Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,178,870 members, 7,906,209 topics. Date: Wednesday, 31 July 2024 at 07:30 AM

European Languages Are Killing African Languages - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / European Languages Are Killing African Languages (4937 Views)

African Languages And Cultures Need To Be Eliminated As Soon As Possible. / Top 10 Most Spoken Nigerian Languages / Learning African Languages (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

European Languages Are Killing African Languages by igbo2011(m): 1:52am On Mar 23, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgNsvnN-IGc&feature=g-all-u&context=G20df38cFAAAAAAAAWAA

It is stupid how so many African countries speak a European language instead of their native language. The only country that speaks their language is Tanzania which is KiSwahili. I think that since most African countries speak European languages, we might as well switch to a common African language. My guess would be KiSwahili since it is the most widely spoken. YES English is important to learn and we can learn it but our official languages should be KiSwahili. The Arabs have Arabs, us Africans should have KiSwahili.

Do you think this is true? What can we do about it?
Re: European Languages Are Killing African Languages by CyberG: 5:00am On Mar 23, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgNsvnN-IGc&feature=g-all-u&context=G20df38cFAAAAAAAAWAA

It is stupid how so many African countries speak a European language instead of their native language. The only country that speaks their language is Tanzania which is KiSwahili. I think that since most African countries speak European languages, we might as well switch to a common African language. My guess would be KiSwahili since it is the most widely spoken. YES English is important to learn and we can learn it but our official languages should be KiSwahili. The Arabs have Arabs, us Africans should have KiSwahili.

First, your premise is a generalization. If you live or move to a country where 80-90% of the people you meet everyday speak a different language, would you expect them to learn your language or you learn theirs? English is widely spoken not because people want to forget their native languages but because hundreds of years ago, there was a British Empire whose sphere of influence covered about a quarter of the planet and could project its power because of its superior technological, industrial, financial and military might. Has Nigeria been able to agree to stop ordinary tribalism among their tribes talk less of building just one armored tank or claim a major technological invention? So, how can you expect Africans to project any kind of power enough to make people want to move to your countries and just learn your language?

Since the British Empire lost their dominant super power status after the second world war, needing the help of the Americans to not only stem Hitler's offensive to capture Europe after taking huge losses, the huge financial resources to rebuild their country, etc they have ever since not fiddled out of world wide dominance or have they? Even Nigeria that was supposedly prosperous in the 60s, 70s and early 80s have succeeded in being mismanaged and run into the ground with corruption and violence everywhere, is this how foreigners will come to learn your language?

Finally, it is simply BS to suggest that Africans don't speak their language! Privileged kids who went to "Americanized" schools in Nigeria and spoke better English since little kids have not forgotten how to speak their Nigerian language at all and I am one! Since then, I learned Hausa when I lived in Northern parts of Nigeria, Igbo when I lived in the East and of course ex-girlfriends wink, now it is French and maybe later German - yet I have not forgotten any one word of my Nigerian language! I speak English which such a foreign accent yet I am totally Nigerian and even if I don't hear everything in other Nigerian languages, I can get by plus I speak pidgin and understand perfectly! So what is your point? So, does learning new subjects or specializing in one area make you forget the one you knew previously?
Re: European Languages Are Killing African Languages by Lucy001(f): 8:25am On Mar 23, 2012
^^^ I think wat d Op was meant to hv written on was African's should hv a kind of common language, dat perhaps should be spoken wildly, just like French, English, etc.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: European Languages Are Killing African Languages by Afam4eva(m): 1:41pm On Mar 23, 2012
Why should we adopt swahilli and not English or french? Why not Igbo, hausa or Yoruba? At times i baffle at the way some Igbos reason. Everyone is trying to put their language on the map and here is someone with a username "Igbo2011" telling us to adopt a language from another African country.

1 Like

Re: European Languages Are Killing African Languages by olayinka1987: 1:46pm On Mar 23, 2012
I know the Igbo language is dying and who's fault is that? If the Igbos are too lazy too teach their children the language what do you expect?

1 Like

Re: European Languages Are Killing African Languages by olayinka1987: 1:48pm On Mar 23, 2012
afam4eva: Why should we adopt swahilli and not English or french? Why not Igbo, hausa or Yoruba? At times i baffle at the way some Igbos reason. Everyone is trying to put their language on the map and here is someone with a username "Igbo2011" telling us to adopt a language from another African country.

This is nothing new. Igbos are known for talking rubbish. Take no notice of these people. Why on Earth should I adopt swahilli? Stupid person.

2 Likes

Re: European Languages Are Killing African Languages by Nobody: 3:39pm On Mar 23, 2012
no we are killing it ourselves. There is nothing stopping us from being able to speak our mother tongue and an Euro language fluently. All the British born Asians I know speak their native language and the English language fluently even though they were born and bred in Britain.
Re: European Languages Are Killing African Languages by olayinka1987: 3:42pm On Mar 23, 2012
igbo2011:

Do you even speak Igbo yourself?
Re: European Languages Are Killing African Languages by igbo2011(m): 8:30pm On Mar 23, 2012
olayinka1987:

Do you even speak Igbo yourself?
No but I am learning it and practicing it everyday. My parents never spoke it or taught but I want my future children to know atleast 2 African languages so I want to learn igbo before they are born.

afam4eva: Why should we adopt swahilli and not English or french? Why not Igbo, hausa or Yoruba? At times i baffle at the way some Igbos reason. Everyone is trying to put their language on the map and here is someone with a username "Igbo2011" telling us to adopt a language from another African country.
it doesn't matter what the language is man. All I am saying is that instead of us using a European language, we should just use an African one. Since KiSwahili is widely spoken let's just take it. We can stil have our langauges but our COMMON language in Africa will be KiSwahili. This will make it easier to do business with other Africans and this will give somewhat more unity since we have more in common.

Afam I know we are both Igbo, I have nothing against Igbos, Yoruba, Hausas, etc. I don't really care I am a pan-African. I believe in the unity of people of African descent world wide. We should just settle with KiSwahili since it is widely spoken.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: European Languages Are Killing African Languages by Afam4eva(m): 8:45pm On Mar 23, 2012
igbo2011:
it doesn't matter what the language is man. All I am saying is that instead of us using a European language, we should just use an African one. Since KiSwahili is widely spoken let's just take it. We can stil have our langauges but our COMMON language in Africa will be KiSwahili. This will make it easier to do business with other Africans and this will give somewhat more unity since we have more in common.

Afam I know we are both Igbo, I have nothing against Igbos, Yoruba, Hausas, etc. I don't really care I am a pan-African. I believe in the unity of people of African descent world wide. We should just settle with KiSwahili since it is widely spoken.

It matters a great deal. What the f***k is my business with swahilli. I'll rather speak english. Give me Igbo anyday.

I'll advise you to start putting Igbo first in anything you do because that's what you're. I don't want to imagine that if you were among the people chosen to vote on a common language in Africa, you will vote swahilli. That will be stupidity my friend.
Re: European Languages Are Killing African Languages by igbo2011(m): 12:37am On Mar 24, 2012
afam4eva:

It matters a great deal. What the f***k is my business with swahilli. I'll rather speak english. Give me Igbo anyday.

I'll advise you to start putting Igbo first in anything you do because that's what you're. I don't want to imagine that if you were among the people chosen to vote on a common language in Africa, you will vote swahilli. That will be stupidity my friend.

80 million people speak KiSwahili and the only lingua franca in Africa is Tanzania where they speak KiSwahili. Even though there are many other langauges there they chose on a common one. Most Africans woul rather speak European languages than a different ethnicity's. Tribalism will lead to the end of Africans. We will be wiped off like the Native Americans if we don't unite as one. Look what is happening to Palestine, they can do that to Africa too.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: European Languages Are Killing African Languages by Afam4eva(m): 12:11pm On Mar 24, 2012
igbo2011:
80 million people speak KiSwahili and the only lingua franca in Africa is Tanzania where they speak KiSwahili. Even though there are many other langauges there they chose on a common one. Most Africans woul rather speak European languages than a different ethnicity's. Tribalism will lead to the end of Africans. We will be wiped off like the Native Americans if we don't unite as one. Look what is happening to Palestine, they can do that to Africa too.

Like i said, evryone should be fighting for their own language. I'm not swahilli, so it will be more than stupid of me to be advocating for swahilly when i have my own language(Igbo). Who cares how many people speak swahilli. Biko stop this madness that Igbos are known for and stop being irrationally inferior. What is wrong with Igbo being the spoken language in Africa?
Re: European Languages Are Killing African Languages by Dede1(m): 7:44pm On Mar 24, 2012
@OP

Please get some education and stop the ignorant analogy of England and Africa. In comparable stance, Europe and Africa should be in the level of reference. Since Europe did not adopt English language as official language, it will foolhardy for anybody to expect Africa to adopt Kiswahili or whatever as official language of Africa.

Whenever you go to or stop at Milan, Italy try asking direction in English language. You will be treated like a slowpoke and the Italians will pretend that they did not hear a word of English you have spoken.
Re: European Languages Are Killing African Languages by cfours: 8:25pm On Mar 24, 2012
isn't this what Boko Haram is fighting against?
Re: European Languages Are Killing African Languages by igbo2011(m): 11:50am On Mar 26, 2012
afam4eva:

Like i said, evryone should be fighting for their own language. I'm not swahilli, so it will be more than stupid of me to be advocating for swahilly when i have my own language(Igbo). Who cares how many people speak swahilli. Biko stop this madness that Igbos are known for and stop being irrationally inferior. What is wrong with Igbo being the spoken language in Africa?
It doesn't matter man. Also, KiSwahili has a standard dialect. Igbo has different dialects like Aham bu Nnamdi and Afam bu Nnamdi. Iti s different. I don't really care what the language is but if we had each African vote KiSwahili would win since people who speak Swahili are like 80 million.

Dede1: @OP

Please get some education and stop the ignorant analogy of England and Africa. In comparable stance, Europe and Africa should be in the level of reference. Since Europe did not adopt English language as official language, it will foolhardy for anybody to expect Africa to adopt Kiswahili or whatever as official language of Africa.

Whenever you go to or stop at Milan, Italy try asking direction in English language. You will be treated like a slowpoke and the Italians will pretend that they did not hear a word of English you have spoken.
I am very educated FYI also Italians speak THEIR language, Ro0manians speak THEIR langauge. Africans speak EUROPEAN languages (besides Tanzania). DO you see htis?? I have met Africans born and raised in Africa who cannot speak their native language. I have never met an Asian who can't speak their native tongue. India, Malaysia, Philippines were all colonized but they still speak their language. Do you see the difference?

In SOuth Americans when the Spanish and Portuguese conquered them, they LOSt their language. YES Europeans mixed with each other but their native tongue is almost gone. The native language in Bolivia is Kechewa but Spanish dominates. THis will happen to Africa if we don't wake up.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: European Languages Are Killing African Languages by KnowAll(m): 12:18pm On Mar 26, 2012
Hausas has more than 100 million speakers

Yoruba has more than 100 million speakers(I am taken into account many other little tribes in Nigeria that can speak the language due to the influence of Lagos) Most Edo’s , DELTA people including Igbo’s(even the late IKEMBA sef), Ijaws, Igala’s and Hausas that grew up in Lagos can speak Yoruba not forgetting the native speakers in the Republic of Benin and Togo.

Since only 80 million Africans speak Swahali, the Nigerian language of Yoruba or Hausas should be the African language of choice and not Swahili.
cool
Re: European Languages Are Killing African Languages by igbo2011(m): 11:03pm On Mar 26, 2012
KnowAll: Hausas has more than 100 million speakers

Yoruba has more than 100 million speakers(I am taken into account many other little tribes in Nigeria that can speak the language due to the influence of Lagos) Most Edo’s , DELTA people including Igbo’s(even the late IKEMBA sef), Ijaws, Igala’s and Hausas that grew up in Lagos can speak Yoruba not forgetting the native speakers in the Republic of Benin and Togo.

Since only 80 million Africans speak Swahali, the Nigerian language of Yoruba or Hausas should be the African language of choice and not Swahili.
cool
I don;'t care what the language is as long as iti s African. I don't want to see African langauges die. We need to speak our langauges.

There are also Yorubas in Brazil who still have Yoruba gods and keep the language. Also, where is your source for 100 million Hausa and Yoruba speakers?
Re: European Languages Are Killing African Languages by cfours: 2:46am On Mar 27, 2012
igbo2011:
I don;'t care what the language is as long as iti s African. I don't want to see African langauges die. We need to speak our langauges.

There are also Yorubas in Brazil who still have Yoruba gods and keep the language. Also, where is your source for 100 million Hausa and Yoruba speakers?

African languages are not going to die anytime soon. that's for sure. so long as we are not developing.
If we become "developed", then there will be a cause for concern. grin

most people on this website for example, are educated english speaking folks from middle class upbringing. so we are "developed" compared to the average or poor African who are the true guardian of our language and traditions. grin
Re: European Languages Are Killing African Languages by igbo2011(m): 3:57am On Mar 29, 2012
The official Pan-African language is KiSwahili. It is spoken all over east Africa. I don't feel "inferior" at all.
c.fours:

African languages are not going to die anytime soon. that's for sure. so long as we are not developing.
If we become "developed", then there will be a cause for concern. grin

most people on this website for example, are educated english speaking folks from middle class upbringing. so we are "developed" compared to the average or poor African who are the true guardian of our language and traditions. grin

I hope our language doesn't die, we will be like the indigenous people of South America. Their language is almost gone.
Re: European Languages Are Killing African Languages by cfours: 7:28am On Mar 30, 2012
igbo2011: The official Pan-African language is KiSwahili. It is spoken all over east Africa. I don't feel "inferior" at all.

I hope our language doesn't die, we will be like the indigenous people of South America. Their language is almost gone.

lol. Swahili (East Africa) is not an indigenous African language. It's a mix of Arab, western and indigenous languages kinda like an equivalent of pidgin English spoken all over West Africa.
all people I know who speak swahili also have a native language (whether they can speak their native language or not is another question).

at your second point: well, the real indigenous people of South America are almost gone. They have died or intermarried into extinction so it is natural that their language will die with them.
Re: European Languages Are Killing African Languages by antartica(m): 8:14am On Mar 30, 2012
Language is like a fast running river,it moves from point to point. Africans are not evolving,therefore,their language and every other thing originally associated with them are dying. For a people to evolve,they have to be original,intuitive,creative,self-sufficient,authoritative and progressive.
Re: European Languages Are Killing African Languages by igbo2011(m): 2:36am On Apr 01, 2012
c.fours:

lol. Swahili (East Africa) is not an indigenous African language. It's a mix of Arab, western and indigenous languages kinda like an equivalent of pidgin English spoken all over West Africa.
all people I know who speak swahili also have a native language (whether they can speak their native language or not is another question).

at your second point: well, the real indigenous people of South America are almost gone. They have died or intermarried into extinction so it is natural that their language will die with them.

It doesn't matter what the langauge is, OI rather speak an African language in Nigeria than a European one. I don't care if English is the international business language, people can learn it on their spare time but we must have our langauge first.

Also people were saying that I have an "Igbo Inferiority" but they said that they rather speak a European language then KiSwahili so does that mean they have an "African inferiority"?
Re: European Languages Are Killing African Languages by Onlytruth(m): 2:42am On Apr 01, 2012

How do you know that the OP is Igbo?
Re: European Languages Are Killing African Languages by ifyalways(f): 4:16pm On Apr 01, 2012
^i wanted to ask that.

Lol
Re: European Languages Are Killing African Languages by ChinenyeN(m): 12:34am On Apr 02, 2012
It matters a lot, what the language is. If I wouldn't give up my own tongue to speak Annang, my next door neighbour, how much more Swahili that I know not? Why must I bother myself with other people's tongues sef? Let them just come and learn Ngwa grin
Re: European Languages Are Killing African Languages by Afam4eva(m): 10:24am On Apr 03, 2012
Onlytruth:

How do you know that the OP is Igbo?

I guess i'm not sure but i've met a lot of Igbos that reason like the OP. That is what has gottent us to where we are in nigeria. We always want to please others without thinking of the Igbo interest. If i'm asked to vote for a global language, i'll definitely choose Igbo ahead of English, WTF.
Re: European Languages Are Killing African Languages by TerryCarr(m): 6:43am On Jul 11, 2012
even the mostly monocultural nations are killing their culture it's sad cry
Re: European Languages Are Killing African Languages by TerryCarr(m): 6:46am On Jul 11, 2012
c.fours:

swahili is a indigenous African language it just has a bunch of loan words from Arabic, english etc
Re: European Languages Are Killing African Languages by Ptolomeus(m): 6:27pm On Jul 11, 2012
igbo2011:

It doesn't matter what the langauge is, OI rather speak an African language in Nigeria than a European one. I don't care if English is the international business language, people can learn it on their spare time but we must have our langauge first.

Also people were saying that I have an "Igbo Inferiority" but they said that they rather speak a European language then KiSwahili so does that mean they have an "African inferiority"?
This is the opinion of a foreigner, so I hope not to offend anyone. My opinion is not charged of tribal rivalry, or historical resentments.
I understand that the invaders imposed their culture, traditions and language. Very cleverly, they were removing all vestige of African culture, traditions, and of course, language.
When you say "African inferiority," I associate that with certain inferiority complex developed by the African to European.
It seems that the best African culture is a symbol of late, and that even the British are admired waste!.
Africa suffers a crisis of identity ... for the sake of your children and grandchildren struggle to regain its essence, its roots! and possibly every African language is the best example of what each one of you is and represents.
It's just a humble opinion.
My respects.
Re: European Languages Are Killing African Languages by StarFlux: 1:00am On Jul 12, 2012
I'm not following your way of thought. Smaller European languages are under just as much pressure from English as African languages. This is not about African or European languages, it's about pressure on all languages from one language: English. French and Spanish really don't pose much of a threat. It's more or less English dominating.

And guess what? It's really easy to just keep talking your language. Problem occurs when people don't hold on to their own language. You must push your language forwards, not backwards by not speaking it. But I agree, English shouldn't be an official language in any African state. I'm not saying English is inferior, because it's also a language, but the world would be just a one colored place with only one language.

(1) (Reply)

Iriji- New Yam Festival In Igbo Land / Ela In Creation Myth Of Yoruba As The First Word Spoken By Eledumare / Please Do Hausa Tribe Practice Their Culture Or Only Islamic Laws Rule Them.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.