Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,117 members, 7,890,712 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 06:44 PM

71 Year Old Prof Olofin Jumped Over FenceTo Escape BUK Attack - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 71 Year Old Prof Olofin Jumped Over FenceTo Escape BUK Attack (19213 Views)

Kawu Sumaila, SSA To Buhari Jumped NASS Gate To Gain Entrance (Photo) / The Reps Member Who Jumped Over The NASS Fence Is A Member Of APC.(PIC) / Dominic Adesanya Jumped Over White House Fence (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 71 Year Old Prof Olofin Jumped Over FenceTo Escape BUK Attack by qwest(m): 3:36pm On Apr 30, 2012
professor of Geography. The guy sure knew the lay of the land.
Re: 71 Year Old Prof Olofin Jumped Over FenceTo Escape BUK Attack by TheShopKeeper(m): 3:41pm On Apr 30, 2012
ISLAM, WHAT A RELIGION?

“So, fight them till all opposition ends and the only religion is Islam” Qur’an 8:39
“Terrorize and behead those who believe in scriptures other than the Qur’an.” 8:12
“Slay the unbelievers [non-muslims] wherever you find them.” Qur'an 2:191
“When opportunity arises, kill the infidels wherever you catch them.” Qur'an 9:5
“Any religion other than Islam is not acceptable.” 3:85
“The Jews and the Christians are perverts; fight them.” 9:30
“Make war on the infidels [christians and jews ] living in your neighborhood.” 9:123
“Maim and crucify the infidels if they criticize Islam.” 5:33
“Punish the unbelievers with garments of fire, hooked iron rods, boiling water; melt their skin and bellies.” 22:19
“Do not hanker for peace with the infidels; behead them when you catch them.” 47:4
“The unbelievers are stupid; urge the Muslims to fight them.” 8:65
“Muslims must not take the infidels as friends.” 3:28
“Muslims must muster all weapons to terrorize the infidels.” 8:60.
Re: 71 Year Old Prof Olofin Jumped Over FenceTo Escape BUK Attack by Dede1(m): 4:34pm On Apr 30, 2012
ignis:
What are you saying Or what do you want to say?

I said all there is to say in the post. Since you are deaf and dumb, my post was a response to the one which attempted to answer previous post that reads as follows:

“One of the profs killed is Yoruba and this one who managed to escape is also Yoruba. And here was I thinking only Igbos are in danger in the North”.

I guess the person who wrote the above quotation was not as dumb as you seem to be.
Re: 71 Year Old Prof Olofin Jumped Over FenceTo Escape BUK Attack by MAssMoneIt: 4:51pm On Apr 30, 2012
I lived in this same Campus as a child between the 80's and 96'... It was the most peaceful life i had experienced and wish i could say same of this region. I had known the Family of the said late Ayodele who was a close family friend as i always go play with his kids. This is a heart breaking tragic incident which makes me feel like my blood aren't flowing anymore. Nigerians have had enough of talking and should take action swiftly !! We as a nation can stand up against what is wrong and fight to liberation. May the soul of the faithful departed rest in Peace ! Amen.
Re: 71 Year Old Prof Olofin Jumped Over FenceTo Escape BUK Attack by juman(m): 5:21pm On Apr 30, 2012
^^
Unfortunate.

I visited the campus one time (90s). It was peaceful and lovely.
Re: 71 Year Old Prof Olofin Jumped Over FenceTo Escape BUK Attack by Nobody: 5:22pm On Apr 30, 2012
A 71-yrs man shocked Quite flexible and impressive.

Unfortunately, we have 50 years old men rolling around in wheel-chairs in so called land of the dying sun.
Re: 71 Year Old Prof Olofin Jumped Over FenceTo Escape BUK Attack by juman(m): 5:25pm On Apr 30, 2012
The old people among the worshippers should have arranged for proper protection not just doing church services without adequate security because of our security challenges.
Re: 71 Year Old Prof Olofin Jumped Over FenceTo Escape BUK Attack by nigexport: 5:25pm On Apr 30, 2012
dexmond:

They are not attacking tribes but CHRISTIANS, Islam hates Christians and Jews.

Firstly, islam does not hate christians, although islam believes christians will enter hell-fire just as christians believe muslims that don't accept jesus(as) as lord and saviour will also enter hell-fire. Islam believes muslims should go their way and christians and jews should go their way. Allah states in ch109 v1-6;- Say: O ye that reject Faith! ,I worship not that which ye worship, Nor will ye worship that which I worship. And I will not worship that which ye have been wont to worship, Nor will ye worship that which I worship. To you be your Way, and to me mine.

Quran (2:216) - "Fighting is prescribed for you, and ye dislike it. But it is possible that ye dislike a thing which is good for you, and that ye love a thing which is bad for you. But Allah knoweth, and ye know not."

You selected this verse out of context. You see, when people started accepting islam in the city of Mecca, the pagans, jews and early christians where killing the new converted muslims, torturing them and banishing them from their home town(mecca), therefore many ran away and forsook the religion so this verses was revealed telling them to fight back. To properly understand this verse, you must also include the next verse (i.e. verse 217) of the same chapter in the quran. You see, the verse you quoted does not explain whom allah tells us to fight, or why to fight, it just states we should fight, therefore, to understand this verse you must continue reading till the next verse. i.e ch2 v 217, allah states;-
.... but graver is it in the sight of Allah to prevent access to the path of Allah, to deny Him, to prevent access to the Sacred Mosque, and drive out its members." Tumult and oppression are worse than slaughter. Nor will they cease fighting you until they turn you back from your faith if they can. And if any of you Turn back from their faith and die in unbelief, their works will bear no fruit in this life and in the Hereafter; they will be companions of the Fire and will abide therein.

Quran (4:76) - "Those who believe fight in the cause of Allah…"

Again, you are quoting out of context. The verse you quoted is incomplete, as allah mentions two types of people fighting here;- one fighting for evil(satan) and the other fighting for good (allah). I'll also quote the immediate verse before this verse so readers can truly understand the statement, ch4 v75-76;-
75 And why should ye not fight in the cause of Allah and of those who, being weak, are ill-treated- Men, women, and children, whose cry is: "Our Lord! Rescue us from this town, whose people are oppressors; and raise for us from thee one who will protect; and raise for us from thee one who will help!"

76 Those who believe fight in the cause of Allah, and those who reject Faith Fight in the cause of Evil: So fight ye against the friends of Satan: feeble indeed is the cunning of Satan.

Quran (8:12) - "I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve. Therefore strike off their heads and strike off every fingertip of them"
Again, you quoted out of context and did not quote the next verse (i.e. 8:13) which explains this verse. This verse was revealed during the battle of badr or Uhud (allahu allam) when the prophet(saw) and his followers left mecca and travelled to medina so that he can escape from the brutality of the jews, pagans and christians, yet these jews/christians/pagans were still not satisfied and planned to travel to medina and kill the prophet there so just like how allah send the red sea to bury pharoah and his solders who wanted to kill moses and the children of isreal, allah sent angels to smite the necks and finger tips of the jews/christians/pagans. Allah states in ch8 v12-13 that he instructed this because they wanted to kill the prophet(saw);-

12 Remember thy Lord inspired the angels (with the message): "I am with you: give firmness to the Believers: I will instil terror into the hearts of the Unbelievers: smite ye above their necks and smite all their finger-tips off them."

13 This because they contended against Allah and His Messenger: If any contend against Allah and His Messenger, Allah is strict in punishment.

Quran (9:30) - "And the Jews say: Ezra is the son of Allah; and the Christians say: The Messiah is the son of Allah; these are the words of their mouths; they imitate the saying of those who disbelieved before; may Allah destroy them; how they are turned away!"

Yes, as stated earlier, muslims believe christians and jews will abide in hell-fire just as christianity believes that anyone including muslims who doesn't believe jesus(as) as lord and saviour is condemned to hell fire.

Muslim (1:33) - the Messenger of Allah said: I have been commanded to fight against people till they testify that there is no god but Allah, that Muhammad is the messenger of Allah

This last verse you quoted seems to be a hadith and not a verse from the quran because i can't find the chapter. Anyways, the arabic word used for fight is "jihad" which means to "strive" and not really to fight. All prophets [ including abraham, lut, solomon, david, jacob, joseph, moses, zakariah, john the baptist, jesus(as) and muhammed(saw)] of God strove against their people until they accepted their preaching so this wasn't only specific to prophet muhammed(saw). All prophets of God where all muslims including Jesus christ (as) himself.

2 Likes

Re: 71 Year Old Prof Olofin Jumped Over FenceTo Escape BUK Attack by Faithjane: 5:34pm On Apr 30, 2012
hahahahahaha only God kw the way wey he take jump d fence. grin[/color][color=#000099]
Re: 71 Year Old Prof Olofin Jumped Over FenceTo Escape BUK Attack by passionate88: 5:37pm On Apr 30, 2012
shymmex: This is so unfair..

These folks are trying to serve their country - yet PDP's boko haram won't let them... And people wonder why there is brain drain in that country.

A sitting govt. sending people to kill people and destroy properties for what gain?. I don't believe that.. boko haram said they want sharia imposed on Nigerians is that what a govt. will want to do to his people according to your own reasoning?.
Re: 71 Year Old Prof Olofin Jumped Over FenceTo Escape BUK Attack by Nobody: 5:40pm On Apr 30, 2012
dexmond:

They are not attacking tribes but CHRISTIANS, Isla

Quran (2:216) - "Fighting is prescribed for you, and ye dislike it. But it is possible that ye dislike a thing which is good for you, and that ye love a thing which is bad for you. But Allah knoweth, and ye know not."

Quran (8:12) - "I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve. Therefore strike off their heads and strike off every fingertip of them"

Quran (9:30) - "And the Jews say: Ezra is the son of Allah; and the Christians say: The Messiah is the son of Allah; these are the words of their mouths; they imitate the saying of those who disbelieved before; may Allah destroy them; how they are turned away!"

Muslim (1:33) - the Messenger of Allah said: I have been commanded to fight against people till they testify that there is no god but Allah, that Muhammad is the messenger of Allah
^^^
wow! This is quite insightful.How can the world enjoy peace when we have such instructions and admonitions in the book of one of the major religion in the world?
Re: 71 Year Old Prof Olofin Jumped Over FenceTo Escape BUK Attack by passionate88: 5:43pm On Apr 30, 2012
[b]
TheShopKeeper: ISLAM, WHAT A RELIGION?

“So, fight them till all opposition ends and the only religion is Islam” Qur’an 8:39
“Terrorize and behead those who believe in scriptures other than the Qur’an.” 8:12
“When opportunity arises, kill the infidels wherever you catch them.” Qur'an 9:5
“Make war on the infidels [christians and jews ] living in your neighborhood.” 9:123
“Punish the unbelievers with garments of fire, hooked iron rods, boiling water; melt their skin and bellies.” 22:19
“Do not hanker for peace with the infidels; behead them when you catch them.” 47:4
[/b]

Wow........... all these verses can be found inside the qua ran?.
Re: 71 Year Old Prof Olofin Jumped Over FenceTo Escape BUK Attack by ajanaku2(m): 7:16pm On Apr 30, 2012
TheShopKeeper: ISLAM, WHAT A RELIGION?

No doubt, it's a Religion from the Depths of Hell!...I ain't the religious type, but I'm always glad I was born into a Christian Home...
Re: 71 Year Old Prof Olofin Jumped Over FenceTo Escape BUK Attack by shadrach77: 8:19pm On Apr 30, 2012
i heard he's jazzman olofin's father shocked sad wink
Re: 71 Year Old Prof Olofin Jumped Over FenceTo Escape BUK Attack by mannyU: 8:30pm On Apr 30, 2012
Dede1:

Nigeria is one of the most useless countries in the world and the inhabitants are not far behind it. If the professors killed during BUK attack were Igbo, the above post would have stated Boko Haram are killing Ndigbo instead of the copout such as “They are not attacking tribes but CHRISTIANS, Islam hates Christians and Jews”.

When Igbo are killed in the senseless attacks by the Boko Haram in northern region, the caption reads Hausa/Fulani/Kaunri and Muslims in the north are slaughtering Ndigbo. However, when the number of deaths from the same idiotic attack by Boko Haram seemed to come from tribes other than Igbo, then the attacks are not targeted at tribes but Christians.

Like seriously? Me I think the only clueless inhabitant of the country is you!!! Just what were you trying to say? Read your post above and tell me if you made sense to even yourself. Better to shut up and be thought a fool than to ...
Re: 71 Year Old Prof Olofin Jumped Over FenceTo Escape BUK Attack by Ninilowo(m): 8:51pm On Apr 30, 2012
9jadelta: gbam
military mind.. Na so
All the way..............go to go
shaaaaaaannnnnn sir!
Re: 71 Year Old Prof Olofin Jumped Over FenceTo Escape BUK Attack by Aladinn(m): 10:08pm On Apr 30, 2012
nigexport:

Allah states in ch109 v1-6;- [/b]Say: O ye that reject Faith! ,I worship not that which ye worship, Nor will ye worship that which I worship. And I will not worship that which ye have been wont to worship, Nor will ye worship that which I worship. To you be your Way, and to me mine.

You selected this verse out of context. You see, when people started accepting islam in the city of Mecca, the pagans, jews and early christians where killing the new converted muslims, torturing them and banishing them from their home town(mecca), therefore many ran away and forsook the religion so this verses was revealed telling them to fight back. To properly understand this verse, you must also include the next verse (i.e. verse 217) of the same chapter in the quran. You see, the verse you quoted does not explain whom allah tells us to fight, or why to fight, it just states we should fight, therefore, to understand this verse you must continue reading till the next verse. i.e ch2 v 217, allah states;-
.... but graver is it in the sight of Allah to prevent access to the path of Allah, to deny Him, to prevent access to the Sacred Mosque, and drive out its members." Tumult and oppression are worse than slaughter. Nor will they cease fighting you until they turn you back from your faith if they can. And if any of you Turn back from their faith and die in unbelief, their works will bear no fruit in this life and in the Hereafter; they will be companions of the Fire and will abide therein.

Again, you are quoting out of context. The verse you quoted is incomplete, as allah mentions two types of people fighting here;- one fighting for evil(satan) and the other fighting for good (allah). I'll also quote the immediate verse before this verse so readers can truly understand the statement, ch4 v75-76;-
75 And why should ye not fight in the cause of Allah and of those who, being weak, are ill-treated- Men, women, and children, whose cry is: "Our Lord! Rescue us from this town, whose people are oppressors; and raise for us from thee one who will protect; and raise for us from thee one who will help!"

76 Those who believe fight in the cause of Allah, and those who reject Faith Fight in the cause of Evil: So fight ye against the friends of Satan: feeble indeed is the cunning of Satan.

Again, you quoted out of context and did not quote the next verse (i.e. 8:13) which explains this verse. This verse was revealed during the battle of badr or Uhud (allahu allam) when the prophet(saw) and his followers left mecca and travelled to medina so that he can escape from the brutality of the jews, pagans and christians, yet these jews/christians/pagans were still not satisfied and planned to travel to medina and kill the prophet there so just like how allah send the red sea to bury pharoah and his solders who wanted to kill moses and the children of isreal, allah sent angels to smite the necks and finger tips of the jews/christians/pagans. Allah states in ch8 v12-13 that he instructed this because they wanted to kill the prophet(saw);-

12 Remember thy Lord inspired the angels (with the message): "I am with you: give firmness to the Believers: I will instil terror into the hearts of the Unbelievers: smite ye above their necks and smite all their finger-tips off them."

13 This because they contended against Allah and His Messenger: If any contend against Allah and His Messenger, Allah is strict in punishment.

Yes, as stated earlier, muslims believe christians and jews will abide in hell-fire just as christianity believes that anyone including muslims who doesn't believe jesus(as) as lord and saviour is condemned to hell fire.

This last verse you quoted seems to be a hadith and not a verse from the quran because i can't find the chapter. Anyways, the arabic word used for fight is "jihad" which means to "strive" and not really to fight. All prophets [ including abraham, lut, solomon, david, jacob, joseph, moses, zakariah, john the baptist, jesus(as) and muhammed(saw)] of God strove against their people until they accepted their preaching so this wasn't only specific to prophet muhammed(saw). All prophets of God where all muslims including Jesus christ (as) himself.
I'll be so happy if you can preach this to those Islamic extremist who believe to slaughter a non-muslim is to do the pious will of Allah. Don't blame the non muslims for quoting the Quoran out of context, blame the islamic extremists for acting the Quoran out of context. The Arab world are most guilty of these. I guess its high time you preach islam back to the extremists, and non muslims would understand your angle of interpreting the Quoran.

1 Like

Re: 71 Year Old Prof Olofin Jumped Over FenceTo Escape BUK Attack by gbogboti: 11:30pm On Apr 30, 2012
dexmond:

After they will say islam is a religion of peace. Even the yorubas 'll be saying the same thing. Please all muslim yorubas, come and prove all these koranic chapters wrong let's see. Islam? No! Not a religion. A very demonic religion.
Re: 71 Year Old Prof Olofin Jumped Over FenceTo Escape BUK Attack by Dede1(m): 1:01am On May 01, 2012
manny U:

Like seriously? Me I think the only clueless inhabitant of the country is you!!! Just what were you trying to say? Read your post above and tell me if you made sense to even yourself. Better to shut up and be thought a fool than to ...

My posts are not meant to be understood by moronic trolls within your intellectual stratum, olodo.
Re: 71 Year Old Prof Olofin Jumped Over FenceTo Escape BUK Attack by OneNaira6: 4:48am On May 01, 2012
Timijo: Those saying that PDP is BH are not helping matter at all. Infact, they are objects of confusion. Why saying what you don't know? The looser of the 2011 election vowed to make the tenure of GEJ ungovernable and indeed he is doing what he said. But he has forgotten that God reigns and his days are numbered. If a northern man has emerged has president, there wouldn't have been any BH. What amaze me is that many christians that suppose to support GEJ and the nation with prayers have now b'com critics. This is what a hausa man will never do. You we hear them (hausas) saying "Namu ne" meaning, he is our own i.e. Our son. My complaints and yours cannot stop the act of terrorism, but God can. Let's join voice together in prayer for God to deliver this Great Nation from terrorism. Thanks.

It is the education system in Nigeria that is affecting them not to understand azazi words. Azazi from what I see re communicated what everyone knew and that is PDP is to blame but the blame is more so to Buhari, Atiku, etc. GEJ didnot make it any better by coming up and trying to debunk what Azazi mentioned. It sortof put him in the broad light. Azazi spoke the truth, Nigerians on the other hand are interrupting it whichever it deem fit.
Re: 71 Year Old Prof Olofin Jumped Over FenceTo Escape BUK Attack by IbroSaunks(m): 10:22am On May 01, 2012
nigexport:

Firstly, islam does not hate christians, although islam believes christians will enter hell-fire just as christians believe muslims that don't accept jesus(as) as lord and saviour will also enter hell-fire. Islam believes muslims should go their way and christians and jews should go their way. Allah states in ch109 v1-6;- Say: O ye that reject Faith! ,I worship not that which ye worship, Nor will ye worship that which I worship. And I will not worship that which ye have been wont to worship, Nor will ye worship that which I worship. To you be your Way, and to me mine.

nice of you to point all this stuff out. however, this is not the 1st and will not be the last time that people will use these verses of the Qur'an to fuel their misunderstanding of Islam. I have seen people quote these verses on soo many threads here, and people like you explain to deaf ears frankly. nice post, but don't be surprised if people still say crap and insult Islam on this thread..
Re: 71 Year Old Prof Olofin Jumped Over FenceTo Escape BUK Attack by kingPINN(m): 10:33am On May 01, 2012
Re: 71 Year Old Prof Olofin Jumped Over FenceTo Escape BUK Attack by member479760: 11:23am On May 01, 2012
They are all fools wasting their time worshiping Jesus. if it is IFA they are worshiping, the IFA will tell them to be careful and they will get voodoo to destroy incoming forces. Let them continue to waste their time, BH will finish dem one by one.
Re: 71 Year Old Prof Olofin Jumped Over FenceTo Escape BUK Attack by Docosward(m): 11:28am On May 01, 2012
dexmond:

i think ur Allah is a Demon or Devil... What kind of god who can not fight for himself but causing hatred between people? Allah whatsoever he is called is fake.
Re: 71 Year Old Prof Olofin Jumped Over FenceTo Escape BUK Attack by Neddyogu(m): 6:29pm On May 01, 2012
71 years old, scaling a fence? Mehnnn, talk of pure adrenaline!
Re: 71 Year Old Prof Olofin Jumped Over FenceTo Escape BUK Attack by ziediolike(m): 11:43pm On May 01, 2012
What is a man doing at d age of 71 in a univasity? I taut it wus 70 dat is d retirement age 4 prof. Congrats at ur dissapearing 2 d oda side of d fence.. Sori scaling d fence
Re: 71 Year Old Prof Olofin Jumped Over FenceTo Escape BUK Attack by Neutralizer(m): 1:03am On May 03, 2012
@ Nigexport, wat's ur comment on TheShopkeeper's post?
Re: 71 Year Old Prof Olofin Jumped Over FenceTo Escape BUK Attack by Omofranca(f): 1:18am On May 03, 2012
These criminals had a field day for almost 50 minutes; in this day of modern technology why did it take so long for help to arrive?
Re: 71 Year Old Prof Olofin Jumped Over FenceTo Escape BUK Attack by Detongue: 2:20am On May 03, 2012
Who is dis fhoool quoting d koran. Dis ur mohamed must b a tyrant
Re: 71 Year Old Prof Olofin Jumped Over FenceTo Escape BUK Attack by maclatunji: 9:22am On May 03, 2012
Bereal247:
^^^
wow! This is quite insightful.How can the world enjoy peace when we have such instructions and admonitions in the book of one of the major religion in the world?

Wow! You are so gullible, can't you see that those verses have not been quoted in full and have been yanked from an anti-Islamic website? The guy even added his own comments in some places. Go and ask the de-facto leader of Christianity, the Pope why he interacts pleasantly with leading Muslim clerics and even visited the blue mosque in Turkey if Islam is all your ignorant TEACHER wants you to believe.

Let me guess... You are more Christian than the Pope. LOL- pathetic ignorant minions!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

PHCN Assets: IBB, Abdulsalami, Tinubu Lead Bid Battle / Resume Or Resign: Senate Is Buhari’s Errand Boys – Charlie Boy / Obama Considering Visiting Nigeria In July-New York Times

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.