Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,176,850 members, 7,899,026 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 July 2024 at 03:22 AM

My Roommate Smokes: How Can It Affect Me? - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / My Roommate Smokes: How Can It Affect Me? (9145 Views)

Will Masturbation Affect Me In The Future? / Can Premature Expulsion Affect My Chances Of Fathering A Child? / Did It Affect My Chance Of Getting Pregnant? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Roommate Smokes: How Can It Affect Me? by adewale78(m): 3:21pm On Nov 03, 2007
Welcome to the world of smokers and please i will advice you to tell your friend that he need to smoke outside the room and there is danger in you INHALING the fumes of the Light and tree of your friend lipsrsealed
Re: My Roommate Smokes: How Can It Affect Me? by socrates08: 1:05am On Nov 05, 2007
Crack a window and ask him to share! tongue
Re: My Roommate Smokes: How Can It Affect Me? by smile4kenn(m): 6:40pm On Nov 06, 2007
there is nothing wrong with smoking
Re: My Roommate Smokes: How Can It Affect Me? by dyabman(m): 11:45am On Nov 07, 2007
SMOKE WITH HIM, AND DIE YOUNG, YOU BETTER LEAVE HIM ALONE
Re: My Roommate Smokes: How Can It Affect Me? by slimes(m): 10:52am On Nov 09, 2007
Smokes from tobacco are just like the fumes of an engine. I don't think it is right for anyone to smoke in a public place. Ur room mate should smoke when he is alone.
Re: My Roommate Smokes: How Can It Affect Me? by Teetams: 3:50pm On Nov 09, 2007
I can feel the discomfort in you but what i will advise u to do is to talk to your roomate.Sit him down and speak to him.If need be,beg him.Look,if you must solve this problem,you've got to stoop to conquer!!!!!!
Re: My Roommate Smokes: How Can It Affect Me? by ray4t: 11:44pm On Nov 11, 2007
[b][b]Mate my advice is that if it's possible to get him to always smoke outside the room please do bços u 75% chances of having cancer, so pls sort it out and next time make sure u try ur best not to have a room mate of a flat mate that smokes.
i have been in ur shoes b4 its a sad experience
[/b][/b]
Re: My Roommate Smokes: How Can It Affect Me? by Ajikawo(m): 6:31pm On Nov 12, 2007
i think your roommate's tryna help u guys, the tree smoke is meant to chase away bad spirits living in n around your room,so dear friend it's better you join in chasing away evil spirits or leave the room for him to do the cleansing, omo no be UGWU!
Re: My Roommate Smokes: How Can It Affect Me? by mellow(m): 3:29pm On Nov 14, 2007
You are worse off than actual smoker[/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000]
Re: My Roommate Smokes: How Can It Affect Me? by wham(m): 9:57am On Nov 15, 2007
So with all these replies to your post u ought to know that the guy should leave OR u have to leave the room 4 him.

I found myself exactly in the same circumstances back in school. I ended up being a smoker myself after long months of resistance. I had gotten addicted to the menthol sensation subconsciously.

Thank God I'm off the habit now. You too could get adicted even beyond your seeminly strong will against smoking. Its a subconcious thing. The "smoking" may seem anti-social and unhealthy now but u will not see it so when u discover the sensation (the story of the pathetic 2nd hand smoker).

Why doesnt the guy smoke outside the room? Have u confronted him about this issue? What are u waiting 4?

The guy definitely doesnt respect your privacy and your health. Your Health is yours to protect. Your brother obviously doesnt give much thought to it. Leave that room and find a home of your own if things dont change (u could move into a friends place 1st). You have your own life to live (I am assuming u and your brother rented the appartment).

This is LIFE
Re: My Roommate Smokes: How Can It Affect Me? by Oxygen(f): 1:05pm On Nov 15, 2007
Research has generated scientific evidence that secondhand smoke (that is, in the case of cigarettes, a mixture of smoke released from the smoldering end of the cigarette and smoke exhaled by the smoker) causes the same problems as direct smoking, including heart disease,[5] cardiovascular disease, lung cancer, and lung ailments such as COPD, bronchitis and asthma.[6] Specifically, meta-analyses have shown lifelong non-smokers with partners who smoke in the home have a 20–30% greater risk of lung cancer, and those exposed to cigarette smoke in the workplace have an increased risk of 16–19%.[7]

A wide array of negative effects are attributed, in whole or in part, to frequent, long term exposure to second hand smoke.[8][9][10] Some of these effects include:

Cancer:
General: overall increased risk;[11] reviewing the evidence accumulated on a worldwide basis, the International Agency for Research on Cancer concluded in 2002 that "Involuntary smoking (exposure to secondhand or 'environmental' tobacco smoke) is carcinogenic to humans (Group 1)."[12]
Lung cancer: the effect of passive smoking on lung cancer has been extensively studied. A series of studies from the USA from 1986–2003[13][14][15][16][17][18], the UK in 1998[19][20], Australia in 1997[21] and internationally in 2004[22] have consistently shown a significant increase in relative risk among those exposed to passive smoke.
Breast cancer risk is increased by 70% in younger, primarily premenopausal women. The California Environmental Protection Agency has concluded that passive smoking causes breast cancer[3] and the US Surgeon General[23] has concluded that the evidence is "suggestive," one step below causal.
Passive smoking does not appear to be associated with pancreatic cancer[24]
Ear, nose, and throat: risk of ear infections[25]
Circulatory system: risk of heart disease[26]
Lung problems:
Risk of asthma[27][28]
Pregnancy:
Risk of premature birth[29]
General:
Worsening of asthma, allergies, and other conditions[30]
Risk to children[31]
Risk of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS)[32]
Risk of developing asthma[33][34]
Risk of lung infections[35][36][37][38]
More severe illness with bronchiolitis, and worse outcome[39]
Increased risk of developing tuberculosis if exposed to a carrier[40]
Risk of allergies
Risk of Crohn's disease[41]
Risk of learning difficulties, although this may only be in children exposed before birth.[42] Animal models suggest a role for nicotine and carbon monoxide in neurocognitive problems[38]
Overall increased risk of death in both adults, where it is estimated to kill 53,000 nonsmokers per year, making it the 3rd leading cause of preventable death in children and adults.

So young man i think you shoul escape for your dear life undecided
Re: My Roommate Smokes: How Can It Affect Me? by ifele(m): 10:29pm On Mar 14, 2008
Bros,
You see smoking is a reaction to environmental stress. Tobacco is very addictive but it is good to mix with igbo wraps so as to induce a relaxed state of mind. It is hard to relax nowadays. Igbo is better than sex I tell you. It can even improve sexual performance and enjoyment. Igbo is a gift if you some dark ale like Guiness or Kilkenny you can wash it down and throway the burdens men.
Re: My Roommate Smokes: How Can It Affect Me? by ifele(m): 10:43pm On Mar 14, 2008
Bros,
You see smoking is a reaction to environmental stress. Tobacco is very addictive but it is good to mix with igbo wraps so as to induce a relaxed state of mind. It is hard to relax nowadays. Igbo is better than sex I tell you. It can even improve sexual performance and enjoyment. Igbo is a gift if you some dark ale like Guiness or Kilkenny you can wash it down and throway the burdens men.
Re: My Roommate Smokes: How Can It Affect Me? by TOYOSI20(f): 5:25am On Mar 15, 2008
@ Poster

U said it yourself, u are actually beginning to have respiratory problem,

So to avoid further complications, have a talk with him on

the need for him to smoke outside the apartment, otherwise if u can

afford it start making alternative accommodation arrangements, sad

Best wishes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: My Roommate Smokes: How Can It Affect Me? by Kefuie: 4:42am On May 05, 2010
Oh no! Even though you don't smoke, passive smoking or second hand smoking was bad for you. Everyone knows smoking is a bad idea. And by now you've probably heard that breathing in someone else secondhand smoke is also hazardous to your health. It may seem pretty harmless, but secondhand smoke actually contains thousands of chemicals — from arsenic and ammonia to hydrogen cyanide — many of which have been proven to be toxic or to cause cancer (called carcinogens). High concentrations of many of these chemicals are found in secondhand smoke. In fact, secondhand smoke significantly increases a person's risk for:

* respiratory infections (like bronchitis and pneumonia)
    * asthma (secondhand smoke is a risk factor for the development of asthma and can trigger attacks in those who already have it)
    * coughing, sore throats, sniffling, and sneezing
    * cancer
    * heart disease
Try to encourage them to quit smoking, help them before illness hurt them. It is much better to seek the stop smoking benefits than suffer.
I hope this site could help them: http://stopsmokinghabits.com/health-benefits.html

Kefuie

(1) (2) (Reply)

Boost Your Sex Drive Naturally Eat all these . / English Medical Term For Pajapaja / Trying To Build Muscle?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.