Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,189,802 members, 7,938,389 topics. Date: Tuesday, 03 September 2024 at 02:28 AM

Job - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Job (1234 Views)

How Can I Rely On IT Job / B / Post Graduate Programmes Msc Eng, M. Eng, Phd, D. Eng (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Job by Nobody: 1:23pm On Mar 29, 2012
I
Re: Job by DisGuy: 2:29pm On Mar 29, 2012
if you can round up your first year before the job commences that would have been the best option imo
how confident are you the job will last 4-5years?

i will take the job, collect my result for the first year
after some years arrange to go off for a year to get Masters
combine everything, apply for a sponsored PhD if you are that way inclined (i wont)
Re: Job by jaybee3(m): 2:40pm On Mar 29, 2012
Are you leaning towards the lure of employment offer because of the money it offers or the love of IT?
If it's because of the latter then please do suspend the MSc program and focus on the getting yourself started in the world of IT where you had be able to gain adequate/sufficient certifications to move up the ladder in no time.

However, if your main goal/ambition is to work as an electrical engineer then I will strictly advise you to finish the MSc because:
1)You have age on your side and if you don't do it now you will never go back to finishing it once you start earning money
2)If you want to compete with foreign engineering degrees then you will probably need to have a MSc to back your first degree

Above all, the decision is really yours and only you can make it. Think about what you want out of life, what's important to you in life and use them as the determinant factors when making your decision.
Re: Job by Nobody: 9:34pm On Mar 29, 2012
@jaybee
Re: Job by Nobody: 11:25pm On Apr 04, 2012
Hey guy's I need your input's please this is a life changing decision.
Re: Job by yamakuza: 12:27am On Apr 05, 2012
My take is that if u can get N80k job with BSc, you'll probably land N100k job or more after your masters.

While you are at it, keep applying to schools abroad. You might get a full scholarship before or after you finish.

If you take the N80k job now, how many years will it take you to save N3m+ for studies abroad?

As per taking money from your parents, endure that for the 2 yrs or find a secondary source of income.
Re: Job by DisGuy: 7:51pm On Apr 05, 2012
but the probability of landing a job after Msc is another issue, 2 years no work experience undecided

there are many jobs that just require one to pass a gmat type test with a first degree

very difficult economy, damn thing is slowing down except on paper
Re: Job by Nobody: 1:36pm On Apr 06, 2012
Hey guy's thank's for your input. Well I do have a year work experience with a bank(nysc) and also 6 month's experience as a system admin although in a small largely unknown firm. My parent's are pretty excited about the prospect's of their son landing a PhD at such a tender age(that is if I contniue studying non stop). They feel it's worth working toward's since I am quite close but I just get sapped up by the fact that it is a naija univ. I donlt have a problem reading up till PhD but naija univ's themselve's are the most potent stumbling block's a student face's.
Re: Job by jikings(m): 3:21pm On Apr 06, 2012
@ Poster I think you need to define your objectives first. Do you want to have a Phd, an M.Eng or work in IT? If you can sincerely search yourself and answer this question then you have your answer. contintuing your studies to get PhD so as to fulfil your parents wishes may not be the best idea for you. Remember its your life and Phd and no-one else's. Your parents can support to you to a certian stage and then leave you to chart your course in life and you'll not blame anyone for wasting your time studying if it doesnt work out.

From my experience Phd holders find it a bit difficult to get jobs in the industry(especially without prior working experience) cus there are over qualified for most entry level positions and are older too! By the time you are done with the Phd you'll be close to 30 or more if in Nigeria and competing for entry level positons with 21 year olds. If your interest is not in lecturing but working and gaining a maters in IT (seems you love it already) then take the job. In a few years with an 80K starting salary you may have moved up to 200K or more depending on how it works out for you and you have work experince too (almost 5yrs if you start now). Also you masters abroad may not be unreacheable as you can enrol in distance learning programes abroad from naija and study as you get experience.

My two cents. Best of luck!

1 Like

Re: Job by DisGuy: 3:49pm On Apr 06, 2012
Re: Job by Nobody: 6:54pm On Apr 08, 2012
]
Re: Job by DisGuy: 1:31pm On Apr 10, 2012
Nah good to know the parents are still there to get your back, you are allowed to make mistakes
remember your mum wants you to have a phD sooner,so you better stick to it while the support is there
Re: Job by Nobody: 9:09am On Apr 11, 2012
Thank's all.

(1) (Reply)

Recharge Card Printing Business / Accessbank Panel Interview On 28th March, Any Second Invitation? / The Hidden Treasure In Hair Maintenance Centers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.