Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,491 members, 7,892,029 topics. Date: Wednesday, 17 July 2024 at 03:23 AM

Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! (8795 Views)

Is Purgatory In The Bible? / 5 Birthday Gift You Must Present To Jesus Christ Today. / Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! by Nobody: 9:23am On Mar 30, 2012
The identities of these imprisoned spirits were explicitly stated in that very passage.They were said to have been those who perished in Noah's flood.

9By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;

20Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

This passage made it so clear that only eight people were saved while the rest perished.There is absolutely nothing in this passage to suggest it was referring to angels

26. real_Berni: Quote Post

@chukwudi44

pls, seem you mix things up a bit,until we are through with 1 peter 3:19-21,before we can steadily go further, but let me make it clearer;

It is obvious from the passage above that there are to wait for the judgement day.The last time I checked we re still expecting the judgement day.

the bible verse (2peter 2:4)did not neccesarily mention 'the common judgement day' which is meant for the ressurection of the human dead.
but did mention that the 'spirit Angels' were reserved 'unto judjement',not 'judgement day'. where they are kept, that is,the custudy where they are 'awaiting their trial' is the prison.

remember that angels are reffered to as spirits,and not 'souls' see proofs below,

King James Version (KJV)
7And of the angels he saith, Who maketh his angels spirits, and his ministers a flame of fire.
'souls' were used for 'living humans'

you are the only one that has only replace 'spirit in prison' to 'souls' in prison, that is not what bible teach sir.

as i have pointed out earlier, you have confused 'spirit' for 'souls' Angels are spirits (Hebrews 1:7;7And of the angels he saith, Who maketh his angels spirits)

while souls were used for 'living humans' noah and his household,its clearer now!.

Angels are the disobedience 'spirits in prison' or custudy awaiting 'judgemement,

the other disbedient souls has perished with the flood,and does not exist anywhere,the disobedient souls are dead! confirm it from your bible that soul that sinneth dies Exekiel 18:4,20 it will be strange to you,unfortunately thats what bible says clearly below;
Ezekiel 18:4
King James Version (KJV)
4Behold, all souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine: the soul that sinneth, it shall die.

chukwudi44,

1 Peter 4:5-6

New International Version (NIV)

5 But they will have to give account to him who is ready to judge the living and the dead. 6 For this is the reason the gospel was preached even to those who are now dead, so that they might be judged according to human standards in regard to the body, but live according to God in regard to the spirit.

The above above passage makes it abundantly clear that the spirits mentioned in the earlier passage refers to souls of humans who perished in Noah's flood

nek-ros'
the hebrew word used here for dead nek_ros' unfortunately used is not what you think,it is used differently, ,check the same use of 'dead' nek-ros' below Matthew 8:22

While Death is used metaphorically in several bible passages there is nothing in that passage to suggest it was used in that sense.That was a further explaination of the preceding verses in chapter three were It was explicitly stated that Jesus preached to those who died in noah's flood
Re: Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! by Nobody: 9:38am On Mar 30, 2012
Since you asked for bible passages I would now paste some bible passages to back up my case about saul's encounter with the witch of endor which I didn't do in my previous case in order to prove my case that spirits are also used in the bible to describe humans.

1 samuel 28 : 8 so saul disguised himself.He put on differant cloaks and after dark he went with two of his. Men to see the woman.Consult the spirits for me and tell me what is going to happen.

1 sam 28:13

1 see a spirit comming up from the earth she answered.what does it look like he asked?Its an old man comming up she answered he is wearing a cloak.Then saul knew it was samuel. And he bowed down his head in respect
Re: Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! by Nobody: 9:47am On Mar 30, 2012
real_Berni: [b]@chukwudi44

pls, seem you mix things up a bit,until we are through with 1 peter 3:19-21,before we can steadily go further, but let me make it clearer;

the bible verse (2peter 2:4)did not neccesarily mention 'the common judgement day' which is meant for the ressurection of the human dead.
but did mention that the 'spirit Angels' were reserved 'unto judjement',not 'judgement day'. where they are kept, that is,the custudy where they are 'awaiting their trial' is the prison.

remember that angels are reffered to as spirits,and not 'souls' see proofs below,

King James Version (KJV)
7And of the angels he saith, Who maketh his angels spirits, and his ministers a flame of fire.
'souls' were used for 'living humans'

you are the only one that has only replace 'spirit in prison' to 'souls' in prison, that is not what bible teach sir.

chukwudi44,quote

noo,i never agree in salvation for angels after death,because they are 'spirits'already.that is your own assertion.

chukwudi44

as i have pointed out earlier, you have confused 'spirit' for 'souls' Angels are spirits (Hebrews 1:7;7And of the angels he saith, Who maketh his angels spirits)

while souls were used for 'living humans' noah and his household,its clearer now!.

Angels are the disobedience 'spirits in prison' or custudy awaiting 'judgemement,

the other disbedient souls has perished with the flood,and does not exist anywhere,the disobedient souls are dead! confirm it from your bible that soul that sinneth dies Exekiel 18:4,20 it will be strange to you,unfortunately thats what bible says clearly below;
Ezekiel 18:4
King James Version (KJV)
4Behold, all souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine: the soul that sinneth, it shall die.

chukwudi44,

νεκρός

nekros

nek-ros'
the hebrew word used here for dead nek_ros' unfortunately used is not what you think,it is used differently, ,check the same use of 'dead' nek-ros' below Matthew 8:22
King James Version (KJV)
22But Jesus said unto him, Follow me; and let the dead bury their dead.
let me ask, can a dead bury dead? or souls in prison bury theirself? it shows a figurative usage,

you seem to pick this particular bible verse 'out from the point' peter was making to the christian gentiles and jews ,

and to prove this, lets read it from verse one to that verse 6;

1 Peter 4:1-6,

1Forasmuch then as Christ hath suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind: for he that hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sin;

2That he no longer should live the rest of his time in the flesh to the lusts of men, but to the will of God.

3For the time past of our life may suffice us to have wrought the will of the Gentiles, when we walked in lasciviousness, lusts, excess of wine, revellings, banquetings, and abominable idolatries:

4Wherein they think it strange that ye run not with them to the same excess of riot, speaking evil of you:

5Who shall give account to him that is ready to judge the quick and the dead.

6For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.

Peter is talking about those that are spiritually dead – that is, have no understanding of Gods will for what ever reason. They become spiritually alive or active when by the grace of God they accept our Lord Jesus as their saviour by means of the ransom(1 pet.verse 1-3)

Ephesians 2:1-5

“1 And you hath he made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins; 2 In which in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience: 3 Among whom also we all had our manner of life in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.
4 But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love with which he loved us, 5 Even when we were dead in sins, hath made us alive together with Christ, (by grace ye are savedwink” (Revised Webster's Version) Before we accepted Jesus ransom we are under the curse of Adams sin and death awaits (verse 1) and Paul was saying that even though they were in the flesh they had been awaken in a spiritual way.

summary,

1#1 peter 4:6 was not reffering to the issue concerning noah and eight souls or the angelic spirits that sinned and kept 'in prison' for judgement.

2#1 peter 4:6 but dead as used in the paragraph agrees with the point made in previous verses 1-3, 'those that are spiritually dead' ephesian 2:5 throws more light, (5 Even when [size=12pt]we were dead in sins, hath made us alive together with Christ,
(by grace ye are savedwink
peter was actually reffering to 'preaching to sinners' read the idea from 1 pet 4:1-5.it does not have any connection whatsoever with 1 peter 3:19-21, totally different broth
er.
[/size]

chukwudi44

since this one deals more on baptism,a different issue,i will expound on that but lets reach a conclusion in the above discussion first,dont let us mix things up,at least for people following the tread too.

cheers,[/b]

These two verses are not dissimilar in any way from the earlier passages we have discussing there are all talking about salvation after death which is the focal point of our argument.

Also were I to apply your definition of "death" to 1 John 5:16-17,it would make a mess of all your assertions and will further strengthen the catholic doctrine of purgatory how ironic!!!
Re: Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! by Nobody: 9:57am On Mar 30, 2012
The passages I am referring to in the post below are 1 cor 15:29 and 1 john 5 :16-17
Re: Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! by PastorAIO: 12:42pm On Mar 30, 2012
real_Berni: @passtorAIO

passtorAIO,QUOTE

can you kindly prove the bible verse that mention God of Abraham Isaac and Esau'to support your claim,
its very important because we want to establish 'what the bible teaches' and it can be done by quoting correctly bible verses to support our claims.
i have pointed it out before my last post of which you responded to,that 'any assertion should be backed up by at least a bible verse',that is the only way we can learn,because bible 'interpretes itself'.
so, show us where you Got God of Abraham Isaac and Esau so as to learn from you as a pastor.
thanks

Are you trying to jump on the fact that I mentioned Esau and not Jacob? So that is what your argument has been reduced to. Pedantry!!

If you don't know the verse that I'm talking about then no wahala.
Re: Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! by realBerni: 5:01pm On Mar 30, 2012
[b]@chukwudi44

chukudi44's quotes
Spirits and souls are used interchangeably in the bible.Besides spirits were also used to describe human as in the case of samuel when saul consulted the medium at endor

WHOA! WHOA!WHOAAA! incredible, using a claim by a spiritistic medium to prove porgatory!is that what 'the bible teach'? and from the whole bible, the only place you finnally try hold on to 'support your claim was 'what the woman sorcerer of endor said'.
okay, Do i agree that the catholic relies on sorcerers and spiritistic reference to prove porgatory? if you can not support your claim with authentic bible verse then that is the implication of citing a sorcerer as a reference.
let me also pointed out that,your translation does not agree with king james version,which is Generally accepted by christians read below;

The above above passage makes it abundantly clear that the spirits mentioned in the earlier passage refers to souls of humans who perished in Noah's flood

you have not even prove to us or convince us that 'spirit' and 'souls' are same,so until you do that,before we can proceed,

and there was no even 'a mention of noah'in that whole chapter 4,before and after,so how you connect 1pet 4:6 only to 1pet3:19-21 is a mystery,disregarding the whole chapter 4.

but what is clear was that Angels are certified as spirits with evidences, and this spirits sinned during noahs days,taking wives for theirself and bear childrens,their sin was that they left 'their original abode' and were thrown into custudy 'or' prison,awaiting judgement.they do not need to die,because they are spirit already,that certified that since spirit Angels were also reffered to as spirits,and sinned in connection with the people in noahs day,and since it was only spirit that was recorded as being 'spirit in prison,now the burden of proofs now lie on you to proof beyond reasonable doubt that,spirits are also souls,

failure to do that shows that the notion of porgatory has no basis from biblical truth.

Since you asked for bible passages I would now paste some bible passages to back up my case about saul's encounter with the witch of endor which I didn't do in my previous case in order to prove my case that spirits are also used in the bible to describe humans.

1 samuel 28 : 8 so saul disguised himself.He put on differant cloaks and after dark he went with two of his. Men to see the woman.Consult the spirits for me and tell me what is going to happen.

1 see a spirit comming up from the earth she answered.what does it look like he asked?Its an old man comming up she answered he is wearing a cloak.Then saul knew it was samuel. And he bowed down his head in respect

I chalenge you to show us the bible translation that translate both this (1 sam 28:8,13)a single bible translation where verse 8 and 13 both use spirits,but then thats not the issue here,the issue is 'to cite a reliable verse.
now lets compare Your translations to few translations;from your quote above,(1sam 28:cool 'consult the spirits'for me....,(King james Version);divine unto me by the familiar spirit,....(NIV)..“Consult a spirit for me,”
'consult the spirit',or 'consult a spirit'or'divine to me a failiar spirit' like the yorubas spiritualists in Nigeria,they do 'consult what they call ifa orunmila spirit' or 'sango spirit',its not different from what the soccerer that saul met consult,they are unclean spirits,demons,if i may say, all shows unscriptural means that are not reliable quotes for christian.

1 Samuel 28:8
King James Version (KJV)
8And Saul disguised himself, and put on other raiment, and he went, and two men with him, and they came to the woman by night: and he said, I pray thee, divine unto me by the familiar spirit, and bring me him up, whom I shall name unto thee.

1 Samuel 28:13
King James Version (KJV)
13And the king said unto her, Be not afraid: for what sawest thou? And the woman said unto Saul, I saw gods ascending out of the earth.

8 So Saul disguised himself, putting on other clothes, and at night he and two men went to the woman. “Consult a spirit for me,” he said, “and bring up for me the one I name.”

New Living Translation (NLT)
13 “Don’t be afraid!” the king told her. “What do you see?”

I see a god[a] coming up out of the earth,”“ she said.

King James Version(kjv)...'i see gods ascending out of the earth'(NLT)..I see a god[a] coming up out of the earth,”“ she said.

im sure you will be embarassed if you have to settle for relying 'what a sorcerer saw as a 'god''gods''spirit' it doest agree at all
and to cap it all,see the warning that God gave to isrealites concerning spiritism and consulting sorceres below;

Deutronomy 18:9-12

9 “When you come into the land which the Lord your God is giving you, you shall not learn to follow the abominations of those nations. 10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord, and because of these abominations the Lord your God drives them out from before you.

chukwudi44,quote
Also were I to apply your definition of "death" to 1 John 5:16-17,it would make a mess of all your assertions and will further strengthen the catholic doctrine of purgatory how ironic!!!
i start to doubt your understanding of english here,pls pardon me for saying that, because,'dead' is different from 'death' even in application,'dead', so also the hebrew word i earlier quoted,'dead'was reffered to as 'nekros' and 'death' reffered to as than'-at-os,you can check it out for yourself.

#'dead', νεκρός
nekros
nek-ros'
the hebrew word used here for dead nek_ros' 'was figurative'

while

#'death'was
than'-at-os
; (properly an adjective used as a noun) death
pls dont let us mix things together,

now, there is no way that you can apply 'dead' to 'death' in 1 John 5:16-17,except they did not use death!
so since what was used in 1 peter 4:6 was 'dead' nekros..a figurative 'dead'same use with 'dead' in ephesian 2:5,
5 Even when we were dead in sins, hath made us alive together with Christ.

in 1peter 4:6,there was no even 'a mention of noah and eight souls'in that whole chapter 4 from vs 1-19 of 1peter4,

so,to support your evident even from the verse itself(4) is difficult.
cheers. [/b]
Re: Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! by realBerni: 5:18pm On Mar 30, 2012
chukwudi44

so,in conclusion, using sorcerers spiritistic demons to prove what the catholics called porgatory is laughable,its not a true bible teaching,and was rejected by God for his people,Abomination abomination Abomination,see it from old testament quoted below since your proof is from old testament;

9 “When you come into the land which the Lord your God is giving you, you shall not learn to follow the abominations of those nations. 10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord, and because of these abominations the Lord your God drives them out from before you.
Re: Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! by Nobody: 5:43pm On Mar 30, 2012
[/quote
]37. real_Berni: Quote Post

@chukwudi44

chukudi44's quotes

Spirits and souls are used interchangeably in the bible.Besides spirits were also used to describe human as in the case of samuel when saul consulted the medium at endor

WHOA! WHOA!WHOAAA! incredible, using a claim by a spiritistic medium to prove porgatory!is that what 'the bible teach'? and from the whole bible, the only place you finnally try hold on to 'support your claim was 'what the woman sorcerer of endor said'.
okay, Do i agree that the catholic relies on sorcerers and spiritistic reference to prove porgatory? if you can not support your claim with authentic bible verse then that is the implication of citing a sorcerer as a reference.
let me also pointed out that,your translation does not agree with king james version,which is Generally accepted by christians read below;

[quote]

I will just take it that you did not understand my comments there and not that you are simply being mischievious

I made that comment to prove to you that spirits were also used to describe humans and not to use it to validate the doctrine of purgatory.That passage has got nothing to do with purgatory even though it is a proof of human communication with the dead.My comments were clear enough to show my intentions for posting that comment as I further explained thus;

I wonder why you now turn around to twist this comment
Re: Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! by Nobody: 5:49pm On Mar 30, 2012
[/quote]37. real_Berni: Quote Post

@chukwudi44

chukudi44's quotes

and there was no even 'a mention of noah'in that whole chapter 4,before and after,so how you connect 1pet 4:6 only to 1pet3:19-21 is a mystery,disregarding the whole chapter 4.

[quote]

You are really amazing character!! Trying to disprove my claim on the basis that Noah was not mentioned in chapter 4 while your fallen angel theory was not even mentioned in the entire book of 1 peter how hypocritical!!!
Re: Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! by PastorAIO: 6:07pm On Mar 30, 2012
This Thread is a brilliant study in the process of biblical interpretations. real_berni, starting with the notion that the dead cannot be saved and that there is nothing that can be done for the dead, must now turn to the bible and read certain passages through a contorting lense. And those passages that cannot be contorted must simply be ignored. And simple arguments must be misunderstood. For instance the issue of 'spirits' being applied to humans in the episode of Endor must be misunderstood as chukwudi's proof of purgatory.

And woe unto the guy who makes a mistake and calls the patriarch Abraham, Isaac and ESAU, rather than Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. The entire thread will then become a discussion about the mistake, unless the guy is fast enough to realise the ploy and knock it straight on the head.
Re: Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! by bigsean(m): 6:52pm On Mar 30, 2012
@Pastor AIO, i have not seen any of ur post before, take it from me u are too smart to be part of a "faith" based religion.
Most of ur post (if not all) on this topic are on point.
"It is this arrogance that leads to wars!" And that is my sole problem with any faith based reasoning.
Re: Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! by buzugee(m): 7:18pm On Mar 30, 2012
PASTOR AIO who said i was jesting ? i was serious grin
Re: Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! by PastorAIO: 7:48pm On Mar 30, 2012
buzugee: PASTOR AIO who said i was jesting ? i was serious grin

I guess I was hoping that you were jesting. Now you say you're not, then that puts everything into another perspective.
Re: Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! by realBerni: 8:23pm On Mar 30, 2012
[b] @chukwudi44

You are really amazing character!! Trying to disprove my claim on the basis that Noah was not mentioned in chapter 4 while your fallen angel theory was not even mentioned in the entire book of 1 peter how hypocritical!!!

chukwudi,pls lets be real here,i appreciate the fact that you are a christian and also keep the conversation friendly,and im enjoying this discussion,but we cannot jump from 1peter 3:19-21 straight to 1peter 4:6 denying the point of discussion in chapter 4; preeceeding vs6 below;

1 Peter 4:1-6
King James Version (KJV)
1 Peter 4

1Forasmuch then as Christ hath suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind: for he that hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sin;

2That he no longer should live the rest of his time in the flesh to the lusts of men, but to the will of God.

3For the time past of our life may suffice us to have wrought the will of the Gentiles, when we walked in lasciviousness, lusts, excess of wine, revellings, banquetings, and abominable idolatries:

4Wherein they think it strange that ye run not with them to the same excess of riot, speaking evil of you:

6For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.

vs 1-3 (in green above)actually highlight what we as christians must be 'dead' to, christians that are living the life highligted in verse 3 above (3For the time past of our life may suffice us to have wrought the will of the Gentiles, when we walked in lasciviousness, lusts, excess of wine, revellings, banquetings, and abominable idolatriessmileyare regarded as 'dead' in christ.

but vs 6 above was only saying that 'for this cause,the gospel was preached 'to them who are dead' (neckros) a figurative 'dead' those living the immoral lives in vs3 are 'figuratively dead' but,that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.
living according to God in spirit
romans 8:7-9;
7Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.

8So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.

9But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

chukwudi, you cant deny that the preceeding verses (1-5)before verse 6 is talking about works of the flesh,so how will it now jump to refer to the issue of 'spirits in prison'and did not even mention 'prison in the whole chapter'

chukwudi's quote
I will just take it that you did not understand my comments there and not that you are simply being mischievious

I made that comment to prove to you that spirits were also used to describe humans and not to use it to validate the doctrine of purgatory.That passage has got nothing to do with purgatory even though it is a proof of human communication with the dead.My comments were clear enough to show my intentions for posting that comment as I further explained thus;

i understood what you are trying to say, 'to prove that spirits were also used to describe humans' but by who? thats it,
let me give an example here;
jesus was described here as casting out devil using the power of 'belzebub', now can we rely on this assertion as a fact,thereby doubting jesus? no, why because we also want to know 'who' make the 'statement' thereby we drop the assertion and treat it as if it was never mentioned.
because we dont also believe the source,or no other person agrees with that.

so since there appears to be no other credible instances except the demonic sorcerers 'spirit' that God himself has warned his people 'not to share the belief'with those people, we do not even need to cite that as the spirit we are talking about.

luke 11:14,15.
14And he was casting out a devil, and it was dumb. And it came to pass, when the devil was gone out, the dumb spake; and the people wondered.

15But some of them said, He casteth out devils through Beelzebub the chief of the devils.
[/b]
Re: Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! by Nobody: 8:28pm On Mar 30, 2012
[/quote]37. real_Berni: Quote Post

@chukwudi44

chukudi44's quotes

you have not even prove to us or convince us that 'spirit' and 'souls' are same,so until you do that,before we can proceed,

but what is clear was that Angels are certified as spirits with evidences, and this spirits sinned during noahs days,taking wives for theirself and bear childrens,their sin was that they left 'their original abode' and were thrown into custudy 'or' prison,awaiting judgement.they do not need to die,because they are spirit already,that certified that since spirit Angels were also reffered to as spirits,and sinned in connection with the people in noahs day,and since it was only spirit that was recorded as being 'spirit in prison,now the burden of proofs now lie on you to proof beyond reasonable doubt that,spirits are also souls,

failure to do that shows that the notion of porgatory has no basis from biblical truth.

I chalenge you to show us the bible translation that translate both this (1 sam 28:8,13)a single bible translation where verse 8 and 13 both use spirits,but then thats not the issue here,the issue is 'to cite a reliable verse.

now lets compare Your translations to few translations;from your quote above,(1sam 28: 'consult the spirits'for me....,(King james Version);divine unto me by the familiar spirit,....(NIV)..“Consult a spirit for me,”
'consult the spirit',or 'consult a spirit'or'divine to me a failiar spirit' like the yorubas spiritualists in Nigeria,they do 'consult what they call ifa orunmila spirit' or 'sango spirit',its not different from what the soccerer that saul met consult,they are unclean spirits,demons,if i may say, all shows unscriptural means that are not reliable quotes for christian.

King James Version (KJV)
8And Saul disguised himself, and put on other raiment, and he went, and two men with him, and they came to the woman by night: and he said, I pray thee, divine unto me by the familiar spirit, and bring me him up, whom I shall name unto thee.

King James Version (KJV)
13And the king said unto her, Be not afraid: for what sawest thou? And the woman said unto Saul, I saw gods ascending out of the earth.

8 So Saul disguised himself, putting on other clothes, and at night he and two men went to the woman. “Consult a spirit for me,” he said, “and bring up for me the one I name.”

New Living Translation (NLT)
13 “Don’t be afraid!” the king told her. “What do you see?”

I see a god[a] coming up out of the earth,”“ she said.

King James Version(kjv)...'i see gods ascending out of the earth'(NLT)..I see a god[a] coming up out of the earth,”“ she said.

im sure you will be embarassed if you have to settle for relying 'what a sorcerer saw as a 'god''gods''spirit' it doest agree at all
and to cap it all,see the warning that God gave to isrealites concerning spiritism and consulting sorceres below;

chukwudi44,quote

i start to doubt your understanding of english here,pls pardon me for saying that, because,'dead' is different from 'death' even in application,'dead', so also the hebrew word i earlier quoted,'dead'was reffered to as 'nekros' and 'death' reffered to as than'-at-os,you can check it out for yourself.

#'dead', νεκρός
nekros
nek-ros'
the hebrew word used here for dead nek_ros' 'was figurative'

while

#'death'was
than'-at-os
; (properly an adjective used as a noun) death
pls dont let us mix things together,

now, there is no way that you can apply 'dead' to 'death' in 1 John 5:16-17,except they did not use death!
so since what was used in 1 peter 4:6 was 'dead' nekros..a figurative 'dead'same use with 'dead' I
n ephesian 2:5,
5 Even when we were dead in sins, hath made us alive together with Christ.
[quote]

This is the height of gramatical gymnastics.there is nothing one would not see on NL.

If I were to infere from this your analysis "three days after Jesus became dead" would not be same as "three days after the death of Jesus" that is more than wonderful!!!!
Re: Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! by realBerni: 8:47pm On Mar 30, 2012
@ pastorAIO
I respected you,and if you did not react to my post,i will not have react to yours,see my comment yo your post;

your quote,pastor
so the metaphorical use of the word 'dead' in matthew must now be automatically applied to 2Peter too. Na wa o! All this strengthens my arguments about the lack of rigour in interpretations.

When Jesus says that The God of Abraham Isaac and Esau cannot be the god of the dead, what does that say about the patriarchs?
Now as a pastor,if actually you are,you are the one that wrote the (bolded one above) 'abraham isaac and Esau,
i need a clarification because as a pastor,maybe you must have read something like that which i have not,then i wrote below;

my quote
can you kindly prove the bible verse that mention God of Abraham Isaac and Esau'to support your claim,
its very important because we want to establish 'what the bible teaches' and it can be done by quoting correctly bible verses to support our claims.

i start by saying,'can you kindly, where im i rude here, now see your reply below as a supposed pastor,i ve never discused ever with you,just see what you wrote;

pastorAIO'S quote
This Thread is a brilliant study in the process of biblical interpretations. real_berni, starting with the notion that the dead cannot be saved and that there is nothing that can be done for the dead, must now turn to the bible and read certain passages through a contorting lense. And those passages that cannot be contorted must simply be ignored. And simple arguments must be misunderstood. For instance the issue of 'spirits' being applied to humans in the episode of Endor must be misunderstood as chukwudi's proof of purgatory.

And woe unto the guy who makes a mistake and calls the patriarch Abraham, Isaac and ESAU, rather than Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. The entire thread will then become a discussion about the mistake, unless the guy is fast enough to realise the ploy and knock it straight on the head.

you now start to cast 'woe' on yourself when you are the one that first added Esau, what kind of human being will cast woe on his self, pls go and pray,no one is fighting here, see chukwudi himself is cool headed and mature.please we peacefull here.
Re: Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! by Nobody: 8:48pm On Mar 30, 2012
[/quote]5Who shall give account to him that is ready to judge the quick and the dead
[quote]

This is not what is contained in 1 Pet 4:5

What that verse actually says is

"Who shallgive account to judge the l LIVING and the dead"

I wonder why you changed LIVING to QUICK?
Re: Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! by realBerni: 9:02pm On Mar 30, 2012
@chukwudi44,
This is the height of gramatical gymnastics.there is nothing one would not see on NL.

If I were to infere from this your analysis "three days after Jesus became dead" would not be same as "three days after the death of Jesus" that is more than wonderful!!!!

should we go into more analysis in english language and its applications in the usage of 'dead' 'death' if we are not going to divert a bit from the topic,or will not bore others
Re: Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! by Nobody: 9:04pm On Mar 30, 2012
Bottom line is that Purgatory does not exist, no matter how you try to wrench the meaning our of scriptures , this utter and blasphemous lie cannot stand and is a wicked act of adding to scripture.

The catholic church is no doubt an abominable institution, may God deliver our brothers and sisters from the 'claws' of this evil empire.
Re: Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! by realBerni: 9:10pm On Mar 30, 2012
@ chukwudi44

This is not what is contained in 1 Pet 4:5

What that verse actually says is

"Who shallgive account to judge the l LIVING and the dead"

I wonder why you changed LIVING to QUICK?
i dont need to do that, im quoting from king james version

1 Peter 4:5
King James Version (KJV)

pls confirm again king james version.now
Re: Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! by Ameh02(m): 9:39pm On Mar 30, 2012
ikhideman:

Adaeze:

Its better you drop Religion(Catholic Beliefs),follow Jesus & accept what he has done (as explained in the Gospels & Epistles). Once you leave this side of heaven, you'd either be in heaven or hell, there's NOTHING IN-BETWEEN, & THERE'S NO BIBLICAL BACKING FOR PURGATORY.

What the poster directly above you wrote is the TRUTH (though written too harshly).

Please Accept & Confess Jesus as your Lord & Saviour (if you haven't done so).

Cheers.....
It is true purgatory exist like some other popular beliefs in our churches today such as rapture re not found in d bible but bible qoutes suggest or rather indicate they exist likewise purgatory. The bible say without holiness no eye shal see God. This goes to say that if u sin even the smalest of sin will not see God. Some bible verse refer to this as death. Now 1 John 5:16 says that pray for your brother if he commit a sin that does not lead to death that is a minor sin. What if the person that commit this sin that does not lead to death dies immediately? And know it that nothing unholy will see God. We are also told that even a new born baby has original sin inherited from Adam what if such a child die? Because of the original sin which is not his making he must be cleans. Shalom
Re: Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! by Nobody: 10:13pm On Mar 30, 2012
Strange as it is king james version appears to be the only one translating that word as quick.Everyother bible version refers to it as Living as indicated below

But they will have to give account to him who is ready to judge the living and the dead.

New Living Translation (©2007)
But remember that they will have to face God, who will judge everyone, both the living and the dead.

English Standard Version (©2001)
but they will give account to him who is ready to judge the living and the dead.

New American Standard Bible (©1995)
but they will give account to Him who is ready to judge the living and the dead.

King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)
Who shall give account to him that is ready to judge the quick and the dead.

International Standard Version (©2008)
They will give an account to the one who is ready to judge the living and the dead.

Aramaic Bible in Plain English (©2010)
Those who give an account to God, who is going to judge the dead and living.

GOD'S WORD® Translation (©1995)
They will give an account to the one who is ready to judge the living and the dead.

King James 2000 Bible (©2003)
Who shall give account to him that is ready to judge the living and the dead.

American King James Version
Who shall give account to him that is ready to judge the quick and the dead.

American Standard Version
who shall give account to him that is ready to judge the living and the dead.

Douay-Rheims Bible
Who shall render account to him, who is ready to judge the living and the dead.

Darby Bible Translation
who shall render account to him who is ready to judge the living and the dead.

English Revised Version
who shall give account to him that is ready to judge the quick and the dead.

Webster's Bible Translation
Who shall give account to him that is ready to judge the living and the dead.

Weymouth New Testament
But they will have to give account to Him who stands ready to pronounce judgement on the living and the dead.

World English Bible
who will give account to him who is ready to judge the living and the dead.

Young's Literal Translation
who shall give an account to Him who is ready to judge living and dead,

Further to our discussion ,the fact that the preceding verse to 4:6 actually distinguishes between the living and dead clearly prooves this is no metaphorical usage
Re: Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! by goodnewz1(m): 10:41pm On Mar 30, 2012
chukwudi44: @Ikhidiman

St Paul was obviously praying for the soul of a dead man.Why do you think he would do that if he did not believe in salvation after death.

Why don't you also explain d other bible passages I posted?

Please bro, how can you prove that Apostle Paul prayed for Onesiphorus as a dead man?
Or as a man which he (Paul) worked with while in Rome?
Re: Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! by PastorAIO: 11:10pm On Mar 30, 2012
Quick in earlier English simply means Alive.

Quicksilver=Argent Vive= living silver = Mercury
Re: Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! by Nobody: 7:19am On Mar 31, 2012
[/quote]54. goodnewz1(m): Quote Post

chukwudi44: @Ikhidiman

St Paul was obviously praying for the soul of a dead man.Why do you think he would do that if he did not believe in salvation after death.

Why don't you also explain d other bible passages I posted?

Please bro, how can you prove that Apostle Paul prayed for Onesiphorus as a dead man?
Or as a man which he (Paul) worked with while in Rome?
[quote]

It is so obvious from that passage that onesiphorous was dead.All mention of him was in the past tense.also all of Paul's greetings were directed to his family and not him including the closing greetings of 4:19 where he specifically mentioned prisca and aquila and only mentioned the family of onesiphorous.

Maybe you might also want to throw more light on 1 cor 15:29
Re: Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! by Nobody: 7:27am On Mar 31, 2012
frosbel: Bottom line is that Purgatory does not exist, no matter how you try to wrench the meaning our of scriptures , this utter and blasphemous lie cannot stand and is a wicked act of adding to scripture.

The catholic church is no doubt an abominable institution, may God deliver our brothers and sisters from the 'claws' of this evil empire.

Frosbel please argue with facts not emotions.This is all about knowing the truth and not winning an argument.If you die tomorrow and end up knowing there is purgatory what are you going to do.
Re: Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! by realBerni: 8:24am On Mar 31, 2012
@chukwudi44

Further to our discussion ,the fact that the preceding verse to 4:6 actually distinguishes between the [size=14pt]living and dead[/size] clearly prooves this is no metaphorical usage
ephesians 2:4-6

4 But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, 5 [size=14pt]even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ [/size](by grace you have been saved), 6 and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus,

both ephesian 2:5 and 1pet 4:6 share 'dead' as nakros hebrew word figurative.
[size=14pt]those dead in christ,before became believers after preaching to them they became alive,simple thats what 1 pet 4:6 is all about [/size]
Re: Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! by realBerni: 8:40am On Mar 31, 2012
sorry ephesian 2:5 and 1 pet,4:6 shared dead as nakros figurative.

1pet4;6
6For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that[size=14pt] are dead[/size], that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, [size=14pt]but live [/size]according to God in the spirit.

'dead' and 'live' here in vs 6 were rendered figurative,so these preached to here are 'dead' in christ but were made to [size=14pt]'live[/size] according to God in spirit'

note the error pls,
1pet 4:5

'dead' there is not figurative but literal.its real dead and the living,i just check it out now.
Re: Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! by Nobody: 8:57am On Mar 31, 2012
1 Peter 4:4-6

4 They are surprised that you do not join them in their reckless, wild living, and they heap abuse on you. 5 But they will have to give account to him who is ready to judge the living and the dead. 6 For this is the reason the gospel was preached even to those who are now dead, so that they might be judged according to human standards in regard to the body, but live according to God in regard to the spirit.

This bible verse is simple as ever.It is telling you that God is going to juge the living and the dead hence the gospel had to be preached to those who had died.There is nothing figurative about that passage.

The passages you quoted mentioned "dead in christ" and dead in our tresspasses" to denote their figurative usage.

I would also like you to expatiate on 1 cor 15:29
Re: Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! by realBerni: 9:58am On Mar 31, 2012
[b]@chukwudi44,

now lets connect this discussion in 1 pet chapter 4,from vs 1-6;

1 Peter 4:1-6
King James Version (KJV)
1 Peter 4

verse 1 aknowledges why christ died for christians;

2[i]That he no longer should live the rest of his time in the flesh to the lusts of men, but to the will of God.

[/i]
verse 2-4 widely aknowledges the sins that they are used to and the need to change.

verse 5 aknowledged the repercusions of failure to change,we shall give account to the one with the power to judge.

[color=#000099[i]]6For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit[/i].
[/color]

verse 6 continues that,'for this cause' the gospel was preached to those 'dead' (nakros)in sin 'figurative' in 2-4 above,former way of life, but to 'live according to God in the spirit',

[size=14pt]see Gods purpose below;

what is Gospel, meaning "good news" or "glad tidings". meant for the sinners.

1peter 3:19 did not mention 'Gospel preached to the spirits in prison'
[/size]

John 3:17
New King James Version (NKJV)
17 For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world,[size=14pt] but that the world through Him might be saved.[/size]

remember that 'Gospel preaching' is for sinners

"The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand; repent and believe in the gospel."

- Mark 1:15
now at this junction,

[size=14pt]pls i want you to give a detailed meaning and defination of 'porgatory' in you next post.[/size]

[/b]
Re: Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! by Nobody: 10:32am On Mar 31, 2012
1 pet 4:6 did not say those that are "dead in sin" it says those that are "dead" signifying that it is not a figurative usage.Some translations actually say those that "have died".That verse is explicit enough.

1 pet 3:19 actually says Jesus preached to the "spirits in prison" what else would he be preaching if not the good news
Re: Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! by Nobody: 10:33am On Mar 31, 2012
1 pet 4:6 did not say those that are "dead in sin" it says those that are "dead" signifying that it is not a figurative usage.Some translations actually say those that "have died".That verse is explicit enough.

1 pet 3:19 actually says Jesus preached to the "spirits in prison" what else would he be preaching if not the good news.

Like I had earlier asked also expatiate on 1 cor 15:19

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The 5 Arguments That Killed Atheism. / Who Created God Or How Did God Come Into Existence? / How Do We Seek The Kingdom Of God? Let's See - Joseph Prince

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 163
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.