Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,020 members, 7,919,241 topics. Date: Tuesday, 13 August 2024 at 03:12 AM

Ekiti Distributes Free Laptops - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Ekiti Distributes Free Laptops (3088 Views)

Okonjo-iweala: ASUU Distributes Insulting Pamphlets About Me In Mosques / Osun Distributes Free Tablet-Computers To Students / Osun Distributes Computer Tablets Of Knowledge For Test-running (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ekiti Distributes Free Laptops by free2ryhme: 10:44am On Mar 15, 2012
Ekiti State Government on Wednesday commenced the distribution of laptops to pupils in secondary schools across the state.

Governor Kayode Fayemi, who presented the Samsung laptops to some selected students drawn from various schools, said the state administration was working hard to regain the lost glory of the state in the education sector.

The state also procured braille computers for blind students. It also gave out walking sticks and other devices to aid deaf students in their educational pursuit.

The governor said human development could not be achieved in this age without Information and Communication Technology.

According to him, the state government will spend N6bn to procure 100,000 units of computers.

The governor added that although the state had 95,000 students population in its secondary school, 100,000 were ordered because it anticipated that enrollment in public schools would soon increase.

Fayemi also distributed school bags to enable the students protect the laptops well.

He said the era of students using fertilizer bags to bring books to school had ended with the provision of the school bags.

He said, “Our government has gone this far to ensure that everything is done to make us stand shoulders higher than other states by recreating our feat in the areas of academic excellence that our land was in the time past identified with.

“This is why it has become very imperative for those involved in the teaching and learning process to be computer-literate in line with global standard of knowledge acquisition.”

http://www.punchng.com/news/ekiti-distributes-free-laptops/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ekiti Distributes Free Laptops by sammirano: 11:52am On Mar 15, 2012
Good move
Re: Ekiti Distributes Free Laptops by member479760: 12:01pm On Mar 15, 2012
laptop without power will be lapbottom soon!
Re: Ekiti Distributes Free Laptops by Funkymallam(m): 12:16pm On Mar 15, 2012
Laptops to sec sch students for what?
Misplace priorities!
Re: Ekiti Distributes Free Laptops by seunlayi(m): 12:20pm On Mar 15, 2012
LAPTOPS WITHOUT ADEQUATE KNOWLEDGE ABOUT IT
LAPTOPS WITHOUT REGULAR POWER BACKUP
IS LAPTOPS THE IMMEDIATE NEED OF THIS STUDENTS?

ANOTHER WASTAGE OF PUBLIC FUND

1 Like

Re: Ekiti Distributes Free Laptops by olaezebala: 12:21pm On Mar 15, 2012
Funkymallam: Laptops to sec sch students for what?
for yahoo yahoo now.
Re: Ekiti Distributes Free Laptops by tundesto(m): 12:39pm On Mar 15, 2012
The laptop will be charged with solar panel in the absence of electricity. For those that have no knowledge of computer, having a computer now will prompt them to seek its knowledge.
Re: Ekiti Distributes Free Laptops by damola1: 1:01pm On Mar 15, 2012
Mark my words.. hungry people never appreciate such stuff... the father will take it to lagos and sell it for less than 10k..
Re: Ekiti Distributes Free Laptops by noiseless: 1:06pm On Mar 15, 2012
Laptops, hope the aim is not to inundate this unu NAISHARIALAND like those almajiris like(DAFTYYOKANU,REDTOOTH,EKO ILE AND CO)lol!
Re: Ekiti Distributes Free Laptops by bennie1980(m): 1:12pm On Mar 15, 2012
I find it funny why such amount should be committed to a project that would benefit selected few. I would suggest the goverment build Internet Centres in each local government where more people will benefit.
Re: Ekiti Distributes Free Laptops by airmark(m): 1:17pm On Mar 15, 2012
Laptop or LABtop? Misplaced priority.
Re: Ekiti Distributes Free Laptops by gulfer: 1:30pm On Mar 15, 2012
Topic says to 'SELECTED' students, why? Is the government to empower some and render the many worthless?
Re: Ekiti Distributes Free Laptops by phreakabit(m): 2:59pm On Mar 15, 2012
SW Teenagers + Laptop = Yahooze Kamikaze .
Re: Ekiti Distributes Free Laptops by Okijajuju1(m): 3:02pm On Mar 15, 2012
This is a state that is so poor, they sponsored Ileke Idi to come online and promote their image. . .

This is a state that is so poor, they added prostitution to the list of skills acquisition programme for women. . smh
Re: Ekiti Distributes Free Laptops by Nobody: 4:59pm On Mar 15, 2012
Very good. Hope they get internet access too.
Some people saying misplaced priorities for secondary school students,you are wrong. In this IT age,your first gift should be a pc. Now,it may not be the function of the government to distribute computers but the advantages outweigh every other considerations,IMO
Re: Ekiti Distributes Free Laptops by niddamugu(m): 6:11pm On Mar 15, 2012
Students, In case una wan fling am, I dey here for computer villa. I go buy am for better price O. Even your parents will be impressed.

Laptop to do what? Must you really spend this money even when it is not necessary? Una go taya very soon.
Re: Ekiti Distributes Free Laptops by Mynd44: 6:21pm On Mar 15, 2012
Hope they will not complain when the number of "yahoo boys" sky rockets
Re: Ekiti Distributes Free Laptops by bonetalk(m): 6:46pm On Mar 15, 2012
That's one of his promise when he was campaigning for election. For me personally, i dont support this idea totally, i prefer ICT centre in those schools to laptop provision. Lagest percent of those students will definately sell it or misuse it. Facebook has almost occupied the heart of those students rather than their studies.
Re: Ekiti Distributes Free Laptops by bonetalk(m): 6:49pm On Mar 15, 2012
That's one of his promise when he was campaigning for election. For me personally, i dont support this idea totally, i prefer ICT centre in those schools to laptop provision. Lagest percent of those students will definately sell it or misuse it. Facebook has almost occupied the heart of those students rather than their studies.
Re: Ekiti Distributes Free Laptops by hamsky: 8:30pm On Mar 15, 2012
6000000000/100000=60000 . So 60000 was paid for each laptop: quite impressed considering the fact that Nigeria is corrupt grin grin grin grin
Re: Ekiti Distributes Free Laptops by seunlayi(m): 1:15am On Mar 16, 2012
they may even be inferior, in case of damage, who pays for it?

1 Like

Re: Ekiti Distributes Free Laptops by Kobojunkie: 2:39am On Mar 16, 2012
When I was in primary school, we practically got our school uniforms and books for free. Make una no write this thing off as complete waste now. This might be the one and only thing these kids get to benefit from their government. Yes, it sucks that only a few get it but at least some of them got something.
Re: Ekiti Distributes Free Laptops by Xtfield(m): 8:07am On Mar 16, 2012
Did you people bother to read the body of the first post? The government ordered for all students (100,000). In fact it ordered for 5000 extra. Of course it is impossible for the governor to hand over all the laptops physically so a select group of students will attend the presentation ceremonies while others will be presented with theirs by their school authorities.
I however share the view of others that provision of laptops may not be the immediate needs of these students. Government should have invested in well equipped computer labs with adequate powers supply.
Re: Ekiti Distributes Free Laptops by NoQualms1(f): 1:55pm On Mar 16, 2012
GBENGA_bonetalk: That's one of his promise when he was campaigning for election. For me personally, i dont support this idea totally, i prefer ICT centre in those schools to laptop provision. Lagest percent of those students will definately sell it or misuse it. Facebook has almost occupied the heart of those students rather than their studies.

I quite agree with you but the first thing to be done is to ensure there's regular power supply in the state. I'm serving in one secondary school in Ekiti and I've never noticed power supply for once in the school. Also, I've not been able to use power for a total of three hours in the last three weeks in the apartment I rented. If there's constant power supply, other stuffs like ICT centers and laptop provision can follow. But...

(1) (Reply)

Jamb Subject Combination Problem - HELP / Jamb 2015/2016 Exam This Year Latest School Updates / Pst. Chris Oyakhilome Phd Receives A Doctor Of Science( Dsc )by His Alma Mater

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.