Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,187,901 members, 7,933,323 topics. Date: Wednesday, 28 August 2024 at 01:54 AM

Top 5 Regrets People Make On Their Deathbed - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Top 5 Regrets People Make On Their Deathbed (31123 Views)

A Nurse Reveals The Top 5 Regrets People Make On Their Deathbed / Nurse Reveals The Top Five Regrets People Make On Their Deathbed / #ebolaoutbrk:Nigerian fiance "abandoned" Patrick Sawyer’s sister on deathbed? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Top 5 Regrets People Make On Their Deathbed by tomakint: 3:27pm On Nov 27, 2012
Like I used to say that, out of the five secrets about death, only one was revealed to us; that one day you will surely die! The remaining four; nobody knows the time or date he or she will die, nobody knows the type of death that will kill him or her, nobody knows where (the place) he or she will die and nobody knows who is next to die!

Bottomline: Do good unto others and live your life as if it is the very last moment you got. cool

2 Likes

Re: Top 5 Regrets People Make On Their Deathbed by Nobody: 3:29pm On Nov 27, 2012
chakula: indeed very interested!

You mean ..indeed very interesting
Re: Top 5 Regrets People Make On Their Deathbed by Yusfull(m): 3:31pm On Nov 27, 2012
Keneking: This is the most unscientific information about final moments before death i have ever read. The link shows it has origin in India...perhaps this is the wishlist of Indians while on the sick bed about to expire. The point I am labouring to make, is that a research work should be conducted, using theoretical foundation or underpinnings to drive their points. I suppose that in the fields of medicine and psychology, someone must have researched same. In Nigeria, I have a biased view that the wishlist would be :

1. Inability not to live a life of wealth
2. Regret on marrying more than one wife
3. Regret on not acquiring a land at Lagos/Ibadan Expressway
4. Regret on being an armed robber or kidnapper etc

You nab it bro... That's 9ja mentality.... Fact
Re: Top 5 Regrets People Make On Their Deathbed by Nobody: 3:38pm On Nov 27, 2012
Summary of this whole epistle is: if you don't have Jesus your whole existence on this planet will be meaningless and unfruitful. Nothing on earth will satisfy your emptiness. And when you say your final words, regrets would it be.

1 Like

Re: Top 5 Regrets People Make On Their Deathbed by born2boink(m): 3:40pm On Nov 27, 2012
Human task is unlimited, no matter how you try to fulfil the task, you will always have something left you couldn't remember to fulfil till the last hour calling.
Like our leaders will say
1.I wish I never embezzled money
2.I wish my children could learn from greedily and split the cash I kept illegally for them to the nation
3.I wish I was given another chance so I could correct my mistake and lead the people right
4.I wish I never become a president maybe I wouldn't have mislead 150 millions heads

1 Like

Re: Top 5 Regrets People Make On Their Deathbed by NobleNkem(f): 3:41pm On Nov 27, 2012
hmmmmmmmm, the thread just got me thinking. praying - God please help me to live a life true of myself.

1 Like

Re: Top 5 Regrets People Make On Their Deathbed by sylve11: 3:42pm On Nov 27, 2012
So true! sad cool
Re: Top 5 Regrets People Make On Their Deathbed by phaya(f): 3:46pm On Nov 27, 2012
Keneking: This is the most unscientific information about final moments before death i have ever read. The link shows it has origin in India...perhaps this is the wishlist of Indians while on the sick bed about to expire. The point I am labouring to make, is that a research work should be conducted, using theoretical foundation or underpinnings to drive their points. I suppose that in the fields of medicine and psychology, someone must have researched same. In Nigeria, I have a biased view that the wishlist would be :

1. Inability not to live a life of wealth
2. Regret on marrying more than one wife
3. Regret on not acquiring a land at Lagos/Ibadan Expressway
4. Regret on being an armed robber or kidnapper etc

REALLY? How about:
1. Regret on not living a simple n peaceful life
2. Regret on not being a good influence on peoples life
3. Regret on trying to acquire wealth when u know u won't go to the grave with it
4. Regret on not be very close to friends n family which is most important in life!!!!

1 Like

Re: Top 5 Regrets People Make On Their Deathbed by mrrock: 3:47pm On Nov 27, 2012
I' am very happy to have read this thread. Finally, I will be music.
Re: Top 5 Regrets People Make On Their Deathbed by Nobody: 3:49pm On Nov 27, 2012
Wow,now am going to drop all the unecessary thoughts and move on,happiness all the way.

1 Like

Re: Top 5 Regrets People Make On Their Deathbed by Sagamite(m): 3:56pm On Nov 27, 2012
Babasessy: Nurse reveals the top 5 regrets people make on their deathbed

1. I wish I’d had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me.

2. I wish I didn’t work so hard.

3. I wish I’d had the courage to express my feelings.

4. I wish I had stayed in touch with my friends.

5. I wish that I had let myself be happier.

Mehn!

Virtually impossible I have any of these kinds of regrets on my death bird. I like to be happy, I no dey follow-follow, have too many friends and think of myself first.

Regret No. 5 is one I think someone like TV01 might end up with.
Re: Top 5 Regrets People Make On Their Deathbed by Gee001: 3:56pm On Nov 27, 2012
Very inspiring but Mods, dis post shdnt hv taken ages just 2 make front page.
Re: Top 5 Regrets People Make On Their Deathbed by solaceguy(m): 3:59pm On Nov 27, 2012
K

2 Likes

Re: Top 5 Regrets People Make On Their Deathbed by queensmith: 3:59pm On Nov 27, 2012
Gee001: Very inspiring but Mods, dis post shdnt hv taken ages just 2 make front page.

thats what i was thinking, its a very old topic.
Re: Top 5 Regrets People Make On Their Deathbed by Akposkool(m): 4:01pm On Nov 27, 2012
Dis 2 me is da best post i have eva read on dis forum.what a lesson learnt 2day.big ups to d poster.
Re: Top 5 Regrets People Make On Their Deathbed by Sagamite(m): 4:02pm On Nov 27, 2012
Techwriter:
3. For Atheist: I wish I believed there was a God. If I cross over to discover there is no God, Heaven or Hell I have nothing still to loose, but if it turns out to be real, I'm FINISHED

What a dumb post!

This is exactly the kind of mentality the list of regrets is trying to tackle.

So they cross over and find out there is no God but they have not lost living decades of moronic restricted lives all in the name of following some values/morals/nonsense of some ignorant medieval people when they could have fully lived their lives as they wish?
Re: Top 5 Regrets People Make On Their Deathbed by Sagamite(m): 4:04pm On Nov 27, 2012
Gee001: Very inspiring but Mods, dis post shdnt hv taken ages just 2 make front page.

I suggest you volunteer your services so that never happens again.
Re: Top 5 Regrets People Make On Their Deathbed by God2man(m): 4:04pm On Nov 27, 2012
Babasessy: Nurse reveals the top 5 regrets people make on their deathbed

For many years I worked in palliative care. My patients were those who had gone home to die. Some incredibly special times were shared. I was with them for the last three to twelve weeks of their lives. People grow a lot when they are faced with their own mortality.

I learnt never to underestimate someone’s capacity for growth. Some changes were phenomenal. Each experienced a variety of emotions, as expected, denial, fear, anger, remorse, more denial and eventually acceptance. Every single patient found their peace before they departed though, every one of them.

When questioned about any regrets they had or anything they would do differently, common themes surfaced again and again. Here are the most common five:

1. I wish I’d had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me.
This was the most common regret of all. When people realize that their life is almost over and look back clearly on it, it is easy to see how many dreams have gone unfulfilled. Most people had not honoured even a half of their dreams and had to die knowing that it was due to choices they had made, or not made.

It is very important to try and honour at least some of your dreams along the way. From the moment that you lose your health, it is too late. Health brings a freedom very few realise, until they no longer have it.

2. I wish I didn’t work so hard.
This came from every male patient that I nursed. They missed their children’s youth and their partner’s companionship. Women also spoke of this regret. But as most were from an older generation, many of the female patients had not been breadwinners. All of the men I nursed deeply regretted spending so much of their lives on the treadmill of a work existence.

By simplifying your lifestyle and making conscious choices along the way, it is possible to not need the income that you think you do. And by creating more space in your life, you become happier and more open to new opportunities, ones more suited to your new lifestyle.

3. I wish I’d had the courage to express my feelings.
Many people suppressed their feelings in order to keep peace with others. As a result, they settled for a mediocre existence and never became who they were truly capable of becoming. Many developed illnesses relating to the bitterness and resentment they carried as a result.

We cannot control the reactions of others. However, although people may initially react when you change the way you are by speaking honestly, in the end it raises the relationship to a whole new and healthier level. Either that or it releases the unhealthy relationship from your life. Either way, you win.

4. I wish I had stayed in touch with my friends.
Often they would not truly realise the full benefits of old friends until their dying weeks and it was not always possible to track them down. Many had become so caught up in their own lives that they had let golden friendships slip by over the years. There were many deep regrets about not giving friendships the time and effort that they deserved. Everyone misses their friends when they are dying.

It is common for anyone in a busy lifestyle to let friendships slip. But when you are faced with your approaching death, the physical details of life fall away. People do want to get their financial affairs in order if possible. But it is not money or status that holds the true importance for them. They want to get things in order more for the benefit of those they love. Usually though, they are too ill and weary to ever manage this task. It is all comes down to love and relationships in the end. That is all that remains in the final weeks, love and relationships.

5. I wish that I had let myself be happier.
This is a surprisingly common one. Many did not realise until the end that happiness is a choice. They had stayed stuck in old patterns and habits. The so-called ‘comfort’ of familiarity overflowed into their emotions, as well as their physical lives. Fear of change had them pretending to others, and to their selves, that they were content. When deep within, they longed to laugh properly and have silliness in their life again. When you are on your deathbed, what others think of you is a long way from your mind. How wonderful to be able to let go and smile again, long before you are dying.

Life is a choice. It is YOUR life. Choose consciously, choose wisely, choose honestly. Choose happiness

http://www.ariseindiaforum.org/nurse-reveals-the-top-5-regrets-people-make-on-their-deathbed/
Re: Top 5 Regrets People Make On Their Deathbed by God2man(m): 4:13pm On Nov 27, 2012
tomakint: Like I used to say that, out of the five secrets about death, only one was revealed to us; that one day you will surely die! The remaining four; nobody knows the time or date he or she will die, nobody knows the type of death that will kill him or her, nobody knows where (the place) he or she will die and nobody knows who is next to die!

Bottomline: Do good unto others and live your life as if it is the very last moment you got. cool
Re: Top 5 Regrets People Make On Their Deathbed by Nobody: 4:23pm On Nov 27, 2012
@OP it's impossible to wish for courage to live your own life and at the same time wish to remain in touch with friends.

In my experience the two are mutually exclusive so if I really want the courage to live my own life, I honestly wont care about my friends needless to say I dont agree with the "friends" bit and would rather replace it with family, which is safer and better IMO.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Top 5 Regrets People Make On Their Deathbed by joe4christ(m): 4:24pm On Nov 27, 2012
Techwriter: I only agree with few of the above except those people think differently. Here are possible regrets of a dying Nigerian if he is wise
1. For Epicureans/ politicians and corrupt leaders: vanity upon vanity, all is vanity why did I invest all my energy struggling, killings and maimings for frivolities that have come to pass. I wish I lived with eternity in perspective
2. For stars and celebrities: I lived for others, I married for the public and it crashed before it took off. I wish I actually lived my live the way it should be and not the way my fans think it should be. Now every body is happy except me. I have external success and internal collapse; not even drugs can alleviate my malady, yet a lot of young folks wish they could be like me
3. For Atheist: I wish I believed there was a God. If I cross over to discover there is no God, Heaven or Hell I have nothing still to loose, but if it turns out to be real, I'm FINISHED
4. For Tribalists/Racists: imagine that all my life I have been fighting to show how superior we are. Now the same death awaits all of us. Race is only skin deep and ethnicity is a random occurence
5. For Religious Folks who never fulfilled purpose: I was so engrossed in my religious practices that I never lived the life God gave me. I never touched lives, I never did aany thing to chanhe my society for God but simply went to church/mosque prayed etc. I never answered the question: why was I born? So I never fulfilled purpose.

God bless you,
that's actually what comes to mind when someone is on his or her dying bed and not what that nurse wrote up there, beleive me, truth they say is bitter, people would rather accept lies than truth.
But everyone get's to face truth for themselves, either the hard way or the easy way.
Nough said!
Re: Top 5 Regrets People Make On Their Deathbed by Techwriter: 4:29pm On Nov 27, 2012
Sagamite:

What a dumb post!

This is exactly the kind of mentality the list of regrets is trying to tackle.

So they cross over and find out there is no God but they have not lost living decades of moronic restricted lives all in the name of following some values/morals/nonsense of some ignorant medieval people when they could have fully lived their lives as they wish?

It is that same moronic mediaval moral and values that has kept many people from danger. Nothing is as dangerous as freedom without restraints. Ask those in jail, drug addicts and most HIV victims, they wish they had more disciple. I know there is a Heaven, but even if there is none I still thank God for the way he kept me from many traps that would have destroyed me.
Re: Top 5 Regrets People Make On Their Deathbed by Nobody: 4:33pm On Nov 27, 2012
Techwriter:

It is that same moronic mediaval moral and values that has kept many people from danger. Nothing is as dangerous as freedom without restraints. Ask those in jail, drug addicts and most HIV victims, they wish they had more disciple. I know there is a Heaven, but even if there is none I still thank God for the way he kept me from many traps that would have destroyed me.

dumbest post so far.
Re: Top 5 Regrets People Make On Their Deathbed by Nobody: 4:34pm On Nov 27, 2012
[quote author=born2fuck]

Please change ur id, I believe no one will wish his / her child that. Peace
Re: Top 5 Regrets People Make On Their Deathbed by Sagamite(m): 4:43pm On Nov 27, 2012
Techwriter:

No 1, and it is only religion that can restrict danger?

No 2, since you did not specify a religion and referred to athiests, one should pick any religion as long as he picks one then he would not have any regrets?

No 3, did you mean the same medieval morals and values that has led to many deaths from fighting is what has kept people from danger?

enitan2002:

dumbest post so far.

Trust me. No matter how hard they try, some people can just not hide how dumb they are.
Re: Top 5 Regrets People Make On Their Deathbed by Sleek05(f): 4:43pm On Nov 27, 2012
Techwriter: I only agree with few of the above except those people think differently. Here are possible regrets of a dying Nigerian if he is wise

1. For Epicureans/ politicians and corrupt leaders: vanity upon vanity, all is vanity why did I invest all my energy struggling, killings and maimings for frivolities that have come to pass. I wish I lived with eternity in perspective

2. For stars and celebrities: I lived for others, I married for the public and it crashed before it took off. I wish I actually lived my live the way it should be and not the way my fans think it should be. Now every body is happy except me. I have external success and internal collapse; not even drugs can alleviate my malady, yet a lot of young folks wish they could be like me

4. For Tribalists/Racists: imagine that all my life I have been fighting to show how superior we are. Now the same death awaits all of us. Race is only skin deep and ethnicity is a random occurence

5. For Religious Folks who never fulfilled purpose: I was so engrossed in my religious practices that I never lived the life God gave me. I never touched lives, I never did aany thing to chanhe my society for God but simply went to church/mosque prayed etc. I never answered the question: why was I born? So I never fulfilled purpose.

Me likey...Nice one poster, U made so much sense right dere! Kudos!
Re: Top 5 Regrets People Make On Their Deathbed by joe4christ(m): 4:50pm On Nov 27, 2012
[size=15pt]Now, here is the truth, but unfortunately only the wise would see truth in it.
Life is not all about you and your pleasure, no life is about the creator God and his will, your temporal life on earth is like a seed that when sown on earth soil must first of all die and rot before sprutting out new life and produces green and blossom into what nature has designed it to be,
life itself is a test, the way you live it would determine where u would end up for all eternity,
you would blame yourself for all eternity if you deludedly beleive that life is all about you and your happiness, life is all about Jesus, he made the heavens and the earth and for his Glory was it made, to demonstrate his love he had to die the worse and shameful death in other to save his very own creatures from eternal destruction, but if only they would accept his sacrifice of love and trust him to save them, and live the rest of their lives for him cos they've been bought with his precious blood, but yet humanity still prefer to live as they will, only to come to the realisation on their dying bed that they've lived their whole life pursuing after vanity and unrealistic fantasies.
My writeup might sound foolish to your hearing now, but that day you would remember vividly this very words of mine which you turned down not knowing you actually turned down the true words of wisdom that would have saved your life and soul forever.
You would forever remember you had the chance but u would'nt make wise use of it.
Nough said already![/size]
Re: Top 5 Regrets People Make On Their Deathbed by joe4christ(m): 4:51pm On Nov 27, 2012
[size=15pt]Now, here is the truth, but unfortunately only the wise would see truth in it.
Life is not all about you and your pleasure, no life is about the creator God and his will, your temporal life on earth is like a seed that when sown on earth soil must first of all die and rot before sprutting out new life and produces green and blossom into what nature has designed it to be,
life itself is a test, the way you live it would determine where u would end up for all eternity,
you would blame yourself for all eternity if you deludedly beleive that life is all about you and your happiness, life is all about Jesus, he made the heavens and the earth and for his Glory was it made, to demonstrate his love he had to die the worse and shameful death in other to save his very own creatures from eternal destruction, but if only they would accept his sacrifice of love and trust him to save them, and live the rest of their lives for him cos they've been bought with his precious blood, but yet humanity still prefer to live as they will, only to come to the realisation on their dying bed that they've lived their whole life pursuing after vanity and unrealistic fantasies.
My writeup might sound foolish to your hearing now, but that day you would remember vividly this very words of mine which you turned down not knowing you actually turned down the true words of wisdom that would have saved your life and soul forever.
You would forever remember you had the chance but u would'nt make wise use of it.
Nough said already![/size]
Re: Top 5 Regrets People Make On Their Deathbed by Sagamite(m): 4:54pm On Nov 27, 2012
joe4christ: Now, here is the truth, but unfortunately only the wise would see truth in it.
Nough said already!

What a dumb arsse post by someone with mental problems thinking he is wise.
Re: Top 5 Regrets People Make On Their Deathbed by pimplucious: 4:58pm On Nov 27, 2012
Ok now I must tell this girl how much I gbadun her b4 man kaput grin
Re: Top 5 Regrets People Make On Their Deathbed by joe4christ(m): 5:00pm On Nov 27, 2012
Sagamite:

What a dumb arsse post by someone with mental problems thinking he is wise.

Time would tell bro!
Eternity itself would testify of it!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Fire Accident Victim Rejected By General Hospitals In Lagos Dies (Graphic) / Man Swims Inside Gutter In Owerri, Scoops Dirts With Bare Hands (Photos) / Community Panics Over Decaying Body In Lagos State-owned Gardens (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.