Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,180,847 members, 7,912,294 topics. Date: Tuesday, 06 August 2024 at 06:07 AM

Cost Of Making A Music Video? - TV/Movies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Cost Of Making A Music Video? (49823 Views)

‘ugliest Woman In The World’ Is Making A Movie’ / Picture Of A Ghost Making A Phone Call In A Nollywood Movie / Cost Of Buying Air Time For A TV Show? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Cost Of Making A Music Video? by Seun(m): 3:28pm On Nov 22, 2007
zPixel:
@Seun: What type of camera did you use for that picture? please give enough info.
A consumer DV camera, the Panasonic NV-GS500. After extracting the image, I denoised it with a very good spatio-temporal noise reduction plugin and adjusted the color and black levels.
Re: Cost Of Making A Music Video? by alisigwe(m): 6:25pm On Nov 22, 2007
THIS forum is very interesting,dudes i wonder if anybody ever watched gino's no be god?what type do you guys think was used to shoot that video,heard it;s going to win the best rap video on the upcoming video awards,can any hook me up with the dude that directed that video.
Re: Cost Of Making A Music Video? by imoh82: 10:28am On Nov 23, 2007
the funny thing is whatever you shoot on. you can edit it to look like something else. but in Nigeria people shoot in DV mode for broadcast but if you are looking at MTV base. shoot in HDV format. if you are looking to place your videos for downloads you may ave to downgrade the quality so it can be easily tranferrable. but honestly it's the creativity that counts people still shoot crap with 35mm.

@Iyeyemi. your music will determine your specific needs like cranes etc, etc. hey i could help you shoot a video if you want or recommend the best.

@Sauce Kid. your mixtape is the Bomb! let me shoot you one video. FREE!
Re: Cost Of Making A Music Video? by saucekid(m): 1:58pm On Nov 23, 2007
@ imoh,

let me get the single cooking***aiight?? cheesy cheesy cheesy

one love
Re: Cost Of Making A Music Video? by alisigwe(m): 11:05am On Nov 24, 2007
@ sauce,dude, i am just trying to say that i ain't felling that ya mixtape,i am kind of suggesting that maybe on ya nxt work,try to make sense,maybe its because it's a mixtape,but modo's mixtape makes a whole lot of sense to any listener.
nat dissing you if u're truly sauce.1
Re: Cost Of Making A Music Video? by saucekid(m): 6:35pm On Nov 24, 2007
@ alisigwe,

you've just been punked grin grin grin
Re: Cost Of Making A Music Video? by waltbanger: 12:10am On Nov 26, 2007
Cost of a DECENT video realistically is 200k upward. Anything less and you'll get a cheap ass looking video.
Cos of a HDV cam is on average 15k per day. (can get it for 10k if you know someone that knows someone)

There is no real reason to go shoot on 35mm. That's just for people who want to show off. But the joke is soon going to be on them. There's a digital camera that has just come out which top hollywood directors swear is as good if not better than film. And it's cheaper than the current HDV cam. I'm actually on the waiting list for one.

Top artist spend like 600k - 800k to shoot an MTV base quality video. Anything more and your just paying for a 'name' to direct you vid.
It's really who you know. if you know camera crew or directors you can get a better deal.

Best advice i can give you is keep your idea simple for the shoot and try and be as creative as possible when editing.
Re: Cost Of Making A Music Video? by cr8tivei: 11:51am On Nov 27, 2007
Music videos really the cost is determined by your concept and ur concept determines ur shot list which determines ur props location schedule from that u can derive the final cost and timing of your video . Dont go assuming theres a standard price for video making aint no such thing. i am talking from experience, cheers bruv
Re: Cost Of Making A Music Video? by krisbobo(m): 1:50pm On Nov 27, 2007
@Waltbanger, Cr8ive i

Word! Good advice. Couldnt put it better.
Re: Cost Of Making A Music Video? by reginol: 10:04am On Nov 30, 2007
i'm currntly working on a video, hope the lil advcie u guys have given will come in handy grin
Re: Cost Of Making A Music Video? by passionwit(m): 2:28am On Dec 03, 2007
I think I & I combination spent like 9,500 (nine thousand five hundred naira Only) for his Video,
Re: Cost Of Making A Music Video? by Seun(m): 3:21pm On Dec 04, 2007
"best gear for creating music videos" - http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=108819
Re: Cost Of Making A Music Video? by predator: 12:23am On Dec 05, 2007
[flash=200,200]http://[/flash][flash=200,200][/flash] grin grin grin lipsrsealed undecided cry cool
Re: Cost Of Making A Music Video? by Nobody: 12:49pm On Dec 05, 2007
if it's in naija, a camera fone and 2-3 gals wud do the trick. u won't spend more than 20,000 and you wud sell, believe me. wink wink
Re: Cost Of Making A Music Video? by folahann(m): 12:01pm On Dec 06, 2007
You can make things easier for yourself, google up
Re: Cost Of Making A Music Video? by powerofmap(m): 11:23pm On Dec 10, 2007
grin Hello People Sorry to disturb you guyz, do anyone knows how much Gino's No be God cost? Who produce the Video? I wana sponsor a video for an Artist and I just want to know peoples opinion about the work if its tight.
Re: Cost Of Making A Music Video? by Seun(m): 11:32pm On Dec 10, 2007
Alas, I'm not familiar with that video. Is it available somewhere on the net, by the way? Thanks!
Re: Cost Of Making A Music Video? by loxxy: 7:52pm On Feb 06, 2008
I am a film director, I shoot musical video on HDV Camera, also edit on HD editing suit. I can do a good music video for 100k live shot/chroma, anything less than that , count me out. Contact me on 08025912094.
Re: Cost Of Making A Music Video? by damseremie(m): 9:23pm On Feb 11, 2008
Okay heres my own 50 cents. Have worked on a number of video as E-mages Ent, an entertainment outfit handling film,music and video production from storyboard/scripting to directing to final output

Am more on the creative side than the tech side so a few tech details might be missing.

A Quality Music Video is determined by a number of things. But production wise, the major costs are cameras, lighting,location,directors fees and most important post-production and editing.
Camera
Ideal:Shoot on 35mm film

[i]Reality:[/i]Most Music Video and TV productions are shot on HDV cameras in DV format(not even the HDV format eventually) since finallyevetually thats typically the final output mode around here.Hence a good HDV camera should do the trick.

Cost of hiring HDV camera: Approximately N15,000 a day.Typically you will want to hire 2 cameras.

The location of your video as determined by the script or storyboard also determines part of the cost. If for example you need to shoot in a club with drinks, you will have to pay for the venue which greatly varies, i have been on a loaction shoot which cost N6000 and another which cost N98000. So this cost greatly varies.

Lighting/Cranes/Tripods
Typically these are available for hire by the same people who hire out the cameras. You will probably need 2 or 3 red heads at least. A crane in nice but optional if u are saving costs. The tripod stands are usually provided with the cameras.
Average Cost of Lighting+Tripods = N20,000

Script/Storyboards
A script is a written document explaining and defining all the shots in a production, a storyboard is the same but it is usually drawn out on paper.Here in Nigeria, it is usually done by the director, in collab with the editor and post-production people as well as the music artiste. Hence the cost is usually tied in with the Directors fee

Directing:
This varies depending on the director.My outfit provides quality directors who charge between N35000 and N60000. Don't forget that this also includes scripting or storyboarding.

Editing/Post Production:

This is obviously the biggest cost of producing a music video .This is where the magic is done. Composition, Computer Graphics, Color Grading, Basic and Advanced Editing.The list is endless. The important thing is getting someone really good at it. Am sorry to say that we don't have so many hands doing this kind of thing in Naija. The cost varies depending on the work involved E.G while a "chroma" video is easier to shoot ( using either a plain blue or green background), Its usually harder and takes longer to edit than a video shot with live scenes. At E-mages, the cost of post production ranges between N70,000 and N200,00. It all depends on how mush work needs to be done.

thats my 50 cents. If i forgot anything,ill post up later, feel free to buzz me with any questions.
SauceKid that includes u.
damseremie@yahoo.com

By the way, below are links to 2 video i worked on

Rise Again by Sheun: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcUoj-S8iio

Stand by Sheun: http://www.youtube.com/v/PxNcVVKdL0c

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Making A Music Video? by yemo90(m): 6:30pm On Mar 26, 2008
Make a standard music video, no bullshit! Get aired on Africas biggest music stations channel O & mtv base.

chroma keying, sfx plus a script that rivals foreign counterparts.

Re: Cost Of Making A Music Video? by stave9ja(m): 12:54pm On Mar 27, 2008
a friend just did his video for 400k simple
Re: Cost Of Making A Music Video? by yemo90(m): 7:12am On Mar 28, 2008
@stave9ja: who produced your friends music video & whats the track title?
Re: Cost Of Making A Music Video? by chasong(m): 12:29pm On Feb 18, 2009
cameras are JUST a starting point

trust me.

better camera, better images,

But CONCEPT, LIGHTING AND POST PRODUCTION are huge variables
Re: Cost Of Making A Music Video? by DaDizzul: 1:29pm On Aug 27, 2010
Pls between the Sony HD Z series (pd 177, z1,z5,z7) and a canon 7D HD, which is better? I am planing on buying one. Thanks
Re: Cost Of Making A Music Video? by Somzie(m): 6:56am On Aug 01, 2011
Seun, Panache and the well-detailed guy from E sumn images have all spoken right. need i say more.

As we all know, the price of shooting these music videos cost a whole lot and thank heavens, there's an American/British company coming soon this year to Lagos to be situated in Victoria Island and Ikoyi and they shoot international standard movie trailers (some of their trailers include From Paris with Love - John Travolta, Fight Club - Brad Pitt), Music Videos, Commercials, DVD Menu Designs and so on.

The greatest thing is, to promote their company in the 1st month, they are offering to shoot and edit their first 5 music videos for 75,000 each i.e for the 1st five music vid customers. The company is tri-lingual namely in English, Spanish and Portuguese. So not only do you get to garner and international, well-qualified and finessed hands on your project, you get to work with people who know what they are doing. For those who're interested Enlist your names on here and you'll be contacted.
Re: Cost Of Making A Music Video? by datcater: 5:38pm On Jan 17, 2012
I need a music video director , i want to shoot my music video soon and i need someone who is ready to hit stardom like me, if you are interested ls call 07063785328 or 08086149493, pls call asap
Re: Cost Of Making A Music Video? by Somzie(m): 1:59pm On Jan 21, 2012
still aint got the link.

holla.

somzie@yahoo.com
Re: Cost Of Making A Music Video? by directorsolomon(m): 8:31am On Jun 15, 2013
After all the technically and the equipment rentage and all... it boils down to the creativity and interpretation of the song by the Director and how well he can bring that ideas to life with whatever equipment he is using....

some simple songs may require alot of shots others may not.... I currently have a 'previz' of a one shot music video where there is absolutely no cut from beginning to the end of the song.... this kinda shot requires hours and hours of technical set up over a span of space....(from a studio to an open street) as the camera is constantly following the subject throughout the shot

I can't tell you how much it will take to shoot a video until I'm done listening to the song and discuss the concept with you... some may require pyrotechnics others may just be simple shots in already existing edifices

no matter what camera or or Jib (NOT JEEP) or Dolly's or Steadicam you are using or even stop motion animation York video can range from 180k to even 2million...

I think I should stop here...

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

BBNaija: Tobi Caught Miracle And Nina Making Love / Reasons Mercy Won BBNaija 2019 - TheNewsGuru / BBNaija: Beauty Reveals Her Sexual Encounters With Groovy (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.