Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,186,110 members, 7,928,399 topics. Date: Thursday, 22 August 2024 at 01:25 PM

Nigerian Billionaire Battles British Wife Over $21million Divorce Payout - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Nigerian Billionaire Battles British Wife Over $21million Divorce Payout (44529 Views)

Man Batters Wife Over Sex For More Children / Jobless Husband Beats Pregnant Wife Over Failure To Remit Monthly Salary / Lagos Traditional Ruler Assaults Wife Over Phone Call (Battered Wife Pictured) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Billionaire Battles British Wife Over $21million Divorce Payout by pendo89(f): 11:15am On Feb 26, 2012
Prenup is the way to go for these wealthy people. Wonder why he did not even consider a post nup when he started accumulating wealth.

At the close of day,one person goes home smiling. The Lawyer.
Re: Nigerian Billionaire Battles British Wife Over $21million Divorce Payout by Nobody: 11:17am On Feb 26, 2012
Re: Nigerian Billionaire Battles British Wife Over $21million Divorce Payout by damola1: 11:19am On Feb 26, 2012
pendo89:

Prenup is the way to go for these wealthy people. Wonder why he did not even consider a post nup when he started accumulating wealth.

At the close of day,one person goes home smiling. The Lawyer.

Prenup, postnup to me is an option, but really, this is family, I personally don't think it's right to be so callous to start drafting agreements within family, every other day I expect myself and my immediate family members to make compromises for the development of the family. so, even in the event of a dis agreement, being greedy shouldn't be an option, it's just, ' sweetheart ', am sure you know what is right to do, am sure you'll make me at least comfortable, that's all it takes, thats really all it takes!, but when greed sets in, then you want to take half of my business, half of my wealth, excuse me, did you work half the time, the people that did are partners in my company, you are not!, already you are taking away all the children, why don't you take half the kids and leave me with half, I will choose my kids over money any day anytime,
Re: Nigerian Billionaire Battles British Wife Over $21million Divorce Payout by damola1: 11:32am On Feb 26, 2012
chaircover:

Many of the men talking are not married. I am married and I know that a lot goes into these partnerships from both sides and money is just part of it but lots of other things make up a marriage.

If many successful married men were to be true to themselves, many got there with support from the wife and I dont mean financialy. You have a spring in your step when you know that there is someone there for you; Your number one fan. Someone who tells you that the sky is the limit, someone who crys with you and laughs with you. Someone who beleives in you. Someone who interceeds for you. Someone who wants the best for you and so on.

Many of you look at it as a business partnership and marriage isnt like that.

As regards the house, unless he has full custody of the kids which I doubt, then the kids should be able to live in the affluence that they are used to. Its not the kids fault that mummy and daddy cant live with each  other.

Like I said, If he is indeed a billionaire then 40 million will not kill him; he could have easily lost that amount on the stock exchange or in a bad business deal. He also has the consolation that some of that money is going to go towards making his kids comfortable.

If many successful married men were to be true to themselves, many got there with support from the wife and I dont mean financialy. You have a spring in your step when you know that there is someone there for you; Your number one fan. Someone who tells you that the sky is the limit, someone who crys with you and laughs with you. Someone who beleives in you. Someone who interceeds for you. Someone who wants the best for you and so on.

I think your mind is made up. But I comment simply to continue to enlighten myself and perspective to issues.

For a fact, I am not married, but I am closer to marriage than most married people, The only set of people who have absolute right about my wealth are my parents, because all of what I am today, my business acumen, my education is directly linked to them, and I will gladly give everything I have back to them, but they never even ask. In my own case, I give business free consultation advise , not the other way round, and have been doing that for so many years. I am her number one fan, whether I like it or not,, this is a fact, introduced her to her first writing work, give her shocks for so many years to continue writing even without a single kobo coming back, closed my account to pay half of her school fees, continue to help create a balance in most part of her finances. The more I look at it, the more I see that I have given more advise, more support than she's, maybe because I never discuss my business with her, women never advise logically, they only know how to protect, which is important too, but not really how to build. not to take anything away, she's her strong points. But on the points you've established, the above is what I think.

Like I said, If he is indeed a billionaire then 40 million will not kill him; he could have easily lost that amount on the stock exchange or in a bad business deal. He also has the consolation that some of that money is going to go towards making his kids comfortable.

This isn't a bad business deal, it's not a loss, it's a greedy woman who wants more than she deserves. She probably went to a better school, has two hands , two legs, let her go and get her own things done.
Re: Nigerian Billionaire Battles British Wife Over $21million Divorce Payout by pendo89(f): 11:34am On Feb 26, 2012
^There's a place where things start falling apart and you begin to realise that the marriage is beyond redemption.
We all hate these nups.But with the way things go nowdays, I would recommend for anybody who cares about peace.
Too much headache and fights .Who really needs that?
Call it a necessary evil but its like insurance and should not stop you from loving anyway. Its for your own good.Both of you.
The man knew the kind of lifystyle his wife lived so he knew what to expect if things fell apart. Why didn't he prepare early?
Re: Nigerian Billionaire Battles British Wife Over $21million Divorce Payout by crusufixo(m): 11:44am On Feb 26, 2012
He is indeed a very wise man. he played his cards very well. This is indeed a true nigerian man. !!!!!!
Re: Nigerian Billionaire Battles British Wife Over $21million Divorce Payout by desertboom(m): 12:04pm On Feb 26, 2012
The court grant you ownership of the kids, I will have to give away 50 percent of my wealth, I will still have to pay large sum of money to you every year for maintenance. Oh. . . My God! Can someone please enlighten me what this man has as a profit to the marriage? What did this man achieved out of this marriage? In fact, what will he profit after paying all this money? The man looses in all ramification. This law is senseless and useless in all aspect. Please, someone must answer me, wetin this man gain?
Re: Nigerian Billionaire Battles British Wife Over $21million Divorce Payout by queensmith: 12:13pm On Feb 26, 2012
^^ well they all know the risk of a marriage failing yet they still do. He must have gained alot to put all his money at such risk. Imo if the money is that important then they shouldn't get married.

i dont even think a prenup saves anything when theres children involved.
Re: Nigerian Billionaire Battles British Wife Over $21million Divorce Payout by desertboom(m): 12:52pm On Feb 26, 2012
@queensmith. . . So, this man will gain nothing at the end of the day. Rather, he will be counting his losses.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Billionaire Battles British Wife Over $21million Divorce Payout by TV01(m): 1:04pm On Feb 26, 2012
damola1:

I think your mind is made up. But I comment simply to continue to enlighten myself and perspective to issues.
The right way, and in that vein, may I offer an opinion.

damola1:

For a fact, I am not married, but I am closer to marriage than most married people,
One either is or one isn't, even if the date is set. How can one unmarried be closer to marriage than the married? Interesting? Having said that, personally I can honestly say that my views and understanding have not changed one bit since I took my wedding vows. I therefore don't think one is necessarily qualified or disqualified based on status.

damola1:

The only set of people who have absolute right about my wealth are my parents, because all of what I am today, my business acumen, my education is directly linked to them, and I will gladly give everything I have back to them, but they never even ask.
I have to disagree here. I can't speak for all cultures or religions, but in most - and pertinently the one in view here - the spousal relationship is the "apex" human relationship. Even a "common-law" wife could be argued to have precedent over parents. The two have become one, it's no longer "your wealth", it's "your joint wealth". And in my opinion, it should not just be since vows were taken, but everything you have both accrued prior. Consider if you will the vows taken.

damola1:

In my own case, I give business free consultation advise , not the other way round, and have been doing that for so many years. I am her number one fan, whether I like it or not,,  this is a fact, introduced her to her first writing work, give her shocks for so many years to continue writing even without a single kobo coming back, closed my account to pay half of her school fees, continue to help create a balance in most part of her finances. The more I look at it, the more I see that I have given more advise, more support than she's,
In my experience also, I typically find it is the men who have been the more "stabilising" influence. but firstly, that's to be expected, as the men tend to be older and more mature. Secondly, all our submissions in this regard are anecdotal. Each instance is unique, so it would be difficult to accurately infer anything here for any one couple. It is worth noting that some spouses are actually contrary/destructive or add little value. Spousal influence is not always positive in every regard.

damola1:

This isn't a bad business deal, it's not a loss, it's a greedy woman who wants more than she deserves. She probably went to a better school, has two hands , two legs, let her go and get her own things done.
I don't agree that marriage should be treated like a business deal. Or in the notion that it's a question of "deserves" based on that premise. Does money underpin everything? Are all things to be monetised?

I am not commenting on this divorce or the couple per se, just some of the wider questions around marriage.

Thanks
TV
Re: Nigerian Billionaire Battles British Wife Over $21million Divorce Payout by Nobody: 1:12pm On Feb 26, 2012
Re: Nigerian Billionaire Battles British Wife Over $21million Divorce Payout by queensmith: 2:33pm On Feb 26, 2012
desertboom:

@queensmith. . . So, this man will gain nothing at the end of the day. Rather, he will be counting his losses.

tbh with you, i think because we're not in his shoes we don't really know how it is. It probably goes to show how much a woman is needed, how important marriage is in spite of all the odds, the benefits to a family. If his money was that important he wouldnt have risked them. He could have just got her pregnant and continued his life abi?

besides, him giving up 20million is not going to make him poor, its going to make him a responsible father and ex husband to a millionaire grin grin
Re: Nigerian Billionaire Battles British Wife Over $21million Divorce Payout by rhymz(m): 3:11pm On Feb 26, 2012
queensmith:

tbh with you, i think because we're not in his shoes we don't really know how it is. It probably goes to show how much a woman is needed, how important marriage is in spite of all the odds, the benefits to a family. If his money was that important he wouldnt have risked them. He could have just got her pregnant and continued his life abi?

besides, him giving up 20million is not going to make him poor, its going to make him a responsible father and ex husband to a millionaire  grin grin
stop posting this rubbish. Your way of reasoning is appalling. You keep making it look like the woman is a victim or something. Are settlements meant to spite the man or to ensure that the woman is adequately taken care of even after the collapse of the marriage and not for her to exploit the man. People divorce for different reasons, one person do not neccessarily need to have done wrong. It is not like the man has not given her anything, what the man gave her is moderate and by any means very satisfying. Don't forget the woman did not bring anything into the man's business, it is called compensation not vengance. Even if the man can afford it, it still does not make it right. Are you trying to say if this man was your elder brother, you would rationalize this woman's demand with such weak arguments. Most of the alleged contributions you claim she made could as well have been done by a nanny it does not justify such an obscene request. Stop fabricating excuses that do not exist. Do unto others what you would want them do to you.
Re: Nigerian Billionaire Battles British Wife Over $21million Divorce Payout by Rheinmetal(m): 3:30pm On Feb 26, 2012
Just change those marriage vows already
A tad outdated IMO
Nowadays it should be: marry for richer, leave you for poorer till debt do us part.
You may now kiss your bride
Re: Nigerian Billionaire Battles British Wife Over $21million Divorce Payout by rhymz(m): 3:42pm On Feb 26, 2012
rhymz:

stop posting this rubbish. Your way of reasoning is appalling. You keep making it look like the woman is a victim or something. Are settlements meant to spite the man or to ensure that the woman is adequately taken care of even after the collapse of the marriage and not for her to exploit the man. People divorce for different reasons, one person do not neccessarily need to have done wrong. It is not like the man has not given her anything, what the man gave her is moderate and by any means very satisfying. Don't forget the woman did not bring anything into the man's business, it is called compensation not vengance. Even if the man can afford it, it still does not make it right. Are you trying to say if this man was your elder brother, you would rationalize this woman's demand with such weak arguments. Most of the alleged contributions you claim she made could as well have been done by a nanny it does not justify such an obscene request. Stop fabricating excuses that do not exist.
Do unto others what you would want them do to you.
Re: Nigerian Billionaire Battles British Wife Over $21million Divorce Payout by rhymz(m): 3:56pm On Feb 26, 2012
chaircover:

Many of the men talking are not married. I am married and I know that a lot goes into these partnerships from both sides and money is just part of it but lots of other things make up a marriage.

As regards the house, unless he has full custody of the kids which I doubt, then the kids should be able to live in the affluence that they are used to. Its not the kids fault that mummy and daddy cant live with each  other.

seriously, I am done with this emotional laden crap of what she did to make the man successful. If you can't put in words what the hell this woman did to deserve half of this man's wealth then take a trip to GTFOH. . You are just as lame as her greedy attempt.
Re: Nigerian Billionaire Battles British Wife Over $21million Divorce Payout by desertboom(m): 4:19pm On Feb 26, 2012
@queensmith. . . If this is what marriage is all about in the western world, I rather stay alone than to envolve myself with a decietful woman. Even if, this woman take me to Amadioha or Okija juju shrine, I will not pay 50 percent of my wealth. I can't lose everything, both my kids and money. Lai lai e no dey work like that na
Re: Nigerian Billionaire Battles British Wife Over $21million Divorce Payout by tlops(m): 6:09pm On Feb 26, 2012
I support the man to appeal as much as he can to avoid the ludicrous amount the woman is demanding. I am sure he must have been spending on her while they were married, so all those argument that she gave birth do not hold water to me. when the going was good, I am sure she was enjoying it and now she wants to bankrupt the guy and you say he should just give in. Anyhow if in the end the court rules in her favor he should suck it up and move on.

desertboom:

The court grant you ownership of the kids, I will have to give away 50 percent of my wealth, I will still have to pay large sum of money to you every year for maintenance. Oh. . . My God! Can someone please enlighten me what this man has as a profit to the marriage? What did this man achieved out of this marriage? In fact, what will he profit after paying all this money? The man looses in all ramification. This law is senseless and useless in all aspect. Please, someone must answer me, wetin this man gain?     

Helep me ask oh!
Re: Nigerian Billionaire Battles British Wife Over $21million Divorce Payout by iykak47: 6:11pm On Feb 26, 2012
rhymz:

seriously, I am done with this emotional laden crap of what she did to make the man successful. If you can't put in words what the hell this woman did to deserve half of this man's wealth then take a trip to GTFOH. . You are just as lame as her greedy attempt.
Re: Nigerian Billionaire Battles British Wife Over $21million Divorce Payout by iykak47: 6:12pm On Feb 26, 2012
rhymz:

stop posting this rubbish. Your way of reasoning is appalling. You keep making it look like the woman is a victim or something. Are settlements meant to spite the man or to ensure that the woman is adequately taken care of even after the collapse of the marriage and not for her to exploit the man. People divorce for different reasons, one person do not neccessarily need to have done wrong. It is not like the man has not given her anything, what the man gave her is moderate and by any means very satisfying. Don't forget the woman did not bring anything into the man's business, it is called compensation not vengance. Even if the man can afford it, it still does not make it right. Are you trying to say if this man was your elder brother, you would rationalize this woman's demand with such weak arguments. Most of the alleged contributions you claim she made could as well have been done by a nanny it does not justify such an obscene request. Stop fabricating excuses that do not exist. Do unto others what you would want them do to you.
Re: Nigerian Billionaire Battles British Wife Over $21million Divorce Payout by Nobody: 7:09pm On Feb 26, 2012
Re: Nigerian Billionaire Battles British Wife Over $21million Divorce Payout by Nobody: 8:13pm On Feb 26, 2012
rhymz:

You dey mind them? Forget all the 'virtuous wife on Nairaland' pretensions. From the tell tale signs, it's clear they're all the same materialistic, money-loving parasites. Every single nonsense she stewpidly argued that a wife does to 'support' her husband can be done by any random concubine, mistress, live in lover, prayer warrior, baby momma, or nanny - all of whom would cost a pittance to an average rich man. So what the Bleep is that materialistic, greedy leech talking about? How is a wife suddenly worth multi millions of hard currency (REGARDLESS of the man's wealth), just because she bore a child or two, or offered words of 'advice' (yea right), or prayed prayers that never got past the room ceiling? (un)fortunately for the well-to-do men that marry these leeches (in Nigeria), they may never get to know the serpents they married - because these greedy serpents wouldn't dream of divorce here, knowing that they'd get nothing, 'talk less' of half.

In any case, I've long realized that it's a waste of time to argue issues relating to sense and logic with most women. It's like casting pearls before swines. . . an utter waste of time.
Re: Nigerian Billionaire Battles British Wife Over $21million Divorce Payout by Yorisb: 8:52pm On Feb 26, 2012
pro01:

I've long realized that it's a waste of time to argue issues relating to sense and logic with most women. It's like casting pearls before swines. . . an utter waste of time.
Re: Nigerian Billionaire Battles British Wife Over $21million Divorce Payout by Nobody: 10:45pm On Feb 26, 2012
Nicely put Pro1. It should be a good Q.E.D. on this matter.
Re: Nigerian Billionaire Battles British Wife Over $21million Divorce Payout by Sagamite(m): 12:17am On Feb 27, 2012
rhymz:

Seriously, a lot of women make very stewpid passionate statement that defiles common sense.
This feminism thing has become an avenue that criminal females exploit to get rich. How can anyone in their right senses support a woman that knew nothing about how this man made his wealth to bequeath to her such obscene amount of money all because she was married to him in the UK. Does it even make sense? Most of these guys talking about the man being stingy and wicked wait until it happens to you then you will know how easy it is to dole out a million dollars to a gold digger whose only job through out you were with her was to bear you childrien and spend your money. Yesterday I was in a similar argument with a friend in the UK, she kept on talking about how it was possible for Anne Macauley to get 2face to settle her bigtime( if 2face marries her in the US or UK) in the event of a divorce. I was like, how does a court compel a man whose source of livelyhood, wealth and properties are not in the west but in Nigeria. Is that even possible?
A lot of women these days are just so obsessed with the prospects of getting half of a man's worth in the event of a divorce, it renders marriage a useless union and affair to get into. Whatever happened to moderate settlement, why do feminists have this misconception that whenever there is a divorce it is usually the fault of the man and that the woman must have suffered in the marriage and deserves a settlement that looks like a revenge on the man. A lot of people make senseless arguments and demands they wont even oblige if they were in such conditions. Very stewpid laws that is gravely political and unneccessarily vengeful.

Thank you.

Very well said.

chaircover:

I haven't read all the replies to this thread, but this is my take on this.

2.1 million sounds like a lot but in reality it isn't. It will just about buy her & the kids a house similar to the one that they probably live in now.

The 35K a year will NOT be enough to pay for the bills and maintenance of that house alone, talk less of other things.

Even if I was to tolerate this argument, which I don't, then it would make more sense a court demands the man provide such houses for the kids till they are adults and then take ownership back, not give the 21m to her to buy herself a house all in the name of "the kids".

chaircover:

By all means if indeed the money used ot set up the company didnt come from them both but from the husbands family, then that should be taken into consideration, however on the flip side, how many married men with access to $13,000 are able to do anything tangible with it. Wifey could at the time could have encouraged her hubby to buy a car or go on holiday and blow the whole lot. She gave him her support when he used the money to start the business and over the years would have supported him in various ways.

And so?

If I knew I can collect money for encouragement I would have been rich by now from collecting fees from Super Eagles players.

Another critical point that makes this argument irrelevant was stated yourself: "how many married men with access to $13,000 are able to do anything tangible with it".

Yes, there are a lot of married men today and in the past with $13K that don't turn it into millions. That is the norm. That just tells us, his turning it into millions was his work using his brain, not due to his marriage.

chaircover:

Ive said this before and the fact that a woman doesnt put money down doesnt mean that she is useless. An encouraging word here, a prayer there, a shoulder to lean on cannot be expressed in monetary values and this should not be overlooked. Sometimes when you know that someone has your back, you become more confident and you tend to take more risks and these risks may pay off.

Are you havin a laff?

So he would have not made his money without her prayers and her shoulder?

You will have to show me the scientific research that links shoulder to lean on to taking risks.

chaircover:

I personally think that if the man can truly afford it, then he should give her what she wants and let her go on her way. The Lawyers are probably getting more than the figure we are talking about here anyway which is a shame and the children are watching the acrimony and it cant be doing them any good. The Law suit is also going to affect both husband and wife mentally an healthwise whether they loose or win. Going to court is stressful in its self.

The other side of love is sure worse than hate if there is such a thing and I hope they can sort this out without too many casualties.

I personally believe that people should only claim entitlement to what they have earned. That is where the problem lies.

She is a Company Secretary. She has done other work before that. That is her earning potential under rationale thinking. Any oppotunity cost that restricted her pay during the marriage based on the request of the husband or reasonable sacrifice should be compensated based on that earning potential.

She is not worth or entitled to $21m of HIS money.

chaircover:

This is a fallacy.

Many to most marriages are miserable including that of those that are rich. Marital support has little to do with success except the partner has some kind of direct contribution that aids success.

chaircover:

If the kids need to live in affluence, there are too rational ways:

1) Pass them to the parent that can provide it.

2) The parent can provide it temporarily, that is not an excuse to rob one parent for the other to benefit.
Re: Nigerian Billionaire Battles British Wife Over $21million Divorce Payout by moremi2008(m): 12:25am On Feb 27, 2012
Death and devastation @ Sagamite thinking he really started his company with 13k GBP!!

Triple death @ all this acetaminophen-guzzling for another man's migraine!!!

Sagamite, your foolishness is terminal. You have locked yourself up in a cage lined with mirrors; now you are only barking at yourself. grin
Re: Nigerian Billionaire Battles British Wife Over $21million Divorce Payout by Sagamite(m): 12:27am On Feb 27, 2012
moremi2008:

Death and devastation @ Sagamite thinking he really started his company with 13k GBP!!

Triple death @ all this acetaminophen-guzzling for another man's migraine!!!

Sagamite, your foolishness is terminal. You have locked yourself up in a cage lined with mirrors; now you are only barking at yourself. grin

We all know you are a dumb cretin, there is really no need to elaborate.
Re: Nigerian Billionaire Battles British Wife Over $21million Divorce Payout by Sagamite(m): 12:34am On Feb 27, 2012
damola1:

Prenup, postnup to me is an option, but really, this is family,  I personally don't think it's right to be so callous to start drafting agreements within family,  every other day I expect myself and my immediate family members to make compromises for the development of the family. so, even in the event of a dis agreement, being greedy shouldn't be an option, it's just,  ' sweetheart ',  am sure you know what is right to do,  am sure you'll make me at least comfortable,  that's all it takes,  thats really all it takes!,  but when greed sets in, then you want to take half of my business, half of my wealth,  excuse me,  did you work half the time, the people that did are partners in my company,  you are not!,  already you are taking away all the children, why don't you take half the kids and leave me with half,  I will choose my kids over money any day anytime,

On point but when they have stewpid laws people have no option but to draft agreements, otherwise one will be effed up.

damola1:

For a fact, I am not married, but I am closer to marriage than most married people,  The only set of people who have absolute right about my wealth are my parents, because all of what I am today, my business acumen, my education is directly linked to them, and I will gladly give everything I have back to them, but they never even ask. In my own case, I give business free consultation advise , not the other way round, and have been doing that for so many years. I am her number one fan, whether I like it or not,,  this is a fact, introduced her to her first writing work, give her shocks for so many years to continue writing even without a single kobo coming back, closed my account to pay half of her school fees, continue to help create a balance in most part of her finances. The more I look at it, the more I see that I have given more advise, more support than she's,  maybe because I never discuss my business with her, women never advise logically, they only know how to protect, which is important too, but not really how to build. not to take anything away, she's her strong points. But on the points you've established, the above is what I think.

Thank you. Absolutely so fcking on point!

Those are normally the only people who can lay claim to your success and NO COURT can even allow them to claim 10%, talkless of 50%. But some stewpid laws will say because of pillow talk, house cleaning and shoulder to rest on, you should pay someone 50% of your wealth.

Can anyone tell me how a wife does more than a parent in contributing to one's success? Was it the wife that gave him his genes, fed him, housed him, clothed him, sent him to school, gave him money to live on, mentored him, gave him some of his first few contacts, paid his medical bills so he lives to old age?

Where is that dumbfuck called Moremi with his moronic arguments?

desertboom:

That is the most likely prospect of marriage for men in the Western world.

They have made it worthless with their daft laws that cretins like queensmith come and vomit.
Re: Nigerian Billionaire Battles British Wife Over $21million Divorce Payout by Sagamite(m): 12:52am On Feb 27, 2012
TV01:

I have to disagree here. I can't speak for all cultures or religions, but in most - and pertinently the one in view here - the spousal relationship is the "apex" human relationship. Even a "common-law" wife could be argued to have precedent over parents. The two have become one, it's no longer "your wealth", it's "your joint wealth". And in my opinion, it should not just be since vows were taken, but everything you have both accrued prior. Consider if you will the vows taken.

Why?

TV01:

I don't agree that marriage should be treated like a business deal. Or in the notion that it's a question of "deserves" based on that premise. Does money underpin everything? Are all things to be monetised?

How can you say the above and then say this?

chaircover:

TV that is what I was trying to say in a nutshell. Marriage is not like a perfect recipe for a cake; 200g of flour and 200g of butter etc; neither is it a business deal.

Affairs of the heart are a totally different ball game and you cant put a monetary value on some of the things that come in the marriage

Don't you think it is reasonable then to put affairs of the heart separately from financial affairs instead of trying to claim it is the former that is the driver of the latter?

They are not linked and they former does not warrant reward. You do it because it makes you feel good. I don't charge my girlfriend for the advice I gave, not instantaneously or in retrospect. I wouldn't ask for compensation if I drive a girlfriend to a job interview and she gets the job. I will not expect a reward if I took care of a sick partner and they are then able to go to work and becomes successful.

Furthermore, in reality, it is not only your spouse you have affairs of the heart with. You have it with other people even if it is of different types (e.g. parents, siblings, friends, relatives etc). You don't demand and cannot demand financial rewards for those, so why is it only the affairs of the heart with a partner that has some monetary value?

This just makes it clear that it makes sense not to demand reward for affairs of the heart. You do it in good faith and it is not by force.

rhymz:

She is a cretin!
Re: Nigerian Billionaire Battles British Wife Over $21million Divorce Payout by lamimuz: 12:55am On Feb 27, 2012
I go with Sagamite
Re: Nigerian Billionaire Battles British Wife Over $21million Divorce Payout by Theblessed(f): 2:30am On Feb 27, 2012
[b][size=16pt]Personally, I have heard too much of this little tsekiri Customary law coming to be used and applied in a British court on a divorce case, when British law is active. Naaaah!!

It's wishful thinking and pure waste of time - British law and justice would be seen and applied - watch this space!

I heard that his brother, in 2008 went to Nigerian court and applied for whatever reason - and I ask, why in 2008 instead of the start of the business?  What were they doing all these years to secure such information until now? 

And, how could the guy's father come now to claim he is indeed, a partner in the business because he lent his son £13,000+ in support of the business. We need to see the business contract bearing the names of all the partners, their capital contributions and shares in the business.

And, if he is a partner in the business it will be proven isn't?  All the documentations used in the business dealings both those in Nigerian and in the Uk should and must bear the names/signatures of all the partners from the start.
Don't worry this would be thoroughly investigated and then, he would be made a lier in court here, watch this space! 

You see, he is not the first Nigerian nor the last that would ever manipulate things to suit his needs and got found out in court and disgraced, because of money! We will watch it!! grin grin 

Listen man, you're dealing with British legal system and you'll see the heavy weight when it lands on you.  This is not  Nigeria where you could forge everything and get away with it - here experts will investigate, they'd excavate and carbon date every document you present to the court in order to reveal the truth so that justice can be seen to be done. 

The truth is, the money belongs to both of you - no family member contributed a dime and now, they're all active partners in the business - we shall see, shan't we? grin grin

Just settle your wife appropriately and move on and what is £2.5m when you both amassed such wealth?  That's so mean, man!! Typical Nigerian man,huh! cool cool

[/size][/b]
Re: Nigerian Billionaire Battles British Wife Over $21million Divorce Payout by Theblessed(f): 2:41am On Feb 27, 2012
Yorisb:

They got married in England, ergo, how could She have ''taken him to the US courts''?

Please read up on jurisdiction before making further deductions conjectures. Such ignorance can be contagious and It's not funny!

[b][size=16pt]But who is this ignoble!!!  What do you know about Family Laws of the 21st Century in the Uk?

You think, Western legal system is like that of Nigeria where laws are never changed or seen to be enforced appropriately.

Look, marriage can be annulled in any Family Courts in the West (remember, I did not say religious courts, here?), it doesn't have to and shouldn't be in the country of your birth or where you got married in the first place. 

Look before you start interrupting people on here, make sure you do your home work properly, ok??

So, because someone got married in Jamaica and live in the Uk with his/her family - and if they want to go their separate ways therefore, they must head home to Jamaica to do it, abi? 

Or should we say in this day in age, because, one studied a Science or Engineering Degree he/she must wait for jobs in those fields before he could work and feed his family, when he could find work elsewhere, eh!

I know some idiots are still thinking that way in Nigerian today and based on your thinking, you're not far from such group.   

Yes, its true the Oil man and his wife live in the Uk and if she or he is on holiday in America or Canada or still in the UK and feels that, American or Canadian justice could do him/her good then, he/she is free to ask to settle the matter there - what matters, is it not that both get justice and that's what courts are there to do?? 

It doesn't matter where you file for divorce - what matters is getting justice and African courts or Nigerian courts would never give a woman justice, abi? Maybe, only South African courts in Africa as a whole could even think of it - giving a little justice to a women, shame!

Right, here's a little home work for you.  You see, when Mick Jagger and Jerry Hall his longer term, long suffering girlfriend and mother of his 4 children went to somewhere in Indonasia and got married in a Hindu tradition/ceremony in the early 1990's - we all thought Mike had finally sowed his wild oaks not realising there was a baby coming into the world from South America by another young model - LG.

This event obviously, ruffled their marriage and Jerry head off to the British courts and asked for divorce only to be shocked when her husband contested the validity of the Indonasian Hindu marriage - as not legal and settled her only £10 million after many years together whilst the mother of his love-child got £6 millions when she sought paternity and won. 

And, I'm asking you Mr clever Lawyer, with great juri-prudence at your disposal - in which Country/City did Jagger contest that divorce? Was it not in Britain, was it not in a British Family courts and was it not in the City of London for that matter? clever!!!       

Listen, if you don't know your ABC on issues raised here in Nairaland please, ask first, people would direct and open you blind eyes, ok! There's nothing wrong in asking for ideas/direction from those who know, than pretending to live a lie - that's  ignorance.

Next time, dare not interrupt my commentary here until you'd researched your work, ok!

Now, go and google the above names and find out things - try and learn more about people and behaviours before coming out here to challenge ideas you're so timid about, lazy man!
[/size][/b]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (23) (Reply)

Woman With Cancer Reveals, Husband Is Not The Father Of 3 Kids; Nigerians React / US-based Couple Accuses Nigerian Surrogate Mother Of Absconding With Twins (pic) / Lady Shares How She Transformed A Girl She Adopted After Just Two Months (pics)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 145
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.