Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,779 members, 7,875,932 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 03:02 AM

The Way Forward - Your Views Please - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / The Way Forward - Your Views Please (956 Views)

I Married Someone I Don't Trust. What's The Way Out? / Your Views On This Pls. / Letter From A Hurting Wife - Your Views Please (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Way Forward - Your Views Please by Chaulay1: 2:07pm On Feb 16, 2012
I’m kind of confused on the step to take.

I work for an organisation whose entry qualification for any position is MSc. Although very few are just BSc holders and I fall into this category although I have professional certificates here and there. I joined this org 2yrs plus and at the last appraisal, I was asked for my plans for MSc and at any given opportunity, my Director reminds me to pursue my MSc in order to take up more responsibilities. I have also scanned this particular sector and what obtains is second degree. Another appraisal is due in the next few weeks and I will need to give concrete steps I have taken.

Currently, my husband is not buoyant financially and he is seriously searching for work which makes the financial responsibilities fall on me. He's been trying to secure a job to no avail. My income is quite attractive and we’ve been copying just fine.

But now, I need to further and the only option is an online program and you will agree that this is quite expensive, the bulk of my income will go into it and the home front may suffer financially. But I have to secure my job; we can’t afford to lose it since it is our major source of income. Nigerian Universities run my course option as full time, more so they are quite far from my place of residence; hence the reason for settling for online.

My husband has been supportive and agreed that I start the program but I keep thinking -How are we going to survive? Am I been selfish for wanting to take this step? Should I put it on hold till later?

If you were in this position, what will u do?
Re: The Way Forward - Your Views Please by mutter(f): 2:17pm On Feb 16, 2012
The way it looks, you hardly have an option.
It is normal in a family that sometimes the cash flow gets really tight because of one project or the other.
I am sure your husband will stand behind you. The important thing i that you also stand behind him in the future when he has his own projects.
Go ahead and reach for it cheesy
Re: The Way Forward - Your Views Please by Nobody: 2:27pm On Feb 16, 2012
This pisses me off about employers in Nigeria. Maybe I’m just too spoiled in my line of work sha. If they so want you to do the MSc why not support you financially for that even if just partially? It is going to be to the benefit of the organization anyway. Did your contract come with a stipulation that you must do the MSc? If they hired you without that qualification then they saw something they wanted in you. Why so much pressure now after the fact?

Perhaps you could tell your boss about the financial constraints you have? He may offer to pay part of it, advance you a loan or something that could help.
Re: The Way Forward - Your Views Please by Tobiegal(f): 2:32pm On Feb 16, 2012
ileobatojo:

Perhaps you could tell your boss about the financial constraints you have? He may offer to pay part of it, advance you a loan or something that could help.

I agree, Mayb u shd just let him know and understand ur situation.

Bt, i dont tik u r being selfish, u did to do what u have to do, we'l just keep praying that ur hubby get a job soon and that portion used for ur msc wld not affect the family dat much, wink

goodluck
Re: The Way Forward - Your Views Please by moremi2008(m): 2:35pm On Feb 16, 2012
ileobatojo:

This pisses me off about employers in Nigeria. Maybe I’m just too spoiled in my line of work sha. If they so want you to do the MSc why not support you financially for that even if just partially? It is going to be to the benefit of the organization anyway. Did your contract come with a stipulation that you must do the MSc? If they hired you without that qualification then they saw something they wanted in you. Why so much pressure now after the fact?

GBAM! If they want an MSc, why don't they sponsor it? Nonsense.

Yeah, let your boss know that you can't afford it right now. Forget your pride and just beg. I am sure they'll find money somewhere for you if they are hellbent on keeping you.
Re: The Way Forward - Your Views Please by blank(f): 12:25pm On Feb 21, 2012
What if u lose the job cos u r trying to pinch pennies? How will u both cope? If it is a requirement 2 progress, do it. If your coy will not sponsor u, sponsor urself and do what u have to do.
Re: The Way Forward - Your Views Please by Pampers: 1:19pm On Feb 21, 2012
U r nt bn selfish.Beter fr u sinc ur huby undrstnds,make d sacrific.ULD BE SUPRISED@ WAT PLANS GOD HAS FR U.uld SURVIVE
Re: The Way Forward - Your Views Please by Pampers: 1:27pm On Feb 21, 2012
Good things dont come easy. Squeez the schl bills into ur income. Uld just be suprisd at hw u will cope. TRUST GOD

(1) (Reply)

When A Friend Wants To Know What College My Daughter Is Studying And / A Mans Heart / Before You Hire That Maid.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.