Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,382 members, 7,881,381 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 06:10 PM

A Thread For Travel Enthusiasts! - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / A Thread For Travel Enthusiasts! (19654 Views)

Travel Buddy For Travel In Nigeria / How Do I Apply For Travel Certificate In United State? / New Hope For Travel To Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Thread For Travel Enthusiasts! by Nobody: 10:22am On Apr 11, 2012
Re: A Thread For Travel Enthusiasts! by Nobody: 11:30am On Apr 11, 2012
United Airlines rules!
Re: A Thread For Travel Enthusiasts! by zaboy: 11:30am On Apr 11, 2012
interesting...i have traveled to Europe and Asia a couple of times. But my ultimate dream is a road trip across Nigeria and the whole of sub-saharan Africa. Who knows? i might be inspired to be the next Che Guevara after that... grin

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Travel Enthusiasts! by secnelly: 11:35am On Apr 11, 2012
grin i just remembered travelling from lagos state to Borno state by road. Its part of d travel...then...brb to finish d story.
Re: A Thread For Travel Enthusiasts! by yme1(f): 12:33pm On Apr 11, 2012
I am definitely subscribing to this thread

I love travelling but starting my world tour this year hopefully cheesy
The few places I have been to are Madrid, I kinda lived there for sometime
Madrid is a beautiful place no doubt but there is too much hype about it that is not really worth it lipsrsealed
It is beautiful and alot of places to go for sight seeing, it is the most touristic city in Spain, the places i really did enjoy visiting in madrid was parque de attractiones and the Chinese restaurants ( u will fall in love) kiss kiss kiss but from my view it is not as beautiful as Barcelona or Valencia
The beaches there are worth any dime you get to spend, its relaxing and if you appreciate the work of art its the best place to be. There are so many beautiful landscapes, garden and park.

Then Copenhagen in Denmark, I didn't get enough time to tour it but it is a beautiful city I would love to visit again

places on my list I would love to visit are
Hawaii
Las vegas
Japan
South Africa smiley smiley
Re: A Thread For Travel Enthusiasts! by yuzedo: 12:35pm On Apr 11, 2012
All you ajebo's mouthing off on foreign trips, local runz are the best, what with dodging robbers bullets, somersaulting vehicles, etc. .

Most memorable:
Lagos to Abuja first time ever with mom and sis in a luxury bus: Got in about 7pm, the road leading to the city, the lights, the central mosque, gosh, i stood up in the bus like an entranced re.tard! embarassed It was beautiful!

Abuja to Jos with my brother a few years later: Hoe ma gadd! grin Left abuja around 5pm, no, make that 7pm. car fault after the other, that was one of the worst trips EVER! my tummy was killing me! we were in a station wagon with other colleagues of my mom and uncle going to meet up with my mom at a one year course in jos. was so cramped at the back, i was waking up kicking the woman's head in front of me. . cry embarrassing. and upon my very serious tummy ache, me and bro were buying suya and other shii like fo.ols! grin they prolly though i was a village id.iot! lol! got into jos at 1am. my mom was tired of waiting, saw her in her institute-allocated hut drooping and struggling over her books/fighting sleep. it was one of the most touching things i'll ever see in my life. . embarassed She went on to beat over 50 other participants in over 15 courses coming second best in only one course, top in the rest and of course first overall at the end of the year. . smiley
Jos, was beautiful! And cold. There were rocks to climb, zoos to visit, etc. This was in 2001, we had fun there and left only for the city to erupt in violence not too long after. .Smh!

***Lets not forget all the trips from lagos to the east where failed roads cause traffic snarls and thus ensure you spend the night on the road only to continue with smelly morning breath the next day. (If your axis doesn't get raided by gangs at night)

***All the people who get pressed and have to poo on the bus and start begging the driver to please stop and allow them. . grin (or they shi.t themselves right there lipsrsealed)

Been to All the states in the south east, few in the south-south, most in the west, and just abuja and jos in the north (unless u count benue and kogi but thats middle-belt).

I should share foreign trips sha. Nobody wants local flavour to such a thread right? grin tongue

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Travel Enthusiasts! by AjanleKoko: 1:16pm On Apr 11, 2012
This is weird but . . . I have never taken any luxurious bus travel in Nigeria, ever embarassed

Station wagons, yes, Even trains, Lagos to Kaduna. But never Luxurious bus. Wonder if I shouldn't go right now and get on one grin
Re: A Thread For Travel Enthusiasts! by yuzedo: 2:01pm On Apr 11, 2012
Dec 2009: First time i missed my flight.
I was busy faffing around in school instead of heading out to enugu airport early for booking-in. Only to realize i needed to move the mess out. Public bus refused to load quick, stopped to buy fuel, maintained a speed of 10kph. . i was just dying in my seat. . angry Started calling my mom before i had arrived enugu city from nsukka to have her driver come pick me, before the bus came to a halt, i had jumped out and run into the other vehicle and told the driver to step on it. Ok na. . step on it na so traffic from nowhere just hook us. jumped out again and flew bike to the airport, was running like a wild mad man, only to be told that check-in had closed. .err, but thats my flight still on the tarmac na? abeg!!! i use 8 different languages beg, sotay i even try hypnosis, they maintained that once an aircraft closes its doors, the pilot can lose his license if he opens it again. omo no see o! thats how i watched my flight taxi down the runway. . cry Aero nice one o! 1 - 0!

Or i was traveling from Awka to Onitsha with a cousin. only for the bus to develop fault along the way, the driver gets out to fix the problem and as he's working on the engine he suddenly breaks into a desperate run away from the bus. Oboy see stampede na?! Everyone thought the bus wanted to catch fire and you shoulda seen the mad rush! i was relaxed because 1. Chaos only complicates things. 2. i "was" born-again then so i trusted that actor no dey die grin and if i died na heaven straight wink only for my beloved cousin who had assured me of his undying love to nack my head akpako all over the bus in his bid to escape! embarassed The nigger was only thinking of his life and completely forgot/didnt give a mess about all the professed love for his "only beloved brother" when death threatened sad . . Aaah! The experiences we see in nigeria! smiley

Wait, what was the topic again?? grin wink kiss tongue

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Travel Enthusiasts! by jaybee3(m): 2:05pm On Apr 11, 2012
My fav trip so far is the 2007 trip to sin city for a friend's bachelor's party. We lodged at a hotel on the vegas strip. As they say, everything that happens in vegas stays in vegas.

I've had numerous trips to different states in America (My fav holiday destination)
Some few trips here and there across europe

Looking to do explore Africa in the nearest future
Re: A Thread For Travel Enthusiasts! by vicoloni(m): 2:06pm On Apr 11, 2012
Interesting thread. i visited 4 european countries a month ago namely paris, switzerland, amsterdam and italy. of all these places i enjoyed amsterdam most because of stuffs i could relate with. The famed sex museum at central station is a must visit. there you could learn how your ancestors did doggy and invented metal pant 'pata onirin'!
it may also interest you to know that marijuana and cannabis consumption is legal in amsterdam and the famed red light district is awesome at nights. then the locals are very hospitable and very willing to be of help.
switzerland is a very beautiful place you may wish to visit. nice place to get good immitation of expensive watches. my enjoyment of swissland was marred by too much cold.
how i enjoyed fiorenze in italy. a tourist attraction that play host to various international visitors. with its sceneric beauty, florence is a must visit for tourists who love picturesque scenes but be warned, your pockets will be bleeped!

Next places of interest:

saskachewan - canada
isreal
chigaco
kent
Re: A Thread For Travel Enthusiasts! by vinmol: 2:36pm On Apr 11, 2012
i dey try gather my tot for my trip from Ogba to Ijora..

the traffic na die! if u pass ikorodu road e go free if u lucky say tanker wey carry fuel or BRT bus no brk down
if u come reach Ijora bridge nko, e fit free if Container trailer no break down for the road....

the person wey talk say Deltline no join na true

Deltaline from LOs-Atlanta na yawa!!!! angry angry angry

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Travel Enthusiasts! by Shinor(m): 2:50pm On Apr 11, 2012
Good to hear from a lot people here and I want to presume most are Nigerians. So why do people say Nigerians are not adventurous or that Nigerians don't do proper holidays? I don't mean the Los - Lon trip packed with garri etc to deliver and return with excess shopping baggage.
I have had a fair share of globe trotting although not like many of the guys here.
PLACES VISITED : Cameroon, Ghana, Amsterdam, Paris, Istanbul (Turkey), Shanghai, Guanzhou, Shenzhen (China), New York New York, New Jersey, Washington DC, Houston Texas, Miami Florida, Detroit Michigan,USA.
PLACES TO VIST : Kingston Jamaica, Isreal, Alabama, USA.

I didn't want to take a swipe at airlines but Continental and BA rank as the worst airlines for service wise. While we get free bottles of wine with your meal on most airlines, had to pay $2.99 on Continental. Nonsense airline lol. BA always have my grandmothers friends on duty. Old air hostesses make your trip longer than usual lol.
China was the most fascinating. If not the distance, would do it every year. Absolutely beautiful ( Shenzhen ) Flew Virgin with an open bar at the rear for as many drinks as you wanted. China was really great as I was met with scenes beyond my imagination.
Most shocking visit. Washington DC. Stayed at Jury's Inn Dupont circle. Could not believe the amount of beggars hanging outside stores and hassling you for spare change. Went into a local McDonalds and saw people who could easily pass for drug addicts all over the place. I was embarrassingly shocked.
Re: A Thread For Travel Enthusiasts! by Shinor(m): 3:04pm On Apr 11, 2012
JeSoul: Nice thread.

I love to visit new places and going by that I've never been to the same place twice (except once). One of the nicest cities I've ever visited is Chicago (I was there 07 I think). Forget NYC with its boring linear sky scrapers, Chicago is full of architechtural eye candy lol just beautiful all around. Maybe I loved it so much because its similar in 'feel' to my own town Boston. Plenty to do - visit the museums, zoos & aquarium, visit landmarks like the Sears Tower (3rd tallest bld in the world), plenty of stores if shopping is your thing, attend a sporting event (baseball, basketball etc), check out grant park where Obama gave his victory speech in 08 or gorgeous millenium park, take pictures by the wacky Chicago egg, eat at a variety of diverse restaurants - we ate at this Greek Restaurant close to the sears tower and I have dreamt about that place ever since lol. And when you're tired, take a stroll at the beach that is easily walkable from downtown or go to a fair at the pier. And if you're there with a partner, I highly recommend doing one of the many cruises on Lake Michigan that offers breathtaking views of the city especially at night. And if you have extra cash, I beg you to stay at a sky scraper hotel with a city view - it is breathtaking at night lol and totally worth going to bed & waking up to bright sunshine with that as your backdrop.

Aight I'll stop now (suprised I remember this much lol). I'll see if I can add pictures when I get home.

I wouldn't want to forget NYC just like that. Been to NYC a few times. I agree the skyline can be intimidating and sometimes seemingly boring but there are lots of other places you could do in NYC. take a trip to Harlem and visit the Apollo and wonder at the array of stars who have graced the venue. You know at a time if an artiste hadn't played at the Apollo, that artiste wasn't reckoned with.
How about a day in Central park holding hands with your hubby as you enjoy a private picnic.
China town too is great.
Times Square. MSG. The Broadway etc........I guess you know all these perhaps you done NYC too many times that it doesn't hold any attraction any longer for you

TIP: One tip we always use when travelling - be nice and smile to the person at the counter when checking in at your hotel! I cannot mention how many countless room upgrades and 'honeymoon' suites we've scored by simply being nice & treating them well. The person behind the counter has a ton of power in what room they put you in and it costs them nothing to upgrade you for free as long as rooms are available. You can buy the least expensive room at a 4-5 star hotel and take a chance you'll get upgraded.
Re: A Thread For Travel Enthusiasts! by JeSoul(f): 3:41pm On Apr 11, 2012
Shinor: China was the most fascinating. If not the distance, would do it every year. Absolutely beautiful ( Shenzhen ) Flew Virgin with an open bar at the rear for as many drinks as you wanted. China was really great as I was met with scenes beyond my imagination.
Most shocking visit. Washington DC. Stayed at Jury's Inn Dupont circle. Could not believe the amount of beggars hanging outside stores and hassling you for spare change. Went into a local McDonalds and saw people who could easily pass for drug addicts all over the place. I was embarrassingly shocked.
...folks here are making me re-think my attitude towards China lol. How did you find walking & touring around as a black person? and how did you find DC? gosh its probably the most drab city I've visited lol, unless rows of govt. agencies/buildings are your thing. And if you think DC has a problem with homeless folks & street beggars, wait till you get to Philadelphia sad it will just break your heart.

I wouldn't want to forget NYC just like that. Been to NYC a few times. I agree the skyline can be intimidating and sometimes seemingly boring but there are lots of other places you could do in NYC. take a trip to Harlem and visit the Apollo and wonder at the array of stars who have graced the venue. You know at a time if an artiste hadn't played at the Apollo, that artiste wasn't reckoned with.
How about a day in Central park holding hands with your hubby as you enjoy a private picnic.
China town too is great.
Times Square. MSG. The Broadway etc........ I guess you know all these perhaps you done NYC too many times that it doesn't hold any attraction any longer for you
Lol, you're absolutely spot on with your last comment. At the same time, the fast-paced madness of NYC is really not for everyone. I get a headache anytime I'm there and really dread anytime I have to go down there. Part of my issue with New york is mostly with the attitudes of the people - rude, inconsiderate, loud, noisy etc they will knock you over and just keep walking, hawkers will practically insult you for not patronising them etc etc... not my kind of place. But you're right about all the attractions, you can't beat that at all. And also the vast array of diverse restaurants - unbeatable. But as for central park, enjoy your picnic & walk, if you can navigate thru the crowded throngs of other lovers who populate the place lol.
Re: A Thread For Travel Enthusiasts! by initiator(m): 3:46pm On Apr 11, 2012
Wow, nice thread.

I am a travel junky mostly in my imagination but have not travelled outside Africa.
I have just done Ghana, Cote d'ivoire, Benin and South African.

I travelled to Ghana from Lagos by road and it just confirmed my theory that the two things
that make a good trip is good company and good camera. Night and beach life in cotonou was
rather interesting. At a point the music slows and couples get into some romantic tango. It
seemed rather old-fashioned to me but interestign all the same. Me and my colleagues had a
good laugh hearing one of the cotonou girls singing one of Brandy's songs. Was also amazed
by the Nigerian music influence. Ghana and Cote d'ivoire didnt give me much other than
Lagos-type traffic.

Cape town was beautiful. Visited mandela's jail and their waterfront. It was summer and there
were quite a lotta people. Night life was varied but didnt really did the house music
(I like their local music though)and I didn't have great company.

Also visited Obudu Cattle ranch in Calabar twice and it presented one of the best views I've seen
in this country.

The best airline for me has to be emirate (from accra to abidjan). Their air hostesses are awesome.
I loved SAA for the free floww of wine.

My next stop is actually Tanzania and Kenya - want to do Mount kilimanjaro and mount kenya. That is
some adrenalin to take me for years.
have
Re: A Thread For Travel Enthusiasts! by jaybee3(m): 3:53pm On Apr 11, 2012
JeSoul:

Lol, you're absolutely spot on with your last comment. At the same time, the fast-paced madness of NYC is really not for everyone. I get a headache anytime I'm there and really dread anytime I have to go down there. Part of my issue with New york is mostly with the attitudes of the people - rude, inconsiderate, loud, noisy etc they will knock you over and just keep walking, hawkers will practically insult you for not patronising them etc etc... not my kind of place. But you're right about all the attractions, you can't beat that at all. And also the vast array of diverse restaurants - unbeatable. But as for central park, enjoy your picnic & walk, if you can navigate thru the crowded throngs of other lovers who populate the place lol.
Stayed around time square few weeks ago and I've concluded NYC is good for only shopping. Too fast paced for my liking
Re: A Thread For Travel Enthusiasts! by JeSoul(f): 3:54pm On Apr 11, 2012
@Initiator,
nice! its my dream to tour some african countries, I'm just always concerned about safety.

salsera: Trips I want to make - Lebanon (heard its beautiful), Spain (not sure the city), Paris and Iceland. Has anyone been there? tips and experiences please
Salsera, this thread may be useful - https://www.nairaland.com/697407/vacation-paris-guide#8575633

@MOM,
Driving from Boston to Chicago was actually the longest drive I've ever done (I flew back lol), a solid 18hrs. My husband has been trying to convince me to do a cross-country road-trip, Boston to LA shocked grin...what's the longest you've attempted?
Re: A Thread For Travel Enthusiasts! by shushu(f): 4:04pm On Apr 11, 2012
travelling is so much fun and broadens the mind.been to a few places...let me see

madrid spain
barcelona spain.... amazing
mucia spain.......amazing
maberlla -spain
algeciras spain.....amazing

venice italy.........the hype is more than the actual
florence italy
rome italy.....beautiful architecture, ancient, just wonderful

lisbon portugal..... i love

denmark....about 4 cities
sweden
mid east
malaysia

nice france
paris france
monaco france

and many more.the more you travel, the more you realise that there are so many more places to visit.the world s so diverse and beautiful
Re: A Thread For Travel Enthusiasts! by jaybee3(m): 4:09pm On Apr 11, 2012
Boston was pretty cool. Yeah i support the celtics so it was quite natural for me to feel at home in beantown. Hated the duck tour though
Re: A Thread For Travel Enthusiasts! by Ibime(m): 4:16pm On Apr 11, 2012
I have been to more countries than I care to count. Favourite place is Cuba just for the friendliness of the people and the cheapness of the tobacco. Least favourite is Dominican Republic cos of the fact that everyone tries to rip you off. Cape Verde is also a very nice destination if you can stand a place that is dry, hot and salty. . . . theres no water or any trees there.

Sao Tome is the place I'd most love to visit in the future.
Re: A Thread For Travel Enthusiasts! by Nobody: 5:35pm On Apr 11, 2012
JeSoul: @Initiator,
nice! its my dream to tour some african countries, I'm just always concerned about safety.

Salsera, this thread may be useful - https://www.nairaland.com/697407/vacation-paris-guide#8575633

@MOM,
Driving from Boston to Chicago was actually the longest drive I've ever done (I flew back lol), a solid 18hrs. My husband has been trying to convince me to do a cross-country road-trip, Boston to LA shocked grin...what's the longest you've attempted?
That is like a 5 day trip...no try am abeg, which kind road trip be that?
Re: A Thread For Travel Enthusiasts! by GISITT(m): 10:28pm On Apr 11, 2012
grin grin grin grin[quote author=Shinor] BA always have my grandmothers friends on duty. Old air hostesses make your trip longer than usual lol.
Re: A Thread For Travel Enthusiasts! by queensmith: 11:35pm On Apr 11, 2012
suscribing, it will be nice to hear from someone that has gone backpacking before. Esp in the uk. Wanna try a different type of travel.
and if there are nigerians living in france i seriously need to hear where you all go!
Re: A Thread For Travel Enthusiasts! by Freesia(f): 12:24am On Apr 12, 2012
Wow some people here are very well traveled... nice!!

Mr Ajanlekoko did you say you like KLM? I've not had a good experience with them on two occasions,or maybe I was just unlucky both times.Dec 2009 Berlin to Amsterdam cancellation of most of their flights due to a snow storm which was understandable, what left me baffled was them keeping us in the airport for over 6 hours and the fact that they were unwilling to pay for our accommodation over night like other airlines were doing at the time.(the sight of parents with small children begging the staff at the check-in to place them in near by hotels was pathetic)

Then in Feb 2010 I booked a flight from Manchester with air France only to reach the airport and was informed that the particular Air France flight was being operated by KLM something about(code sharing) they kept us in the dark for a while before informing us the flight had been delayed... all in all I wasn't very impressed with them.

Swiss Air & Brussels Airlines are good (large seats,service is good) I fly with Ba frequently at the moment because I get flights to the U.S on short notice at a reasonable price, but those Ba planes are Antique Mehn!!,while flying all I hear is a lot of rattling...fear dey catch me!!! some of their planes esp their UK to US flights look terrible the interior is in desperate need of an upgrade.

Delta & United Airlines just have high prices and nothing to talk home about,AA airlines is not as bad unless things have changed,last flew them 6 years ago.I was quite surprised with southwest airlines, for a low cost airline their service is superb

Did someone say they have been on the A380? I would love to travel on that with Emirates or Singapore airlines or any African airline willing to invest on one.A cruise sounds like fun too I wouldn't mind that.
Destinations I would like to travel are the Caribbean Islands,Japan,Hong Kong and I wouldn't mind repeating my visits to some East and West African countries

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Travel Enthusiasts! by shilling(f): 1:40am On Apr 12, 2012
Favorite airline: KLM. Emirates and SAA would be no 2/3 respectively.

Where I've been:
1. South Africa: Lived in Botswana for a few years so of course I visited SA.

2. Ethiopia: Was kinda surreal because it was so beautifully ancient.

3. Traveled around the USA when I lived in the States:
-Road tripped across the Mid-west: North Dakota/South Dakota/Montana/Wyoming/Minnesota.
-Took the train from Minneapolis to Chicago. Chi-town is beautiful!!
-2011 Spring Break in Long Beach/LA
-Have also visited Denver & Seattle.

4. Travelled a lil bit in Canada. I live in Canada, so I guess it doesn't count.

Where I'm visiting:
England/Wales/Scotland in less than a month.

Fun story:
During my trip to Chicago last summer, I was in the downtown area just being a tourist. I got to Millennium Park where there were police men everywhere. I love the cops so I started chatting with them and found out that it was the inauguration of the newly elected Mayor Rahm Emanuel. I got into the park and stood for hours before the ceremony started which I didn't mind because I was quite close to the stage. Throughout the ceremony, I kept Facebooking/Tweeting what was going on, to discover that my friends in other parts of the States were watching it on TV while I was there live. I felt special haha. It was a beautiful ceremony, and I'm glad I was a part of it!
Re: A Thread For Travel Enthusiasts! by Nobody: 1:47am On Apr 12, 2012
NICE THREAD, here is my own:
i do believe that going on a few weeks holiday is completely different from living somewhere. you miss so much of the "real" stuff while you are on holiday and can only discover the real country when you live there. going somewhere for a few days/week just makes you a tourist, seeing the same things every other tourists are seeing, doing the same things every tourists are doing......shiiit, you might as well stay home and check other people's holiday pics and that would be cheaper for you. what i am saying is that there is nothing wrong with going on a few weeks holidays but there is so much more to a city/country to see and discover, and it would take more than a few weeks to discover them.

i am very passionate about traveling, it is like a second nature, i was born a globetrotter (got it from my father), and living without discovering new places, culture, and people etc makes no sense to my being. yep, one day i will surely run out of places but hopefully, by then, moon traveling will be in full swing. my motto is very simple:" if i know nobody there, dont speak the language and it's far away from home, then it is the PERFECT PLACE TO MOVE TO.

i have had great experiences wherever i have lived, so here they are:
growing up, i had already visited most countries around France because thats where we would go with school field trips or during holiday.Spain, Switzerland, Belgium, Italy, Germany etc i already "knew" these places and didnt particularly thought of them as foreign countries.. so the first place i moved to was London, simply because it was very close to home (aka safe to taste the waters of ADVENTURE). i really enjoyed the city, very similar to Paris but i was just so amazed at the way blacks were more integrated into society. back then, there were yet no black TV presenter in France, while that Trevor dude was already on TV in the UK. it was magic to me.... the sad part is the weather!!!! i mean the place is always grey and rainy and i think people are affected by that, so, many have long faces all the time and in the summer they come out of their shell (for 2-3 months). after a while it got to me and i needed more adventure so i moved to Norway.

Norway is the cleanest place i have been to, clean air, clean cities, respectful people. great women, not so many blacks (so we brothas are seen as "exotic", lol) i remember once i went to a city up north and there was a kid who pointed out to me and said:"look mama a black man". the country is HUGE, yet the whole country's population is about the same amount of people that lives in London. my fondest memories where that i could finish work, drive for an hr, be at the top of a mountain, snowboard for 2hrs, and be back home by 10pm. in Norway, you can drive within the country and find some of the most beautiful places in the world.....fjords that are just amazing to look at and would make you fall in love ON THE SPOT.

also, Norway being so close to all the other main cities in Scandinavia, meant that you could drive for 3hrs and be in Goteborg or 6 and be in Stockholm. Sweden is so much different, much more EU than Norway, more blacks so we aint as "exotic" as in Norway but nevertheless a great country to discover. the place seemed more funky to me with more parties, people more "out of their shell" compare to Norway. as for Copenhagen, i just didnt find it that great of a city to discover. i have visited the place quite a lot but never found that sparkle that i got in Norway/Sweden. i would compare denmark to a mix of Scandinavia and Europe. i guess the closeness to Germany had something to do with it........... and Finland Helsinki was more like a mix of Scandinavia and Russia. the city looked old and uninteresting, and there was always construction every where. it looked more like Russia than any other place in Scandinavia.

maybe one of the reason i didnt really like Finland that much was because i couldnt understand the language. I speak Norwegian and can understand Swedish and Danish but not Finish.

a funny thing about Scandinavia is that this is one of the first place i have lived at where people viewed [b]a[/b]nal sex so casually. i remember that the first few gals i met ALL wanted it like that, and to me it felt strange. in France, you had to beg and dance on your head before you could be allowed to hit it like that, while in Norway the gals would even be the one suggesting it. lol!!!

sadly one of the drawback about these places is the COLD!!! after a while you get tired of snow up to your knees for the best part of the yr, and the lack of sunshine in the summer. so after a few yrs, the only thing you wanna do is move to a warmer place.

right after that i started working for Air France and indulged in my passion for traveling TO THE MAX. NY for the weekend, Tokyo for 3 days, round the world trips, i did as much as possibly could....but sadly, i couldnt tame the tiger inside me. the problem was that i always had to go back to work...and thats where the problem was. i would sit at work and just dream of the places i just visited, the people i just met,the culture etc, but yet, i dint know much about the country, really! these places were just like an appetizer and i wanted the whole dinner, lol!

the first time i went to Tokyo, i INSTANTLY fell in love with the country........and, after going there 7times (thanks to AF), and not really knowing the country (as i wanted to), i decided to move there. Tokyo was everything that we were NOT at home. people were respectful, they care for the earth, there technology is second to none, the food is just hhhhmmmm, the women are a trip, the place was a challenge just like i love it. Tokyo is a small country with MANY people, so Tokyo canbe quite a challenge. a friend who had moved there before me, got lost in the metro and just sat on a bench and started crying. thats how crazy it can be for some, but to me it was just great.

one of the problem is that you HAVE to get a Japanese gf straight up, because if you dont you will be lost. you see, many restaurants/shops/boutiques are located on the 2nd 3rd or 4th floor of buildings, and you can only get there by taking the lift. so if you are looking for a certain place, you need to be able to read the sign that is posted at the door of that building, so this is where a Japanese GF becomes very handy......oh so i thought.

one of the funny thing i discovered in Japan is that not everybody can READ Japanese. i would ask what a sign means and many would say that they didnt know. they would know that it meant something about food or whatever, but they couldnt tell me exactly what was the meaning of it all. thats because their alphabet is so complex and diverse, that you need to go to school for close to 20yrs to be able to fluently read and write their 3 different alphabet (Hiragana, Katakana and Kanji). so it is not unusual to be with an educated lady who cant read Kanji properly.

one of the problem that you would also encounter in Japan, is the fact that their culture stops them from voicing their minds, they would rather say:"yeah yeah great" rather than telling you how they really feel, and thus, it is very difficult to fully know a Japanese person. hey dont open up, they dont tell you how they FEEl, they never want to disappoint you because to them it is a sign of failure, so they most live in a smoke screen life. also, in Japan, your job is consider your biggest asset, bigger than your family. many give their ALL to their jobs and thats why many kill themselves when the lose that said job. i mean who wouldnt when they have given up their whole life to their job, and neglected their family for that job?

you see, most people cant afford to live in Tokyo because, thanks to the lack of space, it is considered one of the most expensive place to live at. so most people live in the suburbs, they get up very early and go back home very late at night. they spend very little time with their kids during the weekdays and the sunday is considered family day. if you take the subway on sundays, it is always jam packed like rush hour all day long. every parent are with their kids, but sadly that one day is not enough to show love to your kids. so many children over there are truly FUKCED UP, and become recluse. they do not know how to show affection simply because it was never shown to them at home. Parents not showing their feelings + parents not being present in their kids life........what do they expect? its gotten so bad that there is even a syndrome for it, when kids are so afraid of the outside world that they never leave their room/home.....its called HIKIKIMORI, and is very common in Japan.

getting your Japanese GF to tell you that she loves you (and she means it) is a RARE treat in Japan. as for being invited at her family home....dont count on it. you see, since rent is so high, most live at their parents home till they get married. lol the good part is that "love hotels" are a thriving business because this is where young unmarried people go to be with their loved ones. great places to visit, cheap and with all the accessories needed to have a "great time in bed".

also, contrary to popular belief, there are a lots of Nigerians in Tokyo, business owners etc and this is where i started to get closer to my Nigerian roots, as the entertainment district in Tokyo (Roppongi) is/was filled with Nigerians who owned clubs/restaurant etc.......so my first job in Tokyo was working for a Nigerian, lol. what a small world!

sorry about the epistle, travels brings all the memories out of me.

anyway, stay tuned for the part 2 of my travels (Prague, Sydney, Beijing, Shanghai, Buenos Aires and Rio de Janeiro)

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Travel Enthusiasts! by seunajia: 5:48am On Apr 12, 2012
[i][/i]
zaboy: interesting...i have traveled to Europe and Asia a couple of times. But my ultimate dream is a road trip across Nigeria and the whole of sub-saharan Africa. Who knows? i might be inspired to be the next Che Guevara after that... grin

Commandante! grin
Love Che, His book by Jon Lee Anderson, have you read it?
My love for history (Che) and tourism might just drag me to Argentina or Cuba... cool
Re: A Thread For Travel Enthusiasts! by coderXO(m): 6:09am On Apr 12, 2012
yuzedo: All you ajebo's mouthing off on foreign trips, local runz are the best, what with dodging robbers bullets, somersaulting vehicles, etc. .

Most memorable:
Lagos to Abuja first time ever with mom and sis in a luxury bus: Got in about 7pm, the road leading to the city, the lights, the central mosque, gosh, i stood up in the bus like an entranced re.tard! embarassed It was beautiful!

Abuja to Jos with my brother a few years later: Hoe ma gadd! grin Left abuja around 5pm, no, make that 7pm. car fault after the other, that was one of the worst trips EVER! my tummy was killing me! we were in a station wagon with other colleagues of my mom and uncle going to meet up with my mom at a one year course in jos. was so cramped at the back, i was waking up kicking the woman's head in front of me. . cry embarrassing. and upon my very serious tummy ache, me and bro were buying suya and other shii like fo.ols! grin they prolly though i was a village id.iot! lol! got into jos at 1am. my mom was tired of waiting, saw her in her institute-allocated hut drooping and struggling over her books/fighting sleep. it was one of the most touching things i'll ever see in my life. . embarassed She went on to beat over 50 other participants in over 15 courses coming second best in only one course, top in the rest and of course first overall at the end of the year. . smiley
Jos, it was beautiful! it was cold. There were rocks to climb, zoos to visit, etc. This was in 2001, we had fun there and left only for the city to erupt in violence not too long after. .Smh!

Lets not forget all the trips from lagos to the east where failed roads cause traffic snarls and thus ensure you spend the night on the road only to continue with smelly morning breath the next day. (If your axis doesn't get raided by gangs at night)
All the people who get pressed and have to poo on the bus and start begging the driver to please stop and allow them. . grin (or they shi.t themselves right there lipsrsealed)
Been to All the states in the south east, few in the south-south, most in the west, and just abuja and jos in the north (unless u count benue and kogi but thats middle-belt).
I should do London - Aberdeen - Glasgow later this year. Dubai definitely next year or/and Ghana. And of course, my nephew and expected niece will definitely want to see their uncle in the states before 2014. . wink

lol, enjoyable post.
i feel inspired to take a road trip across naija
but omo i fear these "gangs" and motor accidents

dunno why our government can't fix these roads and provide more security.
i think a west african road trip will be just as exciting.
Re: A Thread For Travel Enthusiasts! by Nobody: 7:13am On Apr 12, 2012
@ Mr brown.. All this experiences & u could not write a novel.. lol or start a thread
Re: A Thread For Travel Enthusiasts! by AjanleKoko: 9:41am On Apr 12, 2012
seunajia: [i][/i]

Commandante! grin
Love Che, His book by Jon Lee Anderson, have you read it?
My love for history (Che) and touterrorism might just drag me to Argentina or Cuba... cool

Fixed grin
Re: A Thread For Travel Enthusiasts! by initiator(m): 10:14am On Apr 12, 2012
Wow @ Mr Brown...you have to turn your experiences to a business or a book. Enjoyed them.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Military Officers Will Now Enjoy VIP Treatment At Airports - Aviation Minister / Advice on Relocating Out of Lagos! / Tragedy Averted As Aircraft Tyre Bursts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 146
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.