Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,116 members, 7,977,219 topics. Date: Wednesday, 16 October 2024 at 10:34 PM

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (8941) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 (11315548 Views)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Pride Of London / Offical Bayern Munich Fan Thread: 6x Champions Of Europe / Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8938) (8939) (8940) (8941) (8942) (8943) (8944) ... (20050) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by izzou(m): 8:45am On May 23, 2020
BlueRayDick:

Yes. He was killed in action in July 1967

Yes, by Nigerian soldiers. But he didn't die as a Biafran soldier

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by BlueRayDick: 8:51am On May 23, 2020
izzou:

Yes, by Nigerian soldiers. But he didn't die as a Biafran soldier

Baba I'm only relaying what I read in books. He was killed in ambush like Afrodoc rightly stated above.

It was only after the war he was given the full military burial stated in that screenshot u posted.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Ibime(m): 8:51am On May 23, 2020
afrodoc2:

Yup. He died in an ambush along with Ojukwu’s brother Tom Biggar.

Ojukwu brother name dey always make me laugh
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by izzou(m): 8:56am On May 23, 2020
BlueRayDick:

Baba I'm only relaying what I read in books. He was killed in ambush like Afrodoc rightly stated above.

It was only after the war he was given the full military burial stated in that screenshot u posted.

Nobody's saying you're wrong.

He was killed in Nsukka by Nigerian soldiers,but he did not die as a Biafran soldier

Or do you have any source that labelled him as one? I'd love to learn
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by afrodoc2: 8:56am On May 23, 2020
Ibime:

Ojukwu brother name dey always make me laugh

If not that i read it in Ojukwu’s book I would have doubted. Name sounds somehow. Lol.

I read somewhere that they were half-brothers and shared the same mother and different fathers but i don’t know how true that is.

Ojukwu mentioned the deaths in his book, I believe in the portion in which he was trying to dispel the belief that he and Nzeogwu were never in good terms.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by afrodoc2: 9:01am On May 23, 2020
izzou:

He was killed in Nsukka by Nigerian soldiers,but he did not die as a Biafran soldier

He was living in Biafran territory under the Biafran government and was from there leading small groups of Biafran soldiers to attack Federal soldiers.

He died during one of such missions against Federal troops in the company of his fellow Biafrans.

No labels are necessary.

1 Like

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by BlueRayDick: 9:07am On May 23, 2020
izzou:

https://thenationonlineng.net/nzeogwu-hero-or-villain

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Ibime(m): 9:24am On May 23, 2020
This is the most comprehensive retrospective study on Chloroquine so far.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31180-6/fulltext

It be like say I go reconsider membership of team Chloroquine, although one counterargument is that all these patients where hospitalised, mostly in the West which indicates advanced viral replication as they only hospitalise you in the West when water done pass Garri. Chloroquine advocates always argue it is too late at this stage. However the study also included a key control which is that patients had to have had Chloroquine within 2 days of Covid diagnosis. So far no study has set such criteria which favours the "taking Chloroquine early" argument, however there is still wiggle room for Chloroquine advocates to argue that Hospitalisation itself is an indicator of advanced disease in the West, as they will not admit you till things done dey red.

Of 96,000 patients analysed in hospitals, 15,000 patients were given Chloroquine sometimes in combination with a macrolide like azimothrycin. Patients treated more than 2 days after diagnosis were excluded as were patients on ventilators.

The death rates of the treated groups were: hydroxychloroquine 18%; chloroquine 16.4%; control group 9%. Those treated with hydroxychloroquine or chloroquine in combination with antibiotics had an even higher death rate.

Age/Race/Sex/Co-morbidities were fairly evernly spread between the Chloroquine groups and Control Groups.

The only argument left for team Chloroquine is to focus on the Hospitalisation argument that the virus has already proliferated by hospitalisation stage, also you have time lag between Hospitalisation and diagnosis turnaround time plus up to 2 days allowed by the study meaning these patients could be anything from 10-30 days into infection by the time Chloroquine was prescribed. There may also be Doctor bias in the Chloroquine group with the more sicker patients being prescribed Chloroquine in comparison to the control group.

Afrodoc2, TheCassanova, Victornezzar, do you think this argument may still be valid for Team Chloroquine? Also how about other Zinc Ionophores such as Quercetin etc? Any benefit in that?

1 Like

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by odizeey(m): 9:26am On May 23, 2020
E don dey happen o.

Person wen bring talk don go sleep o. Sow seed of discord.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Ibime(m): 9:31am On May 23, 2020
afrodoc2:

If not that i read it in Ojukwu’s book I would have doubted. Name sounds somehow. Lol.

I read somewhere that they were half-brothers and shared the same mother and different fathers but i don’t know how true that is.

Ojukwu mentioned the deaths in his book, I believe in the portion in which he was trying to dispel the belief that he and Nzeogwu were never in good terms.

No, the Tom Biggar was a half-caste so it is likely say na Louis go done sire both of them, unless Ojukwu mama done run go meet white man at some stage after Ojukwu was born.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Ibime(m): 9:32am On May 23, 2020
odizeey:
E don dey happen o.

Person wen bring talk don go sleep o. Sow seed of discord.

No mind am. I no know why DonJ bring this kain civil war talk come here.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by afrodoc2: 9:36am On May 23, 2020
Ibime:

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31180-6/fulltext

It be like say I go reconsider membership of team Chloroquine, although one counterargument is that all these patients where hospitalised, mostly in the West which indicates advanced viral replication as they only hospitalise you in the West when water done pass Garri. Chloroquine advocates always argue it is too late at this stage. However the study also included a key control which is that patients had to have had Chloroquine within 2 days of Covid diagnosis. So far no study has set such criteria which favours the "taking Chloroquine early" argument, however there is still wiggle room for Chloroquine advocates to argue that Hospitalisation itself is an indicator of advanced disease in the West, as they will not admit you till things done dey red.

Of 96,000 patients analysed in hospitals, 15,000 patients were given Chloroquine sometimes in combination with a macrolide like azimothrycin. Patients treated more than 2 days after diagnosis were excluded as were patients on ventilators.

The death rates of the treated groups were: hydroxychloroquine 18%; chloroquine 16.4%; control group 9%. Those treated with hydroxychloroquine or chloroquine in combination with antibiotics had an even higher death rate.

Age/Race/Sex/Co-morbidities were fairly evernly spread between the Chloroquine groups and Control Groups.

The only argument left for team Chloroquine is to focus on the Hospitalisation argument that the virus has already proliferated by hospitalisation stage, also you have time lag between Hospitalisation and diagnosis turnaround time plus up to 2 days allowed by the study meaning these patients could be anything from 10-30 days into infection by the time Chloroquine was prescribed.

Afrodoc2, TheCassanova, Victornezzar, do you think this argument may still be valid for Team Chloroquine? Also how about other Zinc Ionophores such as Quercetin etc? Any benefit in that?

Well more information is needed.

Remember i was never convinced about this Chloroquine issue. The level of evidence was just too weak.

Anecdotal reports and Lab studies just don’t cut it in terms of driving a change in the management of a disease as major as this.

This study you quoted is better but until large randomized double-blind control studies or even a meta analysis of several such studies are done it would still be a gamble.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by afrodoc2: 9:38am On May 23, 2020
Ibime:

No, the Tom Biggar was a half-caste so it is likely say na Louis go done sire both of them, unless Ojukwu mama done run go meet white man at some stage after Ojukwu was born.

Yes I know he is half caste. I read that the mum divorced the dad and married a white guy.
Like I said it wasn’t a reliable source, so you might be right.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Ibime(m): 9:45am On May 23, 2020
afrodoc2:

Well more information is needed.

Remember i was never convinced about this Chloroquine issue. The level of evidence was just too weak.

Anecdotal reports and Lab studies just don’t cut it in terms of driving a change in the management of a disease as major as this.

This study you quoted is better but until large randomized double-blind control studies or even a meta analysis of several such studies are done it would still be a gamble.

I don't think there can be any practical study that would satisfy members of team Chloroquine cos that would require access to infected people at home with mild symptoms who have also been diagnosed. This is the most comprehensive study so far though. Although the African experience, particularly low mortality in the likes of Senegal who have an early Chloroquine deployment policy, although anecdotal is a decent argument in favour of Chloroquine.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by afrodoc2: 9:46am On May 23, 2020
Ibime:

Don Jazzy like fight pass anything. If you leave him alone he can argue with himself.

I had 2 close friends in Uni (1 Igbo, 1 Bini), and we were all history buffs.
We discussed everything from the Peloponnesian War to the Battle of Prokhorovka.
We pretty much left the Biafran war alone.

2 Likes

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by afrodoc2: 9:57am On May 23, 2020
Ibime:

I don't think there can be any practical study that would satisfy members of team Chloroquine cos that would require access to infected people at home with mild symptoms who have also been diagnosed. This is the most comprehensive study so far though. Although the African experience, particularly low mortality in the likes of Senegal who have an early Chloroquine deployment policy, although anecdotal is a decent argument in favour of Chloroquine.

Personally speaking i don’t think enough has been made of the effect of climate on transmission and viral replication.

There is a reason why the seasonal flu peaks during the colder months of the year.
This reason is likely not too far from the reason why the Northern Hemisphere bore the brunt of this epidemic.

Regarding the chloroquine therapy for mild symptoms. If it only works for people that have such mild symptoms that they don’t even know they are sick, of what use is it?

It has to work for people with clinically significant symptoms for the Risk/Benefit ratio to make sense.
From the info the pro-Chloroquine lobby has given so far the Number Needed to Treat (NNT) would be so high it might not make much sense to use the medication.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by BlueRayDick: 9:59am On May 23, 2020
afrodoc2:

Don Jazzy like fight pass anything. If you leave him alone h can argue with himself.

We discussed everything from the Peloponnesian War to the Battle of Prokhorovka.

grin

Good decision to leave the war alone. Even people that participated in the war gave different accounts that don't even in any way agree with each other.

Imagine Gowon claiming he released Awolowo and Ojukwu claiming same. Unfortunately the Awo himself was late and couldn't tell the two ex-warlords to keep his name out of their mouths.

Funny thing is someone sympathetic to Biafra course thinks Awo is a backstaber who was released by Ojukwu but turned back to join forced with Gowon; while fans of Gowon and one Nigeria thinks Awo was released by Gowon and his contribution to the war effort particularly allged advice to Gowon to starve Biafra of relief materials won the war for Gowon.

The war story is very sensitive

1 Like

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Victornezzar: 10:06am On May 23, 2020
Ibime:

The only argument left for team Chloroquine is to focus on the Hospitalisation argument that the virus has already proliferated by hospitalisation stage, also you have time lag between Hospitalisation and diagnosis turnaround time plus up to 2 days allowed by the study meaning these patients could be anything from 10-30 days into infection by the time Chloroquine was prescribed. There may also be Doctor bias in the Chloroquine group with the more sicker patients being prescribed Chloroquine in comparison to the control group.

Quercetin I know just weakens the virus

I've always had doubts about hydroxyl Chloroquine because of it's harsh effects.... I'm not even surprised with the death rates

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Ibime(m): 10:07am On May 23, 2020
larride:

Not federal funds, the money will be deducted from the State allocation.

The plan is to make them really independent in the true sense of it. At least with these move, we can begin to see State HoA actually doing their job and not being a lackey for state govenors.

This may be a bad move as most Local Government leaders are despots, most in the South-South are either militants or vicious thugs who got LGA Chairman role as their reward for delivering for the Governor. LGA Chairmen commit more abuses and there are no press controls on their actions, whereas a Governor has to manage press fallout from their actions.

Any further loosening of central command-and-control toward a democracy of thugs is to be discouraged. Democracy of thieves and thugs us the worst thing that can happen to a country. We already have too much Executive power in the hands of tinpot Governors. I have always maintained that FG does a much better job than State Govt and State Govt does a much better job than Local Govt. This is because FG is somewhat accountable to International bodies and International perception, while State bodies are somewhat accountable to National perception. For example you can never see FG not paying salaries for months on end unlike State Govt.

Local Govt own is to do anyhow, anyhow and no one will hold them to account. On NL front-page yesterday we saw a pastor being tortured on camera for criticising Local Government.

5 Likes

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by larride(m): 10:08am On May 23, 2020
BlueRayDick:

grin

Good decision to leave the war alone. Even people that participated in the war gave different accounts that don't even in any way agree with each other.

Imagine Gowon claiming he released Awolowo and Ojukwu claiming same. Unfortunately the Awo himself was late and couldn't tell the two ex-warlords to keep his name out of their mouths.

Funny thing is someone sympathetic to Biafra course thinks Awo is a backstaber who was released by Ojukwu but turned back to join forced with Gowon; while fans of Gowon and one Nigeria thinks Awo was released by Gowon and his contribution to the war effort particularly allged advice to Gowon to starve Biafra of relief materials won the war for Gowon.

The war story is very sensitive

It’s a very sensitive matter that shouldn’t have been brought here. angry
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by larride(m): 10:16am On May 23, 2020
Ibime:

This may be a bad move as most Local Government leaders are despots, most in the South-South are either militants or vicious thugs who got LGA Chairman role as their reward for delivering for the Governor. LGA Chairmen commit more abuses and there are no press controls on their actions, whereas a Governor has to manage press fallout from their actions.

Any further loosening of central command-and-control toward a democracy of thugs is to be discouraged. Democracy of thieves and thugs us the worst thing that can happen to a country. We already have too much Executive power in the hands of tinpot Governors. I have always maintained that FG does a much better job than State Govt and State Govt does a much better job than Local Govt. This is because FG is somewhat accountable to International bodies and International perception, while State bodies are somewhat accountable to National perception. For example you can never see FG not paying salaries for months on end unlike State Govt.

Local Govt own is to do anyhow, anyhow and no one will hold them to account. On NL front-page yesterday we saw a pastor being tortured on camera for criticising Local Government.

But the local government are closer to the people and if we get local government councils to work as they should, we will witness massive developmental improvement. There are lots of responsibilities that State Gov take on that are meant for the local government especially when it comes to constructing of inner roads, maintenance and repairs, primary health care centers and primary schools. Local government are meant to bring governance closer to the people.

I’m really hopeful that when the National Assembly rework the electoral reform bill, we will make headway in the way LG elections are conducted. The Supreme Court already ruled that State Gov has no power to remove elected local government chairmen and appoint caretaker committees. We just need to keep strengthening our institutions till we get it right.

Governance must be decentralized if we want rapid development.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Ibime(m): 10:19am On May 23, 2020
BlueRayDick:

I didn't bother to respond to Donjazet original post so as not to further Civil War debate on here.

Ojukwus assertion is false and actually gives insight into his militaristic thought process, and abrogation of powers he did not possess.

Awo was released by a Federal Prison Service by Federal Directive a good 6 months before even the Aburi Accord. A State Governor on whose territory that prisoner was held (by a Federal Agency) has nothing to do with that process unless he has already declared war against FG, which was not the case at the time. Ojukwu on the other hand as a State Governor has no power to release a Federal prisoner

The fact Ojukwu went to discuss partnership with Awo while held in his region in no way means he released Awo having been satisfied with Awos disposition. Holding Awo against Federal Directive would have involved launching an attack on the Prison Service and tantamount to declaration of war. It speaks to Ojukwus mentality and militaristic tendencies that he considered that Awo was ever within his power to grant clemency.

1 Like

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by odizeey(m): 10:23am On May 23, 2020
Ibime:

It's a very sensitive topic.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Nobody: 10:27am On May 23, 2020
I can never understand how I got banned from sport section.

Na Nihilist, Raumdeuter, Kopmoron and ogi and dodo fight but na me chop ban.

Na jeje I dey romance section dey find wife when Raumdeuter take style mention me come drag me here. Dude is just a bad influence.

3 Likes

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by donjazet(m): 10:27am On May 23, 2020
larride:

It’s a very sensitive matter that shouldn’t have been brought here. angry

afrodoc2:

Don Jazzy like fight pass anything. If you leave him alone he can argue with himself.

I have told you that my reason for bringing this topic here was to further learn history as none of us here were taught history in school.
Knowing the past is very vital in shaping the future as we try not to repeat same mistakes.

Yes as you can see so far, we have been perfectly civil in our discourse, nobody has insulted or disrespected the other despite having contrary opinions on this sensitive topic.

This thread has proven to be a community of intellectuals and we have learnt a lot from each other. If this group is so afraid that it cannot even discuss the matters of the war, the single most important historical period of our country, it reflects the mentality in our society that we are not ready to move forward together and that is pitiful.

12 Likes

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Thecassanova: 10:33am On May 23, 2020
Ibime:

More research needed, a colleague of mine is working on that day and night, but I promise you Chloroquine will not be the savior. Even the allergy reactions says something. Me I’ve been focusing on them ginger, honey, lemon, vitamin c (500mg), tangerine per day since covid19.

Me & few colleagues wrote a manuscript detailing the mechanism of action of some FDA approved repurposed drugs, most especially Remdesivir for the virus therapeutic management. I’d rather look inward to Remdesivir (& ritonavir) as it’s in phase 2 clinical trial, same with tocilizumab, both works to inhibit RNA Dep & interleukin-6 respectively. A critical stage that prevent the viral synthesis & decreases inflammation. Will share the link once published in few days.

13 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by larride(m): 10:37am On May 23, 2020
Thecassanova:

More research needed, a colleague of mine is working on that day and night, but I promise you Chloroquine will not be the savior. Even the allergy reactions says something. Me I’ve been focusing on them ginger, honey, lemon, vitamin c (500mg), tangerine per day since covid19.

Me & few colleagues wrote a manuscript detailing the mechanism of action of some FDA approved repurposed drugs, most especially Remdesivir for the virus therapeutic management. I’d rather look inward to Remdesivir (& ritonavir) as it’s in phase 2 clinical trial, same with tocilizumab, both works to inhibit RNA Dep & interleukin-6 respectively. A critical stage that prevent the viral synthesis & decreases inflammation. Will share the link once published in few days.

You are doing well.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Ibime(m): 10:38am On May 23, 2020
Thecassanova:

Oga talk better tin abeg. I read somewhere that that Remdesevir is apparently $1k per dose. If true, that is not a workable solution for 99% of the Worlds population.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by BlueRayDick: 10:41am On May 23, 2020
donjazet:

I have told you that my reason for bringing this topic here was to further learn history as none of us here were taught history in school.
Knowing the past is very vital in shaping the future as we try not to repeat same mistakes.

Yes as you can see so far, we have been perfectly civil in our discourse, nobody has insulted or disrespected the other despite having contrary opinions on this sensitive topic.

This thread has proven to be a community of intellectuals and we have learnt a lot from each other. If this group is so afraid that it cannot even discuss the matters of the war, the single most important historical period of our country, it reflects the mentality in our society that we are not ready to move forward together and that is pitiful.

Now this is so unnecessary.

Remember the other day when u opined the problem of Nigeria is majorly Religion/religious bigotry we told u that's not totally true because tribalism which was sowed since the 1966 coup is the major problem.

The main reason most people run away from discussing the war is because the war itself is not the main issue but circumstances/events that led to it. A military coup that had tribal coloration, counter coup, reprisal attacks etc.

Do u know that while Hausas were attacking people of Eastern origin in the north, easterners also killed people of Northern origin residing in the East?

The tribal sentiments that goes into telling these tales and how some people will not agree with others' account of history is why most people just let sleeping dogs lie and move on. Until every decision maker up there are ready to discuss the way forward, stuff like a group or tribe seceding will continue to be a dream labeled as treason

3 Likes

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Victornezzar: 10:51am On May 23, 2020
Assuming this Topic was in the Politics section

All those tribal lords would have turned it into an Afonja and IPOB war

1 Like

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by odizeey(m): 11:00am On May 23, 2020
You came here with your own solid opinion and made up mind and you say you want to learn.

Go youtube. Videos full there.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by donjazet(m): 11:17am On May 23, 2020
odizeey:
You came here with your own solid opinion and made up mind and you say you want to learn.
Go youtube. Videos full there.

yes I already had my opinion about it but that's not saying it cannot be bent or reshaped.
already I have gone to research the differences between decree8 and aburi accord which nihilist was talking about it and it further enlightened me. As I've said the aim is to learn from others here.

anyways I rest my case.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8938) (8939) (8940) (8941) (8942) (8943) (8944) ... (20050) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 7 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.