Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,189,717 members, 7,938,183 topics. Date: Monday, 02 September 2024 at 07:25 PM

An Mph Or Msc In Development Management - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / An Mph Or Msc In Development Management (1035 Views)

Msc. Business Admin. Or Msc. Statistics. Advice Needed / Possibilities With MPH / What Can I Do With Masters In Public Health (mph) Degree (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

An Mph Or Msc In Development Management by mission08: 8:36pm On Feb 26, 2012
House, pls help out with your advice!

I'm caught between doing an MPH or MSc in Development mgt. My focus is to work in development organisations. Personally, I'm inclined to go for Devt mgt as I dont want to limit my scope to health component alone, devt mgt will give me a broader view. I dont have a medical background but I presently work in d admin unit of a development org into health issues and in the nearest future I'll be delving into programmatic activities. Most of my colleagues opt for MPH but I dont just want to jump with the crowd but weight the 2 options very carefully.

Which of the 2 courses might offer the best career opportunity in Nigeria.
Re: An Mph Or Msc In Development Management by tanimola22: 9:34pm On Feb 26, 2012
Hi,

I will go with MSc DM for the reasons you have well articulated.

T22
Re: An Mph Or Msc In Development Management by violent(m): 1:08am On Feb 27, 2012
Masters in Public Health has been around for so long, thus, you will expect that most people would understand what your qualification is all about and how it may add value to their organisation as opposed to newly structured MSc degrees that are being offered by some Unis. From my understanding, development roles are mostly inseparable from health related roles. A Masters in Public health easily provides you with a broad scope that may be required to function properly in many NGOs. This scope can then be tailored by focusing on specific aspects of a job that interests you.

All that asides, i feel what is probably advisable in your situation is to list out the curriculum of both courses and see which ones offer course works that will be well tailored to your interests and most suitable for your career path.
Re: An Mph Or Msc In Development Management by tanimola22: 1:41am On Feb 27, 2012
mission08:

House, pls help out with your advice!

I'm caught between doing an MPH or MSc in Development mgt. My focus is to work in development organisations. Personally, I'm inclined to go for Devt mgt as I dont want to limit my scope to health component alone, devt mgt will give me a broader view. I dont have a medical background but I presently work in d admin unit of a development org into health issues and in the nearest future I'll be delving into programmatic activities. Most of my colleagues opt for MPH but I dont just want to jump with the crowd but weight the 2 options very carefully.

Which of the 2 courses might offer the best career opportunity in Nigeria.

Hi again,

I don't live in Nigeria. However:

1. Remember that you won't be in that particular NGO forever (or do you plan to remain there forever? Do you plan to work for only health NGOs?)

2. Remember that different NGOs do different things, not only health related issues, so you would want to go for an MSc that is somewhat all encompassing

(1) (Reply)

15 Powerful Women In Africa's Tech Sector 2013 / Career Clinic / How To Challenge Your Boss And Be Loved For It.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.