Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,198,121 members, 7,967,157 topics. Date: Saturday, 05 October 2024 at 12:50 PM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (85) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4663233 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (82) (83) (84) (85) (86) (87) (88) ... (2266) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by tunai(m): 8:27pm On Mar 05, 2015
I do not know why GTbank keeps frustrating my tbills effort,I wrote a letter for 182days @ 13.5% which is far lower than CBN stop rate and yet they did not do the transaction.

I am beginning to lose my believe in this stupid bank, this is the second time this is happening back to back.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by htconeline: 8:35pm On Mar 05, 2015
Am going to write unionbank next week for another 182days. .......
How do one avoid to these magogo from bank pipo how can layman like me buy from primary market from.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by kaptinphilz(m): 8:36pm On Mar 05, 2015
htconeline:
Am not satisfy with firstbank been my first tym in TB.
So I went to the bank today, I told the lady at the desk that am yet to receive alart or sms after my money as been deduct from tueday morning. She said she as send my interest and it could be network since she's not the one sending the massage according to her.on my way going out I check my account and am still left with 0000.i was only giving certificate which she ask me to sign.
By the way I got 13.5 for 182 days tenor........which is still not ok by me.........
Pls what other bank allow you to place your bid .....
Cusss cbn issue 14.85 for 182 and I got 13.5 am not satisfy.
I also got 13.5 from first bank for 182 days. I made enquiry and was made to understand that they do the bidding at their head office collectively and you get what you bid for as long as it's not more than cbn rate. That if the bank bid for 13% for example and the prevailing rate is 14.5% you will still get ur 13% and someone that bid 14.5% will get that for the same tenor. I think the best thing is to place ur own rate. It pains to let such a high rate slip out of one's fingers.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by htconeline: 8:58pm On Mar 05, 2015
kaptinphilz:
I also got 13.5 from first bank for 182 days. I made enquiry and was made to understand that they do the bidding at their head office collectively and you get what you bid for as long as it's not more than cbn rate. That if the bank bid for 13% for example and the prevailing rate is 14.5% you will still get ur 13% and someone that bid 14.5% will get that for the same tenor. I think the best thing is to place ur own rate. It pains to let such a high rate slip out of one's fingers.
in the form u fill did you see space to place your bid.i thing every bank holder with FB got same rate.if am opportune to bid my self I go with 14.50
Just got alart for interest now.
i just
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by petikal(m): 9:05pm On Mar 05, 2015
It doesn't look like First Bank gives its customers the option to fix their own minimum rate, unlike other banks. I understand no such option in their form. Can anyone confirm?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by just2endowed: 9:07pm On Mar 05, 2015
htconeline:
in the form u fill did you see space to place your bid.i thing every bank holder with FB got same rate.if am opportune to bid my self I go with 14.50
Just got alart for interest now.
i just

What's the rate?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by angelo82: 9:21pm On Mar 05, 2015
I just received alert for my other bills which mature today.............I hope this bank will allow me to bid for 364days also like my other bank........They are more sincere...............
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dunsinogundele: 9:59pm On Mar 05, 2015
please can i buy treasury bill using my first bank savings account?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by petikal(m): 10:18pm On Mar 05, 2015
dunsinogundele:
please can i buy treasury bill using my first bank savings account?
Yes.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Damolaskynov: 12:24am On Mar 06, 2015
kaptinphilz:
March 4 result from cbn site
91 days tenor=10.8%
182 days tenor=14.85%
364 days tennor=15.899%
I m still waiting for first bank notification. I don't know if thier bid is successful.
angelo82:
I just received alert for my other bills which mature today.............I hope this bank will allow me to bid for 364days also like my other bank........They are more sincere...............

So sorry that this post is coming in so late. I got 15.08% for my 364-day tenor and 10.67% for my 91-day tenor from GT bank and both were GT bank's rate. I eventually stuck with GT bank even after initially threatening to withdraw my funds from them to another bank. I am happy with the interest on both,joor

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ummitoagirl(f): 12:29am On Mar 06, 2015
Exactly what happend to me... I use another bank though. Exactly 182 days @ 13.5%, see it as a blessing though. Look at the stop rate for 4th of March on CBN website, the rates will be soo high for next 2 weeks.
tunai:
I do not know why GTbank keeps frustrating my tbills effort,I wrote a letter for 182days @ 13.5% which is far lower than CBN stop rate and yet they did not do the transaction.

I am beginning to lose my believe in this stupid bank, this is the second time this is happening back to back.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ummitoagirl(f): 12:40am On Mar 06, 2015
Whaoooo this is massive!!! The rate keeps going up.
I requested for 182 days @ 13.5% and my bank didn't put it through, I was late on the submission. I now see this as a blessing in disguise. My bank would usually recommend 3 stop rates, you choose one. I was initially going to go for 364 days, as CBN last stop rate was 15.25%, (feb.) but my banks' highest recommendation was 14.20% which I thought was too low, I was expecting like 15%.
Seeing this result, I am confident ecobank will recommend 15.25% as the highest stop rate for the next auction.

kaptinphilz:
March 4 result from cbn site
91 days tenor=10.8%
182 days tenor=14.85%
364 days tennor=15.899%

I m still waiting for first bank notification. I don't know if thier bid is successful.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by fphumie(f): 2:24am On Mar 06, 2015
just2endowed:

ask her if she got ur tb from the secondary market
You simply get the rate you quote not the CBN stop rate. Anybody that quotes below CBN stop rates gets it while any rate above CBN stop rate is considered as not suitable. That is why it is primary bid. The bank is not to be blamed for your rate, even if you quote 10% n stop rate is 15% , you will be given 10%.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by fphumie(f): 2:26am On Mar 06, 2015
Damolaskynov:

So sorry that this post is coming in so late. I got 15.08% for my 364-day tenor and 10.67% for my 91-day tenor from GT bank and both were GT bank's rate. I eventually stuck with GT bank even after initially threatening to withdraw my funds from them to another bank. I am happy with the interest on both,joor
Like to know if the rate was given to you by GTB cos my understanding of primary bid is that the customers have to quote their rate themselves
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by tunai(m): 5:56am On Mar 06, 2015
Please did you use the branch you opened your account or other branch and what was the process like cos I have tried twice now and Gtbank is not acting on my tbill purchase request . pls help with this info.
Damolaskynov:

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Bamz(m): 6:31am On Mar 06, 2015
Damolaskynov:

Was it an email instruction you gave?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Bamz(m): 6:40am On Mar 06, 2015
tunai:
Please did you use the branch you opened your account or other branch and what was the process like cos I have tried twice now and Gtbank is not acting on my tbill purchase request . pls help with this info.

Same thing here. It's been a disaster since I decided to send instructions directly to my Fund Manager. I will be doing OTC bidding with Access for 6 months. Can't afford to wait for another 2 weeks.

I got an email though after complaining to the GT online customer care where one can send instructions if you're not in Naija or don't have access to go to the bank.

So best bet is never send email instructions directly to your fund manager, he/she can always claim they did not get it.
And if you are going to place your instruction at the bank, Monday morning would be perfect. You can always get the phone number of the staff that received your request to confirm on Tuesday morning if the request was filed.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by just2endowed: 9:34am On Mar 06, 2015
fphumie:

You simply get the rate you quote not the CBN stop rate. Anybody that quotes below CBN stop rates gets it while any rate above CBN stop rate is considered as not suitable. That is why it is primary bid. The bank is not to be blamed for your rate, even if you quote 10% n stop rate is 15% , you will be given 10%.

ok
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Damolux01(m): 10:01am On Mar 06, 2015
Bamz:

Same thing here. It's been a disaster since I decided to send instructions directly to my Fund Manager. I will be doing OTC bidding with Access for 6 months. Can't afford to wait for another 2 weeks.

I got an email though after complaining to the GT online customer care where one can send instructions if you're not in Naija or don't have access to go to the bank.

So best bet is never send email instructions directly to your fund manager, he/she can always claim they did not get it.
And if you are going to place your instruction at the bank, Monday morning would be perfect. You can always get the phone number of the staff that received your request to confirm on Tuesday morning if the request was filed.
What is OTC bidding please?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Bamz(m): 12:13pm On Mar 06, 2015
Damolux01:
What is OTC bidding please?

OTC: Over The Counter bidding and you will see rates beforehand so you know what to opt for. You can walk into the bank any day of the week and they will sell from their holdings albeit lower than rates stated at primary auction.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Damolaskynov: 5:15pm On Mar 06, 2015
fphumie:

Like to know if the rate was given to you by GTB cos my understanding of primary bid is that the customers have to quote their rate themselves
tunai:
Bamz:

Was it an email instruction you gave?

I will answer as much as I can. Yes,I use the GT bank where my account(s) is domicilied and I write a letter to the Branch manager stating my request to buy Treasury bills worth so and so amount AT THE BANK'S RATE for so and so tenor and authorising them to deduct the amount from so and so account for the purchase. I write the letter on the Monday or at worst,Tuesday of the primary auction bid week.When I send e-mail,I usually type the letter,SIGN it and then scan the signed letter and send it to the e-mail address of the investment officer in advantium banking or my account officer and it usually scales through except for 1 instance where there was a mix-up of sorts and the person explained the issue quite honestly. Moreover,secondary market TB purchase in my branch begins from 5 million Naira upwards and I never reach that stage yet... wink
I hope I've been able to answer your questions.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Sylverly(m): 11:59pm On Mar 07, 2015
If truely first bank accepts minimum of 100k for tbill..I think that is a better place to start. Pleasw , I would appreciate if someone could give me a " yes" as to confirm this statement...# just a yes, I would really appreciate..
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Desanta(m): 7:42am On Mar 08, 2015
Sylverly:
If truely first bank accepts minimum of 100k for tbill..I think that is a better place to start. Pleasw , I would appreciate if someone could give me a " yes" as to confirm this statement...# just a yes, I would really appreciate..

YES.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by just2endowed: 11:10am On Mar 08, 2015
Sylverly:
diamond bank and union bank accept 100k as a starrt

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by princeuk21(m): 11:08pm On Mar 08, 2015
I CAN SEE YOU GUYS ARE DOING GREAT wink cheesy grin cool

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Onlytru: 4:57pm On Mar 09, 2015
Is good to see more Nigerians trying to invest their money for future financial security. Now the only two less risky investment that most Nigerians tend to go for his either Fixed Deposit Investment or Treasury Bills Investment (T-bills). I have been involved in both investment multiple times but after carefully review of my returns and the risks involve (which is pretty NADA to be candid) I can state with all confidence that Fixed Deposit investment is the best between the two.

Now before I let the cat out of the bag, let me quickly add that this simple logic I am about to unveil is only viable for folks that want to invest at least ₦2 million and up and also for a full calendar year because if you are planning to invest less than the stated amount (₦2 million) the interest rate plus the number of days of investment in your portfolio will not add up. Now let's get started---

Treasury Bills Investment
As we all are aware that treasury bills investment is the least risky investment out there with moderate return and plus the attractive rates folks are getting on it lately, thus making it the number one option for most folks to invest in but does the returns on this investment really worth the hype?! I do not think so...
For example Mister A has ₦5 million to invest in T-bills for 365 days at Bank 1. They offered him 14.5% (for the sake of this argument lets round it up to 15%). At the end of 365 days (1 YEAR) Mister A will receives ₦750k back in return after 1 Year

Fixed Deposit Investment
Now if Mister A takes the same ₦5 million to Bank 1 and request to fixed the same amount for 90 days (with automatic roll over after 90 days and insist on the same fixed rate) which most banks will offer Mister A 10% or more (but most folks will not agree with me but for the sake of argument let say he was able to get 10% for 90 days). At the end of 90 days Mister A will receives ₦500k in return X 4 = ₦2million cool cash. A return of 40% compare to 15% of T-bills for the same number of days.

As we all can see the return on Fixed Deposit is by far the best investment option between the two. As for me T-bills does not really worth the hype. Yall free to do your investigation.
Happy investing
¬ OnlyTru¬
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by presiade(m): 5:11pm On Mar 09, 2015
^^ It is not done that way, if wishes were horses... The rates are usually quoted in p.a. which means your fixed deposit at 10% will only give you 10%(less W/H tax) in a year, 5%(approx) in 182 days and 2.5% (less W/H tax) in 91 days. So which is better now? grin grin

5 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Chillis: 5:29pm On Mar 09, 2015
Onlytru:
Is good to see more Nigerians trying to invest their money for future financial security. Now the only two less risky investment that most Nigerians tend to go for his either Fixed Deposit Investment or Treasury Bills Investment (T-bills). I have been involved in both investment multiple times but after carefully review of my returns and the risks involve (which is pretty NADA to be candid) I can state with all confidence that Fixed Deposit investment is the best between the two.

Now before I let the cat out of the bag, let me quickly add that this simple logic I am about to unveil is only viable for folks that want to invest at least ₦2 million and up and also for a full calendar year because if you are planning to invest less than the stated amount (₦2 million) the interest rate plus the number of days of investment in your portfolio will not add up. Now let's get started---

As we all are aware that treasury bills investment is the least risky investment out there with moderate return and plus the attractive rates folks are getting on it lately, thus making it the number one option for most folks to invest in but does the returns on this investment really worth the hype?! I do not think so...
For example Mister A has ₦5 million to invest in T-bills for 365 days at Bank 1. They offered him 14.5% (for the sake of this argument lets round it up to 15%). At the end of 365 days (1 YEAR) Mister A will receives ₦750k back in return after 1 Year

Fixed Deposit Investment
Now if Mister A takes the same ₦5 million to Bank 1 and request to fixed the same amount for 90 days (with automatic roll over after 90 days and insist on the same fixed rate) which most banks will offer Mister A 10% or more (but most folks will not agree with me but for the sake of argument let say he was able to get 10% for 90 days). At the end of 90 days Mister A will receives ₦500k in return X 4 = ₦2million cool cash. A return of 40% compare to 15% of T-bills for the same number of days.

As we all can see the return on Fixed Deposit is by far the best investment option between the two. As for me T-bills does not really worth the hype. Yall free to do your investigation.
Happy investing
¬ OnlyTru¬

Go take a good nap. grin.
You need it.
2million for a yr. Who do you like this ?

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Desanta(m): 5:31pm On Mar 09, 2015
presiade:
^^ It is not done that way, if wishes were horses... The rates are usually quoted in p.a. which means your fixed deposit at 10% will only give you 10%(less W/H tax) in a year, 5%(approx) in 182 days and 2.5% (less W/H tax) in 91 days. So which is better now? grin grin

Thanks for educating him.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by sammily(m): 5:32pm On Mar 09, 2015
@ Onlytru - interest rates of Fixed deposits are annually. Also don't forget that you will be taxed on the interest generated.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by coderXO(m): 5:36pm On Mar 09, 2015
Onlytru:
Is good to see more Nigerians trying to invest their money for future financial security. Now the only two less risky investment that most Nigerians tend to go for his either Fixed Deposit Investment or Treasury Bills Investment (T-bills). I have been involved in both investment multiple times but after carefully review of my returns and the risks involve (which is pretty NADA to be candid) I can state with all confidence that Fixed Deposit investment is the best between the two...

¬ OnlyTru¬

Oga, I'm sure you miscalculated. No bank will have rolled you over 4 times for a 40% p.a on your N5m.

No chance. ZERO!
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by inze(m): 6:11pm On Mar 09, 2015
Onlytru:

Fixed Deposit Investment

Happy investing
¬ OnlyTru¬

After all your ranting and quoting "Nigerians" twice in one paragraph as if you're not one and exhibiting quite a less-impressive use of English-Construct, you still went ahead to show that you know little or nothing about the subject matter. SMH

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (82) (83) (84) (85) (86) (87) (88) ... (2266) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.