Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,314 members, 7,881,150 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 01:28 PM

Commentary: Lessons Of The Travon Martin Case - For Nigerians - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Commentary: Lessons Of The Travon Martin Case - For Nigerians (1277 Views)

Nigerians React To Martin Onovo's Interview On Channels Today - Video / Martin Patience Joins Nigerian Soldiers In The Combat Region In The North(pics) / Martin Luther Agwai's Speech At Obasanjo's Birthday That Made Him Lose His Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Commentary: Lessons Of The Travon Martin Case - For Nigerians by koruji(m): 2:23am On Apr 13, 2012

The arraignment of Mr. Zimmermann earlier today over the senseless murder of Travon Martin is a welcome relief, and a pointer that the course of justice has not been permanently perverted. It is indeed no cause for rejoicing since this was supposed to be the dictate of common sense, if the laws of the land and human empathy were at play, on that fateful night. The broad facts of the case are all too clear to any right-thinking onlooker. Mr. Zimmerman voluntarily called a police dispatcher, was adviced to stop following Travon, refused and eventually confronted the young man who made all efforts to avoid his eventual killer - including getting his girlfriend on the phone! For any investigator to take the word of a killer as the basis for his summary release was "unhearable" for me. It is no doubt a blight on the US system of justice but the events of today, though providing no relief for the parents of Travon, emphasize the basic goodness of the American system of justice. There are nut jobs, prejudiced citizens, and biased officials of the law no doubt, but the system as a whole continues to hold strong. As a citizen of a country where 19 innocent lives were recently snuffed out in the most gruesome manner under official arms, merely for daring to peacefully protest a pernicious & irresponsible fuel price hike, the irony of it all is not lost on me. Thousands of our citizens in Nigeria and other African countries are murdered senselessly by the "police force", sometimes for less than the equivalent of a bribe worth less than 25 cents!!! In fact, on hearing of the Travon case I wondered silently: "Are we in Nigeria now"? So the real lessons of this event for me is the urgent need to rid Nigeria and African nations of "beast-like" rulers and institutions that continue to hold our people in conditions worse than would be experienced in most foreign lands. I hope they are listening and acting rightly in this regard. RIP Travon.
Re: Commentary: Lessons Of The Travon Martin Case - For Nigerians by strangerf: 5:39am On Apr 13, 2012
I am sure that wasnt written by a Nigerian journalist. very well written.

I doubt it was written by a Nigerian, perhaps WS, maybe Achebe, but definitely not by a Nigerian based in Nigeria.
Re: Commentary: Lessons Of The Travon Martin Case - For Nigerians by Callotti: 5:43am On Apr 13, 2012
Lessons learned?
When it is your time to quench, you don go be dati o!
Some parents will bury their chidren, instead of the other way round!
The will of God na waya o!
Re: Commentary: Lessons Of The Travon Martin Case - For Nigerians by Brixtonyute(m): 5:47am On Apr 13, 2012
Who cares about a black kid in America? Kids die avoidable deaths in Nigeria everyday - but none of you wrote essays about them, and you're now trying to shove an American down our throats? There is no lesson to be learnt from his death - for Nigerians. You guys need to stop posting junks, and get real.
Re: Commentary: Lessons Of The Travon Martin Case - For Nigerians by Nobody: 6:03am On Apr 13, 2012
Brixtonyute: Who cares about a black kid in America? Kids die avoidable deaths in Nigeria everyday - but none of you wrote essays about them, and you're now trying to shove an American down our throats? There is no lesson to be learnt from his death - for Nigerians. You guys need to stop posting junks, and get real.

I thought you were a non-Nigerian?
All these Nigerian losers pretending to be God knows what on the WWW.

Anywaz, concerning your post. . . . Although Nigerians in diaspora should be concern about the level of unnaturally caused mortality in Nigeria, Nigerians in Nigerian should be the one making noise. Like if Nigerians at home are not making noise and standing up for themselves, how do you expect Nigerians in diaspora to talk?

Nigerians, Ghanians, Africans, Blacks etc should make as much noise for the injustice of Trayvon's case. It's simply the right thing to do. Before we too become a case of "They came for him, I did nothing till they came for me too". If the security and rights of blacks are being hindered, then blacks of every nationality ought to speak up. Lie down, do nothing and they'll take you for a doormat.

MLK said "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere". You see those people protesting and seeking for justice, they're later protecting the future of Nigerians and every other Africans in America too. So it only makes sense for Nigerians to be aware, to understand what is going on out there.
Re: Commentary: Lessons Of The Travon Martin Case - For Nigerians by Brixtonyute(m): 6:06am On Apr 13, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

Anywaz, concerning your post. . . . Although Nigerians in diaspora should be concern about the level of unnaturally caused mortality in Nigeria, Nigerians in Nigerian should be the one making noise. Like if Nigerians at home are not making noise and standing up for themselves, how do you expect Nigerians in diaspora to talk?

Nigerians, Ghanians, Africans, Blacks etc should make as much noise for the injustice of Trayvon's case. It's simply the right thing to do. Before we too become a case of "They came for him, I did nothing till they came for me too". If the security and rights of blacks are being hindered, then blacks of every nationality ought to speak up. Tie back too much and they'll take you for a doormat.

MLK said "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere". You see those people protesting and seeking for justice, they're later protecting the future of Nigerians and every other Africans in America too. So it only makes sense for Nigerians to be aware, to understand what is going on out there.

Who gives a phuck? I don't see AAs talking about the deaths America caused in Africa. When they start giving a phuck about Africa, then Africa would start giving a phuck about them, till then; let them bury the dead.
Re: Commentary: Lessons Of The Travon Martin Case - For Nigerians by Brixtonyute(m): 6:09am On Apr 13, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

Nigerians, Ghanians, Africans, Blacks etc should make as much noise for the injustice of Trayvon's case. It's simply the right thing to do. Before we too become a case of "They came for him, I did nothing till they came for me too". If the security and rights of blacks are being hindered, then blacks of every nationality ought to speak up. Lie down, do nothing and they'll take you for a doormat.

Lonely and spiteful bytch, I'll e-smack your fugly face, if you don't tone down how you chat to me. I don't give a phuck about no Travvon, jump into the mississippi river if you don't like that. And my nationality is none of your business phucked faced slut, I'm entitled to my opinion; just as you're entitled to yours. Choke on a fat dyke, slut.
Re: Commentary: Lessons Of The Travon Martin Case - For Nigerians by Nobody: 6:16am On Apr 13, 2012
Brixtonyute:

Lonely and spiteful bytch, I'll e-smack your fugly face, if you don't tone down how you chat to me. I don't give a phuck about no Travvon, jump into the mississippi river if you don't like that. And my nationality is none of your business phucked faced slut, I'm entitled to my opinion; just as you're entitled to yours.
Brixtonyute:

Who gives a phuck? I don't see AAs talking about the deaths America caused in Africa. When they start giving a phuck about Africa, then Africa would start giving a phuck about them, till then; let them bury the dead.

I can tell that you're typing from Aba. That's why you're blissfully enjoying your ignorance.

No need to pretend that you're not Nigerian.
Re: Commentary: Lessons Of The Travon Martin Case - For Nigerians by Brixtonyute(m): 6:20am On Apr 13, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

I can tell that you're typing from Aba. That's why you're blissfully enjoying your ignorance.

No need to pretend that you're not Nigerian.

Bytch, are you for real? Don't talk to me anymore in this bytch. And my nationality is non of your darn business, phucked face having slut.
Re: Commentary: Lessons Of The Travon Martin Case - For Nigerians by Nobody: 6:22am On Apr 13, 2012
What a very deranged boy.
Re: Commentary: Lessons Of The Travon Martin Case - For Nigerians by koruji(m): 12:49pm On Apr 13, 2012
I am flattered and disappointed at the same time. Flattered because u mistook this commentary for one written by the likes of WS or Achebe! There is no greater complement. Disappointed that u were "sure" this was not written by a Nigerian.

The commentary was in fact written by me.

strangerf: I am sure that wasnt written by a Nigerian journalist. very well written.

I doubt it was written by a Nigerian, perhaps WS, maybe Achebe, but definitely not by a Nigerian based in Nigeria.
Re: Commentary: Lessons Of The Travon Martin Case - For Nigerians by koruji(m): 12:54pm On Apr 13, 2012
It is best to ignore fools like that - they are the reason African leaders are incapable of feeling any kind of shame for the atrocities they commit on the mother continent.

Ileke-IdI:
What a very deranged boy.

(1) (Reply)

2015: North’ll Not Back Southern Candidates —NGF / SMS Claims Fresh Fruits From The North Have Been Poisoned By Boko Haram. / The Shocking Truth About The Jos Violence

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.