Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,181,917 members, 7,915,660 topics. Date: Friday, 09 August 2024 at 08:45 AM

Man Falls Off Elevator At WAEC Building, Lagos & Dies - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Man Falls Off Elevator At WAEC Building, Lagos & Dies (21960 Views)

Olisa Metuh Falls Off Chair; Rushed To ICU / Man Falls On A Roof In London From A Plane Coming From South African (pic ) / Igbo Deportee From Lagos Dies, Five Others In Critical Health Condition (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Man Falls Off Elevator At WAEC Building, Lagos & Dies by Machini(m): 12:32pm On Mar 29, 2012
I dont think they r telling us d full story, sth must b missing somwhere. Its either dis ws a suicide, murder, or d man was blind!
Re: Man Falls Off Elevator At WAEC Building, Lagos & Dies by harakiri(m): 12:42pm On Mar 29, 2012
Why won't things like this happen when all the people are thinking of is how to loot money from the office. I'm pretty sure that the elevator has been faulty for ages and nobody gives a hoot. Everyone is here on nairaland giving off sentiments but the truth is, this is a reflection of the African/Nigerian mindset. Nobody cares. All everyone thinks of is how to make billions over night or cheat their fellow man.
Re: Man Falls Off Elevator At WAEC Building, Lagos & Dies by rully2: 12:44pm On Mar 29, 2012
Don Diara: Am sick and tired of everything relating to NIGERIA, how can people die like ants every day and the govt can't do anything about it ?? RUBBISH lipsrsealed

Me too sad sad Nigeria is so full of tragedy cry cry
Re: Man Falls Off Elevator At WAEC Building, Lagos & Dies by ochukoccna: 12:56pm On Mar 29, 2012
There's something fishy about this guy's death
for his body to have been mangled means he must have fallen from a height
None the less, the story was not properly written to help one reconstruct what actually happened.
Re: Man Falls Off Elevator At WAEC Building, Lagos & Dies by emiye(m): 1:00pm On Mar 29, 2012
What a sad way to die, this is not the first time for such an odd event to happen, a similar incident happened at Cocoa house Ibadan, some months back. A lot of care must be taken when using elevators in public service buildings.

[b]Man dies inside Cocoa House elevator - Decomposed body found after three days
By Jackson Udom

TRAGEDY struck on Thursday at the premises of the Cocoa House, the tallest building in Ibadan, the Oyo State capital, when a man, in his bid to make use of the lift facility in the commercial complex, fell headlong and died immediately.

The management of the complex and those who have business concerns within the complex were said not to have been aware of the tragedy that had befallen them. According to an eyewitness account, “the man wanted to use the lift, which is under repairs, but he stepped into an empty space which hitherto housed the lift, fell headlong and died instantly.”

It was also gathered that neither the contractor handling the refurbishment of the outdated elevator, nor the workers in the complex, were aware of the unfortunate incident, until the body of the man (whose name is yet to be made public), started decomposing with offensive odour oozing out from the ground floor of the lift compartment.

As a result of the tragic incident, the premises that houses the building is now being inundated with posters warning members of the public to stay clear of the lift area, saying: “The lifts are under repairs and it would be dangerous for anybody to either make use of it or go near it.”

When Sunday Tribune got to the premises, those who spoke with our reporter confirmed the incident but they were not ready to give further information on whether the man died as a result of the faulty and outdated elevator or he died due to his carelessness. They all blamed the management of the building for not being sensitive to the safety of members of the public who come to the premises to transact one business or the other. “Virtually everything in that building is outdated and grossly malfunctioning.

“The elevators there are now death traps. Those elevators were installed by Papa Obafemi Awolowo and since then they have always been undergoing repairs. Now that somebody has been trapped in it, may be they will do something about it.” Attempts by Sunday Tribune to get in touch with the management of the building proved abortive as none of them was available for comments.

According to a police source who pleaded anonymity, “we are yet to know the identity of the deceased and by Monday, we would invite the site contractor, because what we are hearing is that the man was one of their workers. We learnt that the man fell from the lift. The decomposing body of the man had been evacuated to the Adeoyo Mortuary.

When contacted, the Oyo State Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), Ms Bisi Okuwobi, confirmed the story adding that the man’s decomposing body was discovered three days after his death inside the elevator. “It is true. The man died several days before his body was found inside the elevator.”

[/b]
Re: Man Falls Off Elevator At WAEC Building, Lagos & Dies by andyanders: 1:11pm On Mar 29, 2012
The family of the deceased should get a good lawyer and press for charges and the company that installed the lift or anybody responsible should be held and compensation paid to the family of the deceased. Pure mother
Re: Man Falls Off Elevator At WAEC Building, Lagos & Dies by cassidynca(m): 1:29pm On Mar 29, 2012
Why can people shut their mouths if they don't know what to talk about instead of giving fake and untrue stories.
In the first place the poster said it was a man that died, but from reliable source and newspaper reports today it clearly shows it was actually a woman that died.
Now, the story of falling out of the lift and finding himself on the ground floor outside is fallacious,unbelievable and impossible.
The true story is that the lady stepped out of the elevator which suddenly stopped midway between floors and fell into the shaft.
She did not even die on the spot, she was first taken to the WAEC office clinic for first aid, then transferred to Igbobi and from Igbobi they referred her to LUTH.She gave up the ghost on the way to LUTH.
All the same what a sad story.
Re: Man Falls Off Elevator At WAEC Building, Lagos & Dies by DonXavi(m): 1:35pm On Mar 29, 2012
It is quite incomprehensible how an elevator could halt midair and open it's door. Someone must answer for this or else it will repeat itself agian. We should start seeing life as sacred. If it was descovered that the elevator previously had some mechanical fauts and was not cordoned off service, then a big case will come out of this.... But being that it happend in Nigeria, it will still follow the way of every other 9ja case.
Re: Man Falls Off Elevator At WAEC Building, Lagos & Dies by greatlee(m): 1:54pm On Mar 29, 2012
1960 elevator! a shrinking country
Re: Man Falls Off Elevator At WAEC Building, Lagos & Dies by linsa01(m): 1:56pm On Mar 29, 2012
This story does not support logical reasoning. I've used this same elevator more than 5times. WAEC is living on the past glory.

Sad to know that the junior staff in charge of maintainance will pay for this dearly.

Poor people!
poor management!
May the soul of the victim RIP.
Re: Man Falls Off Elevator At WAEC Building, Lagos & Dies by gulfer: 2:33pm On Mar 29, 2012
If this were an advanced country, the homicide team would have cordoned off the whole place until investigation is completed. Even though he was not pushed off the elevator, the WAeC is still guilty of not ensuring a safe working environment and somebody's rear needs to be stewed for this.
Re: Man Falls Off Elevator At WAEC Building, Lagos & Dies by Nobody: 3:02pm On Mar 29, 2012
The moral of this story: NEVER EVER USE ELEVATORS IN NIGERIA!!! even if it is to the 100th floor, its a ticket to death.
Re: Man Falls Off Elevator At WAEC Building, Lagos & Dies by sammirano: 3:13pm On Mar 29, 2012
Elevators as good as it is, is also very dangerous power break could cause that incident.
Re: Man Falls Off Elevator At WAEC Building, Lagos & Dies by simplebussy: 3:37pm On Mar 29, 2012
Poor Facility Management cost the poor man his life. shikena. May his gentle soul rest in prefect peace.
Re: Man Falls Off Elevator At WAEC Building, Lagos & Dies by strangerf: 3:57pm On Mar 29, 2012
Woman killed in freak NYC elevator accident

[img]
http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/2011/12/14/elevator_accident2_AP111214031325.jpg[/img]

Emergency personnel gather outside of a building in New York where an elevator accident killed 41-year-old Suzanne Hart, inset, Dec. 14, 2011. (CBS/AP/Facebook)
NEW YORK - An advertising executive was killed in a freak elevator mishap Wednesday at a Madison Avenue office building, police and fire officials said.

The accident happened at around 10 a.m. in a 26-story office tower near Grand Central Terminal that has been the longtime home of advertising agency Y&R, formerly known as Young & Rubicam.

The New York Times identified the victim as 41-year-old Y&R executive Suzanne Hart.
Officials said Hart was stepping onto the elevator on the first floor when either her foot or leg became caught in the closing doors. The car then rose abruptly, dragging her body into the shaft and killing her, officials said.

The elevator then became stuck between the first and second floors. Two people who were on the elevator were taken to a hospital to be evaluated for psychological trauma but weren't physically injured, Fire Department officials said.

Investigators with the fire department, the police department and the city's buildings department were on the scene in midtown Manhattan.

A spokeswoman for Y&R, which announced just days ago that it planned to vacate the building for a new headquarters, confirmed that there had been a fatality but said she couldn't yet provide additional information.

According to her LinkedIn profile, Hart was the Director of New Business, Content and Experience at Y&R, where she had worked since 2007. She was a 1988 graduate of Palos Verdes High School in Calif. and she earned a BA in Fine Art and International Relations from Knox College.
There have reportedly been elevator violations in the building, but it's unclear from when or from which of the building's elevators, CBS New York reports.

The company is among a number of tenants in the building.

Officials initially said they thought the elevator had fallen two floors.
Re: Man Falls Off Elevator At WAEC Building, Lagos & Dies by woodcraft(m): 4:09pm On Mar 29, 2012
1.H☺w cld hε̲̣̣̣̥ fall by stepping out of thε̲̣̣̣̥ elevator?
2.Btw, did hε̲̣̣̣̥ notice thε̲̣̣̣̥ dark space or watever wld ve bin there before stepping out?
3. Thε̲̣̣̣̥ door of an elevator can not open except it gets †o a particular destination,was that mid-air thε̲̣̣̣̥ destination?
4. Wat about thε̲̣̣̣̥ elevator operator abi dem no get?
So many ?? on ma mind, this is so not right. @ all
Re: Man Falls Off Elevator At WAEC Building, Lagos & Dies by ambyzown(m): 4:34pm On Mar 29, 2012
It is possible for one to fall into the lift shaft when it stops in-between floors. Remember that when the lift stops between floors half of the doorway will be blocked at the top. In a panic, the woman probably tried to climb out and lost her footing while landing and fell into the lift shaft. May her soul rest in peace.
Re: Man Falls Off Elevator At WAEC Building, Lagos & Dies by Nobody: 4:56pm On Mar 29, 2012
We shouldnt rule out murder cos the story doesnt add up. Elevator doors dont open when the elevator is on the move.
Re: Man Falls Off Elevator At WAEC Building, Lagos & Dies by Nobody: 7:24pm On Mar 29, 2012
I remember when I was a kid in Nigeria, I used to be so afraid of elevators. No matter the floor I was going to in any building, I would use the stairs. Reading this story now, I feel that phobia was justified. Btw it is not possible to step out of a lift mid way floors and drop as u would walk into a wall abi are lifts constructed differently in Nigeria? Story sounds fishy.
Re: Man Falls Off Elevator At WAEC Building, Lagos & Dies by amodaade: 7:41pm On Mar 29, 2012
A lift travels in a shaft which is a void and only contains cables e.t.c. for the lift. The space between the lift door and the shaft is only for tolerance and should not be able to allow an adult pass through. The only reasonable suggestion is if the landing door on the 8th floor mistakenly opens while the lift car is above and someone steps into the shaft without looking.
Re: Man Falls Off Elevator At WAEC Building, Lagos & Dies by amodaade: 7:46pm On Mar 29, 2012
ambyzown: It is possible for one to fall into the lift shaft when it stops in-between floors. Remember that when the lift stops between floors half of the doorway will be blocked at the top. In a panic, the woman probably tried to climb out and lost her footing while landing and fell into the lift shaft. May her soul rest in peace.

If she lost her footing while climbing out she would land on the lift lobby and not in the shaft.
Re: Man Falls Off Elevator At WAEC Building, Lagos & Dies by Nobody: 8:34pm On Mar 29, 2012
This to me looks more like a murder case.

There's no way that guy will get off a lift and land into thin air until he gets to the ground floor.

Someone supposedly pushed this dude or killed him and threw him down the floor to look like a "faulty lift scenerio".

I don't know much about lifts but I sure doubt this story.
Re: Man Falls Off Elevator At WAEC Building, Lagos & Dies by khel(m): 9:21pm On Mar 29, 2012
hmmmmmm.....he was going down to the 1st floor, door opened midway at 8th floor, for christ's sake, we've been in lifts before, if you mistakenly step out of a lift on a wrong floor, what you would do is simple get back into lift to your initially planned floor....something is just not right here...does it mean floor 8 doesn't have a floor for stepping ni How would one step out of a lift to to an empty floor with no where for his feet to step on!!!.... How!!!:....they are not telling the true story!!! Those involved should be quizzed!!!
Re: Man Falls Off Elevator At WAEC Building, Lagos & Dies by Nobody: 9:35pm On Mar 29, 2012
Nigerians and their lack of respect for maintenance.
The general mindset is "we don buy am". There is no forethought to maintenance.

Elevators, like any other machine, need servicing. You cannot blame the designer of the elevator. that is like blaming the designer of a car when it fails after the user rocks the car for 2 years straight without servicing it or changing oil even once. I can bet you there was no servicing contract for those elevators.
Re: Man Falls Off Elevator At WAEC Building, Lagos & Dies by Nobody: 9:37pm On Mar 29, 2012
Besides, in a building like that. . . in naija. . . . I don't think I would trust an elevator.
I mean, What if Nepa takes light mid flight?
Re: Man Falls Off Elevator At WAEC Building, Lagos & Dies by Ignatio(m): 10:17pm On Mar 29, 2012
Looks like the work of a demon.
Re: Man Falls Off Elevator At WAEC Building, Lagos & Dies by presschimp: 6:51am On Mar 30, 2012
The elevator then became stuck between the first and second floors. Two people who were on the elevator were taken to a hospital to be evaluated for psychological trauma but weren't physically injured, Fire Department officials said.
and the elevator is really good stuck.

online printing
Re: Man Falls Off Elevator At WAEC Building, Lagos & Dies by Nobody: 12:05pm On Mar 30, 2012
Dt's so unfortunate
Re: Man Falls Off Elevator At WAEC Building, Lagos & Dies by yhygajo(m): 12:32pm On Mar 30, 2012
I believe this building was never renovated ever since the owner which happens to be the late Ojukwu's Father built it
Re: Man Falls Off Elevator At WAEC Building, Lagos & Dies by molekoole(m): 2:52pm On Mar 30, 2012
i guess the man dosen't fear death if not he would ve looked twice
Re: Man Falls Off Elevator At WAEC Building, Lagos & Dies by okuya: 11:23pm On Mar 30, 2012
Having the WAEC building as a neighbour for close to 29 yrs, this building was like a second home as most of the staffs through the years were well known to me. For anybody who is familiar with this building would know that the elevator is a "no go area", and it is something next to a death-trap, this elevator has been out of order for over 95% of its life since I've known it, I remember when it was out of order for years and had its doors open with a single wood crossing the entrance to warn people of the danger, at a point a little who is the son of one of the staffs, while playing with another kid on the ground floor fell through it to the undergound and miraculously sustained no serious injury. On countless times it got stuck in the middle, and on many other timesthe doors refuse to open and you hear people banging and screaming when this happens as there are no functional emergency phone. Those of us who grew up knowing this building always use the stairway even if we should see a brand new elevator in the building and no matter the floor. MAY THE GENTLEMAN's SOUL FIND ETERNAL REST

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

I'll Meet With Other Generals To Solve Insurgency- Buhari / EFCC Grants Fani-kayode Administrative Bail / Campaign Poster And Achievements Of Governor Ortom 2019 (Pictured)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.