Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,180,303 members, 7,910,580 topics. Date: Sunday, 04 August 2024 at 12:25 PM

Algorithm Design & Analysis: Because It's What Some Do - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Algorithm Design & Analysis: Because It's What Some Do (2976 Views)

Your Toughest Algorithm / Ludo Game Algorithm Wanted For AI Project / Algorithm For Solving Systems Of Linear Equations (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Algorithm Design & Analysis: Because It's What Some Do by ektbear: 9:56am On May 08, 2012
Fayimora: I'm not saying that it is advisable to go in with zero programming experience.

But if you've:
a) written code before
b) are decent at math, or at least willing to put in effort to learn concepts (which granted, not everyone wants to do)

then there is no real reason to have seen all the algorithms in a class before you even take it.
Re: Algorithm Design & Analysis: Because It's What Some Do by delomos(m): 1:56pm On May 08, 2012
Fayimora:

Now that SERIOUSLY depends on the university! wink
I can bet that if your professor is tenured AND is doing research AND is the one teaching the class (most likely not), that will be the case. I guarantee it.

What most progressive schools (coming to mind is Stanford, Harvard's Incubator programs) are doing is they're bringing in practitioners to teach how this stuff-really-works-in-the-real-world.

How many frameworks and paradigms are coming from universities? Yes, countless dissertations but how many solving real problems?
Re: Algorithm Design & Analysis: Because It's What Some Do by Fayimora(m): 3:06pm On May 08, 2012
Am not sure you thought this through. You described almost every staff in my department. They mostly have companies they either founded or co-founded or manage/associated with, no jokes. They all teach lol. So what's your point? Do you expect all or even half of the dissertations to solve real life problems? How many companies solve these problems? A few. I know a couple of dissertations/projects that do and one that is very popular now is Representational State Transfer. Fielding defined this in his dissertation. Oh how did google begin?

@ekt yeah!
Re: Algorithm Design & Analysis: Because It's What Some Do by delomos(m): 5:53pm On May 08, 2012
Fayimora: Am not sure you thought this through. You described almost every staff in my department. They mostly have companies they either founded or co-founded or manage/associated with, no jokes. They all teach lol. So what's your point? Do you expect all or even half of the dissertations to solve real life problems? How many companies solve these problems? A few. I know a couple of dissertations/projects that do and one that is very popular now is Representational State Transfer. Fielding defined this in his dissertation. Oh how did google begin?

You're rather lucky then,I"m guessing you school might be on the smaller side and Prof. are usually acting as outside consultants vs. really implementing the stuff.

If you're Prof. has been teaching since forever, and tenure, there is little motivation to learn java, heck, they say, smalltalk rocks and it's "original" then they'd quote Bjarne Stroustrup and their own implementation of an idea, but I digress.

You raised very interesting case studies:
1. REST: the original paper and the current implementations in real world is not per the paper (strictly speaking). Andmany purist will even argue, Rails is not RESTy which is what ironically made REST popular.

2. Normalization: Set theory and database is a common dissertation topic, seriously complex and purist will talk about 1, 2,3, 4,5NFs. It turns out, in the real world going pass 3NFs just doesn't work.

3. Design Patterns and OO: Object Orientation is now a 1st year course in many school, as you go up the ladder, they start talking about systems engineering, somewhere there GoF will come up. In the real world, out of the legacy 23 DP, only about 6 or so are solving real problems in the real world (at least in common use).
Re: Algorithm Design & Analysis: Because It's What Some Do by Beaf: 12:02am On May 09, 2012
Lol @ the author of the thread!
Uncle delomos, what algo do you know na? Mention just one and lets discuss it in depth, I mean ONLY one. Lol!

No be to de make maut anihau for NL, while ALWAYS in misfiring mode. The mouth is a reckless thing.
Re: Algorithm Design & Analysis: Because It's What Some Do by Fayimora(m): 4:05am On May 09, 2012
I smell @Beaf lol.

You're rather lucky then,[b]I"m guessing you school might be on the smaller side and Prof. are usually acting as outside consultants vs. really implementing the stuff.
Do you know what uni I go to? lol anyways, they don't work for these companies. Apart from those that co-founded, they are "company fellows" and not consultants. I could have given you a link to a few of our discussions but you would not have access. They say smalltalk rocks but they never advice anyone to use it in production.
Re: Algorithm Design & Analysis: Because It's What Some Do by delomos(m): 8:43pm On May 09, 2012
Fayimora: I smell @Beaf lol.

Do you know what uni I go to? lol anyways, they don't work for these companies. Apart from those that co-founded, they are "company fellows" and not consultants. I could have given you a link to a few of our discussions but you would not have access. They say smalltalk rocks but they never advice anyone to use it in production.

Can you send me a links to few journals from them, or their school pages, I'm curious.
Re: Algorithm Design & Analysis: Because It's What Some Do by Beaf: 1:59am On May 10, 2012
Just one algo... Only one nau! Ayam begging o! Lol!

Signed

Beaf, for the Anti-Hot Air Brigade.
Re: Algorithm Design & Analysis: Because It's What Some Do by lekside44(m): 2:53pm On May 13, 2012
well, let wait and see

(1) (2) (Reply)

Converting Stand-alone Application To Network-based(client-server) / Where Can I Learn Programming In Illorin? / Python Or Php Which One Should I Learn First

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.