Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,031 members, 7,970,183 topics. Date: Tuesday, 08 October 2024 at 10:35 PM

Lazy People Sell Links, Foolish People Buy Them. - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Lazy People Sell Links, Foolish People Buy Them. (4220 Views)

BLOG & WEBSITE OWNERS: DROP 'UR LINKS HERE FOR REVIEW & TRAFFIC / Why Are We Developers Lazy In Putting Up A Good Web Portfolio / Are Nigerian Webmasters Really Lazy? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lazy People Sell Links, Foolish People Buy Them. by naijacutee(f): 10:45am On Nov 04, 2007
I'm getting rather sick of all these Lazyman "jobs". Suddenly, everyone has turned into a "Sudden wealth" expert. The business section has turned from a place to exchange useful knowledge that may contribute to the progress of our country to a useless links market. Send-email-and-earn-money, Refer-people-and-earn-money, blah blah blah schemes. These schemes will never ever ever contribute to the progress of our country, they do not work. If there was something tangible involved, then one might try and justify the sensilibity of all these multi-level marketing schemes. But as far as I know, there isn't anything tangible involved. The masterminds design it in such a way that people earn $100 once, and so they never want to leave again. It's a bit like gambling and is only a waste of our youthful resources. I know (or hope) these things are a deterrent to operating scams, but surely we can seek better, and more useful business opportunities?

Please Nigerians, let us not fall for these things as the are for lazy and unproductive minds. We are much more than this and we can do better.
Re: Lazy People Sell Links, Foolish People Buy Them. by eniyan(m): 12:01pm On Nov 04, 2007
The business section has turned from a place to exchange useful knowledge that may contribute to the progress of our country to a useless links market.

This is true and its annoying. I think there should be a special business section for all these 'get-rich-quick' schemes, as per exercising freedom of speech.
Re: Lazy People Sell Links, Foolish People Buy Them. by wham(m): 12:10pm On Nov 04, 2007
@poster

True talk

But that was kind of harsh
Lazy People Sell Links, Foolish People Buy Them
Re: Lazy People Sell Links, Foolish People Buy Them. by vicadex07(m): 12:13pm On Nov 04, 2007
That was a very resourceful post there. Pls keep it up. We need more young Nigerians who have the same vision like you.
        Life is all about competition. We dont have to depend on other peoples ideas to be a better person. "This people" have created a lot of 'ideas' and 'ideals' that we are all following till date. WE ARE STILL LIKE SLAVES IN THE MIND. We have to do our own things and excel in them so that other people would look up to us.
        Let us start with uniting with each other and conquering Africa first then we deal with the world. It is all in our "minds" and "hands". The basic weapon is sincere love and unity among freee minded Nigerians like you. We can all make it a better place cause we are blessed with resources but we lack ideas to use them. God made us comfortable; now we are lazy;
Re: Lazy People Sell Links, Foolish People Buy Them. by Dumebi91(f): 3:27pm On Nov 05, 2007
check this out.
Re: Lazy People Sell Links, Foolish People Buy Them. by oliky(m): 1:01am On Nov 06, 2007
Guess you were a bit too tough with folks when you called them lazy,maybe and maybe not.Its in the way they go about it.Abi,have been able to help any of them with a better way to use their time if they sincerely want to something different.The truth is that out there in the western world,US,Uk and some other places,there are folks making a living online.I know what am saying,some white folks spend 20 hours online selling their products or promoting their sites for more traffic and stuff like that.I believe pple can make residual income online,although its wrong to put all your focus on it,cos that is when you'll really look lazy,but you can make a little $300 to $800 online evry month,it depends on what you doing.So lets not criticise them,they should just do what they do with some wisdom,it should just income for the pocket.At least nairaland is a huge success today,and our admin keeps pay per click income from google and otheres made by you and i.so folks should be more creative and promote the right things online,rather than promote scam programs and HYIP and MLM.
Re: Lazy People Sell Links, Foolish People Buy Them. by abutex: 1:18pm On Nov 06, 2007
naijacutee:

I'm getting rather sick of all these Lazyman "jobs". Suddenly, everyone has turned into a "Sudden wealth" expert. The business section has turned from a place to exchange useful knowledge that may contribute to the progress of our country to a useless links market. Send-email-and-earn-money, Refer-people-and-earn-money, blah blah blah schemes. These schemes will never ever ever contribute to the progress of our country, they do not work. If there was something tangible involved, then one might try and justify the sensilibity of all these multi-level marketing schemes. But as far as I know, there isn't anything tangible involved. The masterminds design it in such a way that people earn $100 once, and so they never want to leave again. It's a bit like gambling and is only a waste of our youthful resources. I know (or hope) these things are a deterrent to operating scams, but surely we can seek better, and more useful business opportunities?

Please Nigerians, let us not fall for these things as the are for lazy and unproductive minds. We are much more than this and we can do better.

Bros, you need a medical attention because you still think like our grandfathers .
One thing i know is that we all like tradition and we hate change,you are sick of all the links because you don't know how many people that are earning a living from all these MLM.Laziness is when you can't accept new ideas and you think that living paycheck to paycheck can change your financial life.Bros,get real people like me has made $14,000 from mlm(DIAMOND CASH CLUB) and alot of you can not save upto that amount till you retire from your traditional 8-6 jobs. Anyway,i feel sorry for some of our youths because your BSC alone or whatever you have cannot save you from poverty unless you do what other youths are doing to eleviate their families from nigerian bad economy.Anyway, i will advice people to learn how to take risk because life is all about how you dress it.
chao
Re: Lazy People Sell Links, Foolish People Buy Them. by slim49z(m): 1:41pm On Nov 06, 2007
naijacutee:

Oh Brotha, Am I sorry for you or am I?

Nigeria as a country didn't consider you at all, they neither care whether you live nor die. So why should you consider it? Your destiny is in your hands.

You 're complaning about many scheems in the forum, well its time you know most of them 're for real. You 're afraid to venture into any any of them just because you 're afraid to step out of ur comfort zone. I'm still more sorry for you brotha.

For unless, you step out of your comfort zone and make a step forward, u ain't getting anything out of this life. And beleive me, you ain't gonna make much money in a 8-6 job as with compared to the opportunities online.

I, personally made $1,100 on september online. I haven't calculated last month's stats yet. I wouldn't have made this much if I ws stuck in a 8-6 job in this godamn country.

Good luck to us all,
slim wink
Re: Lazy People Sell Links, Foolish People Buy Them. by coli: 2:04pm On Nov 06, 2007
My Guy,

I disagree with you 100% that MLM/refferal marketing is for lazy people and the people who come on board are foolish. I guess you are yet to realize the kind of world we live in right now. From your statement I can tell you are a bit conservative but sorry the world now is for high flyers, people who don't just sit down and judge others unfairly, rather than encouraging them to do what they love to do best. You talked about ideas, what kind of ideas are you are talking about that makes you think you are better than MLM marketers? Remember the concept of MLM was thought off by somebody and today it is making a lot people millionaires. Bring out your so call good and responsible idea and let hear it after all Nairaland is a forum for exchanging information.

If you don't like MLM, no wahala, but don't criticize it. Rather than criticize what you don't know or understand, please seek knowledge. After all not every business is not for everybody. No idea, no matter how is better than another, it all depends on who is championing it.

Thank you.
Re: Lazy People Sell Links, Foolish People Buy Them. by slim49z(m): 2:10pm On Nov 06, 2007
coli:

My Guy,

I disagree with you 100% that MLM/refferal marketing is for lazy people and the people who come on board are foolish. I guess you are yet to realize the kind of world we live in right now. From your statement I can tell you are a bit conservative but sorry the world now is for high flyers, people who don't just sit down and judge others unfairly, rather than encouraging them to do what they love to do best. You talked about ideas, what kind of ideas are you are talking about that makes you think you are better than MLM marketers? Remember the concept of MLM was thought off by somebody and today it is making a lot people millionaires. Bring out your so call good and responsible idea and let hear it after all Nairaland is a forum for exchanging information.

If you don't like MLM, no wahala, but don't criticize it. Rather than criticize what you don't know or understand, please seek knowledge. After all not every business is not for everybody. No idea, no matter how is better than another, it all depends on who is championing it.

Thank you.

Tell him mister,

That guy needs to have another fresh of ideas or he is gonna be a stagnant pool tongue
Re: Lazy People Sell Links, Foolish People Buy Them. by abutex: 3:03pm On Nov 06, 2007
naijacutee:

I KNOW A VERY GOOD PSYCHOLOGIST THAT I WILL RECOMMEND FOR U AND YOUR BELIEVERS,email me @ deanferdy@yahoo.com and i will do it for free,absolutely no charge.Sorry but that's the reality.
Re: Lazy People Sell Links, Foolish People Buy Them. by Dumebi91(f): 3:41pm On Nov 07, 2007
most of these programs are real while most as well are scams but I research into all the multi-level marketing shemes and you either need to belong to a club to know where to invest and make money work for you.
Re: Lazy People Sell Links, Foolish People Buy Them. by Dumebi91(f): 3:45pm On Nov 07, 2007
abutex I liked that statement of yours because I know my self dat times are changing we are in info tech age.
Re: Lazy People Sell Links, Foolish People Buy Them. by Nobody: 4:40pm On Nov 07, 2007
naijacutee:

well well well undecided

u say these schemes will never contribute to the progress of our country, do u mean when the individual involved in this scheme is dead as a result of joblessness and deep cutting poverty.

speaking of something tangible, i agree with u although i know of an IT website(www.dktpartners.co.uk) that offers over 500 courses for just 100pounds

its a bit like gambling, my brother studying, living and staying in Nigeria with the hope of living a decent life as your mates out there is a BIG GAMBLE save for his grace(God)

a waste of our youthful resources, better than 419

more useful business opportunities, my guy no be yam for Naija, its not easy not with a dilapidated power as well as poor or no means of capital.

kneels down and says a short prayer for the Nigerian populace embarassed
Re: Lazy People Sell Links, Foolish People Buy Them. by naijacutee(f): 9:57pm On Nov 09, 2007
I apologise for my absence on this thread. I've gotten the sort of answers I'd expected. Thank you Nairalanders, for not letting me down! Those who see where I'm coming from, and think that people should do more positive things with their resources - Thank you.

bukc:

[color=#000099]if you don't understand the rationale behind these schemes why don't you ask the questions, there are several which are on right now from which so many are benefitting from and much more are getting involved,you just have to be careful with which ever you choose to join so you don't end up loosing your money, most cycling schemes are perfectly planned to work in such a way that everybody that joins at the right time has a chance make it to the top, they work basically just like our local co-operative societies where so many pull their resources together and the first person to join in gets the first payment and then has the opportunity to start all over again right from the bottom with more capital thus enhancing the chances of others, thats just the basic story. You don't have to sit back and watch everyother one around you getting paid, take the decision, be smart about it and make something for yourself. Always remember "ignorance is just as bad as poverty itself".SIT DOWN LOOK NA DOG NAME.If you are in doubt, send me a mail at old_bukc@yahoo.com or call me (Ken) on +2348026081838.

It seems we are not talking about the same thing. I'm not talking about whether these schemes produce money or not. Some yield money in the short-term, some yield in the long term, some don't yield at all. My concerns are that, in a developing country like Nigeria, these things will take us no where. There are lots and lots of areas in our country which need attention. It's true that the government should do something about it, but if the government isn't willing to, then don't you think we should? At least, so that out children can have a better future, and actually be proud of where they come from? So that in international gatherings, they are not looked upon with suspiscion simply because of what country they originate from? That is where I'm going with this, my brother. Money has always been in this country , in different forms and with different people and it has never solved our problems. What will solve our problems is a paradigm shift, a change of thinking.

Thethy:

It is true.Businesses like Snail and Grasscutter farming are creative and highly rewarding,interested persons could check them out @ www.thethyconsulting.com

www.thethyconsulting.com

I would rather go into your line of business, my brother, than join these schemes.
slim49z:

Oh Brotha, Am I sorry for you or am I?

I'm a sister, my brother.

slim49z:

Nigeria as a country didn't consider you at all, they neither care whether you live nor die. So why should you consider it? Your destiny is in your hands.

Yes, you are right brother. The country did not consider me in the first place. However, we have been following this pattern for years and nothing has come out of it. Don't you think we should at least try something else? Try another formular perhaps? Maybe if we try and do more things that will benefit us, and at the same time, benefit the country, would things be better? If we all as young people go into productive enterprise - open our eyes and look for a way to fix things, while creating income for ourselves. . . Isn't that a viable way to go about it? If we don't, foreigners will come and do these things for us, make money off us, and convert us into second-class citizens in our own country like they did in South Africa.

slim49z:

You 're complaning about many scheems in the forum, well its time you know most of them 're for real. You 're afraid to venture into any any of them just because you 're afraid to step out of your comfort zone. I'm still more sorry for you brotha.

My brother, again I say, it's not about the money. It's about how you make it and what it will do for you tomorrow. We should start thinking about tomorrow. What makes the UK the country it is today is that people were brave enough to put their lives at stake, just to make money in ways that guaranteed their future. Even if their methods blatantly violated human rights and every sense of morality. They still went thus far. I'm not saying we should go as far as they did, I'm just asking that we please look into the reasoning behind these things and observe how they have paid off today.

slim49z:

I, personally made $1,100 on september online.

Congrats, but is that where the story ends? "I made $1,100 online. . ."?

slim49z:

Tell him mister,

That guy needs to have another fresh of ideas or he is going to be a stagnant pool tongue

I have 1001 ideas which do not involve sitting in front of a computer and sending people links. I made a decision a long time ago, that as long as I live, and I'm Nigerian, kids on the street will have an education, potentially hardworking people without jobs will have an opportunity to earn a living,  Nigerians will eat good, and nutritious food, people will receive proper healthcare. . . If God spares my life and gives me time. I don't even need the money - Just time.

abutex:

I KNOW A VERY GOOD PSYCHOLOGIST THAT I WILL RECOMMEND FOR You AND YOUR BELIEVERS,email me @ deanferdy@yahoo.com and i will do it for free,absolutely no charge.Sorry but that's the reality.

Has it reached that stage? Why a psychologist? Please point out what you don't agree with in my beliefs. Aren't people who sit and send links being too lazy to think of tangible sources of income? What happens if (when) these schemes are overloaded with compeition, and start to close down one by one? What next?

bLacK GoLd:

well well well undecided

u say these schemes will never contribute to the progress of our country, do u mean when the individual involved in this scheme is dead as a result of joblessness and deep cutting poverty.

speaking of something tangible, i agree with u although i know of an IT website(www.dktpartners.co.uk) that offers over 500 courses for just 100pounds

its a bit like gambling, my brother studying, living and staying in Nigeria with the hope of living a decent life as your mates out there is a BIG GAMBLE save for his grace(God)

a waste of our youthful resources, better than 419

more useful business opportunities, my guy no be yam for Naija, its not easy not with a dilapidated power as well as poor or no means of capital.

kneels down and says a short prayer for the Nigerian populace embarassed

I understand where you're coming from, my brother. I guess I have not explained myself thoroughly. I don't know how else to explain what I mean but let me attempt an example. Let's take two typical Nigerians. Both, through some miracle (or MLM) receive N30,000. One sees it as "Ope O" (his phone is nothing to write home about by the way), so uses it to settle debts, and with the remaining buys a new phone to "celebrate". (Nothing wrong in that by the way). The other receives the same amount and uses it to buy recharge cards in bulk to sell to people, even though his phone is nothing to write home about. And keeps buying and selling recharge cards until his profit can buy him a new phone independently of his initial capital of N30,000. At the end of the day, who is more productive? Capital comes and goes everyday but we don't always recognise it. It's a bit like the parable Jesus told about the 10 talents. Sorry if I have digressed.
Re: Lazy People Sell Links, Foolish People Buy Them. by seabiotics(m): 12:54am On Nov 10, 2007
Naijacutee,

With guided precision, I painstakingly read the diverse viewpoints from all the other forumers to the topic you raised and came to the conclusion that neither their comments or yours is out of place. Personally, I have an aversion for MLM schemes having been involved in them in the past. As with any business, the risk one decides to take in investing ones money ought to be a calculated one. In saying this, the investor is well advised to undertake a proper appraisal of the business, know its strengths, and likely pitfalls, the yield factor and long term propects for growth. If all these are missing then it is be avoided at all cost.

Admittedly, MLM may not be everyone's cup of tea. Indeed, I am yet to see any kind of business that will appeal to everyone. Why? As surprising as it seems, not everyone wishes to amass a large quantity of money. This is not to say that those that harbour this wish, should be vilified or derided. Similarly, any one going in MLM should not be assailed with self smug phrases such as"fools", "lazy", or "stupid". Contrary to conventional thinking, there are some networking home businesses that some people do on a full time basis which invariably provided them financial freedom and quality time being spent with their families, which had hitherto eluded them when they were stuck in their 9-5 rut.

Observably, the world being a global economy is about to witness the dawn of a new marketing concept. No longer will people have to rely on the physical distribution of products anymore. What will evolve from now on is the intellectual distribution and marketing of goods and services over the internet, especially in the wellness industry. Without a doubt, the marketing and wellness industry will produce a lot of millionaires in the coming years especially with people who work from home. For more indepth analysis on this, may I recommend Paul Zane Pilzer's book The Next Millionaires. See link below. http://www.paulzanepilzer.com/tnm.htm

Coming back to the points you raised, you meant well by alluding to the fact that we should find alternative means to create other ways of sustainance and production to the economy of Nigeria. However, that can only become a reality if people are able to make money legitimately and in return make money work for them. Other streams of income and the establishment of businesses can then spring forth from there which will create many employment opportunities and contribute significantly to the GDP of Nigeria. That was how JP Getty (the Bill Gates of his time did it) in America coming off the depression era. His recipe for success was "rise early, work hard and strike gold". If he hadn't taken a calculated business risk, the American economy would not have benefited tremendously from his huge success as a businessman.

Rather than dwell on the demerits of MLM, perhaps you need to take a cursory look at our beleaguared economy over the years, and ask this perennial question: Where does all the huge millions that an oil rich country like Nigeria make a day disappear to?

I'll leave you to ponder on that fufu for thought.
Re: Lazy People Sell Links, Foolish People Buy Them. by busaboy(m): 4:59am On Nov 10, 2007
@ Naijacutee,

i agree that we should all see what we can contribute to Nigeria as a nation, but to some its an uphill task when they have issues like survival at stake.

With the statistic that 9 out of 10 start up businesses will not make it to see their 5th year, Network marketing provides an excellent means for many aspiring Nigerians to try their hands in the business world without taking risks that would wipe them out.

With a network marketing organisation, the systems are already built for you, all you have to do is work the system i.e. focus on your marketing.

I know several marketers that have cycled out of the top positions in their respective marketing groups and gone on to contribute to their respective communities in a positive way.

Network marketing can be the springborard many need to get them to the point where they can really make a difference in their communities and their lives ( where it matters most)

Please take the patience to check out this thread and see the great thing that can be done with network marketing and a little creativity on the part of a very bright Nigerian lady

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-77382.0.html

If you are stuck in a rut, i believe you have to get out of that rut before you can make any meaningful progress.
Re: Lazy People Sell Links, Foolish People Buy Them. by gbengaijot(m): 1:05pm On Nov 10, 2007
@NaijaCutie, I feel every word you detailed on here and i must say that YOU ARE VERY RIGHT. And if i must say my own piece,

Did you notice that sometimes ago, the rave of the moment was Nigerian-Made HYIP's llike Treasureline, Notspecto, coolcash, Wealthsolutions and the likes of others. I remembred then that so many people bashed Seun for putting the threads in "scam prone business" and he nearly got e-mobbed for that. Then (up till May this year, ) so many people were saying "they knew someone who made millions, they know this person who made trillions" and they all give their own different success stories. Fortunately, before the rave died down and caused chaos for so many people, i was opportuned to visit treasureline and i saw quite a lot of things for myself. Deep within me, i could tell that they were doing a kind of matrix system of payout which is likely to crash in the long run. As at that time, Deolu Akinyemi's blog was of immense information to everyone. Sometimes later, HYIP died. So many people lost their money. I even had a rumour that a popular governor invested about 35 Million Naira in such scheme, can you imagine. Since then, no one made mention of anything again in regards to that

The next craze that came after that is "Forex Trading". Everywhere you go, every newspaper you read, every thread you visit, are all screaming with forex Trading and training. At some point, Robot trading was introduced. so many people had a feeling that they could make sooooo much money online within mnutes without them doing much work. So many people invested, they traded and lost so much money. Being a forex trader myself, i knew its easy to lose money. I had quite couple of people who called me sometimes ago after reading my post on my blog/website about how they could go about forex trading and i explained that its not for everyone. Infact so many half baked Forex trading institution sprang up, claiming to have the surest system and replacing hardwork with robotic trading. Somehow, Forex is dying out at a fast pace,

Now the next craze is MLM, Diamond cash, Getaway( My friend call it Get Lost) and the likes of others.Every Newspaper is screaming MLM. While i don't have any issue against MLM at all, i must say that the Nigerian Mentality is that of a "one way Traffic". In the quest to make easy money, we end up losing more and more.
We are easily gullibled by reading the stories of people who bought cars or claim to make millions when they are infact lyging just to sell their wares. One of such is an advert i saw on the pages of Success Digest magazine sometimes ago( about two weeks now). A guy actually bought a full page to display his brand new car and claim to have made 22,000 USD and bought a brand new car from MLM. And after all the bragging and stuffs, His advert cajoled readers to come and join the MLM he invested in, Hundreds of people, actually did.  Now my worries are that, not everyone that ventures into this will eventually make it.

All i know is that, when MLM crashes, or lose its popular taste, another rave will get into the market, thereby making the pursuit of "small work, big pay" a continous process with about 80% not making headway in the race

So whats the Next Step:
1.Its best for an average Nigerian to have an entrepreneurship mindest and build on their existing idea, irrespective of what they are. I have discovered something in Enterpreneurship, The business i do now, is only a steppng stone to a bigger idea i have in my head. I have a small business i started about three months ago that has a cash inflow of about N30K every week. Each time my friends laugh at me at the low cashflow, and ask me why i am starting a small business instead of building a large one, i simply tell them that what i have is a MEANS TO AN END. Do you have a big idea?, think big and start small, The ideas and cash you pulled together from your small business can definitely finance the big business in the big picture.

2.I do not believe in borrowing cash from banks to start a small business. I believe the fact that the money i need to start a big idea in my head is with every Nigerian. If i can squeeze the money out of their hand by ofering them a fair priced product or service, and then gather the capital bit by bit, i am sure in the MEANS TO AN END. I know this could take quite a long time, but the juice is well worth the squeeze.

3. Invest more in knowledge. Please don't attend seminars( you are better of buying books and Seminar CDS). Read through various websites. For more information on starting up a business, you can download "The bootstrappers Bible" from my blog(see my signature). It has been a lot of help for me. There is no substitute for knowledge. visit other blogs like www.cashflowsuite..com, www.deoluakinyemi.com, www.stevepavlina.com for more knowledge. it will be of help.

4.Patience is a virtue, I know its difficult to be patient(infact, some Nigerians think its unfair) but having passion for what you do can help you to be more patient as well. Enjoy what you do.

5. Do not be afraid of failure, A business whizkid once told me a phrase, "Do the damn thing", yes, just do it, don't be bothered about what people say about your small startup. Just make sure that what you are doing is completely right and you are not leaving any stones unturned.

6. Don't follow trends, especially the nigerian trend. Dont follow the Nigerian mentality, just do you own thing and be unique.

&. Lastly, don't let a brick wall discourage you. Instead, look for ways to corner round the brickwall so as to continue on your journey to success. In my own experience, one of such brickwall is lack of electricity. i simply meandred round it by saving up some money(FROM CASH FINLOWS OF COURSE) and buying a small Generator, Inverter and Battery.

I guess my little post has been of immense help. While i know that my post may generate a lot of mixed feelings, i still believe in the fact that there is no subsititute for hardwork, if you want to be successful.
Re: Lazy People Sell Links, Foolish People Buy Them. by naijacutee(f): 11:03am On Nov 11, 2007
@seabiotics : I do apologise for sounding smug, by using the word "lazy", but doesn't it seem so, that in such a country where people are in abundance, natural resources are existent (therefore the money is there, somewhere) and amenities are lacking - that one would rather sit n front of a pc and send links to people than think of the bigger picture? I'm not against someone sitting in front of a pc, and designing software, or graphics for sale. I'm not against people who are creative and write articles for publishing. In fact, I'm not against anyone who uses the creative part of their brain to try and source out a means of livelihood in the circumstances our country is in. In fact, I'm probably not against the people who started the MLM schemes as well, as they at least, thought of something which might appeal to lazy people people who aren't too wlling to think of something themselves.

Like gbengaijot rightfully pointed out , a true entrepreneur is someone isn't thinking of where his today's meal would come from, but someone who is thinking of where his children and grandchildren meal would come from.

In my opinion, if entrepreneurship was made an organised disease in Nigeria - especially among young people - I can tell you that within the next 5 years, our gross income per head with triple. . The poor management of resources by the government is an excuse, but not a very good one for someone who really wants to succeed. I think with our population, we have Nigerians in every country in the world. We have bridges to innovations and ideas in other countries, and we have the internet for information. We have immediate access to how things should be and how things currently are. We may not have access to all the resources to make this change, but I tell you, we can work towards it. Like Gbengaijot said, the 30k he makes weekly is not the peak of his career, it's not the reason he's doing what he's doing - It's only a step on the ladder to where he is going.

@busaboy. Whay the  pessimism my brother? I googled it, and the true statistics state that 50% of start up businesses fail in their first 2 years. You made it sound like 90% are doomed for failure from Day 1. In the real world, what is failure? If I started out selling ice-blocks so I can open a boutique, and after 5 years I finally gathered enough money to open that boutique, and so I stopped selling ice-blocks would you look at that as failure? If you read the feature article of Nsikak Johnny on The Sun (http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/features/enterprise/2007/june/23/enterprise-23-06-2007-001.htm), he was once an Okada rider. After 2 years he sold his okada, and bought a bus. Therefore he was no longer in the Okada business. Would you consider him a failure, bearing inmind that he now runs a fleet of over 240 buses ?

We can  I think we are all blessed to be a part of this country. I think I have won the lottery of life, by being a Nigerian.

@ gbengaijot - You never dissappoint me . I couldn't have worded your post any better. LOL @ "Get Lost". In developed countries, these schemes might be excused, as there is more competition in business, more training involved, higher standards are expected, and most of all, there is very little left to develop, as they are already Developed countries. But the schemes are all the same.

I experienced a similar thing to the sucess digest story. Outside ASDA, there is always a brand new black shiny 2005 VW Bora parked. It has boldly written all over it "Would you like to make £500 per week? Visit www.x.com and I'll show you how!" On the other side : "Still working a 9 - 5? I made £500 a week from the comfort of my home". So this beautiful car is painted all over in bright yellow and green with these ugly adverts. I always wondered who owned the car, and how many other cars they own so much that they can afford to mess up such an expensive car with adverts. Day and night, it sits outside the supermarket. Until one day, I had to leave home early. I must have left at about 6.30 am and I had to walk by ASDA - Lo and behold, this car was being driven to the supermarket! I thought it had been parked there for weeks! Ah - no wonder it remains so shiny - someone takes it home and polishes it! I walked slowly so I could glance at its rich driver, who was making £500 a week, just sitting at home. . . He parked his car, and I braked my Leggedes, for better inspection. He then came out in full ASDA uniform. Hmm! So he's not working for himself afterall. . . He's an ASDA employee. . . Also, last night I was out till quite late and on my way home, I noticed the same car again, driving away (This was at about 11pm) but this time it had a "TAXI" sign above it. . . 
Re: Lazy People Sell Links, Foolish People Buy Them. by Hotone(m): 5:59pm On Nov 12, 2007
I don't mind you calling them lazy, I call it "bullshit". Funding people and businesses you know not who and where they come from. This resembles voluntary colonialism (like the COMMONWEALTH).
Re: Lazy People Sell Links, Foolish People Buy Them. by hbrednic: 10:05pm On Nov 12, 2007
@dippy
must you yab naija ladies to make your point?
abeg take am easy joo.
Re: Lazy People Sell Links, Foolish People Buy Them. by miquest: 10:18pm On Nov 12, 2007
This is real i'm getting paid where r my fellow nairalanders
click this link and invest now with as little as $15

http://www.minvestment.com/?r=miquest

if you have any question just ask,
or send me a mail miquest05@yahoo.com
with the topic MINVESTMENT
wink wink wink
Re: Lazy People Sell Links, Foolish People Buy Them. by seabiotics(m): 10:23pm On Nov 12, 2007
Naijacutee,

I applaud your resolve to sustain this rather interesting discourse. You certainly had me in stitches when I read the ASDA fable.  grin. However, in view of the example you provided, it would be erroneous to assume that there is a dearth of people who indeed have a legitimate and profitable home business.

Personally, there are several ways to accumulate wealth. In utilising one idea or method to achieve this is nothing new or to be scoffed at. For instance, without the short-sightness of IBM, Bill Gates would not have capitalised on the technological changes that they (IBM) missed at the start of the PC revolution. I used Gates as an example here, as he was a bright whizz kid, who despite not completing his studies at Harvard, went on to found Microsoft with Paul Allen. The question is, if Gates was bright or deemed a "donut", would he still have had the vision he had in the 70's of putting every PC in every home which is now a reality today? How many similar Bill Gates still languish in the technology field or in other fields? How many other American hustlers still do "runs" everyday?

The fact of the matter is that in any country or society, you'd find very successful enterpreneurs, in much the same way as you'd find hustlers. The American example was unique for a reason. For America to be where it is today required many years of governance under British rule, and years of development after the attainment of independence at the tail end of the 18th century. They even had to undergo one of the worst periods of their polity which was the "Great depression" era (1929-39). No sooner had they breathed a sigh of relief, they were also bombed by Japan in 1941. Today, we are all aware that America stands as one of the biggest players on the global scene.  It wasn't easy, but they got there, with I hasten to add, contribution from the slaves through organised labour. Great Britain, at the height of the Industrial revolution also attained its greatness from the contribution of slaves as well.

All these illustrations are evidence to show that nation building requires more than individual enterprise or the mobilisation of manpower to boost a country's GDP. Conversely it is made up of a structured social and political reengineering, of which Nigeria is still some light years away. No nation can aspire to be great if the proper mechanism to ensure its greatness is amiss (i.e. lack of ethics, integrity, respect for the law and rules, savings and investment, responsibility, and above all, time management).

Evidently, some if not all the afore mentioned is missing in Nigeria. Admittedly I will be wrong to discount the notion that Nigeria is blessed with resources and equally awash with talented professionals at home and in the Diaspora. But the question you conveniently ignored in my earlier post is how has Nigeria accounted for the billions of dollars accrued from oil over the years? What has really contributed to the brain drain in Nigeria? Is there an end in sight? Where are the basic infrastructures needed to run a successful and thriving business? (i.e. electricity, roads, etc).

And instead of working towards a pragmatic solution to the underlying problems besetting the economic and social polity of Nigeria, we have lurking furtively in the background, some political scoundrels who will do anything to sabotage any advancement either at state or federal level. Little surprise that one of the major reasons why Nigeria is still progressively backgward is because of selfish, corrupt and inept officials who would rather maintain the original status quo for self aggrandizement.

So, in the main, can you honestly afford to point an accusing finger at someone who is at least trying to survive and bid farewell to a lacklustre job he/she despises by investing in a networking business? I am not overly concerned about the fact that they invested in an MLM business (not all are scams and not all involves "money" as a product). It is what they have done with their returns on invesment that intrigues me.

In any case, the stage is set for anyone to dream big and have a million and one ideas to implement in Nigeria. (Yes, we can be original and innovative. Nigerians are not averse to being rich by any means necessary - the same is obtainable worldwide - albeit it would be morally edifying if the riches were through legitimate means). However, once you are able to manouvre through the bottleneck of redtape, polliticking, spurn the sexual overtures (regardless of whether you are male or female) of someone leading you to "Mr Big Gun" or "Mr Big Gun" himself to invest in your project, the world is your oyster if things go as planned.
Re: Lazy People Sell Links, Foolish People Buy Them. by naijacutee(f): 11:10pm On Nov 14, 2007
miquest:

This is real i'm getting paid where r my fellow nairalanders
click this link and invest now with as little as $15

http://www.minvestment.com/?r=miquest

if you have any question just ask,
or send me a mail miquest05@yahoo.com
with the topic MINVESTMENT
wink wink wink

I rest my case.
Re: Lazy People Sell Links, Foolish People Buy Them. by Harlex(m): 1:10am On Nov 15, 2007
MR Naijacutee, i really learn something from your post, its quite intresting, whichever way, i think the topic was a bit too harsh. Just think of it, why do you have to codemn a crime free job, do you know millions of people living in UK&USA make huge money from this business you've just condemn. You should have at least know that is it beter than becoming a Yohoo yahoo. Really it is in this part of the world that we believe we must labour very hard before we make earns meet, which is a wrong idea to carry about. We should be talking about ideas over here, not condemning someone you can't offer anything. If you think the business is for Lazy People & Foolish People, then i will beg you to please post your ideas on how to make Lazy and Foolish people usefull ones.
Re: Lazy People Sell Links, Foolish People Buy Them. by naijacutee(f): 10:30am On Nov 15, 2007
Sorry Harlex, If my post sounded too harsh, but I don't know how else to describe the idea of making "fast/easy money", without using the word "laziness". It's true that things are hard in Nigeria, and one must struggle to survive. It's also true that these are "less criminal" (if there is such a word) than Yahoo Yahoo. But all I'm saying is that we will never move forward in Nigeria until we start to think a little bit further than where our next meal will come from. Food is important, but even more important is securing a future which one can depend on, wih the interest of the country at heart.
Re: Lazy People Sell Links, Foolish People Buy Them. by seabiotics(m): 12:11pm On Nov 15, 2007
Naijacutee,

I know you bode well for the future of Nigeria. But do you know the art of "thinking" is a diffucult mental process for everyone? You need to answer a few ques, name one learned Nigerian who hasn't come up with a multitude of solutions to rid Nigeria of the mess we are in right now? This has come in the form of speeches, whitepapers, blueprints, etc What came out of it?

Also, you have again skipped this important question before you can assuredly state that you have rested your case. I will quote the question again verbatim.

"Rather than dwell on the demerits of MLM, perhaps you need to take a cursory look at our beleaguared economy over the years, and ask this perennial question: Where does all the huge millions that an oil rich country like Nigeria make a day disappear to?"

A counsel does not arrive at a conclusion until they have thoroughly weighed up the pros and cons of a case before they do so.
Re: Lazy People Sell Links, Foolish People Buy Them. by miquest: 12:20pm On Nov 15, 2007
visit this site
money is free all you have to do is work for it
you are not paying for anything they are paying you.
try it now

http://mypaidsites..com/
Re: Lazy People Sell Links, Foolish People Buy Them. by slim49z(m): 1:12pm On Nov 15, 2007
@ Naijacutie,

"Rather than dwell on the demerits of MLM, perhaps you need to take a cursory look at our beleaguared economy over the years, and ask this perennial question: Where does all the huge millions that an oil rich country like Nigeria make a day disappear to?"

I'm still waiting for you to answer that question.

Talking about doing something positively to make Nigeria a great Country. Do you know how many people that has done alot for this Country and where never considered at all? angry

I think we need the diving intervention of God to make this country worth while for every citizen.

Slim.
Re: Lazy People Sell Links, Foolish People Buy Them. by mastro: 2:10pm On Nov 15, 2007
Consider this another vote for the truth in " Lazy People Sell Links, Foolish People Buy Them." it never ceases to amaze me how truly gullible some people are , Click here make millions!!!!!, my brother-in-laws, 2nd cousins’ half-sister made billions doing it.

I repeat any fool who thinks that by paying some person $10 they will magically make $1000's deserves to be parted with their money, I only wish they wouldn’t clutter up this board.

oh and the correct name is not multilevel marketing it is "pyramid scheme" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyramid_scheme The distinguishing feature of these schemes is the fact that the product or service being sold has little to no intrinsic value of its own or is sold at a price out of line with its fair market value.

Though I don't know why I am bothering, there is one sucker born everyday
Re: Lazy People Sell Links, Foolish People Buy Them. by naijacutee(f): 2:21pm On Nov 15, 2007
slim49z:

@ Naijacutie,

I'm still waiting for you to answer that question.

Everyone knows we are an oil-rich country, and by all rights, we should be one of the richest cuntries in Africa in terms of revenue. We all know that. We've all been taught, right from primary school that our Nigerian soil abounds with natural resources. That is true. . However, the reality of the situation is that because of our corrupt leaders, We are not living up to expectation. The selfish and senseless leaders who have immediate access to our resources embezzle the money and hide in countries where they think it is worth investing. They do not think that our own land, or even people are worth investing in. We are at their mercy. It is all true.

However, there are 2 ways of looking at it. We can either get discouraged and say : "People have invested in this country/sacrificed a lot for this country before, and nothing came out of it." We can therefore keep away and seek our interests alone. Or we can think " If this country has such resources, that means there are wealthy people in this country - They exist somewhere. Therefore if I offer certain goods/services in this country, they will thrive because there are people who can afford them - I get my share of the "oil money", they get my services and everyone is happy.
Re: Lazy People Sell Links, Foolish People Buy Them. by miquest: 2:29pm On Nov 15, 2007
I hope thats what you are doing my dear cause to be thruthful
the sooner people begin to realize that this is the computer age where everything has gone cyber
the better for them i think there's money to be made everywhere not just going about marketing something
everyone makes money from the best way they can, the only thing i know is that fraudsters have spoilt everything
and lets be truthful here, the fraudsters even used to walk up to people to scam them before computers came into being
if people are making money from those pyramids scheme and some are loosing thats the way life was programmed nothing you do is safe even our money in banks so my dear no grudge or nuttin just let people make money out of their own beliefs and make yours the best way you can.

click here to see how i make mine, i'm not complaining cause its real,

www.mypaidsites..com

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Do I Receive Money Through Paypal? / Read How Much Money Do Bloggers Make? / Python Vs Php

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 176
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.