Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,998 members, 7,886,731 topics. Date: Thursday, 11 July 2024 at 02:29 PM

Dredging Of River Niger Completed – Obi’s Aide - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Dredging Of River Niger Completed – Obi’s Aide (5180 Views)

Anambra Election Protesters Are Not Igbos – Obi’s Aide / Okorocha, Umeh Are Ingrates — Obi’s Aide / Okorocha Punches Governor Obi’s Aide Over Seat! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dredging Of River Niger Completed – Obi’s Aide by Beaf: 4:01am On Apr 27, 2012
[size=14pt]Dredging of River Niger completed – Obi’s aide[/size]
On April 27, 2012 · In News
By VINCENT UJUMADU

AWKA—THE dredging of River Niger, which was begun few years ago, has been completed and the Onitsha port which is one of the inland ports being built by the Federal Government to service the country’s inland waters is also awaiting commissioning by President Goodluck Jonathan when he visits Anambra State.

Senior Special Assistant to Governor Peter Obi on Inter Party Affairs, Chief Ben Obi, said yesterday that officials of the Federal Inland Waterways Authority had inspected the work and expressed satisfaction with the performance of the contractors.

According to him, the Onitsha port is already providing skeletal services as it is being used by some companies for the clearing of goods, and that business at the port would peak when it is officially commissioned.

He described as misinformation, the statement credited to the president of Anambra Markets Traders Association, ASMATA, Mr. Eze Nwankwo, to the effect that the dredging of River Niger had not been completed.

Obi urged traders in the state to brace up for the commencement of full activities at the River ports built by the Federal Government at strategic towns on the bank of River Niger.

He explained that his office was holding sensitization programmes with various interest groups and other stakeholders that would directly benefit from the dredged river and ports, adding that they were enthusiastically waiting for full operation to begin.

His words: “The dredging of the River Niger and the construction of the Onitsha River port are two projects that have endeared our people to President Jonathan. These are projects that remained on paper for years and with their completion by the present administration, business activities in the South East geo-political zone will be enhanced”.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/04/dredging-of-river-niger-completed-obis-aide/
Re: Dredging Of River Niger Completed – Obi’s Aide by Beaf: 4:05am On Apr 27, 2012
Nice.
Now all thats needed would be good rail, road and water links to ports in Rivers, Akwa Ibom, Bayelsa and Delta.
This could be a gamechanger for local commerce.

I wonder when the dredging of Benin river and its tributaries will be completed?

1 Like

Re: Dredging Of River Niger Completed – Obi’s Aide by aljharem(m): 4:07am On Apr 27, 2012
Beaf: Nice.
Now all thats needed would be good rail, road and water links to ports in Rivers, Akwa Ibom, Bayelsa and Delta.
This could be a gamechanger for local commerce.

I wonder when the dredging of Benin river and its tributaries will be completed?

What of Kano, Kogi, Lagos (makoko pictures you showed) etc ? shocked shocked shocked
Re: Dredging Of River Niger Completed – Obi’s Aide by karlmax2: 7:02am On Apr 27, 2012
Another GEJ election promise SE delivered! Welldone mr president i hope haters on NL are watching!!
Re: Dredging Of River Niger Completed – Obi’s Aide by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 7:42am On Apr 27, 2012
Nigeria or Anambra State(Port Authority) needs to invest in Dredging vessels to constantly dredge River Niger from time to time. This would be efficient and economical than the private sector contractors or alongside the private contractors.

Secondly, If the federal government is building a one terminal river-port at onitsha, then we expect to see the maximum capacity of a single terminal port with at least eight mobile harbour cranes, large tool gate entry into the port and large container terminal stacking area, as Onitsha is a commercial city.

We also expect Two large automated port cranes as illustrated below to support Six of the the much smaller ones sited at onitsha river port.

Transport minister, Senator Idris Umar disclosed: "I discovered that the stacking area was inadequate for a port of that magnitude. So, we had to increase the stacking area to increase the capacity of the port in that regard. We also discovered that it had no gate and no power generator. So, we had to extend the time to ensure that these things were provided."

Re: Dredging Of River Niger Completed – Obi’s Aide by Nobody: 8:17am On Apr 27, 2012
Its like gej will gain east trust again,that man is trying atleast I finally see a pic. This same port
was PROMISED by obj when I was in secondary school(i grew up in onitsha) yaradua did same but here i
see actions. Gej 2015 grin or nigeria divid btwn south and north lol
Re: Dredging Of River Niger Completed – Obi’s Aide by Nobody: 8:38am On Apr 27, 2012
Toaskarity: Its like gej will gain east trust again,that man is trying atleast I finally see a pic. This same port
was PROMISED by obj when I was in secondary school(i grew up in onitsha) yaradua did same but here i

What a Tribal dummy! I'm pretty sure you saw the following in the story.

Beaf: [size=14pt]Dredging of River Niger completed – Obi’s aide[/size]
On April 27, 2012 · In News
By VINCENT UJUMADU

AWKA—THE dredging of River Niger,[b] which was begun few years ago, has been completed

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/04/dredging-of-river-niger-completed-obis-aide/

Smh
Re: Dredging Of River Niger Completed – Obi’s Aide by chino11(m): 8:58am On Apr 27, 2012
Wow. Good works.

Anambra and particularly Onitsha is turning into mega economic/commercial hub of SE/SS. cool
Re: Dredging Of River Niger Completed – Obi’s Aide by aljharem(m): 9:01am On Apr 27, 2012
chino11: Wow. Good works.

Anambra and particularly Onitsha is turning into mega economic/commercial hub of SE/SS. cool

You forgot middle belt
Re: Dredging Of River Niger Completed – Obi’s Aide by PROUDIGBO(m): 9:44am On Apr 27, 2012
Can anyone in-the-know provide pics of the type of vessels that would be berthing at the Port when it's completed? I'm sure they wouldn't be Ocean-going vessels as the bridge isn't high enough. If the containers would be transferred to smaller vessels at Lagos or Port Harcourt, then is there really any need for a customs post at Onitsha?; and if this is the case, wouldn't a refurbished/new Railway link to Onitsha have sufficed?
Re: Dredging Of River Niger Completed – Obi’s Aide by 9jaIhail(m): 9:44am On Apr 27, 2012
GEJ IS FINALLY PUTTING THE DOUBTERS TO SILENT. I SAID IT MANY TIMES WITHOUT CREATION OF BOKO HARAM TO DESTABILIZE GEJ I AM CONFIDENCE THE MAN CAME TO RESCUE BUT THIS STUPIID ELITES WHO FELL US WOEFULLY IS DOING EVERYTHING POSSIBLE TO MAKE SURE THE MAN DIDN'T SUCCEED.

God is watching
Re: Dredging Of River Niger Completed – Obi’s Aide by PROUDIGBO(m): 9:47am On Apr 27, 2012
alj harem:

You forgot middle belt

Good point though. Wonder why i've not seen any pics of the River Ports in Lokoja and Baro undecided?
Re: Dredging Of River Niger Completed – Obi’s Aide by Nobody: 9:50am On Apr 27, 2012
kingoflag:

What a Tribal dummy! I'm pretty sure you saw the following in the story.

Smh

under his supervision, the stuff surfaced,I can aswell lebel you a tribal dummy
for not noticing that too. There maybe probability that this project will be abandon
if it were the ppl I mentioned b4 still in power.
Re: Dredging Of River Niger Completed – Obi’s Aide by Demdem(m): 9:58am On Apr 27, 2012
Toaskarity: Its like gej will gain east trust again,that man is trying atleast I finally see a pic. This same port

Yes this project started fullstream during Yaradua's tenure. I still credit the Retardeen for allowing the Job to continue though. These are the kinds of stuffs we need in this country.
Re: Dredging Of River Niger Completed – Obi’s Aide by Nobody: 10:01am On Apr 27, 2012
Demdem:

Yes this project started fullstream during Yaradua's tenure. I still credit the Retardeen for allowing the Job to continue though. These are the kinds of stuffs we need in this country.

exactly what Im trying to explain and someone already screaming tribalism, we know fed project
like this got abandoned so easily esp in southeast.
Re: Dredging Of River Niger Completed – Obi’s Aide by picolo01: 10:07am On Apr 27, 2012
BEAF stop getting ur hopes up, nothing is happening . there is no coordinated program to resuscitate the seaport.

did u see the 2nd niger bridge design ?

did u notice it is not a suspended bridge design? - meaning there is no provision for vessels to navigate beneath it.

now if vessels cant navigate beneath it, how will the seaport function ?
Re: Dredging Of River Niger Completed – Obi’s Aide by chino11(m): 10:18am On Apr 27, 2012
PROUD-IGBO:
Can anyone in-the-know provide pics of the type of vessels that would be berthing at the Port when it's completed? I'm sure they wouldn't be Ocean-going vessels as the bridge isn't high enough. If the containers would be transferred to smaller vessels at Lagos or Port Harcourt, then is there really any need for a customs post at Onitsha?; and if this is the case, wouldn't a refurbished/new Railway link to Onitsha have sufficed?

It will be shipped to Onitsha port via large barges, already some companies are now using the port for their economic gains awaiting the full take off of the port next month when it must have been commissioned by FG. Like I have seen Sabmiller used the port to transfer their imported construction material for the ongoing construction of their new greenfield brewery plant at Onitsha Harbour. Ofcourse there will be Customs, Police and Naval posts coupled with clearing and forwarding agents/services. This and many more avenues will create more employment for Anambrans and Igbos in general.
Re: Dredging Of River Niger Completed – Obi’s Aide by mizne1: 10:38am On Apr 27, 2012
chino11:

It will be shipped to Onitsha port via large barges, already some companies are now using the port for their economic gains awaiting the full take off of the port next month when it must have been commissioned by FG. Like I have seen Sabmiller used the port to transfer their imported construction material for the ongoing construction of their new greenfield brewery plant at Onitsha Harbour. Ofcourse there will be Customs, Police and Naval posts coupled with clearing and forwarding agents/services. This and many more avenues will create more employment for Anambrans and Igbos in general.
yes[img]http://www.spgames.info/g.gif[/img]
Re: Dredging Of River Niger Completed – Obi’s Aide by ak47mann(m): 10:53am On Apr 27, 2012
nice one GEJ cool cool
Re: Dredging Of River Niger Completed – Obi’s Aide by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 11:05am On Apr 27, 2012
PROUD-IGBO:

Some examples. This is Nigeria and Naval Patrol or Waterways Police Patrol of the Rivers will have to be a priority in the Regional, State and Federal Security Agenda.

Re: Dredging Of River Niger Completed – Obi’s Aide by PROUDIGBO(m): 11:19am On Apr 27, 2012
Bliss4Lyfe:

Some examples.

^^^Thanks Sis'. I'm still wondering how the whole thing will work though: so containers will be transfered to these type of vessels, and Customs will stand looking while they are moved into the country without being inspected or duties paid until it reaches Onitsha? If they (the containers) were off-loaded first only when it reaches Onitsha, then i can understand a bit the need for Customs and other inspection agencies being located in Onitsha. But if they are transfered to other vessels at the point of entry (eg, Lagos or Port Harcourt), then i would think Customs will want duties to be paid first b/4 it moves on. Had the bridge at Onitsha been higher, or able to raise up (like Tower bridge in London), then it would be ideal for Ocean-going vessels to move directly to Onitsha without stopping anywhere else first.

Maybe i'm being a bit too analytical though, so lets just see how everything will work.
Re: Dredging Of River Niger Completed – Obi’s Aide by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 11:35am On Apr 27, 2012
^ @ PROUD-IGBO

It will be cleared at Onitsha by Nigeria Port Authorities (Customs). At Port Harcourt, such Cargoes will merely be transferred to Barges destined for Onitsha.

It will be greatly profitable as most Igbos will now directly cargo goods destined for the East to onitsha from all over the world via Akwa Ibom deep seaport.

I look forward to utilising the service but that international airport in Onitsha is a priority, at least one terminal.

1 Like

Re: Dredging Of River Niger Completed – Obi’s Aide by manny4life(m): 3:53pm On Apr 27, 2012
PROUD-IGBO:

IMO, the pics is not that important since a lot of factors needs to be considered, for instance the weight including the dead weight of the container shipping vessel, the draft and depth of water, water reservoir balance, wind, etc. While I do not know what the depth of Onitsha river, but the last time I checked on it, it could only accommodate small ships, barges and limited feeder vessels. What that means is that the Onitsha river need to be dredged further down to increase it's depth to accommodate mid-size break bulk cargo ships/ larger feeder vessels.

What you had explained above (transfer from Lagos tor PH to Onitsha) is called Spoke-Hub Model System and yes you're right about it. In a well balanced and secured economy, that is the idea that has been utilized, however, that is not the case here. Like @Bliss4Lyfe said, vessels will dock at Onitsha and be cleared by Nigerian Authorities. The idea is that since a Large Carrier or Container ship CANNOT dock at Onitsha, however, it can transfer it's goods onto smaller ships in International waters.

What most large shipping companies do is, since they operate vessels that carry about 5,000TEUs to about 12,000TEUS, what they do is, about say 500miles out at a predetermined location, they will perform in and out transfer of cargo destined for various locations. Now, keep in mind, this is time consuming but saves on COST and increases revenue for them.

Take for instance, AP Moller Mask 8,000TEU is bound for Africa and carrying goods destined for Nigeria, Ghana, and any other African nation within close proximity. AP Moller ship doesn't have capability to dock in any of the destinations, however, they will perform transfers onto mid size ships or even feeder ships, like 300miles away from destined country but still on international waters. This increases their revenues because, they can consolidate more containers from their docking port and distribute half way there to smaller ships (less to operate).
Re: Dredging Of River Niger Completed – Obi’s Aide by PROUDIGBO(m): 4:49pm On Apr 27, 2012
manny4life:

IMO, the pics is not that important since a lot of factors needs to be considered, for instance the weight including the dead weight of the container shipping vessel, the draft and depth of water, water reservoir balance, wind, etc. While I do not know what the depth of Onitsha river, but the last time I checked on it, it could only accommodate small ships, barges and limited feeder vessels. What that means is that the Onitsha river need to be dredged further down to increase it's depth to accommodate mid-size break bulk cargo ships/ larger feeder vessels.

What you had explained above (transfer from Lagos tor PH to Onitsha) is called Spoke-Hub Model System and yes you're right about it. In a well balanced and secured economy, that is the idea that has been utilized, however, that is not the case here. Like @Bliss4Lyfe said, vessels will dock at Onitsha and be cleared by Nigerian Authorities. The idea is that since a Large Carrier or Container ship CANNOT dock at Onitsha, however, it can transfer it's goods onto smaller ships in International waters.

What most large shipping companies do is, since they operate vessels that carry about 5,000TEUs to about 12,000TEUS, what they do is, about say 500miles out at a predetermined location, they will perform in and out transfer of cargo destined for various locations. Now, keep in mind, this is time consuming but saves on COST and increases revenue for them.

Take for instance, AP Moller Mask 8,000TEU is bound for Africa and carrying goods destined for Nigeria, Ghana, and any other African nation within close proximity. AP Moller ship doesn't have capability to dock in any of the destinations, however, they will perform transfers onto mid size ships or even feeder ships, like 300miles away from destined country but still on international waters. This increases their revenues because, they can consolidate more containers from their docking port and distribute half way there to smaller ships (less to operate).

^^^Thanks Manny4life. You've answered all the questions i had on the issue. So the pics Bliss' provided are the type of vessels that will be used for the transfer from the Mothership on the high seas? Or do you have other examples to help explain further.

It makes sense as a ship can be loaded at its Port of departure, and can have a quick turn-around at its destination if it has smaller ships it can offload its cargo unto instead of visiting two or three Ports one after the other b/4 heading back.

Onitsha is about to take off for real!!
Re: Dredging Of River Niger Completed – Obi’s Aide by manny4life(m): 5:53pm On Apr 27, 2012
PROUD-IGBO:

^^^Thanks Manny4life. You've answered all the questions i had on the issue. So the pics Bliss' provided are the type of vessels that will be used for the transfer from the Mothership on the high seas? Or do you have other examples to help explain further.

It makes sense as a ship can be loaded at its Port of departure, and can have a quick turn-around at its destination if it has smaller ships it can offload its cargo unto instead of visiting two or three Ports one after the other b/4 heading back.

Onitsha is about to take off for real!!

Though I cannot figure (first pic) how many TEUs that it's holding, but the pics looks about correct. Remember that I said, the depth of the river really matters a lot. The deeper the river, the bigger the size of ships come in (based on draft). @Bliss 4lyfe even mentioned that either the state or FG ports authority needs to constantly dredge it further (I agree with her view) for economic activity.

Yes, in countries like the U.S., the Spoke-Hub model is vital to sustain economic activity. Quick turnaround is paramount to success in the transportation industry, thus, it's important to note that while larger ships can do transfers while at sea, bigger ports like PH, Lagos can receive feeder vessels from Onitsha.

For instance like @Chino11 stated, Sabmiller Corp as well as other manufacturing companies can easily and frequently move inventory on daily basis to Lagos, PH as well as other cities. There will be less damage to our highways if majority of goods can be concentrated on the domestic shipping lane. Although, I will recommend that Lagos has domestic terminals to receive feeder vessels. Small/Mid-size Bulk Cargo carriers can move goods within inland waterways to and fro Onitsha and major ports.

You're right that Onitsha port will play an important role, my only fear is the abuse of its potential. I'm hoping that manufacturing companies can begin to establish their services in the SE. Onitsha is about to take off, YES it is, but they're two more things are required to bring the SE to its required status quo - International Airport and MSR/HSR network (medium or High Speed Rail) for both passenger/cargo. This will alleviate transport gridlocks in the SE, and improve the economy.
Re: Dredging Of River Niger Completed – Obi’s Aide by chino11(m): 8:04pm On Apr 27, 2012
^
Bliss nwanne mu? You have analyzed the subject in such a way that even a pedestrian can understand. Good works.

Am sure that the Onitsha Port is the beginning of industrial revolution in Onitsha and SE at large, because major manufacturing and investment companies are now taking position in and around Onitsha to tap from the benefits of the Port.
Re: Dredging Of River Niger Completed – Obi’s Aide by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 8:42am On Apr 28, 2012
chino11: ^
Bliss nwanne mu? You have analyzed the subject in such a way that even a pedestrian can understand. Good works.

Am sure that the Onitsha Port is the beginning of industrial revolution in Onitsha and SE at large, because major manufacturing and investment companies are now taking position in and around Onitsha to tap from the benefits of the Port.

@ Chino11 our own nairaland general. Oduogwu.lol I am trying. This development is not impossible but inactivity makes it seem impossible. We will get their by his grace.

There is no point for the GEJ administration to rush and commission a sub-standard project wen their is plenty of time for 2015. A job worth doing is worth doing well.
Re: Dredging Of River Niger Completed – Obi’s Aide by chino11(m): 10:37am On Apr 28, 2012
Bliss4Lyfe:

@ Chino11 our own nairaland general. Oduogwu.lol I am trying. This development is not impossible but inactivity makes it seem impossible. We will get their by his grace.

There is no point for the GEJ administration to rush and commission a sub-standard project wen their is plenty of time for 2015. A job worth doing is worth doing well.

Dalu nwanne mu.
Re: Dredging Of River Niger Completed – Obi’s Aide by noiseless: 12:50pm On Apr 28, 2012
Seeing is believing, sick and tired of promises and propaganda. Plus we still need our international airport for easy contact with other nations and our motherland, without anyone thinking they are doing us a favour when we have to travel far away only to catch a flight just because we need to travel out and come back to our homeland, not mentioning the abuse and risk that go with it.
Re: Dredging Of River Niger Completed – Obi’s Aide by Dede1(m): 5:40pm On Apr 28, 2012
I have unclear issue with the high sea (Spoke-Hub Model System) as far as Nigeria is concerned. The high risk and technically required operation is not suited for condition such as Nigeria and it inhabitants.

Most container carrying vessels that can haul from 5000TEUs to 12000TEUs do not have cranes onboard to offload the containers. They depend on the terminal cranes to offload their loads. Now one wonders how the big ocean liners will transfer containers on the high sea without cranes. For Africa, which has no secure economy, high sea transfer is a possible risk with cargo freight liners which carry bags of rice, cement, sugar and other commodities which have cranes onboard. Yet there could be high incidences of menace from pirates.

The entire south eastern region of Nigeria and particularly SE will become an economic bonanza when the deep water seaport at Ibaka, Akwa Ibom is completed. In addition, a worthy international airport with as much landing rights as MMIA or NAIA as well as network of roads and railroad in the zone is a most.

1 Like

Re: Dredging Of River Niger Completed – Obi’s Aide by manny4life(m): 6:59pm On Apr 28, 2012
Dede1: I have unclear issue with the high sea (Spoke-Hub Model System) as far as Nigeria is concerned. The high risk and technically required operation is not suited for condition such as Nigeria and it inhabitants.

Most container carrying vessels that can haul from 5000TEUs to 12000TEUs do not have cranes on board to offload the containers. They depend on the terminal cranes to offload their loads. Now one wonders how the big ocean liners will transfer containers on the high sea without cranes. For Africa, which has no secure economy, high sea transfer is a possible risk with cargo freight liners which carry bags of rice, cement, sugar and other commodities which have cranes onboard. Yet there could be high incidences of menace from pirates.

The entire south eastern region of Nigeria and particularly SE will become an economic bonanza when the deep water seaport at Ibaka, Akwa Ibom is completed. In addition, a worthy international airport with as much landing rights as MMIA or NAIA as well as network of roads and railroad in the zone is a most.

Brother, I do realize that you have unclear issues with the model when it comes to Nigeria, but it doesn't negate the fact that it exist. Just to correct your notion, majority of large ocean-liners and newer models(Ultra and super ultra large Container carriers, Panamax and Post Panamax carriers etc) that carry huge amount of containers do carry on-board cranes so that that they can accept feeder vessels containers from theirs and vice versa. Look into these vessels and research it, you will see that they DO NOT depend on terminal cranes to unload, now it doesn't mean terminal cranes can't unload from them, it just means it's doubles the speed of unloading. If two/three cranes are designated to unload from that ship coupled with two/three more cranes on board, you have more 4/6 cranes doing the job faster.

I mean doesn't it make more sense that large vessels have their own cranes to unload and speed up process, rather than depend on terminal cranes, after all, it's not the only ship that's berthing at the port. If a company s gonna spend three digits (millions of $$$) to purchase a ocean vessel liner, don't it make sense to fully equip it? The operation may seem complex to the average person, but in reality, such systems have been tried and tested. Large vessels perform these "calculated task" you call risky.

I don't know about bulk carriers and their transfers since bulk carriers have storage like silos, I doubt they do transfer, however, what I was emphasizing about is Containers Vessels NOT break-bulk or bulk carriers (that carry rice, sugar, cement, etc). However, there are carriers (Wet Cargo - Chemical, Crude Oil ) that discharge directly at sea. I'm not denying that it's a menace, but how can there be menace of pirates when you have on-board private security? Besides, piracy has always been a menace and the maritime industry know how to avoid them. I know nothing of Maritime security, but I do know large container carriers hire private security personnel for their large carriers.
Re: Dredging Of River Niger Completed – Obi’s Aide by Dede1(m): 9:18pm On Apr 28, 2012
manny4life:

Brother, I do realize that you have unclear issues with the model when it comes to Nigeria, but it doesn't negate the fact that it exist. Just to correct your notion, majority of large ocean-liners and newer models(Ultra and super ultra large Container carriers, Panamax and Post Panamax carriers etc) that carry huge amount of containers do carry on-board cranes so that that they can accept feeder vessels containers from theirs and vice versa. Look into these vessels and research it, you will see that they DO NOT depend on terminal cranes to unload, now it doesn't mean terminal cranes can't unload from them, it just means it's doubles the speed of unloading. If two/three cranes are designated to unload from that ship coupled with two/three more cranes on board, you have more 4/6 cranes doing the job faster.

I mean doesn't it make more sense that large vessels have their own cranes to unload and speed up process, rather than depend on terminal cranes, after all, it's not the only ship that's berthing at the port. If a company s gonna spend three digits (millions of $$$) to purchase a ocean vessel liner, don't it make sense to fully equip it? The operation may seem complex to the average person, but in reality, such systems have been tried and tested. Large vessels perform these "calculated task" you call risky.

I don't know about bulk carriers and their transfers since bulk carriers have storage like silos, I doubt they do transfer, however, what I was emphasizing about is Containers Vessels NOT break-bulk or bulk carriers (that carry rice, sugar, cement, etc). However, there are carriers (Wet Cargo - Chemical, Crude Oil ) that discharge directly at sea. I'm not denying that it's a menace, but how can there be menace of pirates when you have on-board private security? Besides, piracy has always been a menace and the maritime industry know how to avoid them. I know nothing of Maritime security, but I do know large container carriers hire private security personnel for their large carriers.

Bros, I heeded to your advice and found that container ships with onboard cranes were old ships that were, in fact, used for high sea transfer of containers. The new ships do not have onboard cranes. In fact, one article suggested the cranes were removed to provide additional container space on the ship.

I am not oblivious to the fact container ships had onboard cranes but seriously doubted the high sea transfer operation with respect to Nigeria.

(1) (2) (Reply)

APC Is A Threat To Democracy – Obanikoro / Why Is Boko Haram Not Spreading Jihad Into Niger And Chad? / Photos: Guess Who Was Seen Having Breakfast At Lagos Hotel Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.