Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,853 members, 7,872,846 topics. Date: Wednesday, 26 June 2024 at 11:52 PM

Is Unilag Any Better Than Covenant University? - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Is Unilag Any Better Than Covenant University? (14700 Views)

Is University Of Ibadan Any Better Than Covenant University? / Is Unilag Dli Form Out? / Is Unilag Post Graduate Result Out (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Unilag Any Better Than Covenant University? by UyiIredia(m): 10:16pm On Feb 17, 2012
I think UNILAG is better than Covenant University especially with regards to research efforts & academic scope/rigor. I also envy the freedom there. One doesn't have to particularly worry about dress codes, chapel services, exeats (I hate that rule till today) etc. However, I can confidently say this of the university. They are doing their best especially with regards to creating a formal & comfortable atmosphere for learning. It may be stifling but at the same time I can appreciate the effort. Bragging rights: In the 4 years I've been there I have NEVER slept at night without light. Surely, that counts for something ?

1 Like

Re: Is Unilag Any Better Than Covenant University? by vicade(m): 10:16pm On Feb 17, 2012
Unilag faculty of business admin is also known as the unilag business school as is the case in most nigerian unis and d faculty has undergraduate courses too.

Passing academic exams is one thing, applied knowledge is another. Covenant university is not even ten years old and I know their faculties are doing well based on the little I've seen and the facilities. Unilag is 50 years old. 5 decades.cos the system makes it more difficult to learn and pass dosent mean the system is better.Look at the alumni of babcock,covenant and bowen in the next 2 decades and u will be suprised.How many 50 years old unis are in africa ? Search and compare standards.Look for universities in africa that are 10 years old in africa and compare with covenant too in terms of facilities,research and quality of teaching. First class na wash though.
Re: Is Unilag Any Better Than Covenant University? by UyiIredia(m): 10:25pm On Feb 17, 2012
eGuerrilla:

1,701 hits for Covenant University
15,600 hit for UniLag

It gets really interesting when you drill down on the papers published by students at Covenant

How did you narrow it down to students ? BTW, the result is not surprising given the fact that some students decide to go when the university staff start to 'ginger' & the simple fact that; only a tiny fraction of the student body considers staying to do their Masters/PHD/PGD in the university. So far as I can tell, most go abroad, or to other institutions for that.
Re: Is Unilag Any Better Than Covenant University? by hariorh: 10:41pm On Feb 17, 2012
u guys are jobless, especially the owner of this thread. so as a student or after concluding ur university, d best u can come up with is to compare ur school to dat of the public institutions? thats just lame and u are not doing ur school or private universities any good at all. instead of u guys to use the knowledge acquired in ur various schools to try and change the situation of things in ur country, u are busy idling and arguing on a moronic level of which school is best when none of our schools is even ranked average in the world. shame on y'all. angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry A BUNCH OF DISAPPOINTMENTS!
Re: Is Unilag Any Better Than Covenant University? by jmaine: 11:05pm On Feb 17, 2012
Koikoi:

Poster must've dropped out of lag and made 1st class in convenant. Don't worry life's a long journey

Re: Is Unilag Any Better Than Covenant University? by Kk4(m): 11:07pm On Feb 17, 2012
Ofcos.Unilag is an actual university while convenant an advance form of high sch.
Re: Is Unilag Any Better Than Covenant University? by moshoodn(m): 11:51pm On Feb 17, 2012
hariorh:

u guys are jobless, especially the owner of this thread. so as a student or after concluding ur university, d best u can come up with is to compare ur school to dat of the public institutions? thats just lame and u are not doing ur school or private universities any good at all. instead of u guys to use the knowledge acquired in ur various schools to try and change the situation of things in ur country, u are busy idling and arguing on a moronic level of which school is best when none of our schools is even ranked average in the world. shame on y'all. angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry A BUNCH OF DISAPPOINTMENTS!
back off dude. . . .crap is crap.
Re: Is Unilag Any Better Than Covenant University? by moshoodn(m): 11:56pm On Feb 17, 2012
so many hypes. . . .baseless ones.

i'm a proud alumnus of futminna.
Re: Is Unilag Any Better Than Covenant University? by luvola(m): 12:25am On Feb 18, 2012
mr op should be charge with treasons for this silly thread. unilag to convenant univ,u wan die ?
Re: Is Unilag Any Better Than Covenant University? by luvola(m): 12:26am On Feb 18, 2012
mr op should be charge for treasons and felony for this silly thread. unilag to convenant univ,u wan die ?
Re: Is Unilag Any Better Than Covenant University? by shags(m): 1:21am On Feb 18, 2012
Unilag is very different from convenant as if Ɣ☺u are I̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ unilag and unserious then forget a pass as Ɣ☺u will surely fail.the marking method are quite strict.moreover the learning conditions are not so nice but visit unilag @ nite and  how much students read,the seriou students are hardly seen I̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ their hostel,either I̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ a race to submitt assignments,to earn a 1st class I̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ unilag aint a child's play.those day got it worked for it

1 Like

Re: Is Unilag Any Better Than Covenant University? by love4ual: 2:45am On Feb 18, 2012
nonsense, what is unilag, covenant university is the only school in nigeria that in london, they do not have to evaluate their transcript for addmission,

apart from covenant university, i will rather remain uneducated if i was living in nigeria, thank God i never wanted to study in nigeria,
Re: Is Unilag Any Better Than Covenant University? by Jettage: 4:51am On Feb 18, 2012
As bad as the Educational system of Nigeria have become, you cannot still compare those who failed Jamb and wanted admission so badly opting for an expensive school because they have monies to throw around for their kids, with those who sincerely want Education and have not the money of sponsors but are willing to give all their commitments through hard study as you have them in OAU, UI and UNILAG
Comparing covenant with Unilag is like comparing death with life, don’t you see the immaturity in the kids graduating from Covenant, especially with the imposing strictness that takes away your freedom to relate with others compelled by the “Bishop of Canterbury” who doubles as the VC of the school.
Forget it. Unilag may have lost it in some things but they are far better than any private University in Nigeria. After all Ighenedion University was delisted along other schools by the Medical guild of London, that school rank and file with Covenant University
But don’t compare Unilag with Harvard and Leeds
Re: Is Unilag Any Better Than Covenant University? by whyx06(m): 5:03am On Feb 18, 2012
I think comparing Unilag wt Convenant means d end of d world,
A 2:1 in Lag is equivalent to 1:1 in Convenant even if Unilag as lost it glory, I still believe a Jambite student we still prefer Lag but you'll found a WOUNDED Jambite in private universities in Nigeria.
@postal, you're comparing a sku (CONVENANT) dat d whole building is nt even upto an hostels in my sku (GRATE IFE)
I rest my taught for now ,
*whyx06 coded OAU boy*
Re: Is Unilag Any Better Than Covenant University? by lastpage: 7:35am On Feb 18, 2012
I am an Akokite, over and over again (Higher Degrees).
I am very very proud of that school, especially in my "own days"!

You dont get to be an Akokite because your parent can "pay the tuition" only!

In our own days, we dont even pay a brass-farden for tuition! wink
Food was almost completely free (90 Tickets for a Month!) for Three course meals kiss
But best of all, we spent our time studying real hard. (ofcourse, we dont have much to worry about, be it jobs or daily living)

Now, dont even try to be amusing by comparing UNILAG to some "cash-and-carry" glorified secondary school like COVENANT! tongue tongue

They are aeons apart!

But hey, Nigeria's standard of education has gone sooooo bad, to the point that schools like Covenant sef dey raise hand?
Its like a case of "in the country of the blind", you know what happens now? wink wink

Anyway, make l siddon dey look, this is 2012! shocked grin grin

Lastpage!
Re: Is Unilag Any Better Than Covenant University? by Yem2ram(m): 9:56am On Feb 18, 2012
We need to face the truth and stop all these shenanigans in comparing unilag to any private schools.Am sure your parents would 've being more proud of you if you've graduated from unilag,afterall going to convenant is as a result of lack of opportunity in lag.
Re: Is Unilag Any Better Than Covenant University? by ayandee: 10:59am On Feb 18, 2012
@poster 'omo baba oni gas'. You've started again. When will you stop brooding over your inability to secure admission into a first generation school? You can top up your degree in any of the ivy league schools if your parents are as rich as you claim. Yeyenotu
Re: Is Unilag Any Better Than Covenant University? by gokuu(m): 11:08am On Feb 18, 2012
ayandee:

@poster 'omo baba oni gas'. You've started again. When will you stop brooding over your inability to secure admission into a first generation school? You can top up your degree in any of the ivy league schools if your parents are as rich as you claim. Yeyenotu
LOL. abeg tell am joorrrrr!
Re: Is Unilag Any Better Than Covenant University? by oluwatobi01(m): 11:23am On Feb 18, 2012
@all,jaakade yato si satin(d difference is clear).Unilag is beta dan Convenant uni.,yr in yr out it keeps 'ving huge no of jambite despite d sch Bleep candidates up.Dis is d institutn dat 've received several blows from,though am not a stu of d said sch.But candidly speaking is 1 of d prestigeous fed.uni in 9ja.D sch competes wth great schs like Ui,Oau,Unilorin,Funaab(my sch.),Futa,Abu & d host of odas.Unilag=Unileg,.Alashe.
Re: Is Unilag Any Better Than Covenant University? by sheyguy: 12:35pm On Feb 18, 2012
Most of the comments here by the Unilag supporters are nothing but daft.
Firstly, most of these daft-comment posters av no understanding of the topic of discussion. When the OP asked the question: Is Unilag Any Better Than Covenant University? , He was simply challenging the previous insinuation made by Unilag students and other public school students that Covenant has low standard because they graduated 85 first class in a particular year. For those 'public-school-is-better-than-private-school' grads who can't understand the OP's question, the OP is simply saying, now that unilag and most top rated public schools av started churning out first class in like manner that made covenant a glorified secondary school, is unilag still better than Covenant?
Secondly, the world webometric ranking of unis does not prove nada. It is just a ranking of schools through their sites and traffic related to those sites. If for example unilag can support most of their transactions with their students via their website and as a result get more hits and search, then the webometric ranking system rates them higher for that alone and not the quality of their grads. We all know such a system favours school with large population of students. How then does one compare OSU in Ogun state, where there diploma student population alone can rival the entire population of most schools, to a school like Covenant?

From my own rough estimate, going by the opinion of neutral partier like employers, training centres, NYSC officials, external examiners (mostly from public schools like unilag), and overseas report of post graduate students, Covenant is not inferior to any single school in Nigeria. As for which school produces the better grad and is better between Covenant and UniLag? i will leave that to neutral parties that come in contact with both set of grads to determine.
Re: Is Unilag Any Better Than Covenant University? by Mrfemi1: 12:58pm On Feb 18, 2012
On a lighter note who be the dude wey go dey google "convenant university" for google scholar, common! thats a blow below the belt, i caught you, that was a wrong way googling lol, in between are you guys talking of the same unilag that i kno, Oga o!!!!unilag ko, akoka ni, lol, Education is trash in nigeria jor. bribery and corruption has taken over the system. in between i went to a school called Bowen, lol! another crap.
Re: Is Unilag Any Better Than Covenant University? by Mrfemi1: 1:00pm On Feb 18, 2012
On a lighter note who be the dude wey go dey google "convenant university" for google scholar, common! thats a blow below the belt, i caught you, that was a wrong way  of googling lol, in between are you guys talking of the same unilag that i kno, Oga o!!!!unilag ko, akoka ni, lol, Education is trash in nigeria jor. bribery and corruption has taken over the system. in between i went to a school called Bowen, lol! another crap.
Re: Is Unilag Any Better Than Covenant University? by 2good(m): 2:17pm On Feb 18, 2012
sheyguy:

Most of the comments here by the Unilag supporters are nothing but daft.
Firstly, most of these daft-comment posters av no understanding of the topic of discussion. When the OP asked the question: Is Unilag Any Better Than Covenant University? , He was simply challenging the previous insinuation made by Unilag students and other public school students that Covenant has low standard because they graduated 85 first class in a particular year. For those 'public-school-is-better-than-private-school' grads who can't understand the OP's question, the OP is simply saying, now that unilag and most top rated public schools av started churning out first class in like manner that made covenant a glorified secondary school, is unilag still better than Covenant?
Secondly, the world webometric ranking of unis does not prove nada. It is just a ranking of schools through their sites and traffic related to those sites. If for example unilag can support most of their transactions with their students via their website and as a result get more hits and search, then the webometric ranking system rates them higher for that alone and not the quality of their grads. We all know such a system favours school with large population of students. How then does one compare OSU in Ogun state, where there diploma student population alone can rival the entire population of most schools, to a school like Covenant?

From my own rough estimate, going by the opinion of neutral partier like employers, training centres, NYSC officials, external examiners (mostly from public schools like unilag), and overseas report of post graduate students, Covenant is not inferior to any single school in Nigeria. As for which school produces the better grad and is better between Covenant and UniLag? i will leave that to neutral parties that come in contact with both set of grads to determine.

You are so so daft and one of those lazy Nigerian student who doesn't take time to study things before making comments. Have you ever taken your time to go through any of the ranking sites to check out the methodology of their ranking? Internet is open to the public, so don't just sit in front of your computer and type nonsense without confirmation. Try do a little research before you post informations in the public.
Re: Is Unilag Any Better Than Covenant University? by tanimola22: 2:48pm On Feb 18, 2012
^^^^

Bros, everybody cannot do research naw. It is a skill possessed by a selected few. That Mr. A can do research does not mean Mr.B can do it O. That is why you see that many people are advised to withdraw from some research programs (Chicago's program is an exmaple). I am sure you very much know what I'm saying.

T22
Re: Is Unilag Any Better Than Covenant University? by mbhs139(m): 4:20pm On Feb 18, 2012
I don't see any reason for this comparison. I think we should rather be ashamed of ourselves, wether public or private school graduates, that none of our so called ivory towers was amongst the top 1800 in the world ranking, that's one.

secondly, it is also a shame if after four, five years in the university the world bank is now training our graduates on employability skills, because a study's findings showed that Nigerian graduates are not employable.

fellow Nigerians, it is not a matter of how many first class, but what is the worth of the first class. I made a third class from the university of Lagos in maths/statistics, right now I'm on contract teaching statistics with spss at the Nigerian army school of finance. i did not know anyone there before you'll say it was arranged. besides, i was not engaged based on my degree but because of the other trainings i have gone through. my class includes a capt, three PhD and others. there are some of my colleagues with 2.1 that are still looking for work while i run my own thing.

I'm not saying we should not eulogise those with first class, but the number of first class grad a school churn out every year may not be the parameter for measuring the quality of a school. the wole soyinkas, gani fawehinmi and kiyamos of this world didn't make first class, but their impact can be felt.
Re: Is Unilag Any Better Than Covenant University? by tanimola22: 7:28pm On Feb 18, 2012
mbhs139:

I don't see any reason for this comparison. I think we should rather be ashamed of ourselves, wether public or private school graduates, that none of our so called ivory towers was amongst the top 1800 in the world ranking, that's one.

secondly, it is also a shame if after four, five years in the university the world bank is now training our graduates on employability skills, because a study's findings showed that Nigerian graduates are not employable.

fellow Nigerians, it is not a matter of how many first class, but what is the worth of the first class. I made a third class from the university of Lagos in maths/statistics, right now I'm on contract teaching statistics with spss at the Nigerian army school of finance. i did not know anyone there before you'll say it was arranged. besides, i was not engaged based on my degree but because of the other trainings i have gone through. my class includes a capt, three PhD and others. there are some of my colleagues with 2.1 that are still looking for work while i run my own thing.

I'm not saying we should not eulogise those with first class, but the number of first class grad a school churn out every year may not be the parameter for measuring the quality of a school. the wole soyinkas, gani fawehinmi and kiyamos of this world didn't make first class, but their impact can be felt.

You are almost completely correct except for Keyamo. I am not too sure though.
Re: Is Unilag Any Better Than Covenant University? by tomimoni: 2:47am On Feb 20, 2012
Will y'all just STFU!!!! LAME POST!!! and LAME people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Is Unilag Any Better Than Covenant University? by sheyguy: 11:01am On Feb 20, 2012
2good and tanimola22, i don't get ur arguments if at all u guys are trying to put one forward. I av been to the webometric ranking site b4 and again and still can't make sense outa ur posts. Maybe u guys need to access the site extensively and do more than a 'little research.
Re: Is Unilag Any Better Than Covenant University? by niddamugu(m): 12:27pm On Feb 20, 2012
No thanks to all the contributors to this thread. I thought that by now the whole "hoola-baloo" should have stopped. Let's pause and ponder with these questions:
1. Is covenant the only private university in this country?
2. Is it the best among the privately owned universities in Nigeria?
3. Is it the first?
4. What is it's rank in the world's universities list?

The same questions apply to Unilag plus:
1. Where are the products in the country?
2. What are their impact in the affairs of this country?

These questions and more are waiting to be answered. Meanwhile, quoting from the Bible:

Eccl. 12v13 - Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter:
Eccl. 9v11 - I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all.

Bottom Line: STOP POSTING COMMENTS

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Armed Security Officers Stop Striking Ojukwu University Lecturers From Meeting / Hostel Named After Firdausi Amasa At Islamic Leadership Academy, Kuje / ASUU Rejects Scrapping Of Post- UTME

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.