Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,597 members, 7,941,275 topics. Date: Thursday, 05 September 2024 at 10:07 PM

Igbo Ingenuity: Enugu To Support Inventor Of Wind Turbine For Power Generation - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Igbo Ingenuity: Enugu To Support Inventor Of Wind Turbine For Power Generation (4404 Views)

Fashola Becomes Minister For Power, Housing And Works: A New Dawn! / Igbo Ingenuity 101 / Uli Airport: Height Of Igbo Ingenuity. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo Ingenuity: Enugu To Support Inventor Of Wind Turbine For Power Generation by noiseless: 7:32pm On Mar 31, 2012
And what will the foreigners be thinking when they read some of the comments here?
Re: Igbo Ingenuity: Enugu To Support Inventor Of Wind Turbine For Power Generation by Abeem(m): 10:58pm On Apr 01, 2012
Invented? No. Pioneered in Enugu. Yes. How could he be deemed an inventor when the wind turbine is already making waves and is considered part of the "all of the above" solutions to energy security in the US? Well if you don't blow your trumpet, nobody will blow it for you.
Re: Igbo Ingenuity: Enugu To Support Inventor Of Wind Turbine For Power Generation by udezue(m): 2:38am On Apr 02, 2012
Another good reason why we should leave that useless entity Nigeria. We are just too advanced to be lumped with these brainless goons.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Ingenuity: Enugu To Support Inventor Of Wind Turbine For Power Generation by Nobody: 2:50am On Apr 02, 2012
udezue: Another good reason why we should leave that useless entity Nigeria. We are just too advanced to be lumped with these brainless goons.

A beegi! A university graduate just did what a school kid taught himself to do in Malawi several years ago and it's time to leave Nigeria? Mr brainiac, why don't you just leave Africa entirely.
Re: Igbo Ingenuity: Enugu To Support Inventor Of Wind Turbine For Power Generation by EkoIle1: 3:31am On Apr 02, 2012
Must you people claim every invention wey den don invent since?

This low self esteem think is getting out of hand.

When are you going to invent water?

lmao
Re: Igbo Ingenuity: Enugu To Support Inventor Of Wind Turbine For Power Generation by londoner: 4:05am On Apr 02, 2012
Obviously, the word "invented" was incorrect in the title of the piece.

We all know that and this young man from Enugu, I am sure does not claim he invented it.

Is that any reason to rubbish his efforts? Maybe if all Nigerian youths took a practical step like he has, even if they don't get to claim all the glory for invention, we would see improvements.Improvements that dont depend on the government......that is empowering isn't it?

I find it funny that even though the Malawian buy also DID NOT invent a wind turbine........his people saw it as commendable and newsworthy and whats more Nigerians here do not rubbish his efforts.

The problem with many Nigerians is that they are so quick to rubbish what their fellow country men and women do, yet can accept that others do the same and do not object to them being noticed or applauded for it.
Re: Igbo Ingenuity: Enugu To Support Inventor Of Wind Turbine For Power Generation by EkoIle1: 4:29am On Apr 02, 2012
Please stop and quit blaming other people for your usual lies and false claims. This is not about giving credit, it's about the usual lies, bogus claims and overreaching.

Like I asked, when are you going to event water or even the air we breath?
Re: Igbo Ingenuity: Enugu To Support Inventor Of Wind Turbine For Power Generation by londoner: 4:38am On Apr 02, 2012
The only error here is in the title of the written piece.

The young man did not claim he invented the wind turbine did he? We all know here that wind turbines were in existence already.

Does it mean you should rubbish what he is trying to do and the support being offered to him because of the incorrect application of the word "invented".

People here are using the efforts of a Malawian boy who equally did not invent the wind turbine to rubbish what this Nigerian young man has done.

They have both done the same thing, but Nigerians are unable to attribute any value when they consider the efforts of the Nigerian.

Its not that they rubbish both young men.....they only rubbish the Nigerian effort.....lol
Re: Igbo Ingenuity: Enugu To Support Inventor Of Wind Turbine For Power Generation by londoner: 4:44am On Apr 02, 2012
Well done Enugu gov for offering to support this young man and others hopefully.

This is a step in the right direction definately.
Re: Igbo Ingenuity: Enugu To Support Inventor Of Wind Turbine For Power Generation by Nobody: 4:45am On Apr 02, 2012
londoner: The only error here is in the title of the written piece.

The young man did not claim he invented the wind turbine did he? We all know here that wind turbines were in existence already.

Does it mean you should rubbish what he is trying to do and the support being offered to him because of the incorrect application of the word "invented".

People here are using the efforts of a Malawian boy who equally did not invent the wind turbine to rubbish what this Nigerian young man has done.

They have both done the same thing, but Nigerians are unable to attribute any value when they consider the efforts of the Nigerian.

Its not that they rubbish both young men.....they only rubbish the Nigerian effort.....lol

I guess you had to add your input because the guy is Igbo. I can smell the tea and crumpet from a long distance. lipsrsealed

Igbo Kwenu!! undecided
Re: Igbo Ingenuity: Enugu To Support Inventor Of Wind Turbine For Power Generation by londoner: 4:50am On Apr 02, 2012
[s]
shymmex:

I guess you had to add your input because the guy is Igbo. I can smell the tea and crumpet from a long distance. lipsrsealed

Igbo Kwenu!! undecided
[/s]
Re: Igbo Ingenuity: Enugu To Support Inventor Of Wind Turbine For Power Generation by Nobody: 4:57am On Apr 02, 2012
You can strike out my comment, but you can't deny the fact that the guy is just a lousy bloke. It's funny how you only post on Igbo and Ghana Vs. Nigeria topics - please, embrace your Igbo heritage.

I don't like fake people. grin

Londoner Igboner is giving the Pecknarm don bare jokes this early monday morning. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Igbo Ingenuity: Enugu To Support Inventor Of Wind Turbine For Power Generation by londoner: 4:59am On Apr 02, 2012
Its a very good thing that this guy has also looked at how the coal deposits in Enugu can be harnessed too.

I really hope the state governments begin to harness the wealth of talent sitting right under their noses.
Re: Igbo Ingenuity: Enugu To Support Inventor Of Wind Turbine For Power Generation by londoner: 5:00am On Apr 02, 2012
[s][s]
shymmex: You can strike out my comment, but you can't deny the fact that the guy is just a lousy bloke. It's funny how you only post on Igbo and Ghana Vs. Nigeria topics - please, embrace your Igbo heritage.

I don't like fake people. grin

Londoner [s]Igboner is giving the Pecknarm don bare jokes this early monday morning. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
[/s][/s][/s]
Re: Igbo Ingenuity: Enugu To Support Inventor Of Wind Turbine For Power Generation by Nobody: 5:02am On Apr 02, 2012
^^^^^Yo, what's wrong with you? Are you a ghost or something?

Cheer up, b. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Igbo Ingenuity: Enugu To Support Inventor Of Wind Turbine For Power Generation by Nobody: 5:04am On Apr 02, 2012
@Londoner

what's good? I'm serious now, what was your post about again?
Re: Igbo Ingenuity: Enugu To Support Inventor Of Wind Turbine For Power Generation by Nobody: 5:11am On Apr 02, 2012
On a more serious note, there are many talents in Nigeria - and we shouldn't get carried away by this guy's achievement or lack thereof. Air turbines are obsolete - I think Nigerians and Nigeria deserves better. We can't praise a guy for creating a black and white TV - when people have since moved on to LCD and 3D TV. Nigeria is blessed with many talented people, and we shouldn't get carried away with mediocrity.
Re: Igbo Ingenuity: Enugu To Support Inventor Of Wind Turbine For Power Generation by londoner: 5:20am On Apr 02, 2012
[s]
shymmex: ^^^^^Yo, what's wrong with you? Are you a ghost or something?

Cheer up, b. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
[/s]
Re: Igbo Ingenuity: Enugu To Support Inventor Of Wind Turbine For Power Generation by londoner: 5:23am On Apr 02, 2012
[s]
shymmex: @Londoner

what's good? I'm serious now, what was your post about again?
[/s]
Re: Igbo Ingenuity: Enugu To Support Inventor Of Wind Turbine For Power Generation by Nobody: 5:26am On Apr 02, 2012
^^^^^What's wrong with you?

Yo, listen, I'm bored. Let's chat for a bit.

Allow the Igbo thing, that's just my humour on Nl - it's nothing serious, truss.
Re: Igbo Ingenuity: Enugu To Support Inventor Of Wind Turbine For Power Generation by M17: 2:49am On Apr 03, 2012
YOU CAN USE HIGH POWERED ALTERNATOR OR HEAVY DUTY ALTERNATOR FROM A DIESEL VEHICLE .
FABRICATE A 4 FEET WOODEN FAN BLADE ,JUST LIKE AN ENGINE FAN BUT BIGGER IN SIZE ,
ALSO FABRICATE LONG ROTATING POLE WITH 7''INCH IN DIAMETER ATTACH A LOW POWERED OIL BEARING FOR EASY FORWARD DRIVING MOTION ,
EVEN AT SLIGHTEST WIND MOVEMENT , ATTACH THE ALTERNATOR ON A 25 FEET POLE ,BUILD A PLATFORM TO HOLD ALTERNATOR IN PLACE BECAUSE IT IS GOING TO SIT ON A 25 FEET POLE WITH THE LONG 6 BLADE ATTACH TO IT ,THE BLADE SERVES AS A WIND GENERATOR ,RUN A 40 FEET CABLE TO A HEAVY DUTY BATTERY WITH VOLTAGE REGULATOR ,WITH THIS METHOD YOU CAN BUILD A POWER CONTROL SWITCH AND POWER STEP DOWN ............................................................ETC ETC . YOU CAN GENERATE ELECTRIC CITY USING ALTERNATOR FROM A VEHICLE OR AN ELECTRIC SCOOTER WHICH GENERATE 2500 AMP IT HAS SO MANY RANGE OF AMP GENERATOR SCOOTER ,ELECTRIC SCOOTER BIKE ,IT IS A COMMON CONCEPT AND INNOVATION ,I WILL BUILD MEDIUM WIND POWER GENERATOR FOR EACH NIGERIAN HOUSE HOLD ,TRUST ME
Re: Igbo Ingenuity: Enugu To Support Inventor Of Wind Turbine For Power Generation by M17: 3:28am On Apr 03, 2012
as a black man from ss/se i can help nigeria develop a self re- chargeable family wind turbine power generator ,
when there is a low wind ,the turbine automatically switches it self on , using an external power saver ,external battery wired differently from supply battery when in a low wind velocity .i have build and tasted different wind generator using common alternator from small vehicle . i remember old grandpa bicycle back in days in the eastern nigeria village with small attached power generator to generate power for bicycle head lamp when the bicycle tire is rotating more especially at night ,it generates power high/low depend on the tire speed .malawian has the same bicycle generator concept . he simply fabricated a bigger wind blade to drive the same bicycle power generator attached to high elevated wooden pole back in village coupled with a lot of trees around in the malawian jungle , he used a car battery for power storage and he built small control box like switch on/off .
Re: Igbo Ingenuity: Enugu To Support Inventor Of Wind Turbine For Power Generation by Onlytruth(m): 3:30am On Apr 03, 2012
^^
Ol'boy you dey too much o. shocked cool
Re: Igbo Ingenuity: Enugu To Support Inventor Of Wind Turbine For Power Generation by Kobojunkie: 3:52am On Apr 03, 2012
M-16:
as a black man from ss/se i can help nigeria develop a self re- chargeable family wind turbine power generator ,
when there is a low wind ,the turbine automatically switches it self on , using an external power saver ,external battery wired differently from supply battery when in a low wind velocity .i have build and tasted different wind generator using common alternator from small vehicle . i remember old grandpa bicycle back in days in the eastern nigeria village with small attached power generator to generate power for bicycle head lamp when the bicycle tire is rotating more especially at night ,it generates power high/low depend on the tire speed .malawian has the same bicycle generator concept . he simply fabricated a bigger wind blade to drive the same bicycle power generator attached to high elevated wooden pole back in village coupled with a lot of trees around in the malawian jungle , he used a car battery for power storage and he built small control box like switch on/off .

Bicycle light generators/dynamos for a project to supply a whole village? shocked You don ever visit HomeDepot/Lowes or even DIY before?? With the money wey you go take buy your next brand new cell phone, you fit use am build solid materials to build a decent wind mill for at least one compound.
Re: Igbo Ingenuity: Enugu To Support Inventor Of Wind Turbine For Power Generation by igbo2011(m): 5:57am On Apr 03, 2012
Reminds me of this CNN article

http://www.cnn.com/2011/09/26/world/africa/nigeria-sewage-biogas/index.html

In the crowded slums of Lagos, Nigeria, untreated sewage mingles with the chaotic network of pipes that deliver water to the city. Those who can't afford a local borehole or a private vendor know better than to take their chances with the taps -- most preferring to go thirsty instead.
That's according to Olatunbosun Obayomi, a Lagosian microbiologist and inventor who has lived in the city all his life.
But now Obayomi thinks he's found a solution -- one that not only tackles the slums' sanitation issues, but creates free, clean energy in the process.
"With a cheap retrofit, household septic tanks -- the source of the sewage -- can be converted into biogas generators," said Obayomi, 29, whose concept has earned him a TED fellowship, a Nigerian Youth Leadership Award and growing international acclaim.
"The idea of turning waste into energy has been around for centuries. My innovation is simply applying the chemistry in a practical way by using the resources we already have," he explained.
In most homes in Lagos, toilet waste is stored in rudimentary septic tanks beneath the ground. Here it decomposes into a poisonous compound, before being sucked out by a tanker that deposits it all in a nearby lagoon.
"Unfortunately, the system of water pipes is very disorganized, and they often pass through the same place where the sewage is dumped," said Obayomi. "And it's not uncommon for poorly constructed septic tanks to leak directly into the drainage system."
Conventional septic tank
But rather than attempt a wholesale overhaul of Nigeria's waste system, Obayomi's approach makes use of the existing septic tanks -- equipping them with new waste entry pipes that remove oxygen from the decaying process.
Retrofitted septic tank
As he explained: "When excreta decompose with oxygen, it creates a useless, incombustible mixture that carries disease. But without oxygen, the germs die and the mixture produces a combustible gas."
This biogas -- a mix of carbon dioxide and methane -- can be stored in an adjacent underground chamber and used to power cooking stoves, heat homes or even generate electricity.
Opinion: Tackling climate change still a luxury in developing world
"Converting waste into biogas is a win-win strategy," said Sarah Butler-Sloss, founding director of the Ashden Awards, an organization that champions local energy innovations around the world.
"What makes it so elegant is that it resolves a life-threatening sanitation issue -- by treating harmful, waterborne germs -- while simultaneously creating a much-needed source of carbon-free energy," she said.
Butler-Sloss added that recent figures from the U.N. say 1.4 billion people worldwide have no access to electricity, while 2.7 billion still prepare food on grossly inefficient and carbon-hungry open fires.
"We have seen similar projects in places like India and China -- where everything from domestic garbage to animal waste has been used to produce energy with great success ... Clearly this is the time to embrace domestically produced biogas, especially in the developing world."
What makes it so elegant is that it resolves a life-threatening sanitation issue while simultaneously creating a much-needed source of carbon-free energy
Sarah Butler-Sloss, Ashden Awards founder
It's a view shared by the United Nations Environment Program (UNEP).
Patrick Mwefigye is program officer for sustainable consumption and production at UNEP's regional office for Africa. He says that in areas where there is "little funding, capacity or infrastructure" for complex waste management, "we see the production of biogas as having great potential."
At present, Mwefigye says the gas is regularly produced in just a handful of African nations.
"In Rwanda, for instance, the prisons have been fitted with large biogas generators, so that they are almost entirely self-powering," he said.
But, although Obayomi's retrofitted biogas generator is relatively cheap to build -- requiring only low-tech materials such as plastic pipes, cement and sand -- and despite all the recognition it's attracted, only a prototype has been installed so far.
Yet Obayomi conservatively estimates that the average street in Lagos could produce 1,720 liters of biogas a day -- enough for an engine-powered water pump to serve the daily domestic needs of at least 50 families.
So what's the hold-up?
"Biogas generators tend to be constructed in situ," said Butler-Sloss, "And while the materials are relatively cheap, they're not mass-produced like solar panels or wind-turbines so, at present, it's difficult to scale-up."
Obayomi has a different take, however. For him, it's not an issue of resources or need, but attitude.
"Although I've been filmed by government TV and won these awards, no politician has approached me to build anything. In Nigeria there is a lot of talk but very little walk," he lamented.
There is also a problem of credibility, he said. In Obayomi's experience, the hardest place to be taken seriously as a Nigerian inventor is in Nigeria itself.
"It is a new concept for many Nigerians," he said. "There's still this feeling that unless an idea or a piece of new technology comes from the West, then it's not glamorous ... it's not valid."
Re: Igbo Ingenuity: Enugu To Support Inventor Of Wind Turbine For Power Generation by Shadowblaqq(m): 9:33am On Apr 03, 2012
I THINK WHAT IS KILLING NIGERIA IS TRIBALISM.Now checkout a situation where this wonderful idea come from ibos the hausas and yorubas will not be happy cos it did not originate from one of their own THAT'S THE BIG PROBLEM SO MY PEOPLE WE NEED A DIVISION OF THE COUNTRY SO THERE WILL HOMOGENEITY
Re: Igbo Ingenuity: Enugu To Support Inventor Of Wind Turbine For Power Generation by ak47mann(m): 11:39am On Apr 03, 2012
my people are very inventive just that the people we share country with is holding a powerful tribe down.....................................................they need to free us abeg..
Re: Igbo Ingenuity: Enugu To Support Inventor Of Wind Turbine For Power Generation by ak47mann(m): 11:56am On Apr 03, 2012
yorobe people are natural haters is in their DNA don't be surprise that yoruba man that invented mobile toilets in Lagos they killed him with juju.............i never seen these kind of backward wicked minds b4.....................
Re: Igbo Ingenuity: Enugu To Support Inventor Of Wind Turbine For Power Generation by M17: 12:29pm On Apr 03, 2012
KOBOJUNKIE I DON'T HAVE TO DISPUTE THE SECRET OF MY TECH SAVVY TO YOU ,I DON'T JEALOUS ANY NIGERIA BELIEVE ME I HAVE POWERFUL YORUBA TALENT'S AROUND ME TOO ,I KNOW THIS PARTICULAR YORUBA MAN WHO CAN BUILD HIS OWN VEHICLE PROTOTYPE ,YORUBA'S ARE VERY TALENTED TOO ,I KNOW THAT FOR SURE .
I CAN DEVELOP MADE IN NIGERIA WIND TURBINE I HAVE THE CAPABILITIES . I CAN DEVELOP COMMERCIAL PROTOTYPE AND RESIDENTIAL PROTOTYPE DEPEND ON THE INDIVIDUAL'S POCKET CAPACITY . I CAN USE COMMON ELECTRIC SCOOTER TO SUPPLY 6 ROOM'S WITH A POWER INCLUDING HIGH ADAPTABLE LOAD ,USING HIGH VOLTAGE REGULATOR .SOME ELECTRIC MOTOR/SCOOTER CYCLE CAN PRODUCE CONSTANT 2,500 AMPS DEPEND ON THE MODEL , I HAVE SO MANY WAY TO PRODUCE LOW COST MADE IN NIGERIA FOR EVERY FAMILY IN THE WHOLE EASTERN DISTRICT SE/SS . IGBO KWENU EYAAAAA. TRUST ME
Re: Igbo Ingenuity: Enugu To Support Inventor Of Wind Turbine For Power Generation by londoner: 3:26pm On Apr 03, 2012
Any innovation should be rolled out to all even if it begins and grows in one region, or does everything have to be limited by region,tribe or religion?

We will soon get very tired of those three boxes that keep us trapped.........
Re: Igbo Ingenuity: Enugu To Support Inventor Of Wind Turbine For Power Generation by bittyend(m): 3:51pm On Apr 03, 2012
londoner: Any innovation should be rolled out to all even if it begins and grows in one region, or does everything have to be limited by region,tribe or religion?

We will soon get very tired of those three boxes that keep us trapped.........

You can declare Biafra if you like the "three boxes" - and you lot can move to erosion ridden, land locked Biafra land and leave us the phuck alone. All you Igbo clowwns do is just moan, and huff and puff...

I blame Bishop Ajayi Crowther for teaching you guys how to speak and write.
Re: Igbo Ingenuity: Enugu To Support Inventor Of Wind Turbine For Power Generation by bittyend(m): 3:54pm On Apr 03, 2012
ak47mann: yorobe people are natural haters is in their DNA don't be surprise that yoruba man that invented mobile toilets in Lagos they killed him with juju.............i never seen these kind of backward wicked minds b4.....................

Phuck you!!!! Yorubas are way ahead of Igbo gorillas in everything, you forest dwelling Idanre monkeys... When are you going to get tired of screaming Yorubas? We're not the only tribe in Nigeria....

Hausa/Fulani stay killing your kins like goats everyday but you will never say nothing about them, cowards. Keep Yoruba out of your mouth!!!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Breaking! The Nigerian Military Says Chibok Girls Are Dead Already! / House Of Assembly Member Kicked Out Of The House Floor For Indecent Dressing / Why Do Our Identity Cards Expire?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.