Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,181,742 members, 7,915,060 topics. Date: Thursday, 08 August 2024 at 03:47 PM

Is This True About Sanusi (sls) Or A Tale Of The Old Witch? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is This True About Sanusi (sls) Or A Tale Of The Old Witch? (5009 Views)

Is This True About Our Minister Of Finance, Kemi Adeosun? / Femi Fani Kayode Replies Sls / Subsidies: Sls Replies Critics. A Must Read (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is This True About Sanusi (sls) Or A Tale Of The Old Witch? by Jarus(m): 8:04pm On Feb 16, 2012
Maybe your eyes missed my post #19
Re: Is This True About Sanusi (sls) Or A Tale Of The Old Witch? by sheyguy: 8:35pm On Feb 16, 2012
Post no. 19 does not give any interpretation to the quote highlighted within it.
Re: Is This True About Sanusi (sls) Or A Tale Of The Old Witch? by marvix(m): 8:45pm On Feb 16, 2012
Jarus as you can see its not an easy task defending anyone, I am fed up with the Nigerians who have access to the social media, there are so many half baked graduates and educated illiterates parading them selves as activists and social commentators, facebook and all other social media may do us more harm than good, someone said GEJ was voted just on ethnic and religious reasons and I ask did he lose all d states in d north did Muslims not vote for him also, The same pple who cant stand Jonathan are d same pple who hate SLS with a passion, I am fed up with the way we criminalise individuals who are in positions of authority, we never like or believe our leaders, SLS saved ordinary Nigerians in his intervention in d banking sector but pple choose to cry ova bankas dat lost their jobs and bank owners that lost their banks, in the Soludo era the banking sector kept growing and was robust but d real sector was dwindling and not making progress, to real economists this was an abnomaly, Banks were involved in a lot of sharp practises and were complicit in d corruption that was going on in the Obj era, banks were just deposit centres keeping govt funds that were supposed to be used to pay contractors and workers salaries, I worked in a bank for abt 2yrs as a fresh graduate and it was sickening wat was d big deal earning big bucks only to wake up every day to seek customers to kip money in d bank, what is d nonsense called marketing in a bank, pple earing N100k in a service sector are better off dan bankers earnin N500k, Sanusi is not a perfect man but then should we crucify him for openly voicing his opinions
Re: Is This True About Sanusi (sls) Or A Tale Of The Old Witch? by RoadStar: 4:25am On Feb 17, 2012
@Jarus can you please go throught the original report from and interview granted by Sanusi and tell me your own interpretation.

Nigerian central banker calls for end to imbalances

Attempts to redress historic grievances in Nigeria’s oil-rich south may inadvertently have helped create the conditions for the Islamic insurgency spreading from the impoverished north-east of the country, says Lamido Sanusi, Nigeria’s central bank governor.
In the past year, the Boko Haram sect has been responsible for proliferating attacks on churches, police stations and other state targets. Last week, it claimed responsibility for multiple bomb blasts which claimed nearly 200 lives in t e northern city of Kano. The size and sophistication of the attacks underlined fears that the conflict is spiralling out of control.

“There is clearly a direct link between the very uneven nature of distribution of resources and the rising level of violence,” Mr Sanusi told the Financial Times in an interview, arguing that it was now necessary to focus funds on regenerating other regions if Nigeria wants to secure long-term stability.
Oil-producing areas in the predominantly Christian south benefit from 13 per cent of the revenues generated from oil in their area, on top of the federal allocations they and other states receive. As world oil prices have risen over the past decade, this has led to a widening gulf in income between oil-producing states and those without oil. The commercial capital Lagos, which raises 75 per cent of its own revenue from taxes, is the exception.

This formula was introduced after the military relinquished power in 1999 among a series of measures aimed at redressing historic grievances among those living closest to the oil and quelling a conflict that was jeopardising output.
But by seeking to address one problem, Nigeria may have created another, weakening other states in the federation and fostering resentment in the poorest region which has spawned the Boko Haram sect.
[b]“When you look at the figures and look at the size of the population in the north you can see there is a structural imbalance of enormous proportions,” Mr Sanusi said. “Those states simply do not have enough money to meet basic needs while some states have too much money.”
According to official figures, the leading oil producing state, Rivers, received N1,053bn between 1999 and 2008 in federal allocations. By contrast the north-eastern states of Yobe and Borno, where the Boko Haram sect was created, received N175bn and N213bn respectively. Broken down on a per capita basis, the contrast is even starker. In 2008 the 18.97m people who lived in the six states in the north-east received on average N1,156 per person.
By contrast Rivers state was allocated N3,965 per capita, and on average the oil producing South- South region received on average N3,332 per capita.
This imbalance is compounded when the cost of an amnesty programme for militants in the delta is included together with an additional 1 per cent for a special development body for the Niger delta. To boot, the theft of oil by profiteers in the region diverts tens of millions more weekly from federal coffers.
The imbalance is so stark, he added, because the state still depends on oil for more than 80 per cent of its revenues. Nigeria has made little headway raising taxes for example from agriculture, which accounts for 42 per cent of GDP.[/b]
Inhabitants of the delta tend to have little sympathy with complaints about the revenue formula, given that Nigeria was ruled and at times plundered for much of the four decades after independence by northern leaders. Indeed, state governors from the region are now lobbying for an even greater share of oil revenues – in some cases they believe it should be as high as 50 per cent.
Northern Nigeria’s economy has traditionally depended on the government more than the south. Many of the industries set up as part of earlier efforts to promote national balance have gone bust or been sold off during a decade of liberal market reforms, power shortages and infrastructure collapse.
The north’s inhabitants, although more numerous, are also among the poorest in Africa, and therefore represent a less attractive market for the banks, telecoms and retail companies booming in pockets of comparative affluence in Nigeria’s south. “We now need some sort of Marshall plan for these areas so we can begin to regenerate industrialisation,” Mr Sanusi argued.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/02ce9e7e-4837-11e1-b1b4-00144feabdc0.html#axzz1mba8xbOH
Re: Is This True About Sanusi (sls) Or A Tale Of The Old Witch? by RoadStar: 4:43am On Feb 17, 2012
Jarus:

Has anybodt said it is an excuse? SLS never gave it as excuse or justification, neither did Clinton.
Explaining something is not giving excuse for it.
By the way, I don't hold that opinion, mind you.
sheyguy:

Post no. 19 does not give any interpretation to the quote highlighted within it.
One of the major drivers in this discussion is the fact that Sanusi had linked Terrosim by BH to poverty in the North and has as well linked Poverty in the North to wealth distribution/ even going a long way to imply unfavourable revenue sharing to the Christian south which has impoverished the north. Thereby creating an indirect link between Revenue sharing and terrorism.

Sanusi has mischievously attempted to paint a very innacurate picture puting all the southern states in one basket in the eyes of foreign media, knowing fully well that a majority of southern states are not oil producing and hence do not benefit from oil derivation.

Whether u want to call it an explanation, excuse or whatever, how can you explain the fact that other regions like the SE which have historically been allocated less that the north and is still being allocated less till date has not resorted to terrorism.
How can he explain that the same SE has a far less poverty incidence that all northern states.

How has he not seen any links between the very appalling standard of education in the North even by Nigerias standards having something to do with poverty.
Everyone elsewhere in the world knows that there is a direct link between education and wealth creation except that Sanusi cannot see this very obvious link.

Saying that Sanusi position is not yours is not enough, which takes me to my last question
ARE YOU WITH SLS ON THIS ONE OR NOT ? Please no verbosity !
Re: Is This True About Sanusi (sls) Or A Tale Of The Old Witch? by Beaf: 6:02am On Feb 17, 2012
@Jarus

It is wrong to defend Sanusi by avoiding straight answers to questions and attacking the person of Eghes. Its all circular and we are still exactly where we started.

I ma really curious about the accusation that Sanusi was involved in the Akaluka beheading. It is even more curious that there are claims that he was actually locked away for two years as a result, yet he has only made threats to sue for libel against a person who is only too happy to defend his deafening allegations before the court of law.
Threats to sue for libel against such planet shifting revelations can only be seen as a weak response.

We require concrete proof from Sanusi to show that he was a free man for the entire period of two years Eghes claims he was locked away for. We need things like; verifiable meetings he attended, verifiable public fora he attended, verifiable documents he signed, verifiable photo's he took etc.
As someone who speaks of being a personal friend to Sanusi, surely you can provide some of these instead of the shaky arguments?
Re: Is This True About Sanusi (sls) Or A Tale Of The Old Witch? by Jarus(m): 7:10am On Feb 17, 2012
@ Roadstar,
If you think Sanusi is the one that used 'Christian South' in the article, then there is no way I can help you. It has only shown your unfamiliarity with the way international media classify Nigeria. The word 'Christian South' was not a direct quote of SLS and it is well known that that's how international media classify Nigeria: Muslim North, Christian South.

Here are Sanusi's direct quotes in the interview:

“There is clearly a direct link between the very uneven nature of distribution of resources and the rising level of violence,”
“When you look at the figures and look at the size of the population in the north you can see there is a structural imbalance of enormous proportions,” Mr Sanusi said. “Those states simply do not have enough money to meet basic needs while some states have too much money.”

Christian South came in in the FT's further analysis, as foreign media do in all their writings on Nigeria.

Now, that said, my defence of SLS is never because I agree totally with his poverty-violence theory, but because of the exaggerated and hypocritical cries that followed it by Nigerians because the man that said it is Sanusi. Bill Clinton has independently said same thing in his recent interview, rather what I hear from Nigerians is: I concur! How hypocritical! Whether you like it or not, poverty bears relationship with violence. And no less a researcher than nobel prize winner in Economics, Amartya Sen, has buttressed it. On a personal level, I believe a few religious fundamentalists caused this, that poverty further fueled it cannot be wished away. Sanusi is a Central Bank Governor and Economist speaking to an international media as such and his perspective will largely be economic.

What interpretation do you want? That Sanusi is BH abi? The statement is clear enough: he said poverty and inequality bred violence in the North.
Re: Is This True About Sanusi (sls) Or A Tale Of The Old Witch? by Jarus(m): 7:17am On Feb 17, 2012
As for you, Beaf.
The burden of proof lies in the 'accuser'. It is not about claiming something. Everybody can claim anything. But provide hard facts, maybe prison records, or more easily, newspaper cuttings to show it happened, after all such a thing cannot happen without it being reported in the media.

I have presented what SLS was doing and where he was from 1983 to date. He was in Khartoum University 1992-1997. Prove otherwise, after all, the Toronto goers were exposed.

The burden is on you to first prove your assertions with hard facts.
Re: Is This True About Sanusi (sls) Or A Tale Of The Old Witch? by RoadStar: 9:40am On Feb 17, 2012
@Jarus, I cannot understand why u keep hiding behind pres. Clintons comments.
Bill Clinton like SLS might be right on the fact that poverty is fueling the violence in the north. We all know that.

But bill clinton never insinuated that the poverty was caused by unequal revenue allocation/resource sharing. (That is were I and most Nigerians have issues with Sanusis comments)

Many commentators over the years have highlighted that the major cause of poverty in the north and widening inequality when compared to their southern counterparts is the high level of illiteracy in the north. A man/woman who cannot read/write will not be able to do a lot.
Soludo had asserted to the fact in a speech he gave in kaduna while he was CBN governor.
Where he wondered how one state in the SE (Imo state) can produce more JAMB applicants (Pupils willing to go to University) than the 16 states in highly populated North.
Soludo even in that speech compared the poverty rate in Northern states to that in the SE (which is on even less allocation compared to the north) and which was faring far better on a per capita level.

In that speech Soludo berated Nothern governments for their lack of a proper policy on education
He also scolded  Northern elites for showing little interest to invest in their local economies.
All this he did knowing fully well that he could face a backlash for those comments. He ended up paying the price.
But the truth has to be said.

For SLS to turn a blind eye to the very obvious fact and allude that the poverty in the north was caused by 13% to oil producing states is a travesty of the highest order.
It is mischievousness deceitful and lacks intellectual content.

I never said that Sanusi is BH, and stop picking issues on things like whether he meant Christian south or not, all I am saying that his comments are very misleading,irresponsible, simplistic and unbecoming of the cbn governor.

You musn't back the guy all the way, he has done some good deeds but in this one, he is doing a disservice to both Nigeria and the Northern Nigeria.
Re: Is This True About Sanusi (sls) Or A Tale Of The Old Witch? by Beaf: 9:53am On Feb 17, 2012
Jarus:

As for you, Beaf.
The burden of proof lies in the 'accuser'. It is not about claiming something. Everybody can claim anything. But provide hard facts, maybe prison records, or more easily, newspaper cuttings to show it happened, after all such a thing cannot happen without it being reported in the media.

I have presented what SLS was doing and where he was from 1983 to date. He was in Khartoum University 1992-1997. Prove otherwise, after all, the Toronto goers were exposed.

The burden is on you to first prove your assertions with hard facts.

Nah, you are belittling the office of CBN governor.

That office is totally beyond reproach and any allegations against the holder of the office must be rebutted convincingly; if that is not done, then the vast majority of people will begin to be swayed to the possibility that Sanusi was part of the beheading of Gideon Akaluka.
The sheer weight of Sanusi's office calls for him to clear his name, the allegation is serious to ear-splitting decibels.

If you want to defend Sanusi, then provide convincing proof. We already know that Sanusi is a harc-core shariarist, we need to be sure that he is not involved in anything more extreme. It makes it worse that he has just been defending the excesses of boko haram as due to a negative imbalance in the distribution of oil wealth to the North.

If on the other hand, you don't have a convincing defense, leave wahala, cos you are doing far more harm than good.
Re: Is This True About Sanusi (sls) Or A Tale Of The Old Witch? by Jarus(m): 10:03am On Feb 17, 2012
Beaf:

Nah, you are belittling the office of CBN governor.

That office is totally beyond reproach and any allegations against the holder of the office must be rebutted convincingly; if that is not done, then the vast majority of people will begin to be swayed to the possibility that Sanusi was part of the beheading of Gideon Akaluka.
The sheer weight of Sanusi's office calls for him to clear his name, the allegation is serious to ear-splitting decibels.

If you want to defend Sanusi, then provide convincing proof. We already know that Sanusi is a harc-core shariarist, we need to be sure that he is not involved in anything more extreme. It makes it worse that he has just been defending the excesses of boko haram as due to a negative imbalance in the distribution of oil wealth to the North.

If on the other hand, you don't have a convincing defense, leave wahala, cos you are doing far more harm than good.
If Sanusi should be replying every allegation made in private blogs and Facebook, then he will not have time for any other thing. Anybody can write anything in informal media, I have read people claim on NL here that SLS employs only northerners etc. Let Eghes make this allegation in a credible medium like newpaper or TV, not on Facebook or private blog, and come to public knowledge, if he is sure of his facts, after all he is also a known figure that speaks on TV programmes. Then, he can be taken seriously. CBN governnor will not stoop so low as to be officially/formally issuing statements to reply what someone wrote in one online forum or Facebook or blog. And if the allegation is credible and not baseless, you think it would not have made major news headlines since he made it on Feb 1?
Re: Is This True About Sanusi (sls) Or A Tale Of The Old Witch? by Beaf: 10:12am On Feb 17, 2012
Jarus:

If Sanusi should be replying every allegation made in private blogs and Facebook, then he will not have time for any other thing. Anybody can write anything in informal media, I have read people claim on NL here that SLS employs only northerners etc. Let Eghes make this allegation in a credible medium like newpaper or TV, not on Facebook or private blog, and come to public knowledge, if he is sure of his facts, after all he is also a known figure that speaks on TV programmes. Then, he can be taken seriously. CBN governnor will not stoop so low as to be officially/formally issuing statements to reply what someone wrote in one online forum or Facebook or blog. And if the allegation is credible and not baseless, you think it would not have made major news headlines since he made it on Feb 1?

This is not just any allegation. It is an allegation of taking part or conniving in the murder of an innocent man. Also, it is an allegation of a brand of extremism that is close to terrorism. They are not light allegations by any standard and require convincing rebutal, talking about the CBN governor not stooping low to defend his name is at best emotional and at worst a dodge.

This vertion of the rumour is even the saner one, I actually heard right here on NL that Sanusi did the execution. These aren't minor accusations that can be swept under the carpet.
Re: Is This True About Sanusi (sls) Or A Tale Of The Old Witch? by 9jaIhail(m): 10:29am On Feb 17, 2012
Beaf:

This is not just any allegation. It is an allegation of taking part or conniving in the murder of an innocent man. Also, it is an allegation of a brand of extremism that is close to terrorism. They are not light allegations by any standard and require convincing rebutal, talking about the CBN governor not stooping low to defend his name is at best emotional and at worst a dodge.

This vertion of the rumour is even the saner one, I actually heard right here on NL that Sanusi did the execution. These aren't minor accusations that can be swept under the carpet.

I have been following this thread and i must say that i am enjoying the way you analyze and your points are very clear in fact it will take a well train lawyer to get out of your hand if this happen to be court room
Re: Is This True About Sanusi (sls) Or A Tale Of The Old Witch? by Jarus(m): 10:39am On Feb 17, 2012
RoadStar:

@Jarus, I cannot understand why u keep hiding behind pres. Clintons comments.
Bill Clinton like SLS might be right on the fact that poverty is fueling the violence in the north. We all know that.

But bill clinton never insinuated that the poverty was caused by unequal revenue allocation/resource sharing. (That is were I and most Nigerians have issues with Sanusis comments)

Many commentators over the years have highlighted that the major cause of poverty in the north and widening inequality when compared to their southern counterparts is the high level of illiteracy in the north. A man/woman who cannot read/write will not be able to do a lot.
Soludo had asserted to the fact in a speech he gave in kaduna while he was CBN governor.
Where he wondered how one state in the SE (Imo state) can produce more JAMB applicants (Pupils willing to go to University) than the 16 states in highly populated North.
Soludo even in that speech compared the poverty rate in Northern states to that in the SE (which is on even less allocation compared to the north) and which was faring far better on a per capita level.

In that speech Soludo berated Nothern governments for their lack of a proper policy on education
He also scolded  Northern elites for showing little interest to invest in their local economies.
All this he did knowing fully well that he could face a backlash for those comments. He ended up paying the price.
But the truth has to be said.

For SLS to turn a blind eye to the very obvious fact and allude that the poverty in the north was caused by 13% to oil producing states is a travesty of the highest order.
It is mischievousness deceitful and lacks intellectual content.

I never said that Sanusi is BH, and stop picking issues on things like whether he meant Christian south or not, all I am saying that his comments are very misleading,irresponsible, simplistic and unbecoming of the cbn governor.

You musn't back the guy all the way, he has done some good deeds but in this one, he is doing a disservice to both Nigeria and the Northern Nigeria.

Good, you didnt go the way of littleminds to insinuate that because of that statement, SLS is a BH sponsor of supporter. People have mixed explaining something, even if far off, from justifying it.

Like I said, Sanusi is a CBN governor and Economist, speaking to an international media and looking at issue from purely economic perspective, and poverty falls from an economic realm.

Also, at least we have a common ground now that poverty fuels the violence.

That said, my defence of SLS is not because I agree that inequality is the primary cause of the BH mayhem, but because I think one, he mentions poverty too and that is logical; two, the criticism is overflogged and a lot of conclusions were drawn that are very uncharitable.

I never agreed that inequality in resource distribution is directly linkable to the crisis. This I mentioned, not only in earlier posts here, but also in my article I published, posted above. I said he wrongly assumed that if more funds are available to northern governments, it will trickle down to masses, and history has shown otherwise, as it will only fattens the pockets of their leaders.
Re: Is This True About Sanusi (sls) Or A Tale Of The Old Witch? by Jarus(m): 10:47am On Feb 17, 2012
Beaf:

I stand by my earlier response. If you have hard facts, publish it in a credible medium; anybody can say anything on the internet. I can wake up and say Jonathan killed my brother on the internet; the president will be stooping so low if he replies me. But if I say so in a recognized medium like newspapers of electronic medium, then it can carry the weight that will require presidential response. We have heard on the internet that Jonathan slept with someone in the plane(far back 2007 or so); it will be height of joblessness to reply such, but if such was published in a paper, it will surely be replied. That is teh analogy. If Eghes has his facts, let him publish it in credibel medium, not on FB or blog or Nairaland; then the CBN boss can respond.
Re: Is This True About Sanusi (sls) Or A Tale Of The Old Witch? by RoadStar: 12:08pm On Feb 17, 2012
Jarus:

Good, you didnt go the way of littleminds to insinuate that because of that statement, SLS is a BH sponsor of supporter. People have mixed explaining something, even if far off, from justifying it.

Like I said, Sanusi is a CBN governor and Economist, speaking to an international media and looking at issue from purely economic perspective, and poverty falls from an economic realm.

Also, at least we have a common ground now that poverty fuels the violence.

That said, my defence of SLS is not because I agree that inequality is the primary cause of the BH mayhem, but because I think one, he mentions poverty too and that is logical; two, the criticism is overflogged and a lot of conclusions were drawn that are very uncharitable.

I never agreed that inequality in resource distribution is directly linkable to the crisis. This I mentioned, not only in earlier posts here, but also in my article I published, posted above. I said he wrongly assumed that if more funds are available to northern governments, it will trickle down to masses, and history has shown otherwise, as it will only fattens the pockets of their leaders.
Good at least for once we are getting there.
Nothing stops you from taking my position which is that, even though theres no evidence that Sanusi is Boko Haram, he has completely misrepresented the true situation with regards Northern poverty.

Sanusi will never admit this but the problem in the North today is cultural
As he is a product and has profited from the prevailing circumstance in the North.

Terrorism, Violence and Poverty are just but a few products of this Northern culture.

A culture that doesn't take Education seriously.
A culture that does not encourage entrepreneurship and competition. (With Sanusi even encouraging this with is Islamic Banking Obsession)
A culture that does the least to empower women, who by the way constitute half of a society's adult workforce.
A culture which imposes religion over other aspects of life, which is proving to be retrogressive.

Sanusis line of thought that Economics is just about money and the fact that Sanusi sees it so is just lame.
It further exposes his ineptitude an Economist.

Economics ecompasses Culture, Religion, behavioral, Monetary, Macro, Micro, Political, Education , The list goes on and on
http://econ.ucsb.edu/aeastp/pdf_files/fields.pdf

This is a man who is a product of this retrogressive culture.
Who ran a bank and Now the Nations central banker, having just a first degree in Economics and no other postgraduate qualification relating to finance or economics but preffered to go and do Islamic studies.

Only In Nigeria.
Just like in 1954, Southern Nigeria is ready to progress but the north is not.
And that is and has always been the problem.
Re: Is This True About Sanusi (sls) Or A Tale Of The Old Witch? by Jarus(m): 4:00pm On Feb 17, 2012
Now, I know where you are coming from.

First, you know little about SLS, as it has shown in the comment above.

Contrary to what you wrote, Sanusi has Msc Economics(ABU, 1983). Plus almost 2 decades experience in banking, including becoming CEO of a financial group as big as FBN, he is eminently qualified for the job, irrespective of other qualifications he privately decided to pursue. I know CB bosses that hold no degree in Economics. So I don't know why the roof must be brought down because he decided to acquire additional, private knowledge.

Yes, a lot of northerners abuse their religion and culture to perpetrate bad acts, but to call for a sweeping discard of their culture and religion, is taking solution too far and feigning ignorance of cultural relativity. China and India have a number of 'wierd' cultures but that have never stopped their development. So I believe your blanket dismissal of their cultural and religious values as cause of their problem is uncharitable and only connotes absoltism, if not imposition. Their real culture/religion does not say women should not be empowered(current Education minister is a northern woman), that entrepreneurship should be discouraged( the biggest Nigerian entrepreneur today is a northerner).
Re: Is This True About Sanusi (sls) Or A Tale Of The Old Witch? by RoadStar: 11:29pm On Feb 17, 2012
Jarus:

Now, I know where you are coming from.

First, you know little about SLS, as it has shown in the comment above.

Contrary to what you wrote, Sanusi has Msc Economics(ABU, 1983).
First of all, as much as I don't want to be a promoter of paper certificates, Sanusi DOES NOT have and Msc in Economics, he claims to have done a couple of courses pertaining to masters but was never awarded a degree, contrary to what many of his press campaigners claim. This clarification was made by Sanusi himself when the untrue statement was made on the BBC website and some Nigerians in London challenged it. BBC them selves had to retract the statement after making an apology.

Plus almost 2 decades experience in banking, including becoming CEO of a financial group as big as FBN, he is eminently qualified for the job, irrespective of other qualifications he privately decided to pursue. I know CB bosses that hold no degree in Economics. So I don't know why the roof must be brought down because he decided to acquire additional, private knowledge.

The position of the central bank governor is a position for an economist period.
U can fit square pegs in round hole but that doesnt make it right.
Else he will make a set of fundamental mistakes he seems to make from time to time.

Yes, a lot of northerners abuse their religion and culture to perpetrate bad acts, but to call for a sweeping discard of their culture and religion, is taking solution too far and feigning ignorance of cultural relativity. China and India have a number of 'wierd' cultures but that have never stopped their development.
I am not criticizing their religion and culture neither I'm I calling for sweeping changes, but like in most parts of southern Nigeria and in countries such as India and China as u mentioned, these cultures should not constitute a hindrance to progress and development. Period !

So I believe your blanket dismissal of their cultural and religious values as cause of their problem is uncharitable and only connotes absoltism, if not imposition. Their real culture/religion does not say women should not be empowered(current Education minister is a northern woman), that entrepreneurship should be discouraged( the biggest Nigerian entrepreneur today is a northerner).

By picking out a few success stories in the north, and then implying them as the typical northern character is regrettable. And you know it.
Using the image of a few to cover the realities of an overwhelming majority just for the sake of arguing your point is just desperate and I wont even engage you on this one.
When a Nigerian thinks of a Northerner he thinks of wealthy Alhajis and politicians, high ranking military officials and former head of states etc
You see this is the kind of attitude that has put the Northerner in his/her present precarious situation.

Education in the North is still abysmal.
Even worse among Northern women.
Underage marriage and child pregnancy etc is still very rife even amongst the elite.
Total Entrepreneurship and private sector participation in the North still lags the south by a distance.

I was in shock the other day when BBC and CNN were vitually telling the whole world that BH  will not affect Nigeria economy which was forecast to grow at bw 6-7  % this year ,as most of Nigeria's economy was almost all concentrated in the south.

The sooner people like yourself and SLS realise this, the sooner the north can begin on its route to recovery.
Re: Is This True About Sanusi (sls) Or A Tale Of The Old Witch? by revomind(m): 8:24am On Feb 18, 2012
Jarus has been clutching at straws. Before now, I perceived him as an "intellectual defender" like naijaking but so far on this thread, with the issues raised and his weak rebuttals, he is looking more like an attack dog.

I' m indifferent about Mr Sanusi but I think we need to be more careful about the man. Its true that "Christian South" is the generic term used by the Western Media . At the same time, one cannot help but think Sanusi is aware of this and chose to exploit that half-truth to spread this propaganda. It sounds like an excuse to me and his interview suggests the review of wealth distribution as a solution. I feel this is arrogant and dishonest. It also smacks of tribalism/regionalism. It wasn't mandatory that he speaks out on the issue of terrorism in the north. If this is all he had to offer, then he did himself and his precious Northern Nigeria a great disservice.

As for his involvement in the massacre of an innocent man in the early 90s' violent religious crisis in Kano, its very interesting Eghes is ready to be dragged to court to prove his allegation. For me, that he can claim to be in Sudan during that period or under the appointment of some Merchant Bank doesn't really say anything. This is Naija. And for someone of his background, its all too easy to brush that history (if true) away from his resume.
Re: Is This True About Sanusi (sls) Or A Tale Of The Old Witch? by revomind(m): 8:53am On Feb 18, 2012
RoadStar:

Good at least for once we are getting there.
Nothing stops you from taking my position which is that, even though theres no evidence that Sanusi is Boko Haram, he has completely misrepresented the true situation with regards Northern poverty.

Sanusi will never admit this but the problem in the North today is cultural
As he is a product and has profited from the prevailing circumstance in the North.

Terrorism, Violence and Poverty are just but a few products of this Northern culture.

A culture that doesn't take Education seriously.
A culture that does not encourage entrepreneurship and competition. (With Sanusi even encouraging this with is Islamic Banking Obsession)
A culture that does the least to empower women, who by the way constitute half of a society's adult workforce.
A culture which imposes religion over other aspects of life, which is proving to be retrogressive.

Sanusis line of thought that Economics is just about money and the fact that Sanusi sees it so is just lame.
It further exposes his ineptitude an Economist.

Economics ecompasses Culture, Religion, behavioral, Monetary, Macro, Micro, Political, Education , The list goes on and on
http://econ.ucsb.edu/aeastp/pdf_files/fields.pdf

This is a man who is a product of this retrogressive culture.
Who ran a bank and Now the Nations central banker, having just a first degree in Economics and no other postgraduate qualification relating to finance or economics but preffered to go and do Islamic studies.

Only In Nigeria.
Just like in 1954, Southern Nigeria is ready to progress but the north is not.
And that is and has always been the problem.

That is all.

The North is filled with pseudo-activists whose main obsession is with criticizing the Federal Govt and its political allies in the states . I will admit Sanusi was one of a kind in his time as such an activist. But for me, the northern elite without any significant exception will not admit the basic reason for the backwardness up there( which you have succinctly done) Sanusi won't. El-Rufai won't and neither will Ribadu. This is because they are all beneficiaries of the system. While criticising Abacha, Sanusi couldn't help but condescendingly refer to him as 'Son of a cigarette seller' !!! I've also read articles where Sanusi referred to the hausa, nupe , kanuri as inferior to the fulani. This is the mindset.

How do you get the almajiris off the streets and into proper schools? You ask this questions and they regale you with silly tales of how its part of their religion and how some of the rich even let their children go through it. Lies upon lies. If educating children is still a problem in this day and age, then we should forget about women empowerment for now up there because even more advanced muslim societies are still grappling with that .Since culturally, western education is a problem up there and nothing has been done to change the situation, one has to see it as deliberate . The Northerners never have a shortage of qualified people to occupy influential positions in almost all areas of our national life . Then you think of the riots, the threats , you should connect the dots.

You can pump all the money you want into the north, nothing will change. The elites will keep doing what they do, looking out for each other, living princely lives and slyly employing religion and ethnicism in maintaining the status quo. The poor is the sorry loser in all of this and regrettably, most times they don't know!!!

What will change this attitude is real federalism. When they have to fend for themselves and the excuse of a economically greedy and dominant south is no longer usable, they will be forced to actually provide and be at least minimally responsible for their masses. Unfortunately, most northerners are averse to this idea.
Re: Is This True About Sanusi (sls) Or A Tale Of The Old Witch? by texazzpete(m): 10:11am On Feb 18, 2012
Beaf:

you're becoming quite synonymous with hypocrisy these days.
You complain that jarus is 'attacking the messenger'. Yet these days you're known for dismissing all Sahara Reporters editorials on the First family as 'fabrication' while recycling that same image you've been using to attack SR since early 2011.
You insist now that the burden of proof is with the accused based on the 'gravity of the accusation' and the 'sensitive position the accused occupies'. Yet you fail to take this same position whenever the issue of Dame Patience Jonathan's link to corruption is brought up.

Abeg for the avoidance of any doubt, the burden of proof depends on the accuser. If this blogger cannot prove his allegations, let Sanusi go ahead with his libel suit. Shebi when it gets to the law courts the fellow will be forced to provide his proof?
Re: Is This True About Sanusi (sls) Or A Tale Of The Old Witch? by M17: 3:55pm On Feb 18, 2012
SANUSI IS A SECRET TERROR CHIEF . LET HIM KEEP HIDING HIS FILTHY SHARIA AGENDA . HE IS A JIHADIST BELIEVE ME . HE IS THE UNDERGROUND SPONSOR OF BOKO HARAM . NIGERIANS ARE FOOL'S BELIEVE ME .NIGERIANS DON'T HAVE DEEP THOUGHT'S JUST LIKE OTHER INTELLIGENT PEOPLE FOLLOW PEOPLE OR EVENTS WITH KEEN INTEREST . IT IS CLEAR SANUSI LAMIDO IS TERROR GRAND CHIEF . SLS IS A TERRORIST
Re: Is This True About Sanusi (sls) Or A Tale Of The Old Witch? by M17: 4:06pm On Feb 18, 2012
HE SHOULD BE ARRESTED AND WATER BOARD .
JUST TO GET THE WHOLE TRUTH EXPOSED .SO NIGERIAN'S CAN SEE FOR THEM SELF THAT ,THAT GEOGRAPHICAL LOCATION CALL NIGERIA IS JUST A NAME GIVEN FOR OIL EXPLOITATION REASON'S KNOWN TO THEM . SANUSI SHOULD BE ARRESTED AND WATER BOARD . SANUSI LAMIDO THE TERROR KING

(1) (2) (Reply)

Woman Strips Off And Pole Dances To Stop Police From Towing Her Car (photos) / Download The 1999 Constitution FREE!!!! / World Food Day: Sanwo-Olu Says Farmers Should Not Relent In Food Production

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 130
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.