Super Eagles with giant players find a way to dominate them by surrendering the midfield to the Ivorians while using speed, long passes to finish them.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by CapitalCee(m): 9:19am On Dec 30, 2017
elampiro:

Good article here.

But football change. There are a times a team with small players dominate, some other time it just shift. If it were possible to bring back Mourinho's Chelsea team of 2005/2006, they would still dominate today and give no single room for opposition to threaten. There are big players with quality. Lukaku doesn’t have Drogba's match winning quality. Lukaku is not even as strong and balance as Drogba.

Michael Essien at his peak would qualify for an Olympic sprinter, unlike Matic who plays in the speed of a snail. Essien was very agile too and could go into a quick sliding tackle. He could also play a center defence like it was its natural position. Remember when Ghana beat Nigeria with their centre defender sent off, and Essien had to fill in. Lampard had goal scoring sense from outside the box,unlike Mata, Lingard and Mkhitaryan. He won some matches with late goals from long range shots. Ballack was a tough guy. Terry was one of the best the world. Same with Cole.

The weakly in the that team were Joe Cole who if around today may be like Lingard.

I think sometimes, a coach just assembles a winning team able to play his style. That was what happened when Senegal were solid in 2002, very tall, strong and quick players. In 1992-1993, Ivory Coast had these small players with quick movement, but our Super Eagles with giant players find a way to dominate them by surrendering the midfield to the Ivorians while using speed, long passes to finish them.

Even the much fabled fergie team where very good. The backline of Ferdinand, Vidic, Evra and G.Neville is far far better any one in the league today. Then there is a midfield of Carrick, J.S Park ,Giggs and Scholes with Ronaldo, Rooney and Tevez in Attack. If fergie had average players he will still struggle as he did sometimes that fans where even calling for his sack.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by CapitalCee(m): 9:24am On Dec 30, 2017
elampiro:

Good article here.

Michael Essien at his peak would qualify for an Olympic sprinter, unlike Matic who plays in the speed of a snail. Essien was very agile too and could go into a quick sliding tackle. He could also play a center defence like it was its natural position. Remember when Ghana beat Nigeria with their centre defender sent off, and Essien had to fill in and became MOTM. Lampard had goal scoring sense from outside the box,unlike Mata, Lingard and Mkhitaryan. He won some matches with late goals from long range shots. Ballack was a tough guy. Terry was one of the best the world. Same with Cole.

That Bruno Metsu Senegal team of 2002 and the 1994 Super Eagles were the best Africa has put out in the world cup. Tony Sylva, Omar Daf, Ferdinand Coly, Aliou Cisse, Lamine Diatta, Bouba Diop, Henri Camera, Elhadji Diouf, Salif Diao and Khalilou Fadiga. bad team

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 9:28am On Dec 30, 2017
CapitalCee:

Even the much fabled fergie team where very good. The backline of Ferdinand, Vidic, Evra and G.Neville is far far better any one in the league today. Then there is a midfield of Carrick, J.S Park ,Giggs and Scholes with Ronaldo, Rooney and Tevez in Attack. If fergie had average players he will still struggle as he did sometimes that fans where even calling for his sack.

I think there is this panic right now about the great success of the City team. I actually think everything has its time and season. We should not out of panic go to buy players £150m that fans will start insulting if they enter ghost mood in matches. Mourinho should stick to his plans and buy players that can play his football. But the right wing should be given priority.

Strong players are still good if they can be found, look at Bailly. If he were around, I am sure we would be more stable playing from the back. Would Bailly fall like the way Rojo fell against Burnley?

Another thing is United has a separate transfer window. Which makes it hard for Woodward to buy players identified by the manager. If Mourinho had said, get me "Gabriel Jesus", the transfer price of Gabriel Jesus automatically becomes £100m

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by raumdeuter: 9:44am On Dec 30, 2017
elampiro:

I think there is this panic right now about the great success of the City team. I actually think everything has its time and season. We should not out of panic go to buy players £150m that fans will start insulting if they enter ghost mood in matches. Mourinho should stick to his plans and buy players that can play his football. But the right wing should be given priority.

What is this Mourinho plan other than to spend more money?

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 9:58am On Dec 30, 2017
raumdeuter:

and park the bus against any decent team.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Oasis007(m): 10:04am On Dec 30, 2017
"If, next summer, we are going to sign a midfield player, it's to replace Michael Carrick and Michael is a phenomenal player that, this season, he couldn't give us anything at all.

"He's in the end of his career so if, next summer, we buy a midfield player, it's not to improve our squad - it's to replace Michael Carrick. So, to improve our squad in the midfield, we would need to buy two."

- JOSE MOURINHO
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Oasis007(m): 10:07am On Dec 30, 2017
"I have the backing of the club and the first backing of the club I had was a three-year contract where everybody knows the job was not easy.

"And we all know that we invest a lot, so when you invest as much as we did, it wouldn't be very fair for me to say the club didn't support, the club didn't want to help. It would be very unfair, which is not me."

- JOSE MOURINHO
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Oasis007(m): 10:08am On Dec 30, 2017
"The club invested a lot of money. The problem is not the money we invest, the problem is the money the others invest and it is the problem that others with better squads, with better stability, with more options, they keep investing and that's the only problem because, for example, we bought a striker in the summer - a very good striker [Romelu Lukaku] - but that good striker was to replace Zlatan [Ibrahimovic].

"It was not to be him and Zlatan in the best of their form from day one. We signed [Victor] Lindelof. We didn't have Marcos Rojo [at the start of the season]. We had problems, so when we are signing players in the last two years, it's to replace people."

- JOSE MOURINHO
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Oasis007(m): 10:09am On Dec 30, 2017
"You think the club can put here now £600million and let's buy six players of £100million? The club cannot do that. I cannot expect the club to do that, so it's not critical and you can see how the market is, especially with the top teams.

"But, you know, without taking any credit away from Manchester City and Pep [Guardiola] and his staff and the players, they obviously have lots of credit in what they are doing.

"But Pep arrives, he has the goalkeeper of England [Joe Hart], he doesn't like him so he buys the goalkeeper of Barcelona [Claudio Bravo], he doesn't like him so he buys another one [Ederson]. Now he likes."

- JOSE MOURINHO
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Oasis007(m): 10:10am On Dec 30, 2017
"He has [Pablo] Zabaleta and [Aleksandar] Kolarov - two very good players but more than 30 years old. He wants to replace, he doesn't replace with two, he replaces with three.

"One from Tottenham [Kyle Walker], one from Monaco [Benjamin Mendy] and one from Real Madrid [Danilo] as an example. Can we buy six or seven players at the same time?

"Can we invest £600-700million? No. So, it's difficult. I think the last years, the market is going in such a direction or you belong to one of these clubs where there is no limit and you just buy what you want and there is no limit, there is no financial fair play, there is nothing, you do what you want - or it's hard."

- JOSE MOURINHO
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Oasis007(m): 10:12am On Dec 30, 2017
"Is it possible [to compete]? Yes, it's possible and sometimes if you don't have that financial - I don't say potential because potentially we have that, as a club, but not that profile of club where there are no limits and the only thing that matters is to get the best. Even with that, there is only one way which is patience and calm and time. 

"I think, next season, we are going to get two or three more players. We are going to lose also two or three. If you can try to anticipate, you can more or less see that it's normal that this is going to happen. It's not going to happen - a dramatic change and a dramatic improvement - but in time, step by step, with some balance, we have to do it. 

- JOSE MOURINHO
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Oasis007(m): 10:13am On Dec 30, 2017
"But I think this was the feeling that, for example, Jurgen [Klopp] had when he arrived at Liverpool where he trusted a lot of his quality as a good coach that he is. He trusted his work a lot, he told a few words and I think now he realizes that it's not enough to be champions, to win the Champions League, to win trophies.

"He needs more, so now you can see Liverpool with Naby Keita that they have already done for the next summer, with Virgil van Dijk now, a player who can also play in the Champions League, now they realize they have to go to the same levels of the crazy market because if they offer £40 million, Southampton won't sell the player. It's as simple as that, so that's the reality. 

- JOSE MOURINHO
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Oasis007(m): 10:22am On Dec 30, 2017
"You have to believe in the work and in the time and don't stop to invest. But some clubs invest with limits and some clubs they invest with a little bit more balance than others that go absolutely strong in the market.

"What Paris Saint-Germain did this season with Neymar and [Kylian] Mbappe - they get two of probably the four best attacking players in the world. They get two at the same time and then players like [Angel] Di Maria, [Julian] Draxler, [Javier] Pastore, Lucas [Moura], they are second choices."

- JOSE MOURINHO
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by ReLaTE(m): 10:23am On Dec 30, 2017
EPL: Guardiola would have won title with Man United – Carragher blasts Mourinho

dailypost.ng

Dec 30, 2017 8:08 AM

Former Liverpool defender, Jamie Carragher, has said Pep Guardiola would win the Premier League if he had the Manchester United squad at his disposal.

The Manchester City manager is 15 points ahead of United on top of the table.

Writing in his column for The Telegraph, Carragher said: “In the past he might have earned sympathy. Not now.

“Not at one of the world’s richest clubs when you have outspent most of Europe and the only way to keep up with your greatest rival is to match him on the training pitch and with shrewder management.”

Carragher went on to discuss the major differences in Mourinho and Guardiola’s approach, with the former looking to sign ready-made superstars and the latter willing to turn young players into superstars.

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Oasis007(m): 10:24am On Dec 30, 2017
"So money makes a difference and I remember my times from my first Chelsea period where everybody was saying that the money was making a difference, so I don't think it changes. I think money makes a difference but I also ask never to misinterpret my words against my club or say that my club doesn't support, my club doesn't want to spend because my club spends. 

"My club, two years ago, paid a lot of money for Paul [Pogba]. Last year, they paid a lot of money for Lukaku and I'm sure, next year, they are also going to pay a lot of money for one player. But we are doing these things with some balance because it's the profile of the club. We do it with some balance."

- JOSE MOURINHO
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by ReLaTE(m): 10:27am On Dec 30, 2017
ReLaTE:
EPL: Guardiola would have won title with Man United – Carragher blasts Mourinho

dailypost.ng

Dec 30, 2017 8:08 AM

Former Liverpool defender, Jamie Carragher, has said Pep Guardiola would win the Premier League if he had the Manchester United squad at his disposal.

The Manchester City manager is 15 points ahead of United on top of the table.

Writing in his column for The Telegraph, Carragher said: “In the past he might have earned sympathy. Not now.

“Not at one of the world’s richest clubs when you have outspent most of Europe and the only way to keep up with your greatest rival is to match him on the training pitch and with shrewder management.”

Carragher went on to discuss the major differences in Mourinho and Guardiola’s approach, with the former looking to sign ready-made superstars and the latter willing to turn young players into superstars.

Tell them, I have always mention it and I said it in my last post here that Guardiola will perform wonders with our players while Mourinho will do damage with City players at his disposal.
Our problem is the manager not the players.

2 Likes

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by stinkmeaner: 10:41am On Dec 30, 2017
Wetin concern mou and man city buys for phuck[color=#006600][/color]s sake??every press conference na so so guardiola yarns everywhere.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 10:52am On Dec 30, 2017
raumdeuter:

You are now sounding like a hater. How will people take your analysis serious again? You see everything as Guardiola vs Mourinho

Mourinho has his brand of football, he can buy players to fit in. Bailly, Valencia are typical Mourinho type of players. We might add Jones and Matic. We have to observe Luke Shaw too.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (4974) (4975) (4976) (4977) (4978) (4979) (4980) ... (14305) (Reply)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021

Viewing this topic: Jodera and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.