Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,089 members, 7,880,405 topics. Date: Thursday, 04 July 2024 at 05:41 PM

Mathew 11:11 ( Please Can Somebody Explain This Verse To Me? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Mathew 11:11 ( Please Can Somebody Explain This Verse To Me? (2035 Views)

TRINITARIANS, How Do You Honestly Interpret This Verse In The Bible? / 87% Of Christians Probably Don't Know This Verse In The Bible. @pix / Crumbs Under The Table: Explain This Verse Please! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mathew 11:11 ( Please Can Somebody Explain This Verse To Me? by Ozegbe(m): 11:42am On Apr 24, 2012
please somebody should read it and throw more light its kinda confusing me.
Re: Mathew 11:11 ( Please Can Somebody Explain This Verse To Me? by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:10pm On Apr 24, 2012
Ozegbe: please somebody should read it and throw more light its kinda confusing me.
Why don't you quote the said verse and tell us what exactly confuses you?
Re: Mathew 11:11 ( Please Can Somebody Explain This Verse To Me? by Image123(m): 12:19pm On Apr 24, 2012
Maybe if it was his name in the verse, the confusion no go dey.
Re: Mathew 11:11 ( Please Can Somebody Explain This Verse To Me? by Snowwy: 12:46pm On Apr 24, 2012
Ozegbe: please somebody should read it and throw more light its kinda confusing me.

Hi Ozegbe,

Matthew 11:11 (KJV)
'Verily I say unto you, Among them that are born of women there hath not risen a greater than John the Baptist: notwithstanding he that is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he'

If you read the whole chapter, you would get more insight on what Jesus was saying.

Who are those the kingdom of heaven is meant for first? There are a host of scriptures but I will pick two:
1. Except you are born of the Spirit and of water, you can in no wise enter the kingdom of God. (John 3:5)
2. Except you are converted and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven (Matt 18:3-5).

In other words, you have to be converted and believe in Jesus Christ who is the only way to the Kingdom of Heaven.

Now, Jesus said that even though John was greater than anyone who was born of a woman being the one who was the messenger that was sent to usher Him in(Mal. 3:1)and being the Elijah (the great prophet)to come (Matt.11:14), he was lower than the least in the kingdom of heaven because of this question John asked:

Matthew 11:2
2 When John, who was in prison, heard about the deeds of the Messiah, he sent his disciples
3 to ask him, “Are you the one who is to come, or should we expect someone else?”

John was doubting the very person he came to usher in.
Re: Mathew 11:11 ( Please Can Somebody Explain This Verse To Me? by LogicMind: 12:48pm On Apr 24, 2012
it means jesus had a big one before he spoke.
ganja is wonderful.
Re: Mathew 11:11 ( Please Can Somebody Explain This Verse To Me? by ijawkid(m): 2:29pm On Apr 24, 2012
To my understanding not all faithfull christians will go to heaven....

Why??

Because nt all will be born agains....

All d faithful patriachs from abel down to all those who never got baptised with water and spirit are gonna have a different destination...

That's why in a sense followers of christ, are greater than even John d baptist and all those who never saw and lived after christ coming and ressurection........

It means abel won't go to heaven because he isn't born again...

Spiritual isrealites are the 1's wit d priviledge of ruling alongside Jesus as kings and priests in d heavenly kingdom
Re: Mathew 11:11 ( Please Can Somebody Explain This Verse To Me? by Ozegbe(m): 2:38pm On Apr 24, 2012
Snowwy:

Hi Ozegbe,

'Verily I say unto you, Among them that are born of women there hath not risen a greater than John the Baptist: notwithstanding he that is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he'

If you read the whole chapter, you would get more insight on what Jesus was saying.

Who are those the kingdom of heaven is meant for first? There are a host of scriptures but I will pick two:
1. Except you are born of the Spirit and of water, you can in no wise enter the kingdom of God. (John 3:5)
2. Except you are converted and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven (Matt 18:3-5).

In other words, you have to be converted and believe in Jesus Christ who is the only way to the Kingdom of Heaven.

Now, Jesus said that even though John was greater than anyone who was born of a woman being the one who was the messenger that was sent to usher Him in(Mal. 3:1)and being the Elijah (the great prophet)to come (Matt.11:14), he was lower than the least in the kingdom of heaven because of this question John asked:

2 When John, who was in prison, heard about the deeds of the Messiah, he sent his disciples
3 to ask him, “Are you the one who is to come, or should we expect someone else?”

was that why jesus didnt do anythings about his beheading or was there a prophesy
Re: Mathew 11:11 ( Please Can Somebody Explain This Verse To Me? by Ozegbe(m): 2:50pm On Apr 24, 2012
Snowwy:

Hi Ozegbe,

BTW this dint explain it, infact am now more confuse. How come a man that was sent by God from birth, suddenly begin to doubt?
Re: Mathew 11:11 ( Please Can Somebody Explain This Verse To Me? by Snowwy: 3:05pm On Apr 24, 2012
Ozegbe:
BTW this dint explain it, infact am now more confuse. How come a man that was sent by God from birth, suddenly begin to doubt?

Since this did not explain it, what was the previous explanation you had on it?

Belief is a choice.

John even bore witness of Jesus in John 1:15 and in the book of John 1 called him the Lamb of God.
Why would he suddenly ask Jesus again if He was the one God sent or another should be expected?
May be because he did not expect to be in jail, or He expected Jesus to save him from death.

That is a question you might be able to answer.
Re: Mathew 11:11 ( Please Can Somebody Explain This Verse To Me? by Image123(m): 4:02pm On Apr 24, 2012
Before the thing derail pass recognition. The verse simply states that John the baptist was the greatest man ever in God's sight/estimation. This greatest was due to John's task of being Christ's forerunner. But the least person in God's kingdom is greater than the greatest man. Strive to be in that kingdom. Humans strive spending years, money, life and energy to achieve things on earth. But the things which are not seen are eternal.
Re: Mathew 11:11 ( Please Can Somebody Explain This Verse To Me? by Snowwy: 4:02pm On Apr 24, 2012
On second thought, there are actually some interesting things to note about Jesus saying that John the baptist was the Elijah expected:

Malachi 4:5-6 (KJV)
5Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the LORD:
6And he shall turn the heart of the fathers to the children, and the heart of the children to their fathers, lest I come and smite the earth with a curse

Luke 1:17
17And he shall go before him in the spirit and power of Elias, to turn the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the disobedient to the wisdom of the just; to make ready a people prepared for the Lord.

[/b]Matthew 11:13-14[/b]
For all the prophets and the law prophesied until John. And if ye will receive it, this is Elias, which was for to come

1. Elijah was a fiery prophet as John was fiery

2. Elijah experienced great victory by killing Jezebels, prophets of Baal while John was the messenger in preparation of Jesus Christ and he spoke against Herod marrying his brother's wife

3. Jezebel wanted Elijah dead while Herodias wanted John dead

4. Elijah got discouraged and wanted death and ran away after such a great feat that God had to encourage him,
John was imprisoned and had to ask the Messiah if he was the one sent. (I guess John needed assurance/encouragement as well, why? view below)

5. Elijah was taken away in chariots of fire while John was eventually beheaded.

Possibly John had personal expectations about Jesus. That he would come and deliver him with a forceful revolution or something. His not getting this special treatment just like Elijah was able to escape with chariots of fire, was the reason he might have asked the question.

That could be the reason why Christ said the least in the Kingdom of heaven was greater than John because despite all John (Elijah) had seen and done, he still was unsure of God. The answer Jesus gave the disciples of John to take back to Him might have helped.
Someone else may have another view sha.
Re: Mathew 11:11 ( Please Can Somebody Explain This Verse To Me? by ATMC(f): 4:16pm On Apr 24, 2012
Snowwy:

Hi Ozegbe,

those 2 points of urs r talking of different kingdoms...d kingdom of god which differs from d kingdom of heaven. Jn 3:5 talks about being born of water nd spirit or being bornagain as a prerequisite to entering d kingdom of god which is righteousness, peace nd joy in d holyghost whereas having d heart of a child is a prerequisite for entering d kingdom of heaven... Now concerning d statement in matt 11:11- among all born of women refers to every other person in d world, john is greater than all because he was filled with d holy spirit from d womb but then d least in d kingdom of god, remember is born of water nd d spirit ie born again nd so is greater than john...we were not told dt john was baptized.
Re: Mathew 11:11 ( Please Can Somebody Explain This Verse To Me? by Snowwy: 4:33pm On Apr 24, 2012
ATMC: those 2 points of urs r talking of different kingdoms...d kingdom of god which differs from d kingdom of heaven. Jn 3:5 talks about being born of water nd spirit or being bornagain as a prerequisite to entering d kingdom of god which is righteousness, peace nd joy in d holyghost whereas having d heart of a child is a prerequisite for entering d kingdom of heaven... Now concerning d statement in matt 11:11- among all born of women refers to every other person in d world, john is greater than all because he was filled with d holy spirit from d womb but then d least in d kingdom of god, remember is born of water nd d spirit ie born again nd so is greater than john...we were not told dt john was baptized.

Nice post.
There are times when the kingdom of God are used interchangeable as the kingdom of heaven so I do not see that as the issue.

In the gospels, Mark and Luke used kingdom of God often while Matthew used kingdom of heaven frequently.

The definition of the kingdom of God I know, thanks for re-affirming.

I kinda got lost after in your born of the Spirit from the womb being less than the least in God's kingdom while born of water and Spirit being greater sha.
Re: Mathew 11:11 ( Please Can Somebody Explain This Verse To Me? by ojoyentalk: 5:15pm On Apr 24, 2012
Least in the kingdom,greater than John simply means the least person(born again,born of the spirit and of water,washed by the blood of Jesus,rapturable n raptured saints)

on earth or in heaven(kingdom of God) is greater than the greatest man that is born of a woman,born of flesh and blood,John the baptist.

1 Like

Re: Mathew 11:11 ( Please Can Somebody Explain This Verse To Me? by ATMC(f): 11:03am On Apr 26, 2012
ojoyentalk: Least in the kingdom,greater than John simply means the least person(born again,born of the spirit and of water,washed by the blood of Jesus,rapturable n raptured saints)

on earth or in heaven(kingdom of God) is greater than the greatest man that is born of a woman,born of flesh and blood,John the baptist.
makes sense! Question: y was john greater among all born of women?
Re: Mathew 11:11 ( Please Can Somebody Explain This Verse To Me? by annyplenty(m): 6:55pm On Apr 26, 2012
what Jesus was saying was that HE was much more greater than John the baptist whom the jews already believed to be a great prophet.
HE tried to emphasize this position by letting them know that John was the greatest among prophets born of women but that
the smallest person in heaven is greater than john (the greatest prophet on earth)- not to talk of the messiah HIMSELF
that came directly from THE FATHER. if you read LUKE 7:25-28 you will understand better.

luke25:25-28
25 But what went ye out for to see? A man clothed in soft raiment? Behold, they which are gorgeously apparelled, and live delicately, are in kings’ courts.

26 But what went ye out for to see? A prophet? Yea, I say unto you, and much more than a prophet.

27 This is he, of whom it is written, Behold, I send my messenger before thy face, which shall prepare thy way before thee.

28 For I say unto you, Among those that are born of women there is not a greater prophet than John the Baptist: but he that is least in the kingdom of God is greater than he.
Re: Mathew 11:11 ( Please Can Somebody Explain This Verse To Me? by annyplenty(m): 6:56pm On Apr 26, 2012
what Jesus was saying was that HE was much more greater than John the baptist whom the jews already believed to be a great prophet.
HE tried to emphasize this position by letting them know that John was the greatest among prophets born of women but that
the smallest person in heaven is greater than john (the greatest prophet on earth)- not to talk of the messiah HIMSELF
that came directly from THE FATHER. if you read LUKE 7:25-28 you will understand better.

luke7:25-28
25 But what went ye out for to see? A man clothed in soft raiment? Behold, they which are gorgeously apparelled, and live delicately, are in kings’ courts.

26 But what went ye out for to see? A prophet? Yea, I say unto you, and much more than a prophet.

27 This is he, of whom it is written, Behold, I send my messenger before thy face, which shall prepare thy way before thee.

28 For I say unto you, Among those that are born of women there is not a greater prophet than John the Baptist: but he that is least in the kingdom of God is greater than he.

(1) (Reply)

Deeper Life View On Make Up And Jewelry? / Couple Dashes Prophet Joshua Iginla N60million 2016 Mercedez Benz CLA 200(PHOTO) / All You Need To Know About Mohammed Ali And His Persecuted Islamic Sect

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.