Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,192,041 members, 7,946,548 topics. Date: Wednesday, 11 September 2024 at 08:36 PM

Arsenal Vs Chelsea (0 - 0) On 21st April 2012 - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Arsenal Vs Chelsea (0 - 0) On 21st April 2012 (15057 Views)

Poll: Who Wins This Match?

Arsenal: 42% (51 votes)
Chelsea: 47% (56 votes)
Draw: 10% (12 votes)
This poll has ended

Real Madrid Vs Bayern Munich (2 - 1 ) On 25th April 2012 / UCL: Barcelona Vs Chelsea (2 - 2) On 24th April 2012 / Barcelona Vs Real Madrid (1 - 2) On 21st April 2012 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Arsenal Vs Chelsea (0 - 0) On 21st April 2012 by mukina2: 8:23pm On Apr 19, 2012
Can a London derby really be a comedown for Chelsea? Victory over Arsenal would confirm one of the best weeks in Chelsea's history, yet still leave work to be done for Roberto Di Matteo, a man in danger of being an even more beloved stopgap Blues boss than Guus Hiddink.

Liverpool await at Wembley on May 5, so too a wounded Barcelona at the Camp Nou, but the game with Arsenal is a vital fixture in the race for Champions League qualification. Of course, Chelsea may not even require it, should they negotiate the small matter of Tuesday night in Catalonia and go on to claim victory in Munich against either Bayern or Real Madrid. All quite simple, surely.

So finishing fourth becomes a safety net for Chelsea, while Arsenal's grip on third is rather looser than was expected a week ago. And while internecine rivalries will have Arsenal, Tottenham Hotspur and Newcastle United all hoping Chelsea fail to win the Champions League, they have a more practical reason. Should Chelsea win the whole caboodle and finish fifth, any race for fourth is rendered moot, as the Europa League beckons.

Of the two, Arsenal should go into the match feeling fresher, though perhaps only in the physical sense. Beating Barcelona can only lift a mental state as compared to losing at home to Wigan. Arsenal, often painted by their more fanciful fans as a Barcelona-lite, can draw comparisons with their Catalan brethren in that a supposedly inferior team frustrated them, and managed the game away from them.

The comparisons can stop there, though members of both the Barcelona and Arsenal camps offered similar post-match complaints over their opponents' refusal to let them win by opening up. In fact, Wigan opened up Arsenal with ease in the first ten minutes at the Emirates, in the best attacking play of the entire match. While Chelsea scored with their only true attempt on goal, their heroic rearguard efforts against Barcelona merited their wafer-thin lead.

Di Matteo will likely rest some of his midweek marvels. Frank Lampard ran himself into submission to continue his late-season revival act, and though Didier Drogba bought himself plenty of resting time via a bravura display of midweek playacting and lying down, he ran hard all night. John Terry's fractured ribs, too, may not have taken much of a pummelling - not that he showed much sympathy for a fellow injury victim when grabbing Carles Puyol's wrist - but caution may preclude his involvement.

Arsene Wenger has no need to rest players. He has little else to aim for after a season of disappointment. The greatest achievement will be guiding his squad to a 15th straight Champions League campaign but the Wigan performance exposed the faultlines that a recent recovery have hidden. Until proven otherwise, the belief must remain that Arsenal usually crumble when the pressure is on.

Chelsea, meanwhile, under the leadership of a caretaker coach sacked by West Bromwich Albion just last year, are beginning to prove that they perform best of all when the pressure is on.

Arsenal player to watch: Aaron Ramsey. Mikel Arteta's season is now over after an ankle injury sustained against Wigan, while the end of Jack Wilshere's campaign is confirmed having never actually begun at all. Aaron Ramsey has few competitors for a midfield position but has hardly been in fantastic form. Worryingly, keen observers have noted that a fickle Emirates crowd are on the brink of giving him the Eboue/Arshavin treatment. Must do better, and quickly too.

Chelsea player to watch: Fernando Torres. Two influential performances in four days confirmed that Drogba is still the man for Chelsea's biggest occasions. It only adds to Torres' continuing status as the £50 million bauble without portfolio. Yet an even-handed assessment of Torres would point to the fact that of late he has been playing perhaps his best football in a Chelsea shirt. The workrate has been exemplary, the goal threat is almost returned, but it has not been enough to supplant Drogba in the big games. Tired Ivorian legs may allow him a chance here.

Key battle: Robin Van Persie v Gary Cahill. The double player of the year-elect cut a frustrated figure on Monday, even before Gary Caldwell baited him after the final whistle. The runs were not quite coming off and the shooting was awry. The goals have not been flying as they did throughout the winter. Indeed, that playground penalty against Wolves was the first strike for nearly a month. So after holding off Lionel Messi, this should be no problem at all for Cahill, who put in a tremendous shift against Barcelona. With Terry likely to rest those ribs, this is a chance to prove he is indeed the future.

Trivia: Arsene Wenger first faced Chelsea in the Premier League in April 1997 at Highbury and his team ran out 3-0 winners, with goals from Ian Wright, David Platt and Dennis Bergkamp. Roberto Di Matteo, who had arrived at Chelsea the previous summer, did not feature for the Blues.

Stats: Their last meeting finished 5-3, with a Robin Van Persie hat-trick handing Andre Villas-Boas - remember him? - the first home defeat of his Chelsea tenure. It was not to be his last.

Match
Re: Arsenal Vs Chelsea (0 - 0) On 21st April 2012 by 4reigningqueen: 9:57pm On Apr 19, 2012
ehen!so is there anybody betting against chelsea! Well mikel haters hope u re ready to blame him for any mistake that will be made by any black man on the pitch.chelsea all the way.
Re: Arsenal Vs Chelsea (0 - 0) On 21st April 2012 by Nobody: 10:01pm On Apr 19, 2012
Chelsea may have beating Tottenham and Barcelona in the FA cup and champions league semis in the space of three days, but I see them crumbling at the Emirate.
Re: Arsenal Vs Chelsea (0 - 0) On 21st April 2012 by mkpologwu(m): 10:05pm On Apr 19, 2012
Chesi should sack that Romanus Ibrahimovic if they wanted to beating Asina! That man playing out off possession!
Re: Arsenal Vs Chelsea (0 - 0) On 21st April 2012 by OYINBOGOJU(m): 10:15pm On Apr 19, 2012
I will stick to my Guns while we showed them what it means to play beautiful football,little offensive and great goals
Go on gunners
Re: Arsenal Vs Chelsea (0 - 0) On 21st April 2012 by Nobody: 10:19pm On Apr 19, 2012
Mukina, kai. D nightmare of us beating ur team at home dey catch u abi? Atleast na tomorow u suppose put this tin 4 frontpage. Well since you are anxious, we are beating arse-anal by 2 goals to nothing. Up chelsea
Re: Arsenal Vs Chelsea (0 - 0) On 21st April 2012 by Nobody: 10:31pm On Apr 19, 2012
May the better side win,though Chelsea have their hands full after the exertions of facing Tottenham,Barcelona and now Arsenal and with Barcelona still to come next week.I do not envy them at all.
Re: Arsenal Vs Chelsea (0 - 0) On 21st April 2012 by fredoooooo: 10:49pm On Apr 19, 2012
saturday na big day o ...arsenal . chelsea afternoon , elclassico in the evening
Re: Arsenal Vs Chelsea (0 - 0) On 21st April 2012 by MeGaStReEt: 10:57pm On Apr 19, 2012
Sorry Arsenal. We dey vex this period, even Barca couldn't stop us.

Arsenal 1 - 2 Chelsea (Thats if DD no starts)

If DD start;

Arsenal 1 - 4 Chelsea (Fortunately for Arsenal DD will not start)
Re: Arsenal Vs Chelsea (0 - 0) On 21st April 2012 by exposingsnakes: 11:14pm On Apr 19, 2012
everything is wrong with these churches [even celestial churches], OR AT LEAST MANY OF THE MERMBERS WHO CLAIM TO BE FOLLOWERS OF CHRIST. The men are nasty dogs..............they cheat on their wives and play with the emotions of unsuspecting young girls/adults. I came across a video of a man who we will call "Mark". That's the name he gave me. He told me a lot of things which i found suspicious. Fortunately for me i was told the truth by a guy who saw me with him. This guy [mark]claimed to be a church priest at the Imole Ayo parish. Beware ladies and if he is married [i feel so bad for his poor wife). There are some things about this church that i am nervous to share but ladies if you need some conformation email me at exposingsnakes@hotmail.ca. for your benefit the man i am talking about is in this video at 4min43sec...........BEWARE!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QN_Wrr0igTQ&feature=plcp&context=C4ea5430VDvjVQa1PpcFOwSlpnK4Imo-R1pkmkOpTC4Y9nOS-dRaM%3D
Re: Arsenal Vs Chelsea (0 - 0) On 21st April 2012 by sanchez4eva: 11:29pm On Apr 19, 2012
Lemme giv u guys d low down....Arsenal wld hav bn d best team In d premier league if not for our coach(Wenger) who has a phD in Economics....any game dat Ramsey plays in is already 60% lost b4 d match starts because d guy is tryin to find his form..dis is a critical period and in critical times u cannot be tryin out experiments..Chelsea hav d confidence and momentum and if they start with Drogba they may likely win..so d truth is if Wenger starts d first team (witout Santos,Benayoun and Ramsey) Arsenal wld win but if not τ̲̅ђε̲̣̣̣̥ game is For Chelsea....
Re: Arsenal Vs Chelsea (0 - 0) On 21st April 2012 by asoebi(m): 11:31pm On Apr 19, 2012
simply because they managed to beat barca does not guarantee their win over arsenal, so i forsee victory for arsenal.
Re: Arsenal Vs Chelsea (0 - 0) On 21st April 2012 by mizne1: 11:35pm On Apr 19, 2012
aso ebi: simply because they managed to beat barca does not guarantee their win over arsenal, so i forsee victory for arsenal.
Same feeling
Same feeling [img]http://www.spgames.info/g.gif[/img]
Re: Arsenal Vs Chelsea (0 - 0) On 21st April 2012 by coolguy2002: 12:53am On Apr 20, 2012
hmmm
Re: Arsenal Vs Chelsea (0 - 0) On 21st April 2012 by HighChief4(m): 1:55am On Apr 20, 2012
Arsenal will be drubbed, thats for sure. Arsenal 1-4 Chelsea
Re: Arsenal Vs Chelsea (0 - 0) On 21st April 2012 by KayDee4: 2:11am On Apr 20, 2012
Arsenal will massacre Chelsea and that will mark the downward turning point for Chelsea's season; to be followed by another brutality @ the Nou Camp and finishing the season on 6th position. grin grin grin
Re: Arsenal Vs Chelsea (0 - 0) On 21st April 2012 by MeGaStReEt: 3:26am On Apr 20, 2012
exposingsnakes: everything is wrong with these churches [even celestial churches], OR AT LEAST MANY OF THE MERMBERS WHO CLAIM TO BE FOLLOWERS OF CHRIST. The men are nasty dogs..............they cheat on their wives and play with the emotions of unsuspecting young girls/adults. I came across a video of a man who we will call "Mark". That's the name he gave me. He told me a lot of things which i found suspicious. Fortunately for me i was told the truth by a guy who saw me with him. This guy [mark]claimed to be a church priest at the Imole Ayo parish. Beware ladies and if he is married [i feel so bad for his poor wife). There are some things about this church that i am nervous to share but ladies if you need some conformation email me at exposingsnakes@hotmail.ca. for your benefit the man i am talking about is in this video at 4min43sec...........BEWARE!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QN_Wrr0igTQ&feature=plcp&context=C4ea5430VDvjVQa1PpcFOwSlpnK4Imo-R1pkmkOpTC4Y9nOS-dRaM%3D

Bros trailer match brake for your brain Abi make dem give you torchlight
Re: Arsenal Vs Chelsea (0 - 0) On 21st April 2012 by yokiti: 3:42am On Apr 20, 2012
GO GUNNERS!!! We can come out victorious if the right players are selected to play our North London rivals. Good luck Arsenal!
Re: Arsenal Vs Chelsea (0 - 0) On 21st April 2012 by tothemax86: 5:27am On Apr 20, 2012
Chelsea for the champions league win!!!
Re: Arsenal Vs Chelsea (0 - 0) On 21st April 2012 by Otses(f): 6:13am On Apr 20, 2012
It won't be an easy match, Arsenal will play at their hrt out because a lot is at stake here,losing will mean no more 3rd spot,while Chelsea will want to prove that their win over Bracelona was not a fluke. If Wenger can pick the right team,of course we will carry the day,we have done it before. But I fear the inclusion of Ramsey,so many things goes wrong when he is on the feild.
Re: Arsenal Vs Chelsea (0 - 0) On 21st April 2012 by scopusng(m): 6:46am On Apr 20, 2012
Aesenal will need to bring morka form for drogba.
Re: Arsenal Vs Chelsea (0 - 0) On 21st April 2012 by winioluwa: 6:54am On Apr 20, 2012
The match will be a tough one but if care is not taking Arsenal might carry the day.
Re: Arsenal Vs Chelsea (0 - 0) On 21st April 2012 by oluoma1: 7:11am On Apr 20, 2012
No too much talk; Arsenal 3, chelsea 1
Re: Arsenal Vs Chelsea (0 - 0) On 21st April 2012 by Nobody: 7:42am On Apr 20, 2012
it will be so exciting mehn..
Re: Arsenal Vs Chelsea (0 - 0) On 21st April 2012 by nairakobo1: 7:50am On Apr 20, 2012
Kay-Dee:
Arsenal will massacre Chelsea and that will mark the downward turning point for Chelsea's season; to be followed by another brutality @ the Nou Camp and finishing the season on 6th position. grin grin grin
you can be best described as a saddist if that's your dream. Perhaps, you were one of those who could'nt sleep on the night chelsea galantly held the world acclaimed best club to a 1-0 win after their 5-1 drubbing of london rivals; tottenham. Well, my friend, 90 mins says it all. Your beloved club may be better than chelsea but they have to play for you to jump to conclussions so be careful what you wish for
Re: Arsenal Vs Chelsea (0 - 0) On 21st April 2012 by nairakobo1: 8:07am On Apr 20, 2012
High_Chief: Arsenal will be drubbed, thats for sure. Arsenal 1-4 Chelsea
chif chif i am feeling you o, but let's wait till after 90 mins of the match. I also wish chelsea wins the match to keep their next season's champions league qualification much more alive
Re: Arsenal Vs Chelsea (0 - 0) On 21st April 2012 by nomshu(m): 8:28am On Apr 20, 2012
Am so sorry chelsea cos arsenal has the hangover of the defeat they suffered on wigan hands. The annoyance will be too much such that they will whitewash chelsea 5-1. up gooners
Re: Arsenal Vs Chelsea (0 - 0) On 21st April 2012 by chelseabmw(m): 8:43am On Apr 20, 2012
ALL THIS BARCELONA/ARSENAL FANS HAVE STARTED AGAIN OOOOO

SEE DEM RUNNING THEIR MOUTH BEFORE THE GAME

WHEN WE WIN THE GAME THEY WILL COME UP WITH UEFALONA'S GAME ON TUESDAY

I JUST PRAY ALL THIS SAME PEOPLE DON'T TURN VIEWERS OF THIS THREAD COME SATURDAY
Re: Arsenal Vs Chelsea (0 - 0) On 21st April 2012 by chelseabmw(m): 8:46am On Apr 20, 2012
oluoma1: No too much talk; Arsenal 3, chelsea 1

Hope you will be here tomorrow to defend you scoreline? undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Liverpool Vs Aston Villa 2 - 1 On 10th April 2021 / Manchester United Vs Liverpool (2 - 1) On Jan 13 2012 / Liverpool Vs Wolverhampton Wanderers (2 - 0) On 12th May 2019

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.