Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,556 members, 7,881,885 topics. Date: Saturday, 06 July 2024 at 11:26 AM

The Purpose Of Flattery [in religion] - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Purpose Of Flattery [in religion] (717 Views)

7 Types Of People In RELIGION SECTION / The Goddess (female God) And Females In Religion / Why Do Atheists Come Here Since They Do Not Believe In Religion ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Purpose Of Flattery [in religion] by tpia5: 8:04pm On Apr 18, 2012
i notice a lot of people are very susceptible to flattery and being buttered up.

of course its important for self esteem [i suppose? ]

what's the balance between depending on flattery for self-validation, and maintaining a healthy self image without being anti-social or perceived as such [seems to be a fear common to many].
Re: The Purpose Of Flattery [in religion] by tpia5: 8:08pm On Apr 18, 2012
king Canute

Legend of the waves

King Canute is best remembered for the story of how he commanded the waves to go back in Bosham.

According to oral tradition, he grew tired of flattery by the locals. "You are the greatest man that ever lived," one would say. "O king, there can never be another as mighty as you," another would say. "Great Canute, you are the monarch of all, nothing in this world would dare to disobey you."

When one such flatterer said the king could command the obedience of the sea, the King proved him wrong by practical demonstration on the foreshore.

"Let all men know how empty and worthless is the power of kings. For there is none worthy of the name but God, whom heaven, earth and sea obey".

So spoke the King, seated on his throne with the waves lapping around his feet. "Go back, sea!" he commanded time and again, but the tide continued as expected. Canute put it to his courtiers that the sea was not obeying him and insisted they stay there until they admitted it.
Re: The Purpose Of Flattery [in religion] by tpia5: 8:09pm On Apr 18, 2012
thread is for religious section, and not applicable anywhere else.
Re: The Purpose Of Flattery [in religion] by tpia5: 8:11pm On Apr 18, 2012
songs of solomon 1:1
Re: The Purpose Of Flattery [in religion] by Jenwitemi(m): 9:52pm On Apr 18, 2012
And how does the christian god react to flatteries? Do you know? He does get tons and tons of flatteries 24/7 from Christians themselves.. You need to ask the christian god all those questions whenever you meet him.
tpia@:
i notice a lot of people are very susceptible to flattery and being buttered up.

of course its important for self esteem [i suppose? ]

what's the balance between depending on flattery for self-validation, and maintaining a healthy self image without being anti-social or perceived as such [seems to be a fear common to many].
Re: The Purpose Of Flattery [in religion] by Ptolomeus(m): 10:42pm On Apr 18, 2012
Having a strong power of self-criticism.
Re: The Purpose Of Flattery [in religion] by tpia5: 11:06pm On Apr 18, 2012
Jenwitemi: And how does the christian god react to flatteries? Do you know? He does get tons and tons of flatteries 24/7 from Christians themselves.. You need to ask the christian god all those questions whenever you meet him.

i think you can read?

i specifically mentioned PEOPLE in my first post.

please stay out of the topic if you have nothing to contribute.

jesoul kindly leave the thread open, thank you.

there is nothing to lock as of right now.

(1) (Reply)

Who Are The People Who Claim To Be Jews Who Are Living In Israel Now ? / The Consequences Of Rejecting God Part 1 / African North Korea' Jails Thousands Of Christians: 'renounce Your Faith Or ....

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.