Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,711 members, 7,918,189 topics. Date: Monday, 12 August 2024 at 03:11 AM

Bill Gates Gives Yam Farmers $12m: In Nigeria & Ghana - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Bill Gates Gives Yam Farmers $12m: In Nigeria & Ghana (6238 Views)

Bill Gates Dab In New Photo / Nigerians To Pay More For Garri, Yam, Others In Coming Weeks – Report / Interesting Facts About Bill Gates (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bill Gates Gives Yam Farmers $12m: In Nigeria & Ghana by aljharem(m): 10:12pm On Apr 02, 2012
LAGOS (AFP) – The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation gave a $12-million (nine-million-euro) grant Monday to a project aimed at boosting yam production and doubling the income of west African farmers of the crop.

It is the foundation’s largest grant for yam production anywhere in the world, said a spokesman of the International Institute of Tropical Agriculture in Nigeria’s southwest city of Ibadan.

The project’s initial focus is on 200,000 smallholder farm families in Ghana and Nigeria, 90 percent of whom cultivate less than two acres, the institute said in a statement.

Yam, a tuber plant, is a staple food in many tropical countries and provides the most important source of dietary calories in Nigeria and Ghana.

But a variety of pests and diseases have dramatically reduced harvests.

“Most farmers cultivate yams mainly for household consumption, but if we can increase yields, while also improving marketing conditions, then many of these farmers should be able to earn a steady income from growing yams,” institute director general Nteranya Sanginga said.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/04/gates-gives-12m-grant-to-boost-yam-production/
Re: Bill Gates Gives Yam Farmers $12m: In Nigeria & Ghana by sonety2k(m): 10:33pm On Apr 02, 2012
cool
Re: Bill Gates Gives Yam Farmers $12m: In Nigeria & Ghana by rastamouse: 10:37pm On Apr 02, 2012
Good work Bill and Melinda. It greatest way to live is to put a smile on a face. You have done it.

We can all learn from this. We are not here to live for ourselves but to live for the betterment of others. After death, you are going to be judged based on how best you carried out this task. Read this http://heavenandhellstories..com
Re: Bill Gates Gives Yam Farmers $12m: In Nigeria & Ghana by Osama10(m): 10:38pm On Apr 02, 2012
I hope the grant gets to the real farmers! cheesy
Re: Bill Gates Gives Yam Farmers $12m: In Nigeria & Ghana by Harbb: 10:44pm On Apr 02, 2012
^^^^ Thts the question
Re: Bill Gates Gives Yam Farmers $12m: In Nigeria & Ghana by Opoki(m): 10:46pm On Apr 02, 2012
Osama10: I hope the grant gets to the real farmers! cheesy
Just my thought but its a pity because many farmers will never have access to the grantsadsadsad.
Re: Bill Gates Gives Yam Farmers $12m: In Nigeria & Ghana by Louteelaw84: 10:51pm On Apr 02, 2012
This is how a man that started from the scratch and finally made it in life shld behave
Re: Bill Gates Gives Yam Farmers $12m: In Nigeria & Ghana by Nobody: 10:55pm On Apr 02, 2012
Let the looting and diversion of funds begin!

1 Like

Re: Bill Gates Gives Yam Farmers $12m: In Nigeria & Ghana by Businesstools(m): 11:01pm On Apr 02, 2012
He must be in love with yams.
Re: Bill Gates Gives Yam Farmers $12m: In Nigeria & Ghana by babaowo: 11:17pm On Apr 02, 2012
I don't know about ghana but its sure naija farmers wouldn't benefits from this because of the corrupt system.
Re: Bill Gates Gives Yam Farmers $12m: In Nigeria & Ghana by manmustwac(m): 11:46pm On Apr 02, 2012
An athiest gives $12 million U.S. dollars to Nigerian and Ghanaian farmers. shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Bill Gates Gives Yam Farmers $12m: In Nigeria & Ghana by dappiedapzie(m): 11:49pm On Apr 02, 2012
This is really a great deal but i hope Nigeria's corrupt system will let the small scale farmers benefit from it.
Re: Bill Gates Gives Yam Farmers $12m: In Nigeria & Ghana by osram(m): 11:54pm On Apr 02, 2012
Useless money,devilish money,satanic money.freemason money..
Re: Bill Gates Gives Yam Farmers $12m: In Nigeria & Ghana by HighChief4(m): 11:56pm On Apr 02, 2012
Dangote and especially Adenuga should take a leaf from Bill's book. Nice one
Re: Bill Gates Gives Yam Farmers $12m: In Nigeria & Ghana by LEXYLOV: 11:56pm On Apr 02, 2012
I know very well that the yam farmer in Nigeria will not get anything from this benefit. The money will be share among those wearing suits and babariga at the various office. Full stop. undecided
Re: Bill Gates Gives Yam Farmers $12m: In Nigeria & Ghana by Suntemi(m): 11:59pm On Apr 02, 2012
osram: Useless money,devilish money,satanic money.freemason money..

If he no give una go complain, he gives, u say na devilish money. Na jesuslish money u dey spend?
Re: Bill Gates Gives Yam Farmers $12m: In Nigeria & Ghana by gururguy: 12:06am On Apr 03, 2012
first time help
Re: Bill Gates Gives Yam Farmers $12m: In Nigeria & Ghana by Yewe2011(m): 12:23am On Apr 03, 2012
what's the catch?
Re: Bill Gates Gives Yam Farmers $12m: In Nigeria & Ghana by Kobojunkie: 12:25am On Apr 03, 2012
Osama10: I hope the grant gets to the real farmers! cheesy

Abi!!
Re: Bill Gates Gives Yam Farmers $12m: In Nigeria & Ghana by eghost247(m): 12:37am On Apr 03, 2012
good move
Re: Bill Gates Gives Yam Farmers $12m: In Nigeria & Ghana by joelala(m): 12:44am On Apr 03, 2012
Useless money,devilish money,satanic money.freemason money..

you are nuffin but a sick and ungrateful bastard...your people wey make clean money, how many of dem fit help, no be private jets and airline business dem use dem money do....bloody goat.

2 Likes

Re: Bill Gates Gives Yam Farmers $12m: In Nigeria & Ghana by nijanigga: 12:55am On Apr 03, 2012
Oyinbo man knows that a hungry man is an angry man. No nation in the world is developed without solving it's food problem .Nigeria still in the shackles of corruption is doomed forever. Going by the way many think in this room, you will know that there is hunger in the land.
The Bill gates grant will never get to the farmers,meant for. This is Nigeria the land of corruption
Re: Bill Gates Gives Yam Farmers $12m: In Nigeria & Ghana by nijanigga: 12:57am On Apr 03, 2012
joelala:

you are nuffin but a sick and ungrateful bastard...your people wey make clean money, how many of dem fit help, no be private jets and airline business dem use dem money do....bloody goat.
oloshi,what of oil money=blood money.
Going by the way people like this think, there is big hunger in the land.
Re: Bill Gates Gives Yam Farmers $12m: In Nigeria & Ghana by chiyex(m): 1:12am On Apr 03, 2012
u say devilish money. u guys need to wake up. yahoo boys scam people and come on facebook to say " na God". bill gates gives money to help lives and u are talking shit. you guys are far from reality

1 Like

Re: Bill Gates Gives Yam Farmers $12m: In Nigeria & Ghana by Lollysbride: 2:46am On Apr 03, 2012
I know very well that the yam farmer in Nigeria will not get anything from this benefit.[img]http://www.demama.info/hjk[/img]
Re: Bill Gates Gives Yam Farmers $12m: In Nigeria & Ghana by Nobody: 4:28am On Apr 03, 2012
Modded
Re: Bill Gates Gives Yam Farmers $12m: In Nigeria & Ghana by ZUBY77(m): 6:01am On Apr 03, 2012
Another money for the senators
Re: Bill Gates Gives Yam Farmers $12m: In Nigeria & Ghana by YusufAliyu1: 6:33am On Apr 03, 2012
That was a very good one. How i wish the Nigerian Govt and the rich guys emulate such, instead of becoming rats.
There was a time Nassarawa State Govt practised the exportations of yam tubers,could'nt continue.
Such will encourage the people concern, if only.......
Re: Bill Gates Gives Yam Farmers $12m: In Nigeria & Ghana by ypzilanti: 7:32am On Apr 03, 2012
osram: Useless money,devilish money,satanic money.freemason money..

Kindly ask your pastor to donate church money for this cause...let him suspend buying his 4th or 5th SUV.
Re: Bill Gates Gives Yam Farmers $12m: In Nigeria & Ghana by okooyinbo(m): 8:00am On Apr 03, 2012
I dont know what is wrong with you young ones. Please stop saying the money will not get to the farmers. It is really not needed here. The money donated was not meant to be distributed to the farmers, but to help research into better disease resistant yam species to help the small scale farmers get better yields. The institute that got the money is not a Nigerian institute. It is an international institute that for decades has been at the forefront of developing agriculture in the African tropics. If you have not been to the IITA in Ibadan, please go and visit them and get a glimpse of what they do. It is really idiotic and ignorantic to claim the money wont get to the farmers. The money will be used for the purpose intended and that's RESEARCH into developing a better yielding and disease resistant yam species.
Re: Bill Gates Gives Yam Farmers $12m: In Nigeria & Ghana by ignis: 8:01am On Apr 03, 2012
[color=#000099][/color]
i am also a yam farmer.... How do i get my share of the cash?

(1) (2) (Reply)

New CBN Audit Report Out - 3 More Banks Indicted / Do You Have A Domicillary Account? / LPG Refilling Plant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.