Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,184,426 members, 7,923,621 topics. Date: Saturday, 17 August 2024 at 10:54 AM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (1785) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4596640 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1782) (1783) (1784) (1785) (1786) (1787) (1788) ... (2259) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by SeaTrade(m): 8:50am On Mar 02, 2021
ahiboilandgas:
just everthing to destroy Nigeria manufacturing capacity..from rice to edible oil to textile to car to drugs to spaghetti....there is a whole markets selling okrika cloths which is supposed to be a contraband....the smuggler covert the sale from naira back to dollars obtain from the BDC markets and smuggler out to dubai onward China......any time u hear say them arrest aboki or labanese with 3m usd in airport what do u think is happing ....
I don't blame the smugglers,I blame the government.
Look,where there are huge price differences and incentive,there tend to be smuggling.
You know the funny thing?You can't fight smugglers with forces(police,customs,etc...) especially in a poor and corrupt country like Nigeria where almost everyone is hungry and smugglers have enough money to throw around and tip everyone.
Why are they smuggling Cars?Because your seaport taxes is expensive .
You can only fight smugglers by making whatever they are trying to smuggle unprofitable and uneconomjcal,not wasting money with customs because bros the least money don pass that goods ooo.

6 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by SeaTrade(m): 8:53am On Mar 02, 2021
ahiboilandgas:
just everthing to destroy Nigeria manufacturing capacity..from rice to edible oil to textile to car to drugs to spaghetti....there is a whole markets selling okrika cloths which is supposed to be a contraband....the smuggler covert the sale from naira back to dollars obtain from the BDC markets and smuggler out to dubai onward China......any time u hear say them arrest aboki or labanese with 3m usd in airport what do u think is happing ....
Smugglers don't even need dollars cash sec these days.
What some guys in the US do is to buy all the dollars Nigerians in America are trying to send home,wire for smugglers to china or wherever they want and collect their naira In Nigeria.
But I'm sure that business will soon die with the new CBN policy of withdrawing repatriated funds in dollars,as no one will want to give them again rather pass through bank.

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 8:54am On Mar 02, 2021
SeaTrade:
I don't blame the smugglers,I blame the government.
Look,where there are huge price differences and incentive,there tend to be smuggling.
You know the funny thing?You can't fight smugglers with forces(police,customs,etc...) especially in a poor and corrupt country like Nigeria where almost everyone is hungry and smugglers have enough money to throw around and tip everyone.
Why are they smuggling Cars?Because your seaport taxes is expensive .
You can only fight smugglers by making whatever they are trying to smuggle unprofitable and uneconomjcal,not wasting money with customs because bros the least money don pass that goods ooo.
true the Soviet style of enforcement using security men up and down alway fail but with a sound economic policy and zero incentive no body go smuggle any thing....like after removing subsides of deseal ...smugling ended ...instead Niger business men started exporting to Nigeria ( lower grade)..

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by SeaTrade(m): 8:57am On Mar 02, 2021
ahiboilandgas:
true the Soviet style of enforcement using security men up and down alway fail but with a sound economic policy and zero incentive no body go smuggle any thing....like after removing subsides of deseal ...smugling ended ...instead Niger business men started exporting to Nigeria ( lower grade)..
Diesel comes from Niger to Nigeria?
Oh I see,maybe cos of many trucks that are in the north creating a huge demand for it.
But where do Niger get the diesel from?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by afroxyz: 9:00am On Mar 02, 2021
SeaTrade:
Smugglers don't even need dollars cash sec these days.
What some guys in the US do is to buy all the dollars Nigerians in America are trying to send home,wire for smugglers to china or wherever they want and collect their naira In Nigeria.
But I'm sure that business will soon die with the new CBN policy of withdrawing repatriated funds in dollars,as no one will want to give them again rather pass through bank.

This guy eh
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by skydiver01: 9:06am On Mar 02, 2021
grin grin
afroxyz:

This guy eh
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by SeaTrade(m): 9:10am On Mar 02, 2021
afroxyz:

This guy eh
lol na lie? grin
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by afroxyz: 9:12am On Mar 02, 2021
SeaTrade:
lol na lie? grin

Na why i dey hail u
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 9:14am On Mar 02, 2021
SeaTrade:
Diesel comes from Niger to Nigeria?
Oh I see,maybe cos of many trucks that are in the north creating a huge demand for it.
But where do Niger get the diesel from?
yes from their soraz refinery in zinder it 400km to kano and less than 150km to Katsina ....i have bought several time they even established a trading office in Nigeria .....the problem is the density is low the Nigeria quality is better ..if u have to use it u consume more example we give driver 1300 litres from Lagos to kano return if na Niger republic deseal we give 1400 to 1500 ......the refinery is a 40000 barrel daily capacity they use 20000 barrel and planing to export 20000 barrel via chad /Cameroun export pipelines ....chad have completed the sections of the export pipe it remain Niger using Chinese loan ...NB there is 1 bn barrel of crude oil in chad/lake chad basin .....snipec China is on it....

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by SeaTrade(m): 9:14am On Mar 02, 2021
afroxyz:

Na why i dey hail u
Lol streets no funny. grin
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 9:18am On Mar 02, 2021
afroxyz:

Na why i dey hail u
no be lie it been on for long na but when there restriction...it been done for over 50 years in kano wapa markets ....if u wan buy tokubu car in benin republic u pay naira to a bdc in kano and collect ce fa to cotonu...as a determine rate ...like wise a benin citizen that want to come to Nigeria pay ce fa and collect naira from bdc...this was the BUSINESS b4 soludu licensed them and start funding
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by SeaTrade(m): 9:21am On Mar 02, 2021
ahiboilandgas:
yes from their soraz refinery in zinder it 400km to kano and less than 150km to Katsina ....i have bought several time they even established a trading office in Nigeria .....the problem is the density is low the Nigeria quality is better ..if u have to use it u consume more example we give driver 1300 litres from Lagos to kano return if na Niger republic deseal we give 1400 to 1500 ......the refinery is a 40000 barrel daily capacity they use 20000 barrel and planing to export 20000 barrel via chad /Cameroun export pipelines ....chad have completed the sections of the export pipe it remain Niger using Chinese loan ...NB there is 1 bn barrel of crude oil in chad/lake chad basin .....snipec China is on it....
Where is Niger getting the crude it is refining and even wanting to export from?

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 9:21am On Mar 02, 2021
(Reuters) - Niger has reached an agreement with Chad to ship crude oil from its Agadem field for export through the Chad-Cameroon pipeline, Niger's foreign minister said on late on Wednesday.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 9:23am On Mar 02, 2021
SeaTrade:
Where is Niger getting the crude it is refining and even wanting to export from?
Niger has a long history of petroleum exploration dating back to the 1970s. However, it is only recently in 2011 that the petroleum industry of Niger was born with the opening of the Agadem oilfield and the Soraz refinery near Zinder. The oil and gas extracted from the Agadem field are processed at the Soraz refinery and products (gasoline, diesel and liquified natural gas) are primarily for domestic consumption. Since the beginning of the oil extraction, it appears that the reserves have been underestimated: from an estimate of 324 million barrel reserves in 2008, it is believed that reserves are three times higher, near 1 billion barrels in 2013.[1] With the increase in reserves, Niger anticipates an increase in its production from 20,000 to 80,000 barrels per day by 2016 with 60,000 barrels per day for exports via Chad and Cameroon.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 9:27am On Mar 02, 2021
In 2012 Niger signed an agreement with neighbouring Chad to construct a 600 km (373 miles) pipeline linking it to the Chad-Cameroon pipeline, which will enable Niger to export crude. The MoU followed the inauguration of Niger's Soraz refinery, a US$5 billion joint venture with China National Petroleum Corporation (CNPC) near Zinder. The 20,000 barrel-per-day capacity refinery, 60 percent-owned by CNPC and 40 percent by Niger, is fed entirely by oil from the Agadem oilfield a further 700 km east. The two ministers gave no indication of when the construction of the pipeline will begin, nor its cost.[2]

In 2016 the IMF reported that construction may begin in 2017, and be completed by 2019.[3]

As of February 2017, the pipeline construction has been put on hold by CNPC and the government of Niger due to the rapid fall in commodity prices, making the project unprofitable under current conditions. As of now, the pipeline's completion has been delayed until 2020 while alternatives are being considered.[4]
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 9:34am On Mar 02, 2021
Chad ranks as the tenth-largest oil reserve holder among African countries, with 1.5 billion barrels of proven reserves as of 2018 and production of over 140,000 barrels per day in 2020. Petroleum is Chad’s primary source of public revenue, and around 90 percent of oil production is exported. Chad’s oil production is dominated by the China National Petroleum Company in Chad (CNPCIC), the ExxonMobil-led Esso Exploration & Production Chad Inc. (EEPCI) consortium, Glencore, and Taiwanese Chinese Petroleum Corp (operating as OPIC). Other oil companies are exploring new blocs. EEPCI inaugurated Chadian oil production in 2003 and owns a controlling stake in the 1,100 km Chad-Cameroon pipeline through which all Chadian oil exports reach the port of Douala, Cameroon. A joint venture between CNPCIC and the Government of Chad’s state-owned oil company, Societé des Hydrocarbures du Tchad (SHT), refines petroleum for export and domestic consumption at a 20,000 barrel-per-day refinery 40 km outside N’Djamena. Chad’s natural gas sector is nascent. Stranded gas is flared.

Oil

2020 (Q1)

Total Production

Total Exports

Total Imports

N/A

N/A

N/A

N/A

Total Market Size

15,385 the new oil wells discovered in kukawa maiduguri will be connected to the Exxon chad /Cameroun export line which is 200km from the oil well located in Nigeria...

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by DigitalMallam: 11:23am On Mar 02, 2021
emmanuelewumi:

Talk to your Stockbroker or Investment advisers, they will make recommendations.
Pls I need advise.
I want to convert part of my Fixed Deposit Fund (Naira) to EuroBond ($).
I spoke to my broker and they gave me conversion rate of 498 to move the fund from Naira fixed income to $ Eurobond.
I had requested same last year I got 483 then, I said it was too high but it's seem Nigeria isn't getting better any time soon.

Should I still wait or can proceed.

Cc: any other interested person

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by seyisanya(m): 11:47am On Mar 02, 2021
DigitalMallam:

Pls I need advise.
I spoke to my broker and they gave me conversion rate of 498 to move the fund from Naira fixed income to $ Eurobond.
I had requested same last year I got 483 then, I said it was too high but it seems Nigeria isn't getting better any time soon.

If the embolden is how you feel at the moment, then go ahead with your plan. However, N498 is quite high except the volume is not substantial. I will advise you liquidate the Naira Fund and then buy your dollars from any of EVERDON BDC or SEBASTIAN BDC. They should be able to sell to you between the range of N480 and N483. If you are in Lagos, you can visit their office to complete the transaction.

I wish you the best!
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by cmoney22222: 4:12pm On Mar 02, 2021
Thanks already confirmed from the bank today

ahiboilandgas:
yes
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by chigo4u: 8:47pm On Mar 02, 2021
DigitalMallam:

Pls I need advise.
I had requested same last year I got 483 then, I said it was too high but it's seem Nigeria isn't getting better any time soon.

What Eurobond fund is this?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by tolajay: 12:15am On Mar 03, 2021
FCMB

chigo4u:
Is there any bank in Nigeria that pays interest on dorm accounts?

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Tobex4realTobex234(m): 9:18am On Mar 03, 2021
seyisanya:
If the embolden is how you feel at the moment, then go ahead with your plan. However, N498 is quite high except the volume is not substantial. I will advise you liquidate the Naira Fund and then buy your dollars from any of EVERDON BDC or SEBASTIAN BDC. They should be able to sell to you between the range of N480 and N483. If you are in Lagos, you can visit their office to complete the transaction.

I wish you the best!

Excellent advice. I still bought from Everdon in the range of 470s last month sef. Just do their KYC and you're good to go.

It is never too late to change to dollars. Once you make up your mind about how many percentage of your portfolio should be in USD, you won't need to ask this kind of question. I don't know enough details about the peculiarities of your situation, but at the very least try to do 60:40 (USD:NGN).

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ojesymsym: 9:42am On Mar 03, 2021
Do you leave your USD to seat in the bank or you have where you invest it in? If yes, which instrument and what is the minimum investment and procedure?

Tobex4realTobex234:

Excellent advice. I still bought from Everdon in the range of 470s last month sef. Just do their KYC and you're good to go.

It is never too late to change to dollars. Once you make up your mind about how many percentage of your portfolio should be in USD, you won't need to ask this kind of question. I don't know enough details about the peculiarities of your situation, but at the very least try to do 60:40 (USD:NGN).

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ojesymsym: 9:45am On Mar 03, 2021

Three million Nigerians lost N18bn to Ponzi schemes – SEC
Over three million Nigerians have lost about N18bn through Ponzi schemes, the Securities and Exchange Commission stated on Tuesday. Director-General, SEC, Lamido Yuguda, said this during a webinar organised by the commission. Ponzi schemes are fraudulent investing scams which generate returns for early investors with money taken from later investors. They are similar to pyramid schemes in that both are based on using new investors’ funds to pay the earlier backers.....………
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Tobex4realTobex234(m): 12:22pm On Mar 03, 2021
Please note that this is not a recommendation.

You can adjust your ratio based on your investment knowledge, your risk potential and your long term horizon.

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by freeman67: 2:08pm On Mar 03, 2021
seyisanya:

I wish you the best!

While thinking of liquidating and buying dollar from Bureau de Change, he should also be thinking of how to invest it back to his desired Euro Bond because that is where the difficulty lies. Last week, I tried to deposit dollar to an investment account. The teller asked If the account was mine and told that it wasn't. He then told me to ask the owner of the account to come and deposit himself. I just left without further enquiries.

The next day I was at another branch of FCMB for same purpose. I enquired and was told to fill their registerand fill the teller for it. After several attempts to post, I was told that cash deposits are not allowed into that account. I can only make transfers to the account. That's where another problem lies.

From what I gathered personally, Banks these days are not accepting transfer from a Nigerian bank dorm account to another especially when it was cash deposited. A dollar cash deposit made can only be withdrawn before usage as it is only dollars received through transfers that could be also be transferred to another account. So everything seem complicated..

So, if he is convinced that his fixed deposits should be converted to Eurobond the easiest and less complicated way to do it is to go with his broker especially if he is sure of getting dollars back when his investment matures... Of course that comes with a cost... Transfers in banks are not free too. So he will have to weigh his option and choose what suits him best...

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by condomuser: 4:39pm On Mar 03, 2021
That's true, banks doesn't allow Eurobond Investment via cash deposit, they said it has to be inflow into your account, quite a useless policy as Cash is always king.

Also, even when you have the inflow, transfering to their own designated Dom account attracts a charge. Someone who has cash deposit into Dom account can't invest in Eurobonds from the look of things as you need to either withdraw the cash and find someone to make a transfer of the equivalent for a fee and pay with the USD cash you withdraw.

Another thing is selling funds via inflow transfer is a bit difficult and upon maturity of the Eurobond, if the banks have enough dollar by then, you can only transfer the funds to someone who has a Dom account or they will offer you to exchange it to them for Naira at ridiculous rate.

It may just be best to leave your dollar in your Dom ACC, that way if EUROBOND default nothing concern you.

freeman67:

While thinking of liquidating and buying dollar from Bureau de Change, he should also be thinking of how to invest it back to his desired Euro Bond because that is where the difficulty lies. Last week, I tried to deposit dollar to an investment account. The teller asked If the account was mine and told that it wasn't. He then told me to ask the owner of the account to come and deposit himself. I just left without further enquiries.

The next day I was at another branch of FCMB for same purpose. I enquired and was told to fill their registerand fill the teller for it. After several attempts to post, I was told that cash deposits are not allowed into that account. I can only make transfers to the account. That's where another problem lies.

From what I gathered personally, Banks these days are not accepting transfer from a Nigerian bank dorm account to another especially when it was cash deposited. A dollar cash deposit made can only be withdrawn before usage as it is only dollars received through transfers that could be also be transferred to another account. So everything seem complicated..

So, if he is convinced that his fixed deposits should be converted to Eurobond the easiest and less complicated way to do it is to go with his broker especially if he is sure of getting dollars back when his investment matures... Of course that comes with a cost... Transfers in banks are not free too. So he will have to weigh his option and choose what suits him best...
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by oludy: 6:11pm On Mar 03, 2021
My question: Will BDCs do a transfer to my DOM account if I wanted to convert naira to fx? Won't they need some form of documentation to ensure they are in line with CBN's policy?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ositadima1(m): 6:56pm On Mar 03, 2021
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmasoft(m): 7:02pm On Mar 03, 2021
INVESTMENT ONE PENSION FOR HIGHER RETURNS ON YOUR FUNDS!

Gone are the days to stick to just one PFA whether you like the ROI or not.
You now have choice to switch your PFA.
If you want better returns on the funds in your RSA come over to Investment one Pension.
Don't just save let you savings save
Call/chat me. Check my signature for contact number.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Opzyyy: 9:21pm On Mar 03, 2021
emmanuelewumi:

Too poor, things are looking.

This was mailed to me, but it is too poor for me.
please is the 6% paid quarterly i.e 24% per annum or it's 6% per annum i.e 1.5% quarterly?

(1) (2) (3) ... (1782) (1783) (1784) (1785) (1786) (1787) (1788) ... (2259) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.